Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think DCUO's character creation totally owns. You just unlock the majority of costume options through gameplay. Walk around for five minutes in a populated area and you'll see tons of awesomely creative stuff. I was able to recreate almost all of my City of Heroes characters pretty accurately.

DCUO had so much potential, but they ran into the usual endgame issues. Getting into endgame content was a mostly opaque process, there wasn't much there once you penetrated it, and it had a lot of balancing left to do. I think instead of fixing it, they just went all in on PvP for some reason.

The combo system in that game felt so damned good, and the costuming had so much variety. It was very simple, and permissive. Costume pieces dropped off of enemies who wore them. Fight rock guys, you got rock armor. You could mix and match your costume pieces at will. Then there were no dyes to buy. You just applied the colors you wanted. Your rock armor was a few clicks away from being ice armor. I want to say you could even make and save palettes to keep your colors uniform. Every hero I built looked and felt great. I still miss the awesome travel powers.

Somehow DC had a better media property than Marvel's, but they wound up letting it go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Clitch posted:

The combo system in that game felt so damned good, and the costuming had so much variety. It was very simple, and permissive. Costume pieces dropped off of enemies who wore them. Fight rock guys, you got rock armor.

They continue to have some comically bad problems with unfinishable costume sets.

Clitch posted:

You could mix and match your costume pieces at will. Then there were no dyes to buy. You just applied the colors you wanted. ... I want to say you could even make and save palettes to keep your colors uniform. Every hero I built looked and felt great. I still miss the awesome travel powers.

Actually, this was and is "You get to pick three colors for your entire costume, with separate colors for eyes, hair, and skin." This includes stuff like metallic details, so you have to save a slot to be White Chrome or Pale Gold or whatever. This leaves you two colors for your actual outfit. It sucks.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think it's great, even tards can make costumes that look decent. City of Heroes and DCUO are about making cool things with the tools you are given, if that kind of thing appeals to you there's a lot to love in DCUO

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

The DCUO character creator is impressive if you haven't played any superhero MMOs before, though it's weird reading from people who are blown away by it despite the limitations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah seriously. Maybe it opens up if you play fifty hours and collect a lot of bits for it, but from the perspective of someone who only played for a few hours it's so aggressively restrictive compared to CoH or ChampO's.

The game as a whole looks way better than either of those though, so that may be part of it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

jjac posted:

The DCUO character creator is impressive if you haven't played any superhero MMOs before, though it's weird reading from people who are blown away by it despite the limitations.

I can remake all my City of Heroes dudes, don't know what the issue is.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wildstar is a super hero mmo now?

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
drat RIGHT IT IS CUPCAKE

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Remembering CoX while wishing WildStar would die already.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
in the vein of talking about dumpster fires that aren't wildstar, I think I found out where the sales team for wildstar went after they got laid off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngbHOz--oc

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
woah a new thread title were the posters in this thread wrong about Wildstar shutting down? How surprising!

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

ArtIsResistance posted:

woah a new thread title were the posters in this thread wrong about Wildstar shutting down? How surprising!

Three months to go.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Comrayn posted:

Three months to go.

Much like the game devs he isn't up to date with current trends.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

ArtIsResistance posted:

Are you legitimately defending this tire fire? Is that REALLY the hill you want to stand on?

shwag
Apr 23, 2008

Minrad posted:

in the vein of talking about dumpster fires that aren't wildstar, I think I found out where the sales team for wildstar went after they got laid off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngbHOz--oc

The world as a whole needs to be narrated by these guys. Them and the guy who did Warhammer's videos should get together and party.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Are you legitimately defending this tire fire? Is that REALLY the hill you want to stand on?

Shhh, don't stop him. This is the closest the thread has come to something interesting in months.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

:munch:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

lol if you don't think that was just a driveby shitpost from someone who doesn't want to defend their terrible opinion

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

lol if you don't think that was just a driveby shitpost from someone who doesn't want to defend their terrible opinion

Whatever, I still have snacks. :munch:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I'm just saying it was funny that there used to be a Wildstar thread saying the game will shut down and a bunch of goons were posting in it and now years later there's a thread that doesn't say that but a bunch of goons are still oddly posting in it

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Whats so funny about that? I dont get it.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

nvm

Shy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 24, 2016

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

ArtIsResistance posted:

I'm just saying it was funny that there used to be a Wildstar thread saying the game will shut down and a bunch of goons were posting in it and now years later there's a thread that doesn't say that but a bunch of goons are still oddly posting in it

:ssh: It's the same thread

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ArtIsResistance posted:

tbh I think that was more goons underestimating how long it takes NCSoft to put a bullet in a game's head.

Also they're paying youtubers to do videos for wildstar now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP5opAb7k6w

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

ArtIsResistance posted:

It hasn't been a year yet the dream is still alive. Where is this "years later" coming from? I don't get what your laughing at it's not like this game has proven any naysayers wrong.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

LordSaturn posted:

They continue to have some comically bad problems with unfinishable costume sets.

Actually, this was and is "You get to pick three colors for your entire costume, with separate colors for eyes, hair, and skin." This includes stuff like metallic details, so you have to save a slot to be White Chrome or Pale Gold or whatever. This leaves you two colors for your actual outfit. It sucks.

I haven't played since not long after launch. I hit cap pretty quickly, since I was really enjoying myself, but then I ran into the "not much to do", and put it down, waiting for some content. Before I found my way back, it had went F2P, and gone in a dumb direction.

I never had a problem completing a set, because I was using pieces from a few different ones to make a unique costume. It worked out really well, and I thought it looked cool. DCUO didn't live up to my hopes, and that's why I don't play it anymore, but it had way more promise at the beginning.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The active population is in the high hundreds even after a new platform launch, there is no ETA on new content that isn't just existing models rearranged or recolored, and the studio has lost something like 70% of its employees in the past few months. Even if it's not shut down, the game is dead

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

They should pull a U2, and gift it to everyone with a steam account.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
vote wildstar best mmo of 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/4ph3tk/vote_for_best_mmorpg_of_2016/
http://www.mmogames.com/topmmos/best-mmorpg-2016-far/

I see the entire playerbase has turned out to vote

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

They manipulated some votes if you ask me.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

What the hell is ASTA

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

mike12345 posted:

What the hell is ASTA

Bad Korean WoW clone. Eve players (reddit i guess?) inflated its votes after Eve was disqualified.

Ponuh
Nov 8, 2006

No tricks, Mr. President. In a few moments I will release a wave of psychic energy designed to dominate the whole planet. There will be no more 'free will'.
can we loop back around an explain why this game has so much goonhate? Is it just the obnoxious sense of humor (ex. unironically calling many things "badass"). It feels painfully normal in every way, but also like the developers tried hard to revise some MMO mechanics that were boring/un-fun. This is usually something people here respond positively to, so what exactly makes this so offensively bad? or is it simply because it failed?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Ponuh posted:

can we loop back around an explain why this game has so much goonhate? Is it just the obnoxious sense of humor (ex. unironically calling many things "badass"). It feels painfully normal in every way, but also like the developers tried hard to revise some MMO mechanics that were boring/un-fun. This is usually something people here respond positively to, so what exactly makes this so offensively bad? or is it simply because it failed?

Consider goons and MMOs

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think you misspelled 'revive'.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Ponuh posted:

There aren't any players to look down on.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Ponuh posted:

They didn't try to revise anything; they were explicitly trying to be 'hardcore' and have raiding similar to Vanilla WoW. You had massive attunement quests, you had raid fights that were literally 'don't stand in any of the poo poo that keeps spawning on the floor,' interrupt armor that was on EVERYTHING rather than just trash and trash with 'wipe the group' spells that had to be interrupted and required too much timing on using those skills, and a dev team who were just rude and elitist towards their playerbase.

One of the devs posted this after a raiding guild beat the raid he had worked on, I think after they had tweaked the raid down to beatable levels:

There was also a situation where you could be bugged in that long rear end attunement process and lose all of your progress and be unable to finish, and the dev response was 'welp just reroll.'

Wildstar's team just hosed up a LOT and the game was incredibly mediocre; even now it's not a HORRIBLE MMO but it doesn't do a lot to stick out in the sea of free MMOs out there.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

John Dyne posted:

One of the devs posted this after a raiding guild beat the raid he had worked on, I think after they had tweaked the raid down to beatable levels:

Tweaked down after months of ghosting guilds as they attempted the raid and making the raid boss stronger and changing its mechanics after any guild managed to beat it.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

John Dyne posted:

They didn't try to revise anything; they were explicitly trying to be 'hardcore' and have raiding similar to Vanilla WoW. You had massive attunement quests, you had raid fights that were literally 'don't stand in any of the poo poo that keeps spawning on the floor,' interrupt armor that was on EVERYTHING rather than just trash and trash with 'wipe the group' spells that had to be interrupted and required too much timing on using those skills, and a dev team who were just rude and elitist towards their playerbase.

And if you criticized any of this poo poo and said it was insane in the year of our Lord and Saviour 2013, you'd have been shouted down by many a goon in the beta threads :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Ponuh posted:

What is this boring/un-fun stuff that "people here respond positively to?"

• Locked thread