Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

In Morrison's run his girlfriend broke up with him because she was getting harassed for dating a mutant "The word bestiality was used." Beast tries to play it off like it didn't wreck him, and muses "Who knows? Maybe I'm gay."

I think it gets clarified later that he was only presenting the possibility after the internet went nuts over it. This was like early 2002, so it was a lot bigger deal then.

EDIT: Haha. The word filter is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Jesus Christ Hank.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

We're gayer than we think we are: Touching and inspiring beast thread

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Ah, it was during that period where he was slowly mutating into a cat. Got it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Infinitum posted:

We're gayer than we think we are: Touching and inspiring beast thread

Remove 'and inspiring' and we're set.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
This was also after he'd been bludgeoned into coma by a bird boy with a baseball bat, so I supposed he could use brain damage as an excuse.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Beast implying he might be homosexual was a huge deal. This was three years before Young Avengers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Going through New X-Men for the first time in the omnibus a couple years ago, I got bummed with the comic not just letting him be gay.

Incidentally, if you go looking up "Beast gay" you'll find an interview where GMo says the only thing Marvel made him do against his will were recap pages.

e: or just go here for the whole deal http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/08/14/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-168/3/

ee: Looking back at that page, I don't remember him telling his ex that he wasn't interested in sleeping with human beings, and then saying he might be gay.
I might've gotten too excited by the coming out to catch the irony.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 24, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Never been a big fan of Morrison's X-Men run, always felt too bleak and dark, not to mention it just feels like he doesn't have a good grasp on Marvel characters at all(which is a shame considering how good most of his DC stuff is in comparison)

Also I feel it opened the floodgates for a lot of the really bad and edgy writing that's made it really drat hard for me to enjoy anything in the Earth 616/Universe 8 continuity that's been published in the last 16 to 20 years

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Ah, it was during that period where he was slowly mutating into a cat. Got it.

No, he had already mutated into a cat by this point.

I don't think "slow" was ever a part of it, actually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Morrison is definitely the person who ruined Beast.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Morrison ruined a lot of X-men really.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I used to get a lot of "What??" responses when I said I didn't like Morrison's X-Men, are people starting to think differently about it now?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I don't know, but I've never been surprised by people not liking it. It takes the X-Men, and their readers, outside their comfort zone. It was my first encounter with Morrison's work as an impressionable sixteen year old, and it really changed how I looked at my childhood favorites, and comics in general.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I like a lot of things from Morrison's run, like Emma Frost joining the team, the mutant ghettoes and useless or horrific mutations, the continuing development of a person's mutations throughout their life. I actually really liked the character of Xorn up until the big reveal.

I have trouble forgiving him for taking the Jewish holocaust survivor (is Magneto maybe even the only cape who is tied to the holocaust so intimately?), who had been up to that point one of the best drawn and most sympathetic villains in any comic, and having him start marching humans into loving concentration camps and crematoriums as his big villainous plan.

But no, to Morrison he's "a bloody terrorist" and that means he can only be the worst of humanity, not only opposed to the heroes but contemptible and one dimensional.

I hope that didn't feel too rant-ish, I do think the run is worth reading.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:( No, I understand that. Magento was always one of my favorite X-Men villains because he was actually somewhat relatable, like Mr. Freeze in DC stuff. Turning him into a cackling terrorist is like turning Freeze into a villain just doing it for shits and giggles instead of trying to fund his research to save his wife.

Oh wait, that's exactly what New 52 did! :suicide:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I used to get a lot of "What??" responses when I said I didn't like Morrison's X-Men, are people starting to think differently about it now?

Hey, you should know by now that my view on Morrison's work isn't exactly the norm around here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

I don't know, but I've never been surprised by people not liking it. It takes the X-Men, and their readers, outside their comfort zone. It was my first encounter with Morrison's work as an impressionable sixteen year old, and it really changed how I looked at my childhood favorites, and comics in general.

My comfort zone is good comics and consistent characterization so that is true in a sense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yeah, and for the record, Che Guevara, Pancho Villa, everyone in the American revolution, and Chevalier de Lorimier all fit the definition of "bloody terrorist".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Contrary to mythologizing, most of the participants in the American revolution were regular soldiers, not guerrillas.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The weird thing is that Morrison has done plenty of sympathetic villains in the past(see his Doom Patrol run as well as Flex Mentallo) as well as after his X-Men run(several of the villains in All-Star Superman), yet for some reason he couldn't apply that to Magneto, which is bewildering

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

The weird thing is that Morrison has done plenty of sympathetic villains in the past(see his Doom Patrol run as well as Flex Mentallo) as well as after his X-Men run(several of the villains in All-Star Superman), yet for some reason he couldn't apply that to Magneto, which is bewildering

Yeah, there was that one issue of The Invisibles that was this long, abstract and scattered but beautiful story of a stranger's life who was slowly revealed to be this random mook, working for the bad guys, who was killed off by King Mob back at the beginning of the series while he spouted off a badass one-liner. It's super effective in the context of a work that Morrison has creative control over, but with Big Two work he tends to latch onto certain parts of continuity, be they time periods or obscure characters and stories, and use that that to the exclusion of the book's history. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Because Magneto and Doctor Doom aren't as sympathetic as people like to pretend they are. At the end of the day Magneto wants to either enslave or kill every human being. He's hijacked nuclear missiles, started more than one antagonistic nation, and hit the Earth with an electromagnetic pulse, killing thousands. Being a holocaust survivor doesn't give him a free pass to be a monster.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Die Laughing posted:

Because Magneto and Doctor Doom aren't as sympathetic as people like to pretend they are. At the end of the day Magneto wants to either enslave or kill every human being. He's hijacked nuclear missiles, started more than one antagonistic nation, and hit the Earth with an electromagnetic pulse, killing thousands. Being a holocaust survivor doesn't give him a free pass to be a monster.

Doom is good and right most of the time, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Magenta is a man trying to protect his people through any means necessary, that is hugely sympathetic.

Doom is just a dick.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CharlestheHammer posted:

Magenta is a man trying to protect his people through any means necessary, that is hugely sympathetic.

Doom is just a dick.

Magenta is alien who was loving her brother then betrayed a sexy crossdressing biologist

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Autocorrect has owned me

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Doom is good and right most of the time, though.

All I hope lies in Doom.

I love a good story where Magneto teams with the X-Men, but if he lingers around long enough, I remember that Magneto is not a nice dude.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Die Laughing posted:

I remember that Magneto is not a nice dude.

:black101:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sorry if it'll inspire massive derailments every time, but if the new Superman is anything like the team's last comic*, a touching and or poignant scene of Superman and or Son WILL be posted roughly every two weeks.

I'm not sorry :devil:

A few pages back but this isn't inspiring. This is me remembering everything my parents told me when I discovered batman and then I went to greet my sister at the hospital when she was born almost exactly dressed as this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mover posted:

I like a lot of things from Morrison's run, like Emma Frost joining the team, the mutant ghettoes and useless or horrific mutations, the continuing development of a person's mutations throughout their life. I actually really liked the character of Xorn up until the big reveal.

I have trouble forgiving him for taking the Jewish holocaust survivor (is Magneto maybe even the only cape who is tied to the holocaust so intimately?), who had been up to that point one of the best drawn and most sympathetic villains in any comic, and having him start marching humans into loving concentration camps and crematoriums as his big villainous plan.

But no, to Morrison he's "a bloody terrorist" and that means he can only be the worst of humanity, not only opposed to the heroes but contemptible and one dimensional.

To be fair, Magneto was under Sublime's influence.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Alhazred posted:

To be fair, Magneto was under Sublime's influence.

Did he have a Dalmatian?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
More Than Meets The Eye 54, and Megatron gets told the truth

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mover posted:

While I don't have much in the way of proof, Morrison's run and story with Mags happened post 9/11. And back then Terrorism was something that was big and raw and horrific.
Like I remember how people were calling for Afghanistan or anywhere that terrorists were from to be glassed.

And I think that translated to any depictions of terrorists in fiction being utterly unrepentant, because they were the enemy of the time.

The fact even that he uses the word "bloody" is a very British thing. As a young man growing up in Scotland, terrorism was something that Great Britain was very familiar with.
Only it was the Irish who were profiled and generally mistrusted. I guess 9/11 just drew out a lot of those ideas and thoughts from some people.

(Again, this is just my opinion and not some proof of anything. )

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Question IRL posted:

While I don't have much in the way of proof, Morrison's run and story with Mags happened post 9/11. And back then Terrorism was something that was big and raw and horrific.
Like I remember how people were calling for Afghanistan or anywhere that terrorists were from to be glassed.

A not-insignificant portion of Americans still behave this way.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Yeah, that's part of it for sure. The relevant quote:

“Magneto’s an old terrorist bastard. I got into trouble—the X-Men fans hated me because I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. He had started out as this sneering, grim terrorist character, so I thought, Well, that’s who he really is. Chris Claremont had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character: He made him a survivor of the death camps and this noble antihero. And I went in and shat on all of it. It was right after 9/11, and I said there’s nothing loving noble about this at all.”

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
IRA are shitheads.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

IRA are shitheads.

They are. But at the same time that doesn't justify going "all Irish people are bloody terrorists/ sympathisers. In fact they are incapable of managing themselves and they'd be better off with us back in charge."

And as the Peace Process has shown, there were a lot of people who were in the IRA who regret what they've done and turned their backs upon it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

More Than Meets The Eye 54, and Megatron gets told the truth

:unsmith:

What was Ratchet about to ask him there at the end?