Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

What are some of your favorite patient drum fills like in Second Chance by Shinedown here at 2:50, or here at 1:20 in Holding On To You by Twenty One Pilots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

iMonarch posted:

If your snare is triggered you wouldn't necessarily need to play loud unless you set your parameters to be realistic of an acoustic snare. Otherwise untriggered you should be playing with conviction. Derek Roddy made a point about blast beats being at the top of an ascending level of bombast, really what's the point of blast beats if they aren't going to be heard.

Ok cool, I think I have them set to be semi realistic. From about 4:15 on this the recent song is what I was asking about but ended up doing what you suggested and have them play forcefully but not literally as hard as possible. I don't play drums but I program them for dumb demos I make so I like to at least attempt to make them sound like a real person is doing them, even though it's insanely obvious when I do dumb poo poo like forget that some cymbals aren't next to each other in the stereo mix.

iMonarch posted:

I made a Goon-inspired blast beat, I hope you all enjoy <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejujshOC8OI

LOL

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hey guys, I recently managed to snag a Roland TD-9SX and I'm wondering if it's possible to add different kits to the brain? Or even connect the unit to my computer and play through some software to get different sounds? I know nothing about drums or electric drums so I'm probably asking the obvious, but I have no clue where to look or what's a good product.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Hey guys, I recently managed to snag a Roland TD-9SX and I'm wondering if it's possible to add different kits to the brain? Or even connect the unit to my computer and play through some software to get different sounds? I know nothing about drums or electric drums so I'm probably asking the obvious, but I have no clue where to look or what's a good product.

You can't upload new sounds to the TD-9 brain but the samples that are there can be heavily modified with the internal effects to sound fairly different, there's a company called V-Expressions that sell packs of modified kits to suit most Roland models. I bought the toolbox and I think one other pack for my TD-9 and they sound pretty good, better in some ways than the stock sounds but I think both have their place in the unit.

There's also the V2 firmware upgrade for the TD-9 that allows MP3 playback, adds some more backing tracks and modifies a bunch of the factory kits, much better than the V1 kits in my opinion. Here's a link to the V2 upgrade if yours isn't there already

Connecting to a computer is easy enough, you can use either the midi out port or midi over USB to connect to the computer and into something like addictive drums or superior drummer and have as many sounds as you like. Have to be conscious of latency when doing this though, even a 50ms delay can really throw off your timing when the sounds are coming a split second after the stick hits. It can also be difficult to get the hat pedal to work correctly in this setup, I haven't tried if for a couple of years now but I wasn't able to get the hat close to work, it would play open or closed fine but I couldn't close and open cymbal while it was playing, might just be a limitation of the hardware.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Anyone have any recommendations for a good set of 3/4 time drum loops to buy? I'm looking for a sad slow piano song that is 93bpm. I'm not having any luck finding slow interesting 3/4 drum loops.

Looperman would be really cool if you could search by time signature. Everything is in 4/4.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomCheese posted:

You can't upload new sounds to the TD-9 brain but the samples that are there can be heavily modified with the internal effects to sound fairly different, there's a company called V-Expressions that sell packs of modified kits to suit most Roland models. I bought the toolbox and I think one other pack for my TD-9 and they sound pretty good, better in some ways than the stock sounds but I think both have their place in the unit.

There's also the V2 firmware upgrade for the TD-9 that allows MP3 playback, adds some more backing tracks and modifies a bunch of the factory kits, much better than the V1 kits in my opinion. Here's a link to the V2 upgrade if yours isn't there already

Connecting to a computer is easy enough, you can use either the midi out port or midi over USB to connect to the computer and into something like addictive drums or superior drummer and have as many sounds as you like. Have to be conscious of latency when doing this though, even a 50ms delay can really throw off your timing when the sounds are coming a split second after the stick hits. It can also be difficult to get the hat pedal to work correctly in this setup, I haven't tried if for a couple of years now but I wasn't able to get the hat close to work, it would play open or closed fine but I couldn't close and open cymbal while it was playing, might just be a limitation of the hardware.

Thanks for the info man, I'll look into those programs. How do I go about upgrading the firmware on the brain?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while since I did it, found these instructions somewhere online:

somewehere online posted:

UPDATE

FORMAT YOUR USB KEY FAT32
COPY ALL FILES IN TD9 DIRECTORY TO ROOT ON YOUR USB KEY
TURN ON TD9 WHILE PRESSING MUTE AND SETUP BUTTON
PRESS SONG FOLLOWED BY F2 FOR START UPDATE
WHEN DISPLAY "UPDATE COMPLETE" IT IS FINISHED
POWER OFF

LEAVE USB STICK IN AND TURN TD9 BACK ON
DO A FACTORY RESET

FACTORY RESET

TURN ON TD9
SET UP
F3 (UTILITY)
F3 (RESET)
F3 (EXECUTE)
F3 (OK)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

When I try and turn the brain on while holding the Mute and Setup buttons it doesn't turn on.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just tried it on my TD9, held mute and setup with one hand, pressed power with the other and it booted up into the firmware section OK. It was second or two after pressing the power button that it sprang into life, maybe hold the power button down slightly longer?

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
I just played drums with Warrant in a 20,000 seat stadium and it was so cool and I'm still beyond hyped. My band broke up last year and I've been kinda unmotivated to get back into it since, but this has totally reinvigorated me. Never stop drummin' guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFOApbw-2Z8

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Did they just pull you up on stage for one song? That's pretty drat cool either way. I liked the bass player staring you down the whole song helping out his rhythm section bro :)

AARO posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good set of 3/4 time drum loops to buy? I'm looking for a sad slow piano song that is 93bpm. I'm not having any luck finding slow interesting 3/4 drum loops.

Looperman would be really cool if you could search by time signature. Everything is in 4/4.

This may not apply to what you're looking for, but for slow interesting drumming in general in 3/4 check out Tuesday's Gone. I transcribed that song to sheet music off the Rock Band chart but I haven't gotten around to actually learning it yet, it's a bit above my abilities atm.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 27, 2016

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Double Bass posted:

I just played drums with Warrant in a 20,000 seat stadium and it was so cool and I'm still beyond hyped. My band broke up last year and I've been kinda unmotivated to get back into it since, but this has totally reinvigorated me. Never stop drummin' guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFOApbw-2Z8

I don't really know or care about Warrant beyond that one song, but this is baller as gently caress, dude. Congrats!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomCheese posted:

Just tried it on my TD9, held mute and setup with one hand, pressed power with the other and it booted up into the firmware section OK. It was second or two after pressing the power button that it sprang into life, maybe hold the power button down slightly longer?

Just gave it a shot, held Mute and Set-up and then held the Power button for at least 20 seconds. Never turned on.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just gave it a shot, held Mute and Set-up and then held the Power button for at least 20 seconds. Never turned on.

I'm out of ideas, had a trawl around the vdrums forums but couldn't find anyone else with similar issues. Only thing I can think of is either the mute or setup button being faulty, or the rubber button caps being installed in incorrect positions so mute is actually song or whatever.
It's possible the brain is already at V2, easiest way to check is if your kits only go up to 50 it's V1 and if it's 99 then V2. Should still go into that upgrade mode though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomCheese posted:

I'm out of ideas, had a trawl around the vdrums forums but couldn't find anyone else with similar issues. Only thing I can think of is either the mute or setup button being faulty, or the rubber button caps being installed in incorrect positions so mute is actually song or whatever.
It's possible the brain is already at V2, easiest way to check is if your kits only go up to 50 it's V1 and if it's 99 then V2. Should still go into that upgrade mode though.

Seems like I have V1, I only have 50 kits, Mute and Song function properly when the kit is on so I'm at a loss. Maybe I dumped the files on the USB incorrectly and it fails to boot if that's the case. I'll try that.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I tried mine without the USB key inserted and yeah it doesn't power on at all with those buttons held. My USB drive is formatted as FAT32 and labelled as ROLAND, I can't remember if I used the TD9 or a computer to format the drive initially.
It's only 4gb as well, not sure if the brain has issues seeing large capacity USB. Does your drive read fine when playing back WAV files or backing up the settings?

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 2, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandomCheese posted:

I tried mine without the USB key inserted and yeah it doesn't power on at all with those buttons held. My USB drive is formatted as FAT32 and labelled as ROLAND, I can't remember if I used the TD9 or a computer to format the drive initially.
It's only 4gb as well, not sure if the brain has issues seeing large capacity USB. Does your drive read fine when playing back WAV files or backing up the settings?

The drive is FAT32, but it's 32GB, might be too big? But it does read when it's plugged into the kit itself and I have the ability to format it. I've even formatted the stick on the drums, extracted the stuff onto the stick via computer and then tried booting: nothing. I'm kinda giving up at this point. :smith:

What monitor/headphones would you recommend? And is getting those V Expression kits on the Brain easy?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have a vague memory of the unit needing a smaller drive, if you can track down a smaller key it'd be well worth a shot.

Vexpressions are much easier, just restoring from a backup file on the usb, but make sure to back up the current kits otherwise you'll lose any setting changes you've made.

I used a big set of audio technica AT-900 over ear headphones for a while, they work well enough but you can always hear the thwack of the pads alongside the kit sounds, same with any speaker setup if you don't have it loud enough. For a while I used a set of logitech 2.1 computer speakers and it was pretty good but the thwack was still present.
Now I use a set of DIY custom-molded in-ear headphones, I can stand next to an acoustic drumkit at full tilt while wearing these unplugged and it's very comfortable, they are awesome at blocking external sound so the thwacks don't stand a chance and I just hear the kit as intended. A set of in ear headphones with a set of drum cans over the top does a similar job.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Listening to the new radiohead album I realized that even their worst songs ever are better than the best songs I've released and that bummed me out a bit. I'm probably never going to "make it" in music. Here's a link to my most recent song. The first song I've recorded since AMSP. Somebody in GBS said "Nice Radiohead cover OP." As if they are the only band on earth who is allowed to make that style of music. Think of all the bands that exist that influence eachother and sound like eachother. Especially older stuff like 60s music there used to be tons of bands that sounded almost identical on certain tracks.

I guess what I'm saying is, can't I release songs that "sound like Radiohead" without that being some kind of bad thing? And if they really do sound like them, why doesn't anyone give a poo poo about them? Seriously I've only had 1 person buy my music and write to me telling me they love it. Everyone else just listens to it and says "Meh".

I guess I just really wish I could write a song that other people love as much as I do. But so far I haven't been able to do that. I think a big problem is I need a talented drummer to work with. The drums I make myself with machines are boring poo poo. They make the songs sound boring. I wish I could work with someone who could come up with incredible syncopated beats that would just make the songs excellent. Drummers are the most underrated part of bands. I can play every other instrument but without a good drummer I'm just not able to ever get the sound that I'm looking for.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Goons can be jerks. You're doing fine, you just need to work at it more. Tighten up your recordings. Find something novel. Figure out new ways to work within your constraints. Look critically at your own work and think about how to improve it. Etc etc, practice etc. Nobody becomes Radiohead overnight.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

AARO posted:

Listening to the new radiohead album I realized that even their worst songs ever are better than the best songs I've released and that bummed me out a bit. I'm probably never going to "make it" in music. Here's a link to my most recent song. The first song I've recorded since AMSP. Somebody in GBS said "Nice Radiohead cover OP." As if they are the only band on earth who is allowed to make that style of music. Think of all the bands that exist that influence eachother and sound like eachother. Especially older stuff like 60s music there used to be tons of bands that sounded almost identical on certain tracks.

I guess what I'm saying is, can't I release songs that "sound like Radiohead" without that being some kind of bad thing? And if they really do sound like them, why doesn't anyone give a poo poo about them? Seriously I've only had 1 person buy my music and write to me telling me they love it. Everyone else just listens to it and says "Meh".

I guess I just really wish I could write a song that other people love as much as I do. But so far I haven't been able to do that. I think a big problem is I need a talented drummer to work with. The drums I make myself with machines are boring poo poo. They make the songs sound boring. I wish I could work with someone who could come up with incredible syncopated beats that would just make the songs excellent. Drummers are the most underrated part of bands. I can play every other instrument but without a good drummer I'm just not able to ever get the sound that I'm looking for.

Radiohead worked for 7 years before having anything released to the public, they've also worked together for 31 years now. They're also a few people together, who all can chip in and help produce the tracks they've written. Being a solo artist, and literally being just that, one artist making everything means spending a LOT of time figuring out what works, and what doesn't. That means it takes even longer time for you to churn out stuff, whereas Radiohead has 5 individuals and a team of producers, engineers and other people chipping in and perfecting their art.

Making it takes persistent work and a LOT of songs, like, hundreds of songs, all of which will probably never ever see the light of day.

Writing music that isn't mainstream or close to mainstream means it'll be harder to make it, how much are you promoting yourself? Being able to connect with people in the business and really making a concentrated effort to sell your product (your music) is an art that few people master.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vino posted:

Goons can be jerks. You're doing fine, you just need to work at it more. Tighten up your recordings. Find something novel. Figure out new ways to work within your constraints. Look critically at your own work and think about how to improve it. Etc etc, practice etc. Nobody becomes Radiohead overnight.

Yeah no poo poo dude, don't go to GBS and expect people to be helpful or anything but virulently hostile.

AARO posted:

So here's the thing: don't loving aim to make it in music. If you're already expecting from day one to eventually sell out then you're not in the right mindset. Sure it'd be totally awesome if we could all make a living from music but the sad reality is that's never going to happen. Sorry dude. I don't want to piss in your cheerios but you should really think of music as a hobby and not something you "make it" in nowadays. Particularly with anything even remotely indie, let alone a rehash of a band and style that's already been copied and rehashed before that specific band was even formed. It's not necessarily a bad thing that you're making and releasing the music you make, but it is necessarily a bad thing that you're aiming to make it with that kind of stuff. Music should be for fun, and if playing and making the music you do is fun, keep it up. Don't necessarily expect everyone to like exactly what you like. For example, I love early 90s melodeath/black metal and traditional death metal (also entombedcore poo poo but I don't feel like putting in more youtube links you're going to click and hear five seconds of before closing the window) but do you like those things? I doubt it, not many people do as it's a kinda niche style that's already been done ages ago. Do you think I'm going to make it playing that kind of music? No, because it's stupid and I just do it for fun. Take the same nihilistic mindset and stop giving a poo poo what random hooting fucktards in GBS think and be the best you can be in what you do.

I'm likely going to get lynched for this notion but you can make realistic drums using a machine, it just takes practice and an application of knowledge. The song you linked doesn't sound like you can easily tell the drums are programmed, but take it from someone who's striving to get authenticity to programmed drums: think like a human. Humans make mistakes, humans gently caress up, humans can't do blast beats at 240bpm for five minutes straight, humans will accidentally get distracted and mistime certain hits. Watch a shitload of videos on youtube of people playing drums and pay attention. Learn from observation.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
As a fellow 90s metalhead I was all set to critique your youtube samples but Storm of Light's Bane? loving solid man :)

As for writing your own stuff, probably the best thing to do is talk (as in in-person) to other musicians. People are much less likely to nihilistically poo poo on your face offline. Find a local band of which you like the rhythm section and buy them a beer and ask them how they write their poo poo. Don't try and re-invent the wheel for every instrument, learn from people who are already better than you.

eeeeeeeeedit:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695074583
:drum: + :shepface:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 11, 2016

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

AARO posted:

I think a big problem is I need a talented drummer to work with. The drums I make myself with machines are boring poo poo. They make the songs sound boring. I wish I could work with someone who could come up with incredible syncopated beats that would just make the songs excellent. Drummers are the most underrated part of bands. I can play every other instrument but without a good drummer I'm just not able to ever get the sound that I'm looking for.

Here are your options in no particular order:
• Find a talented drummer
• Learn how to play drums yourself
• Write in a genre that either doesn't feature drums or focuses on synthetic drums

I also recommend avoiding the phrase "making it" when it comes to the music business. There is a massive difference between writing music that you personally enjoy and writing music with the intent of building a career. Bridging that distance is possible (bands like Radiohead prove it), but it requires years of constant touring, public relations, consistent quality/quantity of compositions, and hard work.

Despite the decades of work that Radiohead has put in and all of the acclaim for their albums, the group is known by large portions of the general public as the grunge band who plays the song about being a creep. If making money in the music business is a sincere long-term goal, you should focus on fundamental pop music structure and genre conventions. Music is a craft. Some people appreciate truly unique creations, but the vast majority just want a new version of the established formula.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
this guy's YouTube channel includes him paying a few popular songs as if Lars Ulrich had recorded them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GAK39PHFAk

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My instructor said Lars's trademark was hitting the snare with crash instead of the more common bass. I guess I never really noticed before but once you actually look for it holy poo poo :lol:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Bonzo posted:

this guy's YouTube channel includes him paying a few popular songs as if Lars Ulrich had recorded them.

He's got the face down pat, that's for sure!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Takes No Damage posted:

My instructor said Lars's trademark was hitting the snare with crash instead of the more common bass. I guess I never really noticed before but once you actually look for it holy poo poo :lol:

Did he teach himself how to play drums?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bonzo posted:

Takes No Damage posted:

Hahaha I'll be damned I've never noticed that before but it's spot on. I do, however, almost feel sorry for this guy - if he's not careful he's going to get stuck playing like that. :v:

"gently caress, I ulrich'd myself again!"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did he teach himself how to play drums?

I've always heard people hating on his drumming but Metallica was my favorite band in HS so I just ignored that bullshit! In 'tallica lore he was supposed to be really lovely the first time he and James met through a magazine classified. I think his cymbals kept falling over whenever he hit them...

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm about to take baby's first steps into this world and pick up a pad and Stick Control. Is there a stick weight that would be considered the best starter's choice or am I already overthinking this?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

I'm about to take baby's first steps into this world and pick up a pad and Stick Control. Is there a stick weight that would be considered the best starter's choice or am I already overthinking this?

5A, and yes you're overthinking it. Pick up a few and see what feels good. There might be a few that do!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Will do, thanks!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Try to stay away from matched pairs. I prefer when music stores put all the sticks in a bin, sorted by weight, and let you pick your own. It sounds silly but as you start playing it will be obvious that one stick is slightly lighter than the other. You can also tap them on a surface and hear the difference.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Bonzo posted:

You can also tap them on a surface and hear the difference.

I've always done this too, seconding this advice. Get on the ground with a bundle of them and start dropping them onto the carpet from about a foot up, repeat until you have two that seem to make the same pitched sound. Then make sure they both feel the same by playing around with them a bit

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Bonzo posted:

You can also tap them on a surface and hear the difference.

I have fond many memories of highschool marching band, going to the local drum shop, and taking half an hour to spergily tap each pair of ralph hardimons in the store against each other until i found two or three pairs that were roughly matched. And then doing it again a month and a half later later because high tension kevlar snare drums are one of the dumbest ideas we've had as a species, no matter how much I have repressed my love for them.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried a few different types and seem to have settled on Vic Firth Signature: Steve Jordan. I was looking for something pretty long but not too thick or heavy and they seem to split the balance nicely. They are pretty soft though, once you get metal cymbals they'll look like you've been chewing on them after a week of practice.

In any sticks you buy, inspect the wood grain. Especially mind the bead of the stick, once I knocked a little block off the tip of one of my sticks and didn't notice it until I'd already scarred the hell out of my floor tom head, now it's only mostly coated :downs:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

For me it just comes down to wood type and nylon/wood tip. I find that hickory tends to splinter and get "chewed up" after heavy use while oak will just straight up crack. They both wear down similarly but I like the feel of oak the most. Size and tip is all about personal preference. If you're a hard hitter, you don't need 2Bs or even 5Bs. Try something a little lighter to compensate for your heavy hitting until you learn more control. For years, I played with 5B nylon tip and I wondered why I was cracking cymbals. That wasn't a good stick for a hard hitter like myself. I also learned how not to try to kill the cymbal on every hit. I've settled on 5A Oak Regular tip over the years.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks for all the input guys, I grabbed some Vic Firth 5As and I now look forward to annoying the hell out of my wife with my off-tempo caveman bashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Springfield Fatts posted:

Thanks for all the input guys, I grabbed some Vic Firth 5As and I now look forward to annoying the hell out of my wife with my off-tempo caveman bashing.

See if you can find a moon-gel practice pad, removes almost all of the stick noise (and also the rebound to it makes your wrists work more), I can do rudiments on the couch right next to my wife and she doesn't care.
Alternately, glue a block of foam (the couch cushion type) to somewhere on your existing pad for a similar benefit. I like having multiple surfaces to practice on, prevents you getting too used too the rebound of your pad (pad hands are A Thing), and having a low bounce surface prepares you for diddles and doubles on the larger toms.