Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Tevery Best posted:

Those banknotes are super ugly and boring.

:agreed:
If only one of them shown Białystok, and another Vilnius. Also well known Belarussian poet Mickiewicz.

alex314 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Belarus missed out on the chance to one-up Transnistria's poker chip economy.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Will they still have tiny bills?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So UK is leaving EU, does this mean hundreds of thousands jobless Poles coming back to Poland? I imagine this would have some serious consequences for the country but I don't know yet if this will cause trouble for PiS when people become even more frustrated with the state of Poland's economy or maybe it will give PiS even more support with people getting more nationalistic.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No oval office in the Leave campaign bothered to give a plan for what happens to the Poles etc. who are already here. We've just jumped off a cliff because hateful morons told us that we could fly, and other hateful morons believed them.

If I could I would squat my way into Poland and try to hide among the returnees.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

No oval office in the Leave campaign bothered to give a plan for what happens to the Poles etc. who are already here. We've just jumped off a cliff because hateful morons told us that we could fly, and other hateful morons believed them.

If I could I would squat my way into Poland and try to hide among the returnees.

pretty sure Poles are non-squatting Slavs :v:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Palpek posted:

So UK is leaving EU, does this mean hundreds of thousands jobless Poles coming back to Poland? I imagine this would have some serious consequences for the country but I don't know yet if this will cause trouble for PiS when people become even more frustrated with the state of Poland's economy or maybe it will give PiS even more support with people getting more nationalistic.

It could potentially mean up to 800,000 Poles forced to repatriate, but I'm going to assume at least 1/3-1/2 will figure out some way to stay so that's still 400,000 at least coming home. Its not going to do great for our economy that's for sure. Even more significantly this is likely the beginning of the end for the EU as a whole. Right wingers in France and Netherlands are already calling for their own in/out referendums and I'm sure more will follow. This in addition to the likely financial crisis resulting form Brexit which we can already see developing in stock market downturns across the continent and indeed the world makes me think of that old Jewish curse "May you live in interesting times". It's interesting times folks. Also if you're planning on leaving Poland I would hasten your plans if at all possible, in 5 years there may be no where to escape to.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pellisworth posted:

pretty sure Poles are non-squatting Slavs :v:

My ignorance on squat-status is just one of many reasons I can't.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The way things are going, in five years there might be british plumbers coming to poland for work.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

old Jewish curse "May you live in interesting times".

Chinese. Allegedly.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A Pale Horse posted:

It could potentially mean up to 800,000 Poles forced to repatriate, but I'm going to assume at least 1/3-1/2 will figure out some way to stay so that's still 400,000 at least coming home. Its not going to do great for our economy that's for sure. Even more significantly this is likely the beginning of the end for the EU as a whole. Right wingers in France and Netherlands are already calling for their own in/out referendums and I'm sure more will follow. This in addition to the likely financial crisis resulting form Brexit which we can already see developing in stock market downturns across the continent and indeed the world makes me think of that old Jewish curse "May you live in interesting times". It's interesting times folks. Also if you're planning on leaving Poland I would hasten your plans if at all possible, in 5 years there may be no where to escape to.
I don't see this as the end of EU yet as the nationalists while getting more support than in the past are still not the majority and EU sentiments are much stronger in France and The Neatherlands than in the UK.

It will get interesting when Scotland decides to leave the UK as one of the major arguments for them to stay during their vote was that Scotland would have to leave the EU if it left the UK. Additionally the EU will probably come hard on the UK now to make an example on what happens if a country leaves the union to deter the others and I would imagine they would approve Scotland's membership with a record-breaking speed.

As for Polish people in the UK I don't see it going well for them. The current Polish government has already shown that it's willing to throw them under the bus when it exchanged their rights for things it cared about in other areas. They will be abandoned by both Poland and the UK and the Polish economy isn't ready for hundreds of thousands of new unemployed. Knowing the Polish hosed up mentality there will also be a stigma associated with being an ex-emmigrant which will become more extreme when those people start competing for jobs with people already living in Poland. Overall this will be quite a job crisis for the country and in the current atmosphere it may lead to some extreme directions, not sure which ones yet.

I can imagine a part of Polish immigration moving to Ireland which would have been a viable idea before the financial crisis but not anymore. This will mean a lot of Polish people coming back to Poland.

We'll see about all of this but we definitely live in 'interesting times' and it's a turn in history.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 24, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think the real problem is defense. Shattered EU means more room for Russia to play Hitler in.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly think the real problem is defense. Shattered EU means more room for Russia to play Hitler in.

If only Obama had sent John Kerry to Europe a few years back to tell them to increase their defense spending because something exactly like this might happen!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

anilEhilated posted:

Now imagine the very likely scenario where Trump becomes president. We had a good run :getin:.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Polish stock market down over 7% already today. Major banks down 13% some of them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Palpek posted:

I don't see this as the end of EU yet as the nationalists while getting more support than in the past are still not the majority and EU sentiments are much stronger in France and The Neatherlands than in the UK.

It will get interesting when Scotland decides to leave the UK as one of the major arguments for them to stay during their vote was that Scotland would have to leave the EU if it left the UK. Additionally the EU will probably come hard on the UK now to make an example on what happens if a country leaves the union to deter the others and I would imagine they would approve Scotland's membership with a record-breaking speed.

As for Polish people in the UK I don't see it going well for them. The current Polish government has already shown that it's willing to throw them under the bus when it exchanged their rights for things it cared about in other areas. They will be abandoned by both Poland and the UK and the Polish economy isn't ready for hundreds of thousands of new unemployed. Knowing the Polish hosed up mentality there will also be a stigma associated with being an ex-emmigrant which will become more extreme when those people start competing for jobs with people already living in Poland. Overall this will be quite a job crisis for the country and in the current atmosphere it may lead to some extreme directions, not sure which ones yet.

I can imagine a part of Polish immigration moving to Ireland which would have been a viable idea before the financial crisis but not anymore. This will mean a lot of Polish people coming back to Poland.

We'll see about all of this but we definitely live in 'interesting times' and it's a turn in history.

Don't leave, take over. Those island fuckwits have shown they can't be trusted with anything.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

Germany has plenty of "minijobs" for workers who enjoy being exploited, so they can go there to get the same lovely jobs as they had in the UK.

Palpek posted:

Now imagine the very likely scenario where Trump becomes president. We had a good run :getin:.

European countries will have to flock to France for getting some nuclear deterrence against Russia, finally realizing Napoleon's dream of a united continent ruled from Paris. :france: :getin:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Brexit is not a result a bunch of fuckwits acting over the past few years, it comes from a long, long tradition of Britain being uniquely attached to its independence in all meanings of the term. This was visible in many ways over the decades and has just boiled over. I don't see a domino effect happening anywhere any time soon, especially in France, which has a political class that is far more detached from most of society and simply won't hesitate to tell the pov'cons to shut it and stop bothering them.

It doesn't change the fact that this is also a uniquely stupid idea. It reduces Britain's pull in international relations and forces them to be more dependent on the US. It hurts the British economy short-term and means nothing for it in the long term, since if they want to trade with the EU, they have to live with all those horrible, free-market killing, vile EU regulations. They don't get to vote on them anymore, though!

Literally the only thing I can think of that really matters is that they can now finally be rid of all the Pollacks, Romanians, Bulgarians and whoever else The Sun tells them is taking away their hard-earned jobs. Is there anything else?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cat Mattress posted:

Germany has plenty of "minijobs" for workers who enjoy being exploited, so they can go there to get the same lovely jobs as they had in the UK.
With the given numbers it won't work, Germany doesn't have the capacity for such an immigration and specifically they're not looking for people in the low-end jobs - they have the Turks for that. Also Eastern Germany is suffering from high unemployment rates. Sure that people will try but after failing they will bounce off and come back to Poland. The proposed pay will be way lower than in the UK as well which makes this idea not attractive enough for people doing that en masse.

Germany is actually looking for workers with higher education (which was their huge surprise moment when the work border opened and almost nobody from Poland came) but that requires knowing the language. The language barrier is going to be a factor here as everybody learns English in school but German not so much.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
We aren't loved in the UK, but in the six or seven times I traveled to or through Germany I always felt less welcome. I don't speak German, however.

In my experience, the British are more tolerant than the Dutch as well, wrt Poles anyway. (Worth noting I lived much longer in the Netherlands than UK, however.)

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

Brexit is not a result a bunch of fuckwits acting over the past few years, it comes from a long, long tradition of Britain being uniquely attached to its independence in all meanings of the term. This was visible in many ways over the decades and has just boiled over. I don't see a domino effect happening anywhere any time soon, especially in France, which has a political class that is far more detached from most of society and simply won't hesitate to tell the pov'cons to shut it and stop bothering them.

It doesn't change the fact that this is also a uniquely stupid idea. It reduces Britain's pull in international relations and forces them to be more dependent on the US. It hurts the British economy short-term and means nothing for it in the long term, since if they want to trade with the EU, they have to live with all those horrible, free-market killing, vile EU regulations. They don't get to vote on them anymore, though!

Literally the only thing I can think of that really matters is that they can now finally be rid of all the Pollacks, Romanians, Bulgarians and whoever else The Sun tells them is taking away their hard-earned jobs. Is there anything else?

Look at Norway. We are not members but pretty much everytging that goes for the EU goes for us, trade deals, free movement of labor, etc. (still cant bring a lot of tobacco or alcohol across the border though). There's also a bunch of foreign workers from the EU, poles, romanians, lithuanians, all that stuff.

Britain with its larger economy might be able to maybe stay out of more agreements or something, but I don't know.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Randarkman posted:

Look at Norway. We are not members but pretty much everytging that goes for the EU goes for us, trade deals, free movement of labor, etc. (still cant bring a lot of tobacco or alcohol across the border though). There's also a bunch of foreign workers from the EU, poles, romanians, lithuanians, all that stuff.

Britain with its larger economy might be able to maybe stay out of more agreements or something, but I don't know.

Yeah, but you don't really get to vote on that stuff, do you? This is the position that Britain would find itself in: all the decisions made in Brussels apply to it as long as it wants to stay in the EEA, but they have no say. BBC says that Norway-like status (cited directly) is unacceptable for many Brexit proponents.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

Yeah, but you don't really get to vote on that stuff, do you? This is the position that Britain would find itself in: all the decisions made in Brussels apply to it as long as it wants to stay in the EEA, but they have no say. BBC says that Norway-like status (cited directly) is unacceptable for many Brexit proponents.

Well, that's probably what they're gonna have to get if they want to trade with the EU.

Sucks for them I guess..

e: Norway has pretty much no say over EU policy and we are usually super duper quick to ratify and implement new EU directives and agreements and stuff. It's all rather weird.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 24, 2016

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Well, that's probably what they're gonna have to get if they want to trade with the EU.

Sucks for them I guess..

e: Norway has pretty much no say over EU policy and we are usually super duper quick to ratify and implement new EU directives and agreements and stuff. It's all rather weird.

Or like Ukraine's association agreement. Want visa free travel? Sure, pass all those bills. What you passed them? Well, maybe we'll get back to you on this at some point.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
So who is going to do the poo poo jobs at british factories/warehouses/farms if they send us back our lumpenproles

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Tevery Best posted:

Also there's a reason why Norway gets special treatment from the EU - it's a combination of having oil and at the same time not being a large enough economy to throw their weight around. UK's position is different.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Somaen posted:

So who is going to do the poo poo jobs at british factories/warehouses/farms if they send us back our lumpenproles

The exact same dudes, just illegally.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Somaen posted:

They're just gonna close the factories/warehouses/farms. The lumpenproles' last job will be to carry out all the relevant stuff to Ireland, France, Germany, Poland, or wherever else it is that they'll be setting up shop next.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

The exact same dudes, legally

Fixed

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Just outsource your operations to Eastern Europe - cheap labour, low taxes (relatively speaking), every local government offering you more and more incentives so you don't set up your call centre or car assembly plant in the neighbouring country/province. You can offer a pittance for a wage and enforce draconian working regulations and nobody will bat an eyelid, because (in Poland at least) the popular opinion has shifted so heavily towards the liberal economy that employees asking for the most basic labour rights are decried as freeloaders and parasites on the healthy bodies of job creators, who cry incessantly about high labour costs, even though in Poland they are some of the lowest in Europe.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Pale Horse posted:

It could potentially mean up to 800,000 Poles forced to repatriate, but I'm going to assume at least 1/3-1/2 will figure out some way to stay so that's still 400,000 at least coming home.

This one aspect should be fine as any current immigrants to the UK should be grandfathered under common law. (IANAUKL)

Of course all bets are off if the UK swings hard right as a result of this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Palpek posted:

Also there's a reason why Norway gets special treatment from the EU - it's a combination of having oil and at the same time not being a large enough economy to throw their weight around. UK's position is different.

If Scotland gets it way, UK won't even have the oil to throw around. Pretty much most of the North Sea reserve is inside Scotland's exclusive economic zone. BP will probably have to renegotiate with the Scots for access and I'm guessing British fishing industry will tank as well.

Somaen posted:

I'm guessing when Tories cut the dole and the NHS to ribbons, former pensioners who voted for this poo poo.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 24, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-baltics-troops-russia-1.3635139

well this isnt a good sign if true.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
The Liberals are in the middle of a defense policy review so every hack, think tank and ex-politician/lobbyist is going to be screaming about anything that would lead to a bump in procurement. If we don't double the F35 order we'll wake up with Putin eating our cornflakes blah blah.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Even robots can't stand to be in Russia :haw:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/artificially-intelligent-russian-robot-makes-run-again-135153288.html

quote:

A robot in Russia caused an unusual traffic jam last week after it "escaped" from a research lab, and now, the artificially intelligent bot is making headlines again after it reportedly tried to flee a second time, according to news reports.

Engineers at the Russian lab reprogrammed the intelligent machine, dubbed Promobot IR77, after last week's incident, but the robot recently made a second escape attempt, The Mirror reported.

Last week, the robot made it approximately 160 feet (50 meters) to the street, before it lost power and "partially paralyzed" traffic. [The 6 Strangest Robots Ever Created]

Promobot, the company that designed the robot, announced the escapade in a blog post the next day.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Russia manufactures the most intelligent computer in the world. Last seen heading for the border."

It's somewhat tragic when jokes from the eighties suddenly become true.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Uh huh...

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

perhaps it's a real "promo"-bot ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Lukashenko spawned some fun in Belarus. At the All People's Congress he made a speech stating people should 'Develop and Work.' Most people didn't hear it that way, they thought he said 'Undress and Work.' It's sparked a flurry of activity where people now are posting pictures and videos of working while partially or completely undressed. Twitter has the hashtag #раздеватьсяиработать

:nws: http://42.tut.by/501844 :nws: for naked people nekked while working.