Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sullat posted:

Maybe yours is? But I use the Latin alphabet. True Roman characters for True Romans.

Trve Roman characters for Trve Romans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Make Rome Great Again, MAGNA for short

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

I've got a dilemma today, folks. Do I lead by complaining about how HEY GAL's influence has directly led to me opining "It is a shame that General Nivelle is not a wizard"? (If he is, he's goddamn Pallando.) Do I lead with how Lt-Col Fraser-Tytler has got six other officers all tightly crammed into his tunnel entrance back passage tunnel entrance? Or do I lead with how the Germans have attacked again, and are now seriously threatening to cut off Bras? I swear, I was all over Hansard looking for some activity by the Leader of the Conservative Party to make things perfect, but sadly there is no Bonar Law to be had in the House at the moment.

I'm sorry, I'll read that again.

100 Years Ago

The Germans attack again at Verdun, Henri Desagneaux has a front-row seat as they threaten to capture Fleury and cut off Bras, and HEY GAL is entirely to blame for today's lament that General Nivelle is not a wizard. Herbert Sulzbach remembers once more that he has a diary; Lt-Col Fraser-Tytler has an amusing mishap in his observation post that ends with six other men stuffed into his tunnel entrance; Oskar Teichman admires the Suez Canal defences; Edward Mousley gets caught in a sandstorm; E.S. Thompson appears to have a good platoon commander; and Maximilian Mugge is still pushing paper around the base at Boulogne.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Kopijeger posted:

Semi-serious question: what is the most recent notable contribution to civilisation made by a Greek? The works of Domênikos "El Greco" Theotokópoulos is the most recent example I can think of off the top of my head.

I have a friend who's greek-Canadian and she is cool

Very militant about proper feta cheese only being made from goat's milk, tho

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Greek/turkish girls are pretty drat nice if they manage to take care of their facial hair.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Greek/turkish girls are pretty drat nice if they manage to take care of their facial hair.

the mustache is part of my appeal

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

the mustache is part of my appeal

Goes really well together with upper body strength and a stabby weapon, in a bad 80s action flick kind of way.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koesj posted:

Goes really well together with upper body strength and a stabby weapon, in a bad 80s action flick kind of way.

italian women are basically tom selleck in chick form

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Alphabet is phoenician!

Thats an abjad (no vowels) :colbert:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hows loving Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou, a.k.a. Vangelis, for a recent Greek cultural contribution? You uncultured swines.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Hows loving Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou, a.k.a. Vangelis, for a recent Greek cultural contribution? You uncultured swines.

Whom amongst us does not enjoy Yanni

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Whom amongst us does not enjoy Yanni

Hey.

Hey.

I beat you and I want credit. :colbert:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hey.

Hey.

I beat you and I want credit. :colbert:

Congrats on your first good post

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah I got nothing that was a great burn.

You win.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The Furies looks really interesting to me. Also lol

quote:

“The misery of war is Mr. Martines's great theme. Rather than focusing on strategy and diplomatic maneuvers, he writes military history from the sharp end, from the victims' perspective. Whereas in our own day the constant focus on victims can be problematical, since it makes it hard for democracies to fight opponents who have no scruples, such an approach is entirely appropriate in dealing with the wars of past oppressors.” ¯The Wall Street Journal

an important lesson for everyone, except us

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So in the past 2 weeks or so Britain has basically turned into 1930s Japan. I expect by this time next year they will be conducting a full scale invasion of Romania or something.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

So in the past 2 weeks or so Britain has basically turned into 1930s Japan. I expect by this time next year they will be conducting a full scale invasion of Romania or something.

In that a politician got shot?

I mean, we're missing some key elements here.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Throatwarbler posted:

1930's Japan had the capacity to fly planes off boats. Britain in 2016 doesn't.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Last time the British ran away from Europe like this was in 1940.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

the JJ posted:

In that a politician got shot?

I mean, we're missing some key elements here.

Some far right nationalist shot some politician. Everybody got really angry, both sides tamped up fear on stay vs go. Now we're out the EU.

I don't care that much, but i've never hated a vote so much in my life, just on how we're acting.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Kemper Boyd posted:

1930's Japan had the capacity to fly planes off boats. Britain in 2016 doesn't.

:iceburn:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hazzard posted:

Some far right nationalist shot some politician. Everybody got really angry, both sides tamped up fear on stay vs go. Now we're out the EU.

I don't care that much, but i've never hated a vote so much in my life, just on how we're acting.
Really it's more of a WWI than WWII similarity, but that totally didn't gently caress the world economy or anything.

Right? :ohdear:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Arquinsiel posted:

Really it's more of a WWI than WWII similarity, but that totally didn't gently caress the world economy or anything.

My grandma is ancient, and she's been saying a lot that she feels like the world's in the same place it was when she was a child, i.e. immediately before WW2.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

swamp waste posted:

an important lesson for everyone, except us
wow that's evil

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Well the pound sterling immediately tanked like nobody's business. Time to buy a sword from Marco Danelli! :shepspends:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

Well the pound sterling immediately tanked like nobody's business. Time to buy a sword from Marco Danelli! :shepspends:

it's almost where the euro was when i started my doctorate, holy poo poo

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Phanatic posted:

Butt stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh_sTbO79wU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

spectralent posted:

My grandma is ancient, and she's been saying a lot that she feels like the world's in the same place it was when she was a child, i.e. immediately before WW2.

I can't say I like the idea that we're going to be the subjects of a future version of this thread.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Splode posted:

I can't say I like the idea that we're going to be the subjects of a future version of this thread.
we would have anyway

edit: studying the 17th century will make you a pessimist and a fatalist

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 24, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I hope trag can still post his daily updates from the eurabian front

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

We're overdue a period of sharp, violent backsliding I guess?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Splode posted:

History is a nightmare from which we try to awaken. Sorry!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i just found out my friend's son is named Magnus Maximilian so germans with silly (yet impressive) names are still a thing

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

we would have anyway

edit: studying the 17th century will make you a pessimist and a fatalist

Can't say I've never fired and thrown something out the window, I guess history really is circular.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Arquinsiel posted:

We're overdue a period of sharp, violent backsliding I guess?

That is in as many words her position, yeah.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

... A few years earlier a KGB assassin had tried for murder and only got sentenced as an accomplice to murder because the judges ruled that someone acting under orders in a totalitarian system was not fully culpable for their actions. Obviously this had implications for trying Holocaust perpetrators. The only killings that they could get someone on directly were those committed without orders or where they were the primary order giver.

Do you have some more details?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, at least it won't be the Germans that start the next party, what with their military and stuff

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spectralent posted:

Exactly who's supposed to be the aggressor here? Is Russia going to make a serious attempt at conquering Europe? Because from everything I've seen of their actions, Putin doesn't really have any outright suicidal plans and isn't a crazy genocidal one-ball like Hitler.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Getting involved in a world war is a lot sexier than a slow decline into an economically moribund irrelevance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well, this sucks.

• Locked thread