Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bhodi posted:

So the two games worth buying that aren't avail on steam that have been recommended in this thread are darknet and chronos?

Like others have said chronos is the bee's knees and definitely the meatiest experience, outside of sandbox things like driving sims, or elite or something. I don't know if they're on sale but the climb is also really fun, just a little expensive for what it is at full price, and edge of nowhere is absolutely phenomenal and worth every penny to me. Herobound is ok, though a bit pale after playing chronos, and esper 2 is an ok puzzle game as well, they're not super groundbreaking, but probably worth the 5 bucks or so they are on sale.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Chronos is kinda expensive, but interesting, could someone describe what they like about it and whether they think its worth it?

I definitely think its worth it if you like action RPG type games. What I really liked about it was the incredible atmosphere and visuals, it's interesting ageing mechanic, and the fact that every enemy was like its own puzzle to solve, each one you have to learn exactly when to block, when to dodge, when to strike. Its slow and you have to take your time, if you just blaze through taking a lot of hits you get punished by dying more and ageing quicker. It really makes you feel and regret every single stab that you should have avoided.

The only real downside for me was I would have liked more more equipment and items. Theres only like 8 weapons (though you can upgrade any of them), and a few shields and thats it.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I really enjoyed dead secret on gearVR, very interesting experience.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Oh for the love of god, ~10 hours of gameplay in my Vive is dead; flickered and went black steps away from me dominating the poo poo out of some HordeZ leader-board.

Couple hours of troubleshooting later it looks like the "watchman board" is completely dead, showing up grayed out in USB....

....and back to HTC customer service we go :suicide:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So the Steam sale is up... what are the absolutely must-have titles?

So far the most interesting one to me seems to be Tabletop Simulator, as it's one purchase that can be used for hundreds of games.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Bhodi posted:

So the two games worth buying that aren't avail on steam that have been recommended in this thread are darknet and chronos?
I can't speak for Chronos, but Darknet is good if you're into puzzle games at all. I certainly don't regret paying :10bux: for it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

So the Steam sale is up... what are the absolutely must-have titles?

So far the most interesting one to me seems to be Tabletop Simulator, as it's one purchase that can be used for hundreds of games.

HordeZ is pretty amazing if you like rail shooters, It's like House of the Dead kicked up to 11 12

edit: seriously, right before my Vive died I had this awesome Equilibrium-style gun-fu moment where I was surrounded by the big tanky ogre-archetype guys and I was just twisting back and forth in a circle with twin pistols keeping them stun locked by shooting them in the face before they could swing, like no-look over the shoulder, crossing arms craziness.... it was loving amazing.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 24, 2016

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jarmak posted:

Oh for the love of god, ~10 hours of gameplay in my Vive is dead; flickered and went black steps away from me dominating the poo poo out of some HordeZ leader-board.

Couple hours of troubleshooting later it looks like the "watchman board" is completely dead, showing up grayed out in USB....

Did you desecrate an indian burial ground while breaking a mirror in front of a black cat recently?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I have DarkNet on my GearVR and it is great. On an S7, it will slow down after a few games, which I'm guessing won't happen in PC.

I also have Chronos and it is great. I haven't beaten it yet, though it did create a great feeling of looking into a fantasy world and the game play is quite good (though it does make me really want something closer to Dark Souls).

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Did you hit-and-run a gypsy or something I think you may be cursed.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Darknet is a pretty cool puzzle/hacking game. If you watch Giant Bomb's Oculus launch day video here: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/oculus-rift-launch-lineup-part-01/2300-11076/ Jeff Gerstmann plays it (skip forward to about the 54 minute mark). Jeff said it might be his favorite game out of the Oculus launch lineup. It's pretty simple and not like graphically wowing aside from a good sense of space, but the VR portion is used smartly and it is just a good, fun game with some decent progression in terms of a few unlockables and increasing difficulty.

Picked this up after your post and yeah, this game is awesome, managed to lose almost 3 hours hours playing it 0.o

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yeah, if it's the kind of game that'll grab you, it's probably one of the better values out there right now in terms of time for money.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

According to the Revive developer Oculus has removed the headset check from their DRM. Hopefully this real and permanent. Some of our fellow goons will be able to quit their high blood pressure medication if so.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe if this becomes a permanent thing. They could have easily just forgotten to enable DRM in the latest patch, this kind of poo poo happens fairly often :v:

Or, they disabled the DRM for their Home sale and will enable it again later! :tinfoil:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Reports are coming in that they have indeed removed the check. I'm happy for this, but once bitten twice shy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe they realized that PR lady said "It's fine if an individual mods the game to work with other headsets" but that means every individual has to disable all of their DRM.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Considering so many SteamVR Vive games are on sale... are any other Rift owners planning on picking some of them up and crossing fingers for Touch support in the future? Does anyone know of some Vive must-haves that have already stated they will eventually add Touch support?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I believe that any Vive games using motion controls will automatically work with the Rift's Touch controllers right now, though minor things like control prompts will likely be wrong and the angle you hold the guns in something like Space Pirate Trainer or Hover Junkers may be off.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
And the buttons don't match up, so occasionally some actions will be impossible.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ordered Rift in mid April, just got an email that it will be processing soon. No shipping date yet.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Poetic Justice posted:

It should just show in its own category. Some people werent getting the update and had to reboot their computer, sorta weird but worth a try.

https://www2.oculus.com/experiences/rift/

The sale items should be right below featured.

I don't have most of those, are any of them besides Cronos recommended? I don't have any of them on steam except Keep Talking.

edit, I've got Darknet and Technolust as well. VR experience type stuff is ok as well, half of the use for this thing is showing people at the museum I work at.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 24, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sliderule posted:

I always said I'd never be able to stick something on my eyeball. VR changed my mind. I'm switching to contacts.

I'd LASIK, but that poo poo's not permanent.

You can't use VR with glasses? I mean, that makes sense, but it means it's not for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I went through and checked the page again and I guess I figured that those should have been the prices the whole time. I guess it's hard to have a sale when all the games just came out a few months ago.

Edit: Ok, I updated the software and now it also shows the old price instead of just the sale price.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

You can't use VR with glasses? I mean, that makes sense, but it means it's not for me.

Yes, you can, but it's easier without. A game that gets you sweating will fog up your glasses, for instance.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Phlegmish posted:

sliderule posted:

Yes, you can, but it's easier without. A game that gets you sweating will fog up your glasses, for instance.

Yeah and if your frames are too big it's super uncomfortable in the Rift. I've got a really bad astigmatism and playing with contacts is the only way to do it for more than a few minutes.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I've been waffling on darknet, it looked interesting from the GB stream.

Since there's more people here vouching for it i may just pull the trigger.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
With Oculus removing the DRM check that means it's the second time in recent history that bitching on the Internet got real results. Paid mods and now Oculus hardware drm. Good job everyone. :toot:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah and if your frames are too big it's super uncomfortable in the Rift. I've got a really bad astigmatism and playing with contacts is the only way to do it for more than a few minutes.

I feel bad because I'm literally forcing my boyfriend to switch out his glasses with contacts to use my Rift, but I've read that people's glasses are scratching it and I'm horrified of that... I'm going to try some cutting some Saran Wrap or something for the lens since I'm pretty sure it isn't completely flat on the surface.

It'd be awesome if someone could just make a molded, tempered glass that's custom fit for the CV1, like those cheap glass phone protectors.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
It's way better with contacts anyway, you don't have to deal with the warping you get with typical lenses on the edges.

My situation is only annoying because I can't wear soft contacts and starting out with hard contacts is real irritating until your eyelids adjust. Just got mine the week the Rift finally shipped and it's been tear central.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Now that I'm past the "I'm really high and Universe Sandbox is blowing my mind" phase, Battle Dome is the most fun I'm having on the Vive. Game looks like total garbage but nonetheless I find myself believing I'm shooting paint and lasers inside of space stations. Actual multi-player deathmatching!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/oculus-reverses-course-dumps-its-vr-headset-checking-drm/

quote:

Shortly after publication, Oculus representatives confirmed to Ars Technica that the company had indeed removed any Rift hardware check from its runtimes in the latest update. The company further insisted that it "will not use hardware checks as part of DRM on PC in the future," even though Ars hadn't asked about whether this was a short-term change.

So Oculus PR has now officially stated to a well-known tech news site that the hardware DRM will not be returning. Presumably that carries more weight than Palmer spouting off on Reddit.

Assuming they stick with this they're now back to UPlay/Origin levels where their decisions aren't what I want but I can entirely understand why they're doing what they're doing.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
Them confirming to Ars is huge, it may actually get me to spend money on their store in the future. Edge of Nowhere looks pretty cool.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yeah, that's super good news. Maybe one of these days they'll even add some sort of official Vive support (I wouldn't hold my breath on that at this point, but one can hope).

E: Looks like they've made the same statement to other publications as well, which is encouraging.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 24, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Now if they could just make the Social part of the store actually useful for something, they might have a not so lovely store to buy a few Oculus exclusive games on finally.

Guess time will tell.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

I don't have most of those, are any of them besides Cronos recommended? I don't have any of them on steam except Keep Talking.

edit, I've got Darknet and Technolust as well. VR experience type stuff is ok as well, half of the use for this thing is showing people at the museum I work at.

I generally hate recommending games since tastes can vary so much, but the ones I have no reservations recommending are Blazerush and PinballFX VR. Both of those games are the type that you will likely enjoy even if you aren't a fan of the genre normally. I have never been big on pinball but have put a ridiculous amount of time playing that game somehow. Blazerush is amazingly fun too, just be aware that the Steam Version doesn't have VR, so you have to get it from Home if you want VR to work. Dead Secret is one I really enjoyed too. It's a murder investigation adventure game that has you solving puzzles trying to figure out who murdered someone, but with adventure games I realize not everyone like them and I don't think it's quite good enough to recommend unless you like that specific genre. Also it has some creepy/scary parts, with a few jump scares too, just so you are aware. Nothing overwhelming, but just a heads up since some people can't stand that in VR.

edit: That Apollo experience is supposed to be pretty cool, I haven't gotten it yet though. Maybe someone can chime in here that has tried it, but from what I gathered it's more or less a 20-30 minute "movie" with a few interactive parts. I'm a total space nerd, but I personally can't see spending $10 for something like that, even though a lot of people have said it's great.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 24, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Cool appreciate it.

Definitely curious about the Apollo and Grand Canyon ones. I need a few things that work well with people over fifty that've never played a video game before.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

theBeaz posted:

Considering so many SteamVR Vive games are on sale... are any other Rift owners planning on picking some of them up and crossing fingers for Touch support in the future? Does anyone know of some Vive must-haves that have already stated they will eventually add Touch support?

Aside from tons of demos and some cheapy sale impulse buys I bought SPT and enjoy flailing wildly on level 2 using the leap Motion.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Cool appreciate it.

Definitely curious about the Apollo and Grand Canyon ones. I need a few things that work well with people over fifty that've never played a video game before.

They would probably love the Apollo experience in that case, especially at that age.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Poetic Justice posted:

edit: That Apollo experience is supposed to be pretty cool, I haven't gotten it yet though. Maybe someone can chime in here that has tried it, but from what I gathered it's more or less a 20-30 minute "movie" with a few interactive parts.

Yup. I really liked it. I'd say any space nerd should check it out.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
How do I rebind the gamepad controls in Eve Valkyrie? The game doesn't seem to want to let me, doesn't recognise inputs when I'm at the rebind menu. Game's a blast apart from that though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Returned Space Pirate Trainer, got Windlands.

Definitely feels like an upgrade, I am having a ton of fun, but wow. After two and a half hours in Windlands my heart is feeling really weird. Unpleasantly so. I also almost fell over a couple times, getting unbalanced is definitely a real thing in this game and it's the first time It's ever happened to me.

But yeah, exploring and swinging and stuff is really quite fun, I think I'm gonna get a lot of fun out of this one.

And I will figure out how to get to the top of that tower just to the right of the first hub branch. I got so close, now I just need to figure out how to do the very last bit without throwing myself into the pit and having to start over again...

Does anyone know if there's any equipment upgrades or anything? Or is it just collecting mural pieces and gate keys?