Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Hypnobeard posted:

I was also planning on doing more or less unrestricted multi/dual-classing, so I'd honestly expect to see thief show up as a second or third class fairly often.

How are you working that?

Along AD&D lines where you have to use xp to level both classes at once? But all classes take the same xp to level now? If so, multi'ing thief is probably worse than not multi'ing anything, which is obviously bad. Like, the reason thief works at all in AD&D is that it levels shitloads faster than every other class. Cleric/magic-user and fighter/magic-user are going to be off the loving charts too (in the other direction), which is also obviously bad.

Or have you mashed in 3e-style "take a level of X" multiclassing? How are you fitting that in with AD&D at all?

I'd really like to see what you're doing to make this work, because if you manage to pull it off, I'll definitely want to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

AlphaDog posted:

How are you working that?

Along AD&D lines where you have to use xp to level both classes at once? But all classes take the same xp to level now? If so, multi'ing thief is probably worse than not multi'ing anything, which is obviously bad. Like, the reason thief works at all in AD&D is that it levels shitloads faster than every other class. Cleric/magic-user and fighter/magic-user are going to be off the loving charts too (in the other direction), which is also obviously bad.

Or have you mashed in 3e-style "take a level of X" multiclassing? How are you fitting that in with AD&D at all?

I'd really like to see what you're doing to make this work, because if you manage to pull it off, I'll definitely want to use it.

I haven't really decided yet, which is why I was asking the question in the first place. I've seen a decent set of house rules that allows the multiclassing (either 2 or 3 total classes allowed, none of the classes can have the same prime requisite [so no fighter/ranger], XP split evenly) and dual-classing (which is basically 3e multiclassing, with a maximum of three classes, choose class to advance when you reach a new level), but I was curious how much of an impact using a unified XP table would be. I'm of the opinion that it's a lovely balance mechanic, just like the demihuman level limits. I haven't actually played with any of these rules, all my 1e experience was by the book with the exception of some of the fiddlier combat rules.

If you're curious, the house rules I've been looking over are here: http://www.grey-elf.com/ADnD_House_Rules.pdf

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Cleric takes a big hit too. There's a fix (just bump them one level), but that sort of counts on not allowing multiclassing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just a heads-up: confirmed Good Retroclone Beyond the Wall is 50% off on DriveThru today.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the hot tip! Bought.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Has anybody had much experience with Far Trek? From a brief skim it seems pretty cool.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just a heads-up: confirmed Good Retroclone Beyond the Wall is 50% off on DriveThru today.

Bought it, just gotta convince some people to play it with me.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I'm looking for an OSR system suggestion for my game group. I need something easy enough where we can make characters pretty quickly and get to playing, but not so simple that it will get boring to serious board gamers. We're probably only going to play once every couple of months, 4-5 PCs + a DM. There are so many systems, it's kind of nutty... any ideas on what I should start looking at?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'm looking for an OSR system suggestion for my game group. I need something easy enough where we can make characters pretty quickly and get to playing, but not so simple that it will get boring to serious board gamers. We're probably only going to play once every couple of months, 4-5 PCs + a DM. There are so many systems, it's kind of nutty... any ideas on what I should start looking at?

I haven't played it yet but reading Beyond the Wall... the character creation seems pretty sweet, and then the character creation feeds into generating a plot. Serious Board Gamers may even find the semi-random generation part neat / board-gamey.

It's also intended to be a one-shot that can extend to multiple sessions if you like... and if you're only thinking you'll play every couple of months, a one-shot might be exactly what you need.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Oh, that sounds pretty cool. Thanks!

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC RPG) has super quick character creation and a simple system.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

obeyasia posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC RPG) has super quick character creation and a simple system.

MCC RPG went live on Kickstarter last night, too, fwiw.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

im gaye posted:

MCC RPG went live on Kickstarter last night, too, fwiw.

Really makes me wish they had waited a month or two, as most of my July money is going towards Anime Expo Los Angeles next week

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Quick question. I'm playing Beyond the Wall with my friends tonight. I'm not DMing, it's my friend's first time and we've been talking over some basic stuff.

He brought up a scenario where e.g. a player wants to set a trap. I said I'd probably ask for a Dex check to see if the PC can actually make the trap, then roll a check to see if the monster notices the trap or not before triggering it. If I was running it, I'd probably just pick some number for the NPC to roll under to check if he sees it. I can't seem to find any rules that codify it more than that--the monsters in the bestiary don't have stats, so I can't really go off that. Rule of thumb regarding hit dice -> skill check mappings?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The player just makes the trap, and the monster is going to fall for it. The roll-under roll just determines what it does / how well it does it. A bear trap that slows down the target + deals damage, but a failed roll means only one happens.

That's how I would do it.

But to answer your question directly, what you can do is to impose a -1 penalty to the player's attribute score for every hit die that the monster has higher than the player, and a bonus if the monster has less HD than the player.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

That seems sensible, thanks. It would kinda suck to spend the time making the trap only to have the target notice it and avoid it... even "rolled a natural 20, dodges the rolling boulder completely" is more fun than "the goblin sees your tripwire and carefully steps over it."

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

New Barrowmaze Kickstarter. Killer deal on both campaigns since its Canadian dollars.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/843284272/barrowmaze-the-forbidden-caverns-of-the-archaia

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone going to Gen Con? The after hours Doug Con event looks to be killer this year.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DriveThru has finally gotten around to putting up the Expert and Companion sets.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That Mentzer revision is new, but David Cook's Expert set that followed from Moldvay's Basic set has been on DTRPG for a while now.

I do wish they'd do official PDFs of the Holmes Basic set

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 2, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Do you have a preferred method of random dungeon generation via table? The AD&D DMG of course has one, but it feels far too fine-grained to be able to quickly do.

2. Did anyone in the OSR ever try to remake/reboot the Tomb of Horrors?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Do you have a preferred method of random dungeon generation via table? The AD&D DMG of course has one, but it feels far too fine-grained to be able to quickly do.

Why by table and not one of the dozens of websites that will generate a random dungeon map you can fill in?

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Why by table and not one of the dozens of websites that will generate a random dungeon map you can fill in?

I like this one, http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/dungeon/ .

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I'm a Wizardawn man myself.

http://wizardawn.and-mag.com/

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not OSR, but there's always the 2e (sort of) sequel. I think it was (partly) covered in the FATAL & Friends thread.

I'm sort of hoping there won't be a proper remake. The idea of a dungeon whose literal, stated purpose is to murder PCs is a concept best left in the 70's, I think.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

There's a single player dungeon crawl that I can't remember the name of. Pretty sure it's got purple in the title and has something to do with caves.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Gygax's tables are meant for solo play or as an aid for campaign preparation. If you're going to use one on the fly, I'd use a geomorphs system instead, like the Dungeon Geomorphs for OD&D.

2. DCC 87.5 Grimtooth's Museum of Death is definitely a spiritual sequel, if a bit tongue in cheek.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm thinking of writing up a level 10 adventure for DCC, but I wonder if people even like the idea. It'd be that the elder gods who dreamed up law and chaos are waking up. As they do, the planes of reality are literally fading away to utter non-existence as the dream is ending. Most mortals have literally faded away into nothingness and only the gods and level 10 adventurers are mighty enough to remain in this waning period of elder god slumber. Either the adventurers succeed in stopping the elder gods from awaking or the entire universe will fade into absolute non-existence and the world will return to the elder gods and the void.

It'd be a game to end a campaign, if everyone fails. And, hell, even if they win, what could top stopping the literal end of the universe mid-start while most life in the entire universe has vanished?

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 4, 2016

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Comrade Koba posted:

I'm sort of hoping there won't be a proper remake. The idea of a dungeon whose literal, stated purpose is to murder PCs is a concept best left in the 70's, I think.

Nope.

Teenage dirtbags taking Nethack: Pen and Paper Edition and springing it on their friends in the middle of a campaign with zero warning to murder their "problematic" PCs is best left in the 70s.

"Hey guys, roll up some jerks, we're doing a meat grinder tonight!" is perfectly fine, and really fun to boot. Makes for good convention games too, since there's zero attachment.

Covok posted:

I'm thinking of writing up a level 10 adventure for DCC, but I wonder if people even like the idea. It'd be that the elder gods who dreamed up law and chaos are waking up. As they do, the planes of reality are literally fading away to utter non-existence as the dream is ending. Most mortals have literally faded away into nothingness and only the gods and level 10 adventurers are mighty enough to remain in this waning period of elder god slumber. Either the adventurers succeed in stopping the elder gods from awaking or the entire universe will fade into absolute non-existence and the world will return to the elder gods and the void.

It'd be a game to end a campaign, if everyone fails. And, hell, even if they win, what could top stopping the literal end of the universe mid-start while most life in the entire universe has vanished?

Sounds good to me. I'd play it. I think the highest level adventure published to date is Colossus, Arise! for level 8, so maybe take a look at that to see what the game expects high level characters to be capable of and challenged by.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 4, 2016

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Nope.

Teenage dirtbags taking Nethack: Pen and Paper Edition and springing it on their friends in the middle of a campaign with zero warning to murder their "problematic" PCs is best left in the 70s.

"Hey guys, roll up some jerks, we're doing a meat grinder tonight!" is perfectly fine, and really fun to boot. Makes for good convention games too, since there's zero attachment.

That'd make Gygax the OG teenage dirtbag, since he specifically stated the original intention was to gently caress over his players and/or unfortunate con visitors.

The problem with ToH is that it isn't a meat grinder at all. It's not challenging, it's just cheap.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

That'd make Gygax the OG teenage dirtbag, since he specifically stated the original intention was to gently caress over his players and/or unfortunate con visitors.

The problem with ToH is that it isn't a meat grinder at all. It's not challenging, it's just cheap.

Half-agree, the intention was to be a tournament module, which isn't springing it on people, and to challenge players. Gygax had the secondary goal of loving with Rob Kuntz and his son Ernie, which yeah is dirtbag behavior.

The real problem with Tomb of Horrors is that TSR tossed it into the wild without explaining any of that, so the assumption became that it was a standard example of what D&D was supposed to be like all the time.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 4, 2016

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Robilar solo'ed the temple of elemental evil. I don't think testing the abilities of one of the best D&D players of all time is a dick move. Tomb of Horrors can be garbage on it's own merit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I know they re-released AD&D 1e and 2e, but did they re-release the Rules Cyclopedia? In physical media, not digital.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Nope. Expect a physical re-release of BECMI and Mystara content precisely never.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Covok posted:

This sounds really awesome, but as you stated it has the inherent problem of having stakes higher than your standard old-school dungeon module, meaning that if you fail it's not just your character who's dead, but the entire world, and the campaign is over.

I do like it conceptually though. To make it into something playable in the scope of a long-term cohesive campaign maybe soften the stakes a little bit: instead of the world being destroyed because of the elder gods waking up them waking up is causing the world to change irreparably. The PCs' job isn't to prevent the world from getting destroyed, it's about damage control as the word changes in unpredictable ways as the elder gods stir for just a moment, only to go back to sleep once again.

Hell, depending on how the PCs resolved (or failed to resolve) the adventure it could lead into a really wide variety of outcomes completely outside of the scope of a normal dungeon-crawling adventure: entire characters' histories (and thus their character sheets) may get rewritten, the very laws of existence (i.e. the rules of the game) may change (like dwarves becoming capable of casting Magic-User spells) and so on.

It would still be one hell of a world-shaking scenario and depending on the outcome it could dramatically alter the tone and style of the campaign, but provided it was pulled off well while allowing for player agency it would actually be kind of cool to play through a scenario where the stakes involve the literal rules of the game changing.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've really only ever run funnels with DCC--adding the spell tables and trying to use the warrior narrative control feats never struck me as particularly awesome mechanics the way having a little squad of dudes who confront the Weird did. I'd be more tempted to use the funnel and then transfer the survivors into some more normal OSR game. Can anyone speak to higher level (i.e., post level 0) DCC play? I love the idea of DCC and the gonzo, heavy metal nature of it and everything, but I was never really sold on the higher level mechanics.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Covok posted:

Yeah, I’d play that. It sounds like a neat alternative to retirement as a campaign end for high level characters. It could also serve as a transition to a new campaign – if the elder gods were sleeping beforehand, perhaps one kind of victory is lulling them back to sleep and earning the cosmos another full turn of the great wheel/generic metaphor for infinite by cycles of creation and destruction. With most of the old world and its gods gone/forgotten, the surviving pcs might need to step in vacant roles in the new pantheon. This could be a cool way to bring the players into some collaborative world building, if they’re interested.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cat Face Joe posted:

There's a single player dungeon crawl that I can't remember the name of. Pretty sure it's got purple in the title and has something to do with caves.

Asking again, thanks.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've really only ever run funnels with DCC--adding the spell tables and trying to use the warrior narrative control feats never struck me as particularly awesome mechanics the way having a little squad of dudes who confront the Weird did. I'd be more tempted to use the funnel and then transfer the survivors into some more normal OSR game. Can anyone speak to higher level (i.e., post level 0) DCC play? I love the idea of DCC and the gonzo, heavy metal nature of it and everything, but I was never really sold on the higher level mechanics.

I ran a game that ended at about Level 7 and it went well. The only mechanic nobody was a fan of was Spell Dueling, but that was more because it takes the rest of the group and sets them on the sidelines to watch.

The Warrior dice mechanic is great if you have someone whose creative and willing to accept that despite the lethal nature DCC requires your characters to become overpowering bad asses to really make it work. Just having the descriptions of what they were doing was nice and helped everything stay at maximum hype levels versus saying 'oh I blind it'. Cleric healing is great because it works as a class ability versus through magic, freeing the magic up for other uses (which is a huge boon later on). By about level 7 the two Wizards in the party were well tainted and corrupted which thanks to the DCC options table was a lot of fun for everyone involved (them included). Our two Thieves were getting a +15 to Sneaking Silently, which for Thieves is rolled against a DC 20 unless there is some extraordinary creature in the area. They were insta opening most locks, always getting the jump, and needing a 4 or better to climb walls with no visible handholds and smooth. Mix that in with the Luck mechanic and they were the true powerhouses of the group when it came to being in position. The two halflings with their two handed specialty were blenders, and the one dwarf swung for the fences with every hit.

DCC is probably my favorite system hands down. While the Wizard has a looootttt of power, it's offset by spell failure and Patron invoking, and Mercurial Magic to a degree. Warriors deal great damage, but when their Deed dice land just right, they will turn the fight. Higher levels means more penalties they can lay down, and they roll on the best Crit tables really quickly.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
As D&D players are the most likely to have what I'm looking for I'm posting here and not in the SA-Mart and hoping nobody minds too much.

I am wondering if someone here might have a particular D20 that they would be willing to part with. It is a 19mm (I think it's 19mm and not 16mm, but whatever the "standard size" is) opaque black die with white ink. The numbers are sans serif with pips to identify the 6 and the 9. Let me know if you posses such a die and would be willing to sell, trade, or even give it away.

Thanks.

• Locked thread