Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

sadly Overwatch rounds aren't long enough to justify implementing the Onos devour, and Blizzard wouldn't have the stones for it anyways :v:

Wonder if they could squeeze in something like a Fade, though. Melee damage only with a targeted quick move ability that uses a recharging bar instead of cooldowns. Probably not. Really I just want to relive my Fade glory days from NS1. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Countblanc posted:

Reaper and Roadhog kill her, Reinhardt pretty effectively shuts her down pretty well and brawls her well if she hasn't energied up.

I don't like playing against her as road hog at all. Despite having most of my time as him going against Zarya is new though. Is there any tips for that specific match up?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheTatteredKing posted:

I don't like playing against her as road hog at all. Despite having most of my time as him going against Zarya is new though. Is there any tips for that specific match up?

switch heroes or avoid her

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're playing with a group, hook her into them and focus her down

if you're playing alone, she'll probably win that fight but you can technically kill her in two shots if you're really on point

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheTatteredKing posted:

Hook her, shoot her to break her shield, shoot her two more times because she has zero ways to make distance from you or disable you in any way and she has no means of outdpsing you at 50 charge (or 100 charge if you're in her face). Ideally you wont even need to hook her if the situation allows you to walk close to her (corners, reinhardts, whatever) since then you can meatshot her, bait the shield, then hook and shoot.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
on the other hand projected barrier is probably going to gently caress over your hook attempts on her teammates unless you play around her line of sight

(you should definitely keep track of her cooldowns either way)

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

TheTatteredKing posted:

Who's good against Zarya? She poops all over the people I like playing

She requires basically the majority of the team to coordinate to reliably take down. It probably doesn't help that most teams don't intrinsically agree on whether to avoid a shield or try to power through it. Her biggest and most direct weakness is sustained combat/fire, and just trouncing her with everyone ensures she doesn't put her superior charged DPS to work. That's in direct contrast to her regenerating shield and cooldown abilities, which means she's a gigantic recurring threat if she's allowed to escape.

That aside, anything that fights from outside her effective range and can stay out of that range consistently counts as a soft counter. It should also be noted that even at full charge, her further-ranged alt-fire isn't super powerful against single targets and only does about 20 more DPS than her uncharged primary fire.

Pharah can pick her apart at her leisure out of Zarya's range; sort of a similar deal as to how Pharah can fight Junkrat. Widowmaker is somewhat similar and Zarya really lacks any good way to sneak up on her.

If Bastion catches a Zarya out in the open she's done. Sure it'll get a full-charge on her, but unless she counters really fast, the shield will just melt in a split-second under the turret. The big key to that working though is being able to do it by surprise, which means executing the strange and difficult tactic of changing positions as a Bastion.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I asked a friend of mine who is much better at this game than I am what he thinks about Zarya and he's pretty convinced 76 has a very favorable matchup against her (and her effect on the battle in general). So much of 76's damage is spread out over time meaning Zarya has a lot of trouble finding a good time to bubble for charge since he can just stop shooting compared to burstier or projectile heroes. He can also sprint out of her comfortable ranges and fight from a much greater range than Zarya excels at.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TheTatteredKing posted:

Bastion tears through her shields easily to just straight up kill her.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a lone bastion might as well paint a target on itself while holding up a sign with 'SHOOT ME' written on it

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Countblanc posted:

Hook her, shoot her to break her shield, shoot her two more times because she has zero ways to make distance from you or disable you in any way and she has no means of outdpsing you at 50 charge (or 100 charge if you're in her face). Ideally you wont even need to hook her if the situation allows you to walk close to her (corners, reinhardts, whatever) since then you can meatshot her, bait the shield, then hook and shoot.

Ah I'm respecting her too much, thank you. Also that 76 but is interesting and sounds right

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

TheTatteredKing posted:

Bastion is a good counter if she's caught in the open. He can flat-out ignore her barrier and just kill her. A Zarya aware of Bastion's location, though, can bait Bastion to fire to charge her barrier by edging out of cover then ducking back once charged.

Zarya also has no reliable way to kill Pharah or Widowmaker. Zarya can resist being frozen by Mei once by popping her barrier. If Mei isn't killed or forced back after that, Zarya is dead. S76 is tough to deal with mostly because he'll run away to heal away all the damage she did.

Reaper and Roadhog are iffy. If the first shot doesn't finish her, she can pop a barrier and get half charge, or worse yet pop the barrier before your first shot lands and get charge and still have full health. I'll also give honorable mention to a Tracer who kept killing me in a King's Row defense match when I was busy with the other enemies. Pulse Bomb can one-shot Zarya if she isn't fast enough on the barrier (or it's on cooldown).

Zarya's biggest weakness is being alone. She can't fight off 4 people at once. If her teammates rush to her side to support, though, she can ride that momentum to push the enemy back to their spawn (I've done that a few times). Additionally, if she dies she loses all energy even if revived by a Mercy.

I had a match defending Route 66 where two of my teammates locked in Genji at the start. I politely suggested that Genji does not make a very good choice for defending the first part. Other teammates also suggested that one change. Nah, they didn't care, it was just quickplay who cares. Fair enough, so I picked D.Va, which is my default "we're going to lose anyway, so might as well make it entertaining" choice.

When the enemy was nearing the last point, I got bored of D.Va's ineffectiveness and switched to Bastion, and then Symmetra, to counter the enemy Reinhardt and Genji. I didn't have much time for clever turret placement so I just put them in good-enough looking places. Between the turrets and the laser chainsaw, I did enough damage to get up two teleporters (although the first one didn't last long - I had no time to hide that one either).

Somehow we held on for the win. I like to think that Sym carried that team, although nothing I did was flashy, not even enough to get a highlight.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheTatteredKing posted:

Ah I'm respecting her too much, thank you. Also that 76 but is interesting and sounds right

I think people giving too much respect to their opponent is a pretty big problem for most players right now. Lots of characters have really scary buttons in this game but if you just like, walk into people and shoot them you can often get a surprising amount of work done.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Countblanc posted:

I think people giving too much respect to their opponent is a pretty big problem for most players right now. Lots of characters have really scary buttons in this game but if you just like, walk into people and shoot them you can often get a surprising amount of work done.

I do this all the time as Junkrat. It really loving freaks people out and causes them to panic and not really know what to do even though their characters should easily be able to deal with me in close quarters. But you have this smiling crippled lunatic rushing right in you face shooting explody balls at you and if he dies you'll probably die with him because of his death grenades and it tends to freak people out

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Macaluso posted:

I do this all the time as Junkrat. It really loving freaks people out and causes them to panic and not really know what to do even though their characters should easily be able to deal with me in close quarters. But you have this smiling crippled lunatic rushing right in you face shooting explody balls at you and if he dies you'll probably die with him because of his death grenades and it tends to freak people out

This has been my experience with Junkrat, too. It's especially noticeable on Reinhardt, who will happily let you walk up to him, place a trap then blow him up because he doesn't want to take you out.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
in-house and stream starting in about 5-10 minutes. Get in the In-House discord for a spot, or watch the stream in 5-10 minutes here (with new and improved graphics!): https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

a lone bastion might as well paint a target on itself while holding up a sign with 'SHOOT ME' written on it

Good thing Bastion will have a team too?

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

I don't really mind getting instagibbed by widow or pre-need Mcree, but I think today was the only time I've ever become dangerously unchill while playing this game.

I joined a goon group on discord, and picked widow. We won our first game, and lost our second. One of the goons just talked a massive amount of poo poo saying that I was the worst sniper ever and was the reason they lost the game. I decided to ignore it, and went to go take care of my baby who was throwing a fit.

Since I left my discord on, I was able to hear this goon CONTINUE to talk poo poo. I am the opposite of an Internet rager, but I was just furious. I can't believe some goons are so loving intolerable when playing a game designed for literal children in a mode that is non-competitive whatsoever. It just boggles my mind.

I think I'm just going to stick with inhouses from now on. The games are considerably better, everyone is pleasant, and there is frequently post-match chat to discuss the game and potential improvements by highly skilled players.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Wow what a traumatizing experience...

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Thats karma for sniping me one too many times

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Just got 9 kills using Rocket Barrage in one game (three triple kills) by coming at enemies from behind, usually close range and near ground level. Fun!

Countblanc posted:

In particular, Reinhardt is too used to enemies keeping away from him when his shield is up. He rarely expects people to just walk through it and shoot him. They also tend to raise their shield when at low health, but if I know he's at low health, I'll even step through the shield as a Mercy.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

sleepness posted:

I don't really mind getting instagibbed by widow or pre-need Mcree, but I think today was the only time I've ever become dangerously unchill while playing this game.

I joined a goon group on discord, and picked widow. We won our first game, and lost our second. One of the goons just talked a massive amount of poo poo saying that I was the worst sniper ever and was the reason they lost the game. I decided to ignore it, and went to go take care of my baby who was throwing a fit.

Since I left my discord on, I was able to hear this goon CONTINUE to talk poo poo. I am the opposite of an Internet rager, but I was just furious. I can't believe some goons are so loving intolerable when playing a game designed for literal children in a mode that is non-competitive whatsoever. It just boggles my mind.

I think I'm just going to stick with inhouses from now on. The games are considerably better, everyone is pleasant, and there is frequently post-match chat to discuss the game and potential improvements by highly skilled players.

That really grinds me gears. I talk a lot of poo poo but never to my own teammates especially if I'm in a goon group. Just stay away from that guy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Had a fun match with some goons tonight, and jeez I am starting to get really good with Symemtra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjFfqYyG2YA

Not shown is Mei also dying to that laser.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sleepness posted:

Maybe he was right?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

sleepness posted:

Goon groups/guilds for super popular games are pretty insufferable in my experience. I've taken to only playing with goons when it's something a bit older/more niche where everyone tends to be a lot more chill.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Vargs posted:

Goon groups/guilds for super popular games are pretty insufferable in my experience. I've taken to only playing with goons when it's something a bit older/more niche where everyone tends to be a lot more chill.

I dunno, maybe I've just been lucky but the goon groups I've played in have been pretty fun for the most part. They've ranged from mostly silent, which really isn't much different to just playing a pub (and so is no worse) to "All Torb/Hanzo" gimmicks which are pretty enjoyable, to actual attempts at coordination which were always in good spirit win or lose. Really, the worst I've had is where a group forms up, loses a couple, and just disbands which is no different than pubbing.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

fadam posted:

Maybe he was right?

Which makes it perfectly acceptable to be a dick about.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Which makes it perfectly acceptable to be a dick about.

I don't know what he actually said, but there's nothing wrong with telling someone they're doing a bad job if they're doing a bad job.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

sleepness posted:

Name and shame.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah let's get this out of thread drama going so we can get it closed Dota style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was part of that game and before this stupid thing gets going further and becomes a weird source of drama:

Sleepless made some comment before I joined to one of the other players on the discord which other people on the call were ribbing him about. It was apparently a joke but it left him upset and in response he kept playing Widowmaker which the other person wanted to play, intentionally picking it so they felt obligated to pick another character, even when they asked him to swap. After the third or so game in a row he got called on it and whoever was hosting the game kicked him. (I think as a joke but I'm not going to speak for anyone else and it was hard to tell how much actual frustration was going on there.) Sleepless admitted he was doing it but also said he was really gonna swap that time and then left the game before he could be reinvited. I legitimately don't recall anyone saying anything after he left but I honestly wasn't paying too much attention so maybe that's true, but it wasn't a case of "mean goon said bad things about me for playing a sniper."

There. Can it be dropped now?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I was part of that game and before this stupid thing gets going further and becomes a weird source of drama:

Sleepless made some comment before I joined to one of the other players on the discord which other people on the call were ribbing him about. It was apparently a joke but it left him upset and in response he kept playing Widowmaker which the other person wanted to play, intentionally picking it so they felt obligated to pick another character, even when they asked him to swap. After the third or so game in a row he got called on it and whoever was hosting the game kicked him. (I think as a joke but I'm not going to speak for anyone else and it was hard to tell how much actual frustration was going on there.) Sleepless admitted he was doing it but also said he was really gonna swap that time and then left the game before he could be reinvited. I legitimately don't recall anyone saying anything after he left but I honestly wasn't paying too much attention so maybe that's true, but it wasn't a case of "mean goon said bad things about me for playing a sniper."

There. Can it be dropped now?

The plot thickens...

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah let's get this out of thread drama going so we can get it closed Dota style.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
So what is everyone's current strategy for preferring players now that "avoid" has been removed?

I prefer literally anybody who says something positive or funny in the chat and it's working out pretty well so far. :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

So what is everyone's current strategy for preferring players now that "avoid" has been removed?

I prefer literally anybody who says something positive or funny in the chat and it's working out pretty well so far. :)

Honestly, I haven't really encountered anyone bad enough in game to avoid anything in general. Most of the people who play seem super-chill or never say anything at all.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

fadam posted:

I don't know what he actually said, but there's nothing wrong with telling someone they're doing a bad job if they're doing a bad job.

You're doing a bad job of posting.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, I haven't really encountered anyone bad enough in game to avoid anything in general. Most of the people who play seem super-chill or never say anything at all.

This has been my experience as well. The community of Overwatch that I've seen so far has been way better than many other games I've played to date, in that it seems pretty passive and neutral.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I commend anyone playing a support or tank so hopefully I end up getting stuck in those roles 85% of the time instead of 90%.

I haven't really seen anyone I really felt the need to avoid. Some people play crappy, but the game hasn't been out long enough to blacklist anyone over it and you ought to rocket out of their MMR bracket pretty quick unless you yourself are equally poo poo in some other way anyway.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The first attack point for Hanamura is such a pain in the rear end. The defense side can lock it down so easily.

Also last night me and my friends went all Lucios for The Well on Illios. It had to have taken 6 or 7 minutes before one of our sides managed to capture the point for the first time. It was at 0% for both sides for a really long time. And there came a point where we were just using our ults one after the other, so it was just constant LET'S BREAK IT DOWN, LET'S BREAK IT DOWN, LET'S BREAK IT DOWN. And since the stuff doesn't stack, some of us went healing, some of us went speed boost so we were all just flying around the point. We couldn't kill the other team fast enough though so they keep being able to get to the point before we could officially capture it. The funniest part though was at some point someone on the other team went "this is absurd" which just made me laugh really hard for some reason

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I played Road Hog and He's pretty neat. I knocked some people into a hole. The pulls were super hosed up though. Sometimes they'd land behind me or I wouldn't be able to get a shot off while they're stunned. I feel like the latter issue was mostly my own doing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The stun is fixed so if you hook someone from range they'll be able to move and activate abilities by the time they get to you.