Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

ugh, whats the url to that fake/funny devops cert?

got it http://devopsleague.com

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

CloFan posted:

I'm single-handedly migrating ~750 Exchange 2010 users (and their god drat PSTs) to Google Apps for Education. Stumbling through it.. feeling a bit out of my depth, here. So far so good? Got some test users on G.Apps and the Outlook Migration tool pushed out via SCCM. It'll be a couple/few weeks till cutover, you guys got any advice?

God Speed.
  • Make sure you have a handle on how DNS works and what you need to change, and when. Don't get surprised with a 3 day TTL on cutover day.
  • Make sure you know the final sync will work and how long it will take.
  • Will Exchange forward to Google if it is a staged migration?
  • Find out what applications/services are using Exchange to send email and how. I thought I handle on this and an app that no one knew about ended up creating a mail loop and generated hundreds of thousands of error emails to a customer service account and killed other services because the queue was full

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

ugh, whats the url to that fake/funny devops cert?

got it http://devopsleague.com

I want shirts and stickers. I'll totally put one on my work laptop.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I want shirts and stickers. I'll totally put one on my work laptop.

Well, you could be a Sparkly DevOps Princess.

Or maybe you're a British Gearpunk DevOps?

Are you ready for a Civil Scrum? Be a DevOps Avenger!

A elegant process for a more civilized workplace? A New DevOps.

The choices are potentially endless!*

*choices not actually endless. void where prohibited.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 22, 2016

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

goobernoodles posted:

Anyone know of a service that would transcribe voicemail into text, then email that to a per-determined email address or distribution list? In the event of an emergency, we're looking to have a phone number the person at the site could call for a quick, verbal run-down of the situation, and have that transcribed and texted to a certain group of people. We have verizon, so sending SMS by email works fine. Our phone system is an ancient piece of poo poo, not sure if newer systems do voicemail transcribing or not. This could be nice for a ticketing system as well.

Cisco UC does this but it's an add-on license with a yearly subscription.

Phone Tag does it for any phone that can forward voicemail (may be best for you). Works great for cellphones as well.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dark Helmut posted:

Probably :yotj: 'ing this week - sadly probably to another recruiting firm. Need a change of scenery and there is a smaller agency that's making a lucrative offer.

Ideally I wanted to get back closer to technology - either in a product manager-type role or in a technical support manager position - but 5 years out of hands-on is cramping my marketability. I interviewed for a support lead/account manager with a healthcare startup, but I don't have a ton of industry knowledge that would really help there nor am I strong in database support so I may not get an offer there. Will probably still look passively even with the new gig.

How do recruiters recruit recruiters? Is it just a "let's get down to brass tacks" conversation since you all know the deal?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

adorai posted:

He wants to know if you are looking for a single network that exists at two sites but shares a single broadcast domain, or if you simply have two seperate subnets that have the same IP scheme that need to talk. If you own both of these subnets, you want to just change your range at one site. I promise it will be less painful.

How does a typical DR Scenario looks for a company that can't re-IP certain machines?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

How does a typical DR Scenario looks for a company that can't re-IP certain machines?
1:1 NAT

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
I have a bit of budget to spend on self education materials. I am not really sure what to spend it on though. I picked up a couple books already but figured I'd solicit ideas here too.

Doesn't need to be strictly tech, pretty much anything I could spin as professional development. Any resources you all like and recommend?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

waloo posted:

I have a bit of budget to spend on self education materials. I am not really sure what to spend it on though. I picked up a couple books already but figured I'd solicit ideas here too.

Doesn't need to be strictly tech, pretty much anything I could spin as professional development. Any resources you all like and recommend?

Personally, I like CBT Nuggets. Always something interesting there, even short courses.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

waloo posted:

Not requiring any money but toastmasters clubs could be useful

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
I'm working on replacing some old network hardware at one of the locations where I work.

Right now in our racks we've got a stacked pair of Dell N20480P that just replaced some 10 year old Cisco switches. Those handle all the user's connections, POE to phones and cameras and stuff, as well as fiber connections to the two other buildings at that location and our incoming internet connection and a metro-e connection to our other external sites.

In the other rack are the VM servers, application servers and backup servers, all hooked up to a stacked pair of Dell 6248s, which are then hooked to the N2048Ps on the 10gig ports.

I'm trying to figure out if I should replace the 6248s with something new, if I can get the money to do so. They still work, they're as fast as everything else around them, and they're still covered by Dell's lifetime next business day warranty.

If I do replace them I need redundancy, gigabit speed at least with 10gb uplinks, and enough ports to support at least 20 links per switch.

Alternately I could just move the building to building fiber links, internet, and metro-e connections to the 6248s, make them the MST master switches and roll with them until they die or until I need IPV6 routing capability...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it possible to send files from a Synology Nas to someone's computer without accessing their computer? If so, how? It would be even cooler if I could do it to multiple computers at once, but that sounds like more of a GPO thing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it possible to send files from a Synology Nas to someone's computer without accessing their computer? If so, how? It would be even cooler if I could do it to multiple computers at once, but that sounds like more of a GPO thing.
What are you actually trying to do

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I mean, by definition moving files to someone's PC is accessing it. That said, there's no easy mechanism I'm aware of to push files from a Synology to a/multiple PCs built into the Synology itself. It's just a highly-customized Linux under the hood, so you could use console access to copy files from the device itself. You can also push files from one network share to another (including the hidden \\computername\c$\ administrative share) with GPOs or PowerShell. A GPO would have the individual PC pull directly from the NAS. I'm not 100% sure if a PS command would route the file THROUGH your computer/network connection. If you had remote sessions open to the PCs, then it should definitely pull directly.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm trying to get installation files onto users' computers without having to remote in, because they get pissy about getting interrupted and I don't want to deal with that multiple times. I tried LogMeIn's file transfer, but that was going about 200KB/s, so that's not a practical solution.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you just want to dump files onto a PC, or do you actually want to install the applications? Because PDQ Deploy exists.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

robocopy \\nas\folder\installerfolder \\computername\c$\users\USERNAME\desktop

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll remote in to actually install them, I just want to get them on there first, since it can take as much as an hour depending on speed between sites.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Methanar posted:

Geez, I was way too close to it, because I was sitting here thinking "huh, how is he going to push from a NAS without being on the client computer" - no one ever said he needed to be on either device. This is the way.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'll remote in to actually install them, I just want to get them on there first, since it can take as much as an hour depending on speed between sites.

Consider using PDQDeploy or something else to save you the manual installation time.

But yeah, robocopy to the admin share (\\targetmachine\c$) is the (windows) tool for the job if you really just want to copy stuff to a computer reliably.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
There should be a visio certification. It's downright embarrassing some of the visio gore I'm encountering going over past engineer documentation for this VAR I'm working for. Nevermind some of the networks they have designed. Jesus Christ.

One client has 4 single points of failure and they only have 6 switches. How?!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is one of those points of failure their network engineer?

Also, Visio certification exists, it's called PMP, boom.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have any idea if the Comcast business gateway IP address is the IP address of their terrible modem/gateway thing?

We've got a customer who has a remote branch offices in another state using Comcast Business internet service and the office loses internet connectivity for 3-5 minutes randomly during the day every couple weeks and Comcast just gives us the ol' shrug.

I've got an external monitoring service checking the static IP from Comcast and the gateway IP they gave us (which is one number higher than the static) and when one drops the other drops as well.

The gateway is this thing, in bridge mode:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/helpandsupport/businessclass/help_articles/CB_BWG_QuickStartGuide_Rev%20%203%2014.pdf

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Methanar posted:

That did it. I'm going to make a batch or powershell script to start the transfer on multiple computers. Ideally I'll be able to write up a powershell script for installation of at least most of the programs before I have to do this on ~20 PCs. Powershell has exception handling that would let me skip past failed installations and spit out an error log, right?

I'm the low man on the totem pole, so I can't install PQDeploy.

E: and then the robocopied files disappeared. I'm on their computers now, I'll mess with it more when I have time.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 23, 2016

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone have any idea if the Comcast business gateway IP address is the IP address of their terrible modem/gateway thing?

We've got a customer who has a remote branch offices in another state using Comcast Business internet service and the office loses internet connectivity for 3-5 minutes randomly during the day every couple weeks and Comcast just gives us the ol' shrug.

I've got an external monitoring service checking the static IP from Comcast and the gateway IP they gave us (which is one number higher than the static) and when one drops the other drops as well.

The gateway is this thing, in bridge mode:

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/helpandsupport/businessclass/help_articles/CB_BWG_QuickStartGuide_Rev%20%203%2014.pdf

Yes, the gateway IP is generally just above or below your static block.

Also, trash that Cisco into a dumpster fire. It will turn on public wifi automatically after every reboot, even if you have Comcast shut it off. No, you can't control that function yourself, only via a CSR. It drops sync constantly and Comcast will always just offer to have T2 "monitor" your connection for a bit. They may even send a tech out to fiddle with signal levels.

Ask for the Netgear business gateway. No public wifi, as rock solid a connection as coax can be, and no god awful non-standard webGUI. We have them at 2 sites with 150/20 service and 99.99% of our disconnect issues have stopped since having the Cisco's hauled away.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That did it. I'm going to make a batch or powershell script to start the transfer on multiple computers. Ideally I'll be able to write up a powershell script for installation of at least most of the programs before I have to do this on ~20 PCs. Powershell has exception handling that would let me skip past failed installations and spit out an error log, right?

E: and then the robocopied files disappeared. I'm on their computers now, I'll mess with it more when I have time.
C'mon dude don't push it straight to their desktop, put it in like \\workstation\c$\programdata\companyname\

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Copy the data to the machines, then setup a powershell script to execute the install via a login or startup script in Group Policy, if you have access to that.

If you don't have access to GP you can create a script block in Powershell encapsulating the installation arguments and Invoke-Command to execute it against each machine remotely.

And if you can't eventually get someone to invest in PDQDeploy or SCCM (I'm a diehard for the latter), I'd look into this:

http://psappdeploytoolkit.com/

Just make sure you remember that PSExec is the Devil's tool and you shouldn't use it. There are much better ways now.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If the installation files are properly packaged, you can remotely run msiexec /i /qn and you never have to remote in at all.

Don't forget to add an /s to the robocopy. You might have just copied the directory.

Of course, avoiding all this nonsense is what SCCM or something like that is for.

e: Well beaten, that's what I get for leaving a reply window open.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Nah, that's good stuff too assuming he's working with MSIs. Sometimes I take for granted how much I've worked with this crap.

By the by, definitely put some time and effort into App-V. It's pretty incredible, especially if you're looking at non-persistent VDI scenarios.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
poop

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 23, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I had to set it to /s, and I was sending it to their C:\ drive. Thanks for letting me know about robocopy, that's really useful.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I never knew how shiny hard drive platters were until today. It was so perfectly reflective the world looked clearer in it's reflection than actually looking directly.

I got some cool magnets to play with too.

Hard drives own.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Chickenwalker posted:

Anybody here have the misfortune of having to support Avid's shared storage?

I did for a while a couple of years ago. The config and AD integration sucked but worked for me.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

One client has 4 single points of failure and they only have 6 switches. How?!
What's the scope here? Every one of my branches has two single points of failure and they only have a single switch and a single router. Without some context we can't just jump on the hate train.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Two 4500s in the core, only one connects to the firewall even though though they have a switch dedicated to firewall inside outside van, the other 4500 just connects to the other one. Then their voice gateways attach to another switch which has one single link to one 4500

mewse
May 2, 2006

Methanar posted:

I never knew how shiny hard drive platters were until today. It was so perfectly reflective the world looked clearer in it's reflection than actually looking directly.

I got some cool magnets to play with too.

Hard drives own.

I've been destroying hard drives by bending the platters with a pair of pliers. I tried that on a laptop drive recently and the platter basically exploded into a million shards

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
We used to have Hammer Day once a month for the 2.5" drives we marked for disposal. One of my guys had too much fun and smelled so bad afterwards he had to be sent out

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Why is it that when I ignore emails, they just reply to their own email asking me for a status, over and over? Why can't I ignore you in peace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I can't get no... status-faction.