Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dongicus posted:

is there a point to having 22 classes that all have extremely similar roles

They are all very unique, and it's more fun to have a bunch of choices rather than 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It's Good that some heroes counter other heroes. Yes, even widowmaker.

Also I'm never going to play with any of you weirdos after the drama from the last couple pages.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

idk i just feel as if the game is super cluttered.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I don't, I enjoy that there's a character for everybody. I wouldn't be into this game if it didn't have that charm.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The characters are all very distinct in terms of abilities, weapons, and personality so the large cast feels worthwhile

If it was like 3 shotgun guys and 4 snipers and 2 mercy variants it would be pointless, but the variety is great here

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I'd like to see more new characters. We need an omnic tank and an omnic offence character to round out team omnic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea they did a good job making the heroes all feel distinct

even heroes that fulfill the same roles do so in unique ways, so you aren't just limited to one option for your playstyle of choice

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
playing mostly mercy after the patch the number of widowmakers that have killed me is dramatically lower than the number of roadhogs, winstons (dying to a winston over 4 seconds as your teammates do not grasp the simple concept of getting into line of sight of you is pretty great), and genjis that have killed me

thanks for bodyshotting my teammates to build my ult charge, widowmaker

im also the guy starting drama after not taking turns to play heroes? :confused:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 24, 2016

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

JackDarko posted:

I don't, I enjoy that there's a character for everybody. I wouldn't be into this game if it didn't have that charm.

Don't you know? If you don't use the same 6 heroes LG used in their last match you are a scrub who doesn't want to win and should uninstall.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 24, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
D.Va is really fun, especially in places like the first point of Hollywood where you can fight someone at the exit of a hallway/room for a bit and then boost completely around the building to the other end of the hallway/room and shoot them in the back.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Dongicus posted:

You're wrong.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

RCarr posted:

You just have to stay out of the range of his hook and you're completely safe. I don't see many flanking Roadhog's but even if that's the case, just fly to a nearby teammate and you're fine.

There's generally two places you want to be with Roadhog: Either long range, or right up in his face. Right up in his face is safer than you might imagine because while Roadhog wants you close, he doesn't want you too close, because his shotgun is more likely to whiff past you if you're right up next to him, whereas he's just a mountain of flesh that you can hold down fire on and never miss.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sade posted:

It's Good that some heroes counter other heroes. Yes, even widowmaker.

Also I'm never going to play with any of you weirdos after the drama from the last couple pages.

The only thing that counters a widowmaker is another widowmaker, though, she's too strong at every range for a 200hp character that is so small and so mobile.

The closest thing to a counter she has is being blind side double tapped by Mei's right click while standing still.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zoness posted:

playing mostly mercy after the patch the number of widowmakers that have killed me is dramatically lower than the number of roadhogs, winstons (dying to a winston over 4 seconds as your teammates do not grasp the simple concept of getting into line of sight of you is pretty great), and genjis that have killed me

thanks for bodyshotting my teammates to build my ult charge, widowmaker

im also the guy starting drama after not taking turns to play heroes? :confused:

I really wish more teammates understood that if you in LoS of Mercy she can escape to you instead of hanging just out of sight like "don't worry, that Winston isn't that tough!"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah Roadhog has perhaps the most pronounced close range misalignment of his aim to where he hits, because his model is so wide and unlike Reinhardt/D.Va/Winston his weapon has a projectile that actually fires from his right hand towards his target. It makes sense when fighting him because you can see the scrap come out of his gun but it's really awkward as him if you don't know what's going on.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I like playing as Zenyatta when we have a mercy because I like to go on high ground and I always have to make sure I stay in LOS of the rest of my team so Mercy can always jump to me if she needs to.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish more teammates understood that if you in LoS of Mercy she can escape to you instead of hanging just out of sight like "don't worry, that Winston isn't that tough!"

I'll raise you: I wish more teammates understood staying in LoS of An Healer was very, very important for both of us, dammit :mad:

i am zenyatta, come to a window for a healing orb don't stay on the indoor second story of a building spamming for heals. i don't think you're penske material, hanzo!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Dongicus posted:

Wrong thread. You want the Battleborn thread over there.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Ddraig posted:

There's generally two places you want to be with Roadhog: Either long range, or right up in his face. Right up in his face is safer than you might imagine because while Roadhog wants you close, he doesn't want you too close, because his shotgun is more likely to whiff past you if you're right up next to him, whereas he's just a mountain of flesh that you can hold down fire on and never miss.

Or enemies behind Reinhardt's shield.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Willie Tomg posted:

I'll raise you: I wish more teammates understood staying in LoS of An Healer was very, very important for both of us, dammit :mad:

I would really like it if they changed the indicator for supports on your team so you could ID them through walls. As a support I can see people's wireframes through walls and I think they should be able to see me too. Sometimes I'm hurt and want to run to our Mercy but I dunno which one of the blue V's she is.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I don't feel strongly about them putting more spotting tools into the game but it's not like they can fix player errors. The ability to learn how healers work exists in the game, but people opt out of it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

I would really like it if they changed the indicator for supports on your team so you could ID them through walls. As a support I can see people's wireframes through walls and I think they should be able to see me too. Sometimes I'm hurt and want to run to our Mercy but I dunno which one of the blue V's she is.

The Vs could benefit from little icons above them. Cross for healer. Shield for tank. Poop emoji for Hanzo, etc.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Verranicus posted:

You're wrong.

Why? Explain the point of the revolver guy to me

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dongicus posted:

he has a stun and does hitscan burst damage

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dongicus posted:

To stop the jumpy girl from getting a cheeky nandos

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Revelant posted:

This is just an announcement if people didn't know that these exist.

Some heroes have extra control options. (options -> controls -> select the hero)

Lucio - hold to crossfade

What is crossfade? It goes back and forth on its own between healing and speed as needed?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dongicus posted:

He's flanker protection and does the largest medium range burst damage in the game

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Plenty could be fixed with better play and awareness but for instance if I see a blue V falling off the side of a cliff my immediate response is not to run over and see who it is -- but if I could tell it was our Mercy I'm likely going to drop everything and try to go stand there.

I like in-game tools that make teamwork easier to coordinate because it reduces the barrier to entry while not really reducing the skill cap. Like in Dota you can alt-click a ton of stuff and the game will spit out context-sensitive barks like 'my heal skill is on cooldown (5 seconds remain)'. Cooldowns are short enough in this that it doesn't matter much but I could still totally see a value in being able to, as Zarya, tell my team that I can't shield them for a bit or as Lucio tell them it'll be a bit before my next E. A couple more things on the chat wheel ('wait for team' or 'enemy flanking us!' and such) would be neat too.

Grammaton posted:

What is crossfade? It goes back and forth on its own between healing and speed as needed?

If the option is enabled it defaults to healing and only does speed boost while you have shift held down.

E: also speaking of the V's when they turn yellow does that mean they're doing or taking damage?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

If the option is enabled it defaults to healing and only does speed boost while you have shift held down.

I tried that option once and found that it was not switching back when I released the key. It would eventually, but it seemed to wait until I did something else. But it wasn't consistent. Sometimes it would wait for me to shoot, or jump, or strafe. Really weird. I ended up turning it off because while I like the idea in theory, it's pointless if I can't rely on it to swap for me and people are dying because I'm still bumping speed music. Similarly, I tried the auto-climb walls option for the classes that can use it and it didn't seem to make any difference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dongicus posted:

McCree has a stun and extremely high DPS (though not as high as it used to be.) He's important for keeping mobile flankers under control while still contributing to a fight. Until the last patch he was actually insanely overpowered and could trivially wreck anyone rather than just the mobile squishy types.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Turrets need a nerf. No reason they should be able to track you through buildings with pin point accuracy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fromsinkingsands posted:

Turrets need a nerf. No reason they should be able to track you through buildings with pin point accuracy.

I honestly think turrets have slightly too long a range. I feel like they either need a shorter range or the time it takes for them to accurately track you should go up with distance. They're not really overpowered but it's always dumb when you see a death recap that is a turret halfway across the map that gets a split-second shot off on you through a gap in a wall or something.

The only downside I'd see is that honestly they're not *that* strong as it stands. They get Play Of The Games but there are so many counters to them that a nerf seems hard to justify.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Not that strong" is an understatement -- Torbjornn's one of the weakest heroes in the game.

Unless you mean on console, in which case that guy is probably right, but wrong in the grander, spiritual sense of the word because you shouldn't play FPS on consoles.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

ImpAtom posted:

Roadhog isn't a strong flanker. He has minimal mobility and while his grab is strong its range isn't THAT long. Just keep in him in mind and stay away from him.

I disagree, my best Roadhog runs are when I play him like a morbidly obese Tracer (or at least, what I gather good Tracer play is? I haven't really gotten the hang of her yet :( ). Trying to play him in a typical tank role never seems to do much for me. At best you're ineffective... and at worst you're a detriment to the team, a giant ult-dispenser bumbling down the main path soaking up bullets.

However, he can be really good as an annoyance/assassin (especially on attack). Take side paths to get behind the enemy, if you're lucky you'll bump into one or two of their flankers along the way and can take them out of the picture (Reapers are hit or miss, but I usually like my chances when I round a corner and end up face-to-face with a Genji/Tracer in hallway, where their mobility isn't much of a factor). Then find a good spot and wait for opportunities to pop out and disrupt people.

As long as you don't just camp the same doorway (or overextend and try to FatRambo it up) you can cause a ton of chaos with surprisingly little risk, often throwing their whole team off balance. Delete healers and other squishes with a well-timed hook combo, soften up their bulkier heroes with M2 potshots while they're preoccupied, take out that annoying Bastion your Hanzo pubs keep blindly charging into, pull a Torb away from turret repair, shut down an ulting Soldier/Pharah/McCree, etc.

Harass them until you get their attention, then retreat, take a breather, and find another spot to bug them from. As long as you pick your battles and keep hitting them from different angles, people are more interested in holding back your team's main push than wandering off to track you down. When they try, you have the upper hand - It'll probably be one or two light- or medium-weight heroes in a close environment that plays to your strengths, you've had a chance to heal up, and half the time your Whole Hog is ready to pull in case things get dicey.

Of course, this all relies on your team putting consistent pressure on the front lines, and the enemy being distracted and/or uncoordinated enough to not deal with you... but that's kinda just how it goes for flankers. Even if they do take you down, you've still done your job - been enough of a nuisance to get people committed to hunting you down instead of defending the objective. For example, the other night on the last leg of Gibraltar attack I managed to get their Junkrat, Mei, and Lucio to chase me almost all the way back to spawn. Yeah they finally killed me, but in the meantime we pushed the payload inches away from the finish line 'cause half their team decided they'd rather spend the day pig hunting :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

roadhog off alone trying to flank is nothing but a giant target that feeds the other team's ults

you might pick some people off from time to time but you're also not actually helping your team at all. your team'll be down a guy where it matters (the objective) and you can't really fight multiple people at the same time unless they're really close and not focusing you down. mobility is important for flanks because it lets them pick people off without also getting stranded in no man's land. if you want a high dps flanker, that's what reaper's for

e: roadhog's really good at killing one guy at a time, but he's way better at it when he's supported by his team. also his ult sucks when he's alone but combos really well with zarya's and can be used to push the other team away, which isn't remotely useful outside of saving yourself when you're alone behind enemy lines. he's good for picking a team apart, catching runners, and breaking a formation since he can pull key heroes out of their safe zone

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 24, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah, I'm not sold on a disruption tank that has no mobility options. A Winston or D.va can get back to the point pretty quickly if need be.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Learn to do this with Revolver Guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdWJOs31IfY

Rgiht click is for trash.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, I'm not sold on a disruption tank that has no mobility options. A Winston or D.va can get back to the point pretty quickly if need be.

roadhog isn't really a tank, he's just a guy with a large health pool who has an ability that is very good for getting picks

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 24, 2016

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

CORN NOG posted:

Roadhog stuff

All good stuff.

I'll add that sometimes when I'm getting chased off back to spawn and my ultimate pops, I love ducking around a corner and then laying waste as the chase flips itself and I start melting/blowing back my chasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

roadhog isn't really a tank, he's just a guy with a large health pool that happens to have an ability that is very good for getting picks

the only true tank is reinhardt when you think about it