Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I'm saying that sometimes people miss poo poo. Say Joe has to babysit, or cram for finals, or pick up a shift, or he's in a bad mood and wants to focus on Werewolf stuff instead of family drama.

Multiple PCs is ok but it's rough for DMs to plan for.

The Mummy is ok in concept but it doesn't do much the Wyrm doesn't. It does the skin for the skinless "I'm built entirely around giving a condition" playbooks, unlike the Sphinx (who has cool riddles!) or the Vampire (ancient menace/abusive ex.)
Which teenager IS the Mummy? Who in the yearbook acted this way?

MH is the hardest game to write playbooks for b/c you need to make a minigame, a monster metaphor, AND a teen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Golden Bee posted:

The Mummy is ok in concept but it doesn't do much the Wyrm doesn't. It does the skin for the skinless "I'm built entirely around giving a condition" playbooks, unlike the Sphinx (who has cool riddles!) or the Vampire (ancient menace/abusive ex.)
Which teenager IS the Mummy? Who in the yearbook acted this way?

As I stated in the doc, it is entirely different from the Wyrm, despite having a similar design space. Yes, both can represent spoiled rich kids. But look at the themes of it and if you actually read them you'll see a ton of differences. The Wyrm is all about being a manipulator, who sees people as objects to be collected and horded. It uses material wealth to lure people into doing what it wants, it uses emotional power over other people to buy and trade favors.

The Mummy is the entitled rich kid who takes what they want, because their daddy is the police chief. As mentioned, again, in the doc, it's more like a darker less openly violent [barring one move] Werewolf in actual themes than a Wyrm, so the fact that you don't notice that is kind of big. It is literally spelled out in what their origins are - They are The Nice Guy. They pretend to be nice and helpful, when in reality it's all just their way of 'earning' you, since you're just an object that they can win over by being a nice person. Even their 'good person' moves of protecting and bandaging have the air of 'you belong to me' and 'i can stalk you better now that I was nice to you'. They think they're better than those 'jerks' or 'peasants', but in reality they're just as bad, if not worse.

The Wyrm doesn't care about romance, or the incredibly stalker-y focus of the Mummy, and the Mummy doesn't care about manipulating people to be their underlings and making others want their favors. Yeah 'people are objects' is similar, but it's 'people are tools to be traded around and used' vs ' people are prizes to be won'. Sure, a tool and a prize are both an object, but you don't use a prize you won to hammer in a nail.

Also, the Sphinx is a terrible playbook.

Literally every other complaint I had besides yours was: 'You focused too much on the teen, and not enough on being monstrous', which seems to be the opposite of your complaint. It's weird how that could happen.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 18, 2016

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

KittyEmpress posted:

Sure, a tool and a prize are both an object, but you don't use a prize you won to hammer in a nail.

Now you've got me wondering why the state fairs around here don't have carnival games where they give out tools. I'd totally play a test your strength game for a hammer, or try to ring a milk jug for a ratchet set.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
I've run a handful of playtest session of Malleus since I last posted about it. Based on some feedback from those session, and some discussion on G+, I've done another draft of the rules with some pretty significant changes. I've added, deleted and renamed some basic moves. I have altered the end of session process. There is a new archetype, and some major changes to some old ones. If anyone what to take a peek you can check out the latest draft here.

I have not yet updated the playbooks as of yet.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a first pass, but I'm looking to rework the Minotaur into something more coherent. This is before flavor, but the major change is to make it Volatile/Dark rather than Hot/Volatile. I haven't decided what to do with the sex move yet, but here is the move list. You'd get Labyrinth automatically and choose two more. Generally what changes I have made is to make it less finicky and much more elegant, centering around a central condition like the ghost without belaboring the mechanics overmuch.

Basically you are the minion and lurking monster, who ultimately is driven by loneliness. Those who are with you in this cycle of harassment you want to keep with you. Around the Corner means you are never far away from them, and In a China Shop represents that ultimately its not about hurting them, but really getting to things they care about. I envision the Minotaur in a relationship is like the violent jock who has his own issues, and the Sex Move is likely a desire to get reprieve, as it's very different from the more denial/inescapable Vampire in this way. Red Flag and Tribute means that people are rewarded for using the Minotaur to cause conflict. That being said, I feel it may still be too antagonistic. The Ghoul has Watchful Golem at least, and I feel this Skin needs something like that. Looking for ideas on that.

Labyrinth
Whenever you are angry and gaze into the abyss about someone, add this to the list of options on a 10: "you see how they have wronged you, give them the trapped condition." On a 7-9, add this to the list of options: "you see how much of a stupid beast they have made you out to be, give them the trapped condition and a String on you."

Around the Corner
You can spend a String on someone with the trapped condition to appear right around the corner (or behind them!).

Bully
When you use force to intimidate or harass someone, roll Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down. Take -1 ongoing to hold steady; if you fail, gain the condition Enraged instead of Terrified.

In a China Shop
When you lash out physically against someone who has the trapped condition, instead of receiving harm they can choose 1: Lose a String on someone, something precious to them is broken, give you a String on them. If you rolled a 10 or higher and they do not wish to be harmed, you choose what they give up instead.

Seeing Red
When someone deals harm to you, take a String on them.

Red Flag
When someone spends a String in order to get you to do what they want by offering you Experience, they mark experience.

Tribute
Whenever someone gives someone else the trapped condition, you lose a String on them.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 24, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'd change Bully to either

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Bully
When you use force to intimidate or harass someone, roll Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down. Take -1 ongoing to hold steady; if you fail, gain the condition Enraged instead of Terrified. When you run away, roll with Cold instead of Volatile.
Or

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Bully
When you use force to intimidate or harass someone, roll Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down. Take -1 ongoing to hold steady, on a 7-9 if you would gain the condition Terrified instead take Enraged.

The first one seems to fit thematically, making it easy for them to attack, but keeps both their defensive methods poor choices.

The second because you generally want to avoid dictating a failure result, but keeps the idea of them going to anger in a tight spot.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

GodFish posted:

The first one seems to fit thematically, making it easy for them to attack, but keeps both their defensive methods poor choices.

I agree that it fits thematically, but balances poorly in comparison to say, the Ghoul's Disaffected move. I liked the idea of getting angry instead of getting scared, though you're right about the failure text. shouldn't have just copy/pasted it.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
As of now, the previously-mentioned Killer World is in a playable state! Or, y'know, in a sparse mostly fluffless playtest-able state for which a playtest thread may or may not be going up in the near future in the Game Room.

As before, comments and criticism are appreciated.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 24, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
LICHTENSTEIN DO NOT READ

I'm preparing for my first "real" session of The Sprawl tomorrow evening, and I'm somewhat stumped for Corporation moves for some of the Corps my players have created.

Vishkar New Media is a huge media conglomerate that essentially wants to be 22nd Century Buzzfeed. They rely on automatically generated lowest-common-denominator content produced in overwhelming amounts just so one of those billion things goes viral and they can start pushing merchandise within hours. They have no qualms about abusing copyright law and shamelessly stealing other people's content. Their market practices are extremely aggressive, earning them the ire of other corps.

Rikimaru Foods is a junk food conglomerate that constantly bribes public health authorities, scientists and journalists to claim their garbage synthburgers cure cancer rather than cause it. They have a significant media presence; their face is a fat, obnoxious female chef.

HDD Conglomerate is a merger of Disney, Durex and a bunch of smaller companies. Their business model is essentially "sell them drugs, then sell them cartoons to watch while on drugs, then a truckload of dragon dildos once they grow up a bit". They control huge tracts of land in Central America, where they put up hundreds of theme parks.

All of these are very evocative, instinctively repulsive, and dirty chrome. So that much is good. You can see where they can start to come into conflict. But I kind of can't think of any cool moves they could make that would be both unique to them and clearly visible to the players.

For Vishkar, I was thinking so far:

- Steal someone's spotlight (one player has the Illustrious Directive, another is a Reporter)
- Buy someone out and shut them down (but this hardly feels unique)
- More?

Rikimaru:
- Lie through their teeth (while evocative and could interact nicely with the Reporter, I'm not sure how to frame it in practical terms, what could it really result in)
- More?

HDD:
- Corrupt and abuse the innocent (sounds largely like a long-term thing, though)
- More?

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

For Vishk, just steal people's identity. Have them live stream from the eyes of people in the player's day-to-day existence. Any "Sitcom characters vs Hollywood" story will work here.

Ex: Character shows up on TV w/ details pulled from PCs lives. A Trideo shoot interrupts day to day life and throws off the slum's economy. A glamorous actor is fleeing his eternal contract to the studio and needs PC to help them hide out.

HDD: Call on underlings
--Put a fun face on the monstrous
--Test things in public

Rik: Privatize a public health source
Take over a private concern
Buy off a source

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 30, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Golden Bee posted:

For Vishk, just steal people's identity. Have them live stream from the eyes of people in the player's day-to-day existence. Any "Sitcom characters vs Hollywood" story will work here.

HDD: Call on underlings
--Put a fun face on the monstrous
--Test things in public

Rik: Public a health source
Take over a private concern
Buy off a source

I just realised the Reporter has a cybereye :eyepop:, so thanks for that thought. Not sure what you're thinking about with the "Sitcom characters vs Hollywood" thing? I must admit I've never been much for sitcoms.

And what do you mean by "Public a health source"?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

I just realised the Reporter has a cybereye :eyepop:, so thanks for that thought. Not sure what you're thinking about with the "Sitcom characters vs Hollywood" thing? I must admit I've never been much for sitcoms.

And what do you mean by "Public a health source"?

Fixed

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Oh, yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks a lot, these are great!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I wrote n article on a new idea on splats in a pbta title that I saw other people experimenting with. I discuss the idea and some pros and cons I noticed. It might be interesting for devs for the engine.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 11, 2016

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Covok posted:

I wrote a new idea on splats in a pbta title. I discuss the idea and some pros and cons I noticed. It might be interesting for devs for the engine.

Good stuff !

I've been pondering something like that for my Traveller hack if it ever gets a real green light (and my publisher is making noises about running it by Marc Miller, so it might). My main focus right now is on the "A Team crossed with Indiana Jones, in space" style of Traveller play. To do a Merchants & Mortgages free trader game you'd need a whole different set of playbooks as well as more trade & commerce stuff in the rules. Likewise for mercenaries, space pirates, etc. Stats like Hard and Cool, basic moves like Drop Some Science would work for the base game, but not necessarily for the different tone of a space trucker game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Sorry, I mistyped before. I didn't come up with the idea, I found other people experimenting. My bad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Covok posted:

I wrote n article on a new idea on splats in a pbta title that I saw other people experimenting with. I discuss the idea and some pros and cons I noticed. It might be interesting for devs for the engine.

Would things like Inverse World and Grim World fit under this definition of splats? They both assume you have/already know Dungeon World, of course, but they're also both definitely Dungeon World and not their own complete games.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Harrow posted:

Would things like Inverse World and Grim World fit under this definition of splats? They both assume you have/already know Dungeon World, of course, but they're also both definitely Dungeon World and not their own complete games.

I'm not sure. Maybe? It's been so long since I read those games.

The main inspiration was works like Nifara's Exalted fan hack. There was also a white wolf hack of Urban Shadows that inspired it. Just this attempt to take 90s splat design and port it to pbta. It's like game modules that are able of being run independent, but can be used together.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Covok posted:

I'm not sure. Maybe? It's been so long since I read those games.

The main inspiration was works like Nifara's Exalted fan hack. There was also a white wolf hack of Urban Shadows that inspired it. Just this attempt to take 90s splat design and port it to pbta. It's like game modules that are able of being run independent, but can be used together.

Yeah, I think I'm understanding that style of splat mostly through the White Wolf lens, how World of Darkness has all these sub-games that can be run independently or together (though things get pretty chaotic when you mash them up). Things like Inverse World and Grim World don't go quite that far--they're mostly settings with a bunch of custom playbooks and some setting-specific moves for things in the setting that can't be successfully modeled by the base Dungeon World moves.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Two things:

1) I just learned that Vince McMahon once did a wrestling match with Shawn Micheals, a born again Christian, where he had God, represented as a spotlight, as his tag team partner. How would you do such lunacy in WWW:RPG. If the answer is you can't, that's fine as I can't just wanted to share that information.

2) On a Google+ post I setup for my article, someone made an interesting statement:

"That could be interesting. You could just go the traditional route and take each playbook and give it a splat. For example, a whole book dedicated to the Driver with more move choices more stuff on vehicles, maybe alternate vehicle rules etc. Maybe an extra playbook that is meant to be used for the "change your character to a new playbook move" for Drivers only. Advice on playing the Driver. Analysis on Drivers in fiction. Stuff like that. Just Driver, Driver, Driver." Name withheld as he probably didn't want me to use his real name.

This lead to me responding as such: "That's a really interesting idea, in it's own right. It could run into the issuse, of course, of bloat and that it might ignore that one of the best elements of pbta is the limits it imposes. That said, I can see this working out well for Dungeon World more than other pbta titles. DW is already less pbta than other pbta due to its earliness and the D&D elements, but also there is so much inspiration both in fiction and in games to make such splats as fantasy is the biggest trpg genre. It could be an interesting design experiment, if nothing else: can you add all this and not detract from what makes pbta good?"

So, what do you think? It's an interesting take on the idea, if nothing else, and it could be fun to see if you can get away with calling something "The Complete Book of the Dungeon World Fighter" without a C&D from Wizards.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Covok posted:

Two things:

1) I just learned that Vince McMahon once did a wrestling match with Shawn Micheals, a born again Christian, where he had God, represented as a spotlight, as his tag team partner. How would you do such lunacy in WWW:RPG. If the answer is you can't, that's fine as I can't just wanted to share that information.

This would just be background for most WWW games. Since it was clearly just a Heel Management Fucks With Face moment, it'd probably just be setup by a botch from HBK in some way a card or two before the match. If Vince McMahon sold for God (something that probably wouldn't happen if God came down from the heavens), it would probably be +work for the person selling the offense, if anything.

The same way you'd handle Man Loses Title Belt To The Title Belt and most of the shenanigans of pro wrestling. Just assume it's supposed to happen, and either count it as a promo, working the audience or a Wrestling move.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

God is the ultimate Non Player Wrestler, but it's worth noting he didn't take the pin in that match.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:siren: Avery Alder (née Mcdaldno) is back, and is looking for feedback via post and survey for a new edition of Mosterhearts. :siren:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Are there any PbtA games about being a god creating a world?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Apocron posted:

Are there any PbtA games about being a god creating a world?

I have a few half finished terrible attempts you can mine for ideas. It's a subject of game I'm interested in making a good PBTA hack for but just haven't gotten something I'm happy with. Probably because I've been too broad, trying to make it a creation myth, morality play, and Greek pantheon infighting myth.

Browse here

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

For totally freeform there's microscope; on the other hand, the fate "Gods and Monsters" supplement rules.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Golden Bee posted:

For totally freeform there's microscope; on the other hand, the fate "Gods and Monsters" supplement rules.

Seconding Gods and Monsters - I was in the playtest and it does exactly what you describe, complete with tying every session together into a fable with something like 'and that's why the moon rises every night' or 'and that's why we have dogs to help us out'.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Can someone explain to me the problems with Ghost? And at the risk of making GBS threads up the thread, the rife, gross misogyny in the example?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I remember asking after it a while back, but the original dropbox link to "i am killbot" has gone dead. I ran it at Origins, so I'd like to a) credit the author in future discussions, if any, and b) share the character sheet.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 24, 2016

megane
Jun 20, 2008

spectralent posted:

Can someone explain to me the problems with Ghost?
I dunno if there was something specific people had in mind, but something that I've heard people mention pretty often as being kind of blah is the Ghost's Darkest Self. You become invisible and nobody can see or hear you; you can explicitly mess with inanimate objects but that's it. In other words, you're basically cut off from interacting with other people unless you really go out of your way. And it only ends if someone "acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around." So... you have to fling toasters around until someone goes "Oh, I bet this invisible spirit tormenting us is actually Bob from my Social Studies class, and man, that's great, 'cause I love Bob"? It's weird, at the very least. Compare to every other DS, all of which push you to go out and interact with other people's lives in one way or another, and (almost) all of which have clear and inevitable end points.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Have any of you tried the Ars Magica hack Wizard World? I've been reading over the rule book and aside from some poor editing it seems more or less playable. I don't have a ton of experience with AW hacks though, so I don't know if there are any warning signs or obviously bad mechanics that will make the game harder to enjoy.

I would love to play a game about being a wizard and doing nerd wizard things, and something with simple and straightforward rules would be an easier sell to my friends than actual Ars Magica (or Mage).

Covok
May 27, 2013

drgnvale posted:

Have any of you tried the Ars Magica hack Wizard World? I've been reading over the rule book and aside from some poor editing it seems more or less playable. I don't have a ton of experience with AW hacks though, so I don't know if there are any warning signs or obviously bad mechanics that will make the game harder to enjoy.

I would love to play a game about being a wizard and doing nerd wizard things, and something with simple and straightforward rules would be an easier sell to my friends than actual Ars Magica (or Mage).

The links are dead.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Sorry, I forgot to link the thread with the (afaik) current version: http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=7217.0

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Apocalypse World 1st Edition is now free.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

spectralent posted:

And at the risk of making GBS threads up the thread, the rife, gross misogyny in the example?

People have probably told Avery that there are some unfortunate implications in setting up the long example of play as one PC having revenge sex with another PC's father which culminates in a cat fight between the PCs while one is pantyless

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I've been working on a Delta Green hack, would you all mind taking a look at it?

Foxtrot Orange, A Delta-Green Hack

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I've been working on a Delta Green hack, would you all mind taking a look at it?

Foxtrot Orange, A Delta-Green Hack

I see what you're doing with the Delta-Green > Foxtrot-Orange name. But perhaps a better name might be Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Error 404 posted:

I see what you're doing with the Delta-Green > Foxtrot-Orange name. But perhaps a better name might be Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I thought about that, but I only think of the Tina Fey movie. I was considering calling Echo Black when I fine tuned it into something more playable.

I feel like I have the gist of the theme and mechanics captured, but looking for some opinions on it.

I wanted an action horror like monster of the week but with a more investigative/mystery/alphabet soup edge you get with delta green.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wasn't someone in here working on something PbtA and based on Star Trek ? I skimmed back a few months in the thread and didn't see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

mllaneza posted:

Wasn't someone in here working on something PbtA and based on Star Trek ? I skimmed back a few months in the thread and didn't see anything.

If its the one I'm thinking of it was back in the original aw thread, and it was a few pages of moves but nothing since then.

Or maybe you're thinking of Madadric's Impulse Drive? Which draws from a bunch of sci fi instead of star trek specifically.