Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

EVGA Longoria posted:

after expenses probably means "after we take our cut, get hosed"

https://www.buzzfeed.com/carolineodonovan/internal-uber-driver-pay-numbers?utm_term=.otZX7X3ZX#.khwOJOkpO

assumptions were

$1.75/gal for gas and a 25mpg car
$3000/yr in insurance/maintenance/random expenses
$16000 car with a expected lifetime of 250,000 miles (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

there's probably a really good engineering answer to this, but couldn't we just bury flywheels all over the place?

here, donate to this home flywheel energy storage kickstarter!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1340066560/velkess-energy-storage

they already did the "thanks for the money, suckers" move a year ago.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

rjmccall posted:

marin is an endless sequence of small low-density developments on steep hillsides set way back from a road running along the bay. it's just not a good place for regularly scheduled last-mile public transit, and having an on-call shuttle / taxi service makes a lot of sense
sorry but i'd rather they don't spend tax dollars to pay Travis Kalanicks third mansion for exploiting poor workers "contractors"

there are a lot better ways to do that. like we manage to get school buses routinely through some pretty sparse areas no problem, why not just the same thing?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 24, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

the talent deficit posted:

there's probably a really good engineering answer to this, but couldn't we just bury flywheels all over the place?
the literal rotation of the planet causes them to precess, losing like 5% an hour. when you install them you have an angle setting to minimize depending on latitude but they're still only good for short term stuff or load leveling, they have amazing energy storage density so they're still used in DCs that are space restrictive

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 24, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

I would think pumping water up into a reservoir would work better than a bunch of trains.

you should know better by now

the answer always involves trains

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Xaris posted:

there are a lot better ways to do that. like we manage to get school buses routinely through some pretty sparse areas no problem, why not just the same thing?

have you seen how suburbanites have pretty much abandoned school busses and there's now a line of SUVs every day to drop off and pick up the precious kids?

it's not because they have before- or after-school activities that aren't in line with the bus schedule

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

sorry but i'd rather they don't spend tax dollars to pay Travis Kalanicks third mansion for exploiting poor workers "contractors"

i'm not saying use uber, i'm saying buses are a bad solution

school buses run twice a day and in remote districts know exactly where to go and who they're picking up there

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Jonny 290 posted:

flywheels do have some potential (:haw:) but the problem is that to store any appreciable energy they need to be spinning really fast and the materials dont hold together. this is why the F1 kers flywheels are carbon fiber and poo poo, the thing's on the verge of centrifugally transforming into a metallic mist when its fully spun up

Bearings are a bitch too but we're getting past that with magnetic and foil bearings (again, neither of which work[well] at low speed)

we have flywheels as part of our DRUPS at the DC its pretty cool that you can pull more than a megawatt of power out of a 5 ton bit of concrete spinning in helium. there is another flywheel to start the generator with a giant clutch.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Shaggar posted:

I would think pumping water up into a reservoir would work better than a bunch of trains.

theres just not enough sites to make this feasible for storage at any reasonable capacity. like, not enough by a couple orders of magnitude.

theres an interesting solution where you dig a big, deep hole, put a giant rock plug in it and pump water underneath and use the potential energy from that but i dont know how proven it is.

i think someone did the math and weirdly enough giant loving lead acid batteries were still the #1 bet for massive load balancing batteries.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

this is cool + good

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Xaris posted:

speaking of uber, Forum on NPR had a segment about traffic in Marin and SMART and such and one of the head directors was like "well we're exploring partnering with car sharing like lyft and uber to subsidize rides to terminals"

ah, yes, the sonoma-to-sf line that ends a mile from the ferry terminal because the larkspur landing people didn't want a train going through

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
SMES is still the best energy storage because it's basically a cryogenically-cooled electric bomb

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the scale of energy waste on the grid due to day/night load cycles is absolutely absurd and if they were the sole provider for distributed energy storage they really would be that big but you have things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHrlnnbJuDg

that will probably kill them on price-point and will fit in the model of current generating infrastructure much better than localized loads shifting all over the place as uncontrolled storage systems come on and offline

I had a similar idea involving catapults and very large dense rocks at one point.

Shaggar posted:

No poo poo. "Our weights are denser than water therefore better" completely ignores the fact that hydroelectric doesn't require a mechanic to monitor and maintain every hundred cubic feet of inert water individually. Also, I can't imagine that the numerous engines and electrified tracks required to match the energy potential of the "gigawatt dam" claimed in the video would cost less than the dam either initially or over time.

edit - another thing: I thought local power storage and local power generation via battery packs and solar panels (or whatever) was considered beneficial, particularly to consumers who might like to have power during a rolling blackout. What's the rationale for shifting power storage to the side of a big mountain in Nevada? How does that alleviate grid overloads?

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 24, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jonny 290 posted:

pretty sure my favorite energy storage right now is molten salt b/c a: MOLTEN SALT is metal as hell and b: it has several technical advantages over other methods

energy storage is extremely my poo poo, but it's really hard to find any references that are not just news about energy storage companies that failed 5 years ago.

one energy storage solution that my friend told me about, that kind of blew my mind, was that some cold storage facilities simply crank up the cold by a couple of degrees during the day when they have free solar energy and then let the facilities warm back up in the night before starting to use grid power

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

someone post a plausible chain of consequences leading from brexit to popping the tech bubble. i'm edging here

stock market opens two hours from now down 3-5%, will stay low for a while. people who planned on cashing out to buy their $2 million San Francisco condo get nervous and the real estate market stalls. companies that are powered by stock based compensation (Uber, tesla, LinkedIn (lol @ Microsoft)) have a real problem when their stock stops growing. advertisers cut back on negative economic sentiment, causing Google and Facebook revenue growth to slow significantly, leading to their stock prices taking a big hit. dollar becoming even stronger, hurting Apple and Microsoft profits. all techs decline on sector pessimism. venture capital dries up, startups begin to fold. real estate is now declining in value, and some people holding mortgages on million dollar houses are losing their jobs and unable to find new ones, leading to short sales.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
speaking of which holy poo poo today is going to be a bad day due to British people being dumb.

RIP my stock grants

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

pretty sure my favorite energy storage right now is molten salt b/c a: MOLTEN SALT is metal as hell and b: it has several technical advantages over other methods
molten salt is great. i particularly like the environmental/danger profile - if your salt battery breaks open you're dealing with the menace of...a basement full of warm salt sludge, as opposed to a lithium fire or a disintegrated flywheel or lead-acid spraying over everything. mining and deploying salt batteries is a lot easier on the environment than lithium too

still has engineering challenges. metal parts + hot salt sludge = corrosion hoo boy, and non metal parts have trouble with the heat

Moist von Lipwig posted:

theres an interesting solution where you dig a big, deep hole, put a giant rock plug in it and pump water underneath and use the potential energy from that but i dont know how proven it is.
compressed air storage is also a thing

those trains are cool too

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

long term maintenance is an absolutely pain in the rear end with pump storage and you need good topology for it. once cracks start forming in it, every gallon you lose cuts in to your efficiency and its difficult to find and repair them while in operation. they have scuba teams doing constant inspections on facilities and is dangerous work, because you can just get sucked in and killed at a leak. placement is much easier if you just need a grade and likely won't see the same rate of diminishing efficiency through the lifecycle, not to mention servicing costs will likely be lower. probably worth some trade off in efficiency due to increased friction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The Management posted:

stock market opens two hours from now down 3-5%
lmao not even close

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cleaning out my junk mail today and I found this:

quote:

Hope I'm catching you at a good time. My name is Jon Boni and I am with Digital Fortress. I was hoping to briefly discuss with you a strategic partnership opportunity relative to the Cloud.

Parallel, let's have a brief conversation on a day next week, or the week after to see how we might help you and your company vis-à-vis the Cloud. Thanks and talk soon.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

cleaning out my junk mail today and I found this:
erowid recruiter slowly irrupting its way into the real world

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

someone post a plausible chain of consequences leading from brexit to popping the tech bubble. i'm edging here

well if the markets crash theres technically a potential that credit markets dry up again, and with it VC money as the former billionaires (now lowly millionaires) flee to cash which would mean that the crazy funding rounds are over which would potentially kill the companies that rely on VC money to continue operating, so all of them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

the scale of energy waste on the grid due to day/night load cycles is absolutely absurd and if they were the sole provider for distributed energy storage they really would be that big but you have things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHrlnnbJuDg

that will probably kill them on price-point and will fit in the model of current generating infrastructure much better than localized loads shifting all over the place as uncontrolled storage systems come on and offline

a lot of people are thinking that what we'll really need to do is to start making a bunch of energy intensive factories that manufacture fuel from various things (eg you can make jet fuel from a bunch of water and carbon dioxide if you have a whole bunch of electricity and some catalysts). this will work to use up all the massive spikes in production we're likely to get during the days from mass solar installations, and can somewhat help with fueling things that batteries still don't really work for.

eschaton posted:

have you seen how suburbanites have pretty much abandoned school busses and there's now a line of SUVs every day to drop off and pick up the precious kids?

it's not because they have before- or after-school activities that aren't in line with the bus schedule

this only happens in places where a lot of families can afford to be single income households, and even then its really not all that common.

you're not leaving work at your barely above minimum wage job at 3 pm to come pick up little billy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bhodi posted:

lmao not even close

it opened down 3.5% so :shrug:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The Management posted:

it opened down 3.5% so :shrug:
and then

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

e: also trains don't freeze in the winter or evaporate on a hot day

maybe in communist europe they don't

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my fxy is up more than my fxe is down so v:shobon:v

e: holy hell gold up 5% today, is it 2008 all over again?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the pound and the euro are affected by this mess, so the non USD component of people's investments need to go somewhere, apparently thats gold or the JPY

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

The Management posted:

stock market opens two hours from now down 3-5%, will stay low for a while. people who planned on cashing out to buy their $2 million San Francisco condo get nervous and the real estate market stalls. companies that are powered by stock based compensation (Uber, tesla, LinkedIn (lol @ Microsoft)) have a real problem when their stock stops growing. advertisers cut back on negative economic sentiment, causing Google and Facebook revenue growth to slow significantly, leading to their stock prices taking a big hit. dollar becoming even stronger, hurting Apple and Microsoft profits. all techs decline on sector pessimism. venture capital dries up, startups begin to fold. real estate is now declining in value, and some people holding mortgages on million dollar houses are losing their jobs and unable to find new ones, leading to short sales.

:jackbud:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol @ the dream of low priced sf real estate. someone will always be able to pay more than you can

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
... people are happy about global economic downturn?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

MeruFM posted:

... people are happy about global economic downturn?

gently caress yeah, eat the rich, who will be the ones to suffer from this and not the poor, how could they get poorer? and especially not me with my IT tech skills that are in super high demand today.

Let me just use my equity to secure a loan for that $1.2 million dollar town house from 1965 on reclaimed land.

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 24, 2016

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

lol @ the dream of low priced sf real estate. someone will always be able to pay more than you can

swr

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
a "real estate crash" would be a 10%-15% fall in prices.

more than enough to wipe out petit bougie fucks who are leveraged to their eyeballs but the billionaire tax dodgers will mostly just shrug and you still wouldn't be able to afford poo poo all in nyc or the bay area

economic growth funnels directly into the real estate market (try making a reliable living touching computers in any place that doesn't have sky high real estate prices rn) and it's mega hosed up

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
real estate prices won't return to normal until interest rates do

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

real estate prices won't return to normal until interest rates do

so never, great

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
real estate will never decrease in price (unless you, like, dump nuclear waste on it) because they aren't making any more of it

source: Luthor, L. "Superman" (Warner Brothers, 1978)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

gimmicky dating site offers people beta access if they buy a t-shirt

http://us13.campaign-archive2.com/?u=7ee05f80b53638f6895e2e941&id=bba50cc788

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yeah, I don't really believe in a significant decline in real estate prices in the Bay Area. plus it's amazing how many people I talk to that are "waiting for the bubble to burst" to buy, not realizing they are all competing with each other to keep the price high and are still all behind cash-only Chinese investors in their purchasing power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

yeah, I don't really believe in a significant decline in real estate prices in the Bay Area. plus it's amazing how many people I talk to that are "waiting for the bubble to burst" to buy, not realizing they are all competing with each other to keep the price high and are still all behind cash-only Chinese investors in their purchasing power

lol if you want to stay in the bay area long term

• Locked thread