Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Deconstruction" doesn't mean much. "Dark twist on trope", maybe?

Man of Steel where Superman and humanity make a leap of faith to fight fascism, and this is a "dark twist".

Anora posted:

Make Superman snap Zod's neck after he's come back a few times and constantly wiped out a city each time.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

You know, like in the comics.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Anora posted:

You know, like in the comics.

Skipping ahead was MoS's best creative decision.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 23, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Writers and directors these days (oh, who am I kidding, they've been doing this for years) love to use "deconstructing" a character as a shorthand for "exploring" a character...but in practice this comes across less like exploration and more like trying to air these characters' dirty laundry and expecting kudos for being the first to come up with the most lurid details.

No one's tired of genuine deconstruction, of character exploration or genre-bending curveballs; Captain America: Civil War did both, for instance. What they're tired of is dirty laundry masquerading as something weighty or erudite.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Yeah but what if, right, now follow me here...

What if Batman... is the reason the Joker exists.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sion posted:

What if Bruce Wayne.... is the mask?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey guys.

What if...Batman is just as bad as the people he fights.

What if...Superman is morally flexible and selfish.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Surprised to see all this hate for The Dark Knight and Silver Age Superman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Guys what is the Joker is another personality of two face? Have we ever seen both at the same time? Don't look it up, I'll answer. No. We haven't. They're the same guy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Hey guys.

Sup Mark Millar?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises are significantly more interesting and biting than BvS is because their overall message is that Batman kinda sucks and is a hosed up thing whereas BvS's message is "Batman is hosed up but it's okay because he's Batman so he's a good guy anyway."

Like by the end of BvS Batman has been murdering and torturing people but it's okay he was just having a bad day, he's still a Good Guy, you want to see him on the Justice League.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

twistedmentat posted:

The Death of Superman Lives

I liked how everyone really seemed to hate Jon Peters and basically confirmed everything Kevin Smith said about him. Guy came off as an incredible douchebag. I'm actually surprised he agreed to be interviewed. I also really dug Tim Burton's Munters/Addams Family house. It's exactly like what I would expect Tim Burton's place to look like.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sion posted:

Toxxupation posted:

Hey guys.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 23, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
e: nah

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 18, 2016

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is redemption. Batman is redeemed because he fights to help people again.

Batman in the Dark Knight Trilogy fails because he doesn't fight right. Batman in himself isn't good or evil, it depends on his actions.
Not in the Dark Knight Trilogy.

The entire viewpoint of The Dark Knight Trilogy is summed up in the "Either you die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." It was a bold quote because they plastered it in the trailers despite it telegraphing Batman's decision in the film.

Batman's actions can be good, but they can never truly be just. Batman is necessary in the context of the film because he is course correcting a broken system. The problem becomes what happens when Batman becomes the norm. That's what's threatened by the Sons of the Batman and the Joker, to create a world without rules.

Batman chooses to let himself become a villain in order to demonize his lawless ways and prop up the just system that Dent could represent. The problem is that the "just" system he creates is based on deception and adapts deception as its main tool. The whole beginning of the film starts with a lame CIA Agent pretending to be Batman and failing at it, but even Batman fails at being Batman because deception can only ever be a temporary tool. Batman only wins when he abandons instilling fear and instead becomes fearless. The final battle is in broad daylight because the shadows were never truly his allies.

At the very end of the film, just like in the comics, Robin emerges as a better Batman for the age of transparency. Bruce realizes that the choice between being a hero or a villain was a false dichotomy, He opts to transcend the gritty realism of Nolan's world and become a legend. He literally becomes Adam West Batman. As a legend, he serves to inspire others to do good. To not follow his techniques, but the spirit in which they were carried out. In a lot of ways, it's a comment on how we view superheroes personally. Is the power fantasy that we can do better and overcome people; or is the power fantasy about just punching people.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bokeem Woodbine reportedly just joined Spider-Man Homecoming.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Concept artist Joshua James Shaw posted these early X-Men Apocalypse costume concepts on Facebook

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MrAristocrates posted:

Bokeem Woodbine

I'm reminded of DMX's words on Barack Obama's name.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That one on the left is basically the 90s cartoon version. Minus the glasses which are on the middle one

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

The middle one is based on this costume I've only seen in Marvel character posters that had never been used in the books to my knowledge

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The best comment I saw about homecoming is "it's like they're casting it like they're actually in New York".

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dacap posted:

The middle one is based on this costume I've only seen in Marvel character posters that had never been used in the books to my knowledge

Sue Storm going for a problematic grope there.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That has to be Greg Land who did that poster, eh?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

IUG posted:

That has to be Greg Land who did that poster, eh?

Sue looks like a Greg Land, but they all look to be copy pasted from a few different sources. The coloring doesn't match on a few of them.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Sue looks like a Greg Land, but they all look to be copy pasted from a few different sources. The coloring doesn't match on a few of them.
Yeah, I think it's just a composite--the full landscape art is everywhere online but I couldn't find an actual credit for it anywhere, which tells me it was done in-house by mashing a bunch of art together (and a lot of the smaller characters are definitely different art styles). There's a She-Hulk that looks like it was ripped from one of Slott's covers.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

A wealthy white male would never be committed to Arkham in even the most "deconstructed" universe.

The Penguin :colbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Almost never goes to Arkham. Him and Catwoman, who almost never gets caught anyway, aren't crazy, and go to Blackgate :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Almost never goes to Arkham. Him and Catwoman, who almost never gets caught anyway, aren't crazy, and go to Blackgate :colbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tommy Elliot is probably pretty well off too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is anyone else kind of skeeved out by how much the promotion for Suicide Squad focuses on Leto's Joker considering how every story that makes him seem like a huge creepy fucktard rear end in a top hat? Even the ones WB is releasing in an attempt to make his joker look super cool and menacing.

I've said it a million times before, gently caress the Joker and gently caress the people who this is trying to appeal to.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Yeah, I've been excited for the movie but all the press stuff of Jared Leto torturing his co-stars by giving them dead animals and used condoms as gifts is really off-putting, regardless of whether they're true or not.

Juggalo tattoos aside, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt with this portrayal of the character. Nicholson's Joker was very much a gangster type and that's an interpretation that's been used before, so a more modern version of that makes some sense. But the hosed up "method acting" narrative they've been trying to create around the production just makes it sound like Jared Leto is insufferable at best, and an abusive creep at worst which really turns me off the movie.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Joker sells and will bring people into the movie, he has name recognition with the non target audience. My grandma probably knoskeleton.s who Joker is but would not be familer with Harley Quinn.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His Joker performance looks p good too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

My grandma probably knoskeleton.s who Joker is but would not be familer with Harley Quinn.

That is one weird auto correct.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not if his grandma is dead. Knoskeleton is a verb for "to be a skeleton who knows".

My grandma knoskeletons what it's like to grow a victory garden.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Among people who aren't dead grandmas Harley is more popular than the Joker at this point.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

That autocorrect glitch makes me reconsider my outlooks on life and death

I asked my non skeleton mother and she doesn't know who Harley Quinn is, Knows who Joker is and will watch every movie Will Smith is in

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

greatn posted:

His Joker performance looks p good too.

does it

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Yeah based on the commercials. I really like the look more each time I see it, his voice is really good, especially the laugh, and he seems genuinely a little scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it looks really really tryhard

• Locked thread