Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm placing my bets on harem ending being the actual promise.

On a side note, I never followed the manga, and fell off the anime some time during S2, and have just been reading this thread including spoilers. Reading that chapter now, it feels like nothing was lost. Almost nothing of significance happened. Yeeeeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
What are the chances that Komi's next manga will be a battle manga? Double Arts was p.good, it'd be cool if we got something like that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Ah, yes. Akamatsu's Gambit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

What are the chances that Komi's next manga will be a battle manga? Double Arts was p.good, it'd be cool if we got something like that.

You mean this whole thing hasn't been a Springtime For Hitler gambit?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They have at least another 4 more chapters to go. This poo poo is so by the numbers that they probably want it to end so that 24 out of the 25 volumes have 9 chapters each.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The funniest thing about this manga is how little dramatic tension it can drum up in what is obviously the grand finale. It's cried wolf so many times and spent so long in this period of denouement that everyone is just ready for it to be over, and has been for a while, and yet at the same time no one can trust that it will actually do so.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shere posted:

The funniest thing about this manga is how little dramatic tension it can drum up in what is obviously the grand finale. It's cried wolf so many times and spent so long in this period of denouement that everyone is just ready for it to be over, and has been for a while, and yet at the same time no one can trust that it will actually do so.

This is the face Komi (and probably his editor as well, who as mentioned before, is the same dude that used to edit Gintama) is making right now.

That cute, yet annoying face.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Well, here's your potato quality answer to the promise girl's identity: http://mangafast.online/manga/nisekoi/221/1

It's Onodera. The funny part is that it almost assuredly means he's gonna pick Chitoge.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, here's your potato quality answer to the promise girl's identity: http://mangafast.online/manga/nisekoi/221/1

It's Onodera. The funny part is that it almost assuredly means he's gonna pick Chitoge.

Consider it a consolation prize, shippers. :smith:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kosaki was terrible even as a child, what a surprise.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'll accept all the chosen girl handwringing if he ends up not picking her in the end.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Super Jay Mann posted:

Kosaki was terrible even as a child, what a surprise.

And Raku was a spineless wimp. Though in his defense, he's, like, 5.

I see they conveniently left out the part where rocks fell on everybody's head ten seconds later, causing them to forget all this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ethiser posted:

I'll accept all the chosen girl handwringing if he ends up not picking her in the end.

Kosaki had every chance in the goddamn world and everything rolled her way constantly and she still hosed it up repeatedly. She's eating this L on a platter and she has it coming. She can't even hold a goddamn conversation with the guy.

She legit probably needs to see a therapist for her inability to follow-through.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I still don't get what the overall purpose of Yui was, story-wise.

Oh no, here is yet another girl who has the hots for Raku! Whatever shall Our Hero do? ...Oh, nevermind, it's resolved and she's pushed out of the running in the space of three chapters from her introduction.

You could argue she works towards providing exposition re: the book and the locket, but then again you could have any other character serve that purpose.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mikl posted:

Oh no, here is yet another girl who has the hots for Raku! Whatever shall Our Hero do? ...Oh, nevermind, it's resolved and she's pushed out of the running in the space of three chapters from her introduction.

You could argue she works towards providing exposition re: the book and the locket, but then again you could have any other character serve that purpose.

I think the idea was that she had some kind of secret knowledge about the Promise Girl MacGuffin Plot. She ended up not knowing poo poo and Chitoge resolved the entire Promise Girl plot on her own.

But its the same kind of thing if Raku chose Onodera: the plot would literally be meaningless. She hasn't developed as a character at all, and if he picked her, he would have undid any character development he got and none of the series' events would be relevant to anything other than the MacGuffin plot pointing to a girl he already liked.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

People seem to hate her here for some reason, but she's had development. Not a ton, but a reasonable amount for anime standards. She became less shy in this year, and without knowing she had competition she didn't really have any reason to try to hurry.

Thematically its probably the main girl but it's not like there haven't been a ton of scenes about the relationship between the other two.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Why am I supposed to believe everyone somehow forgot all this poo poo again

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Maybe Yui will explain why half of them forgot but half remember it perfectly.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Because they're idiots. Lovable, true, but idiots nonetheless.

gently caress, Raku, why couldn't you propose to Momdera, the best *dera there is?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Skychrono posted:

People seem to hate her here for some reason, but she's had development. Not a ton, but a reasonable amount for anime standards. She became less shy in this year, and without knowing she had competition she didn't really have any reason to try to hurry.

Thematically its probably the main girl but it's not like there haven't been a ton of scenes about the relationship between the other two.

Onodera tells Raku to his face he's a chick magnet very early into the manga. She knew she had competition, its just that anyone other than the main cast is completely out of focus.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Mikl posted:

She was the herald of the end. Soon after she showed up came the endless waves of cast trimming.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

The idea behind Yui, at least, was to introduce a girl who was seriously going after Raku (as opposed to Marika, whose pursuit had been becoming more and more of a comedy thing) and spur Onodera and Chitoge into actually doing things actively.

This failed, of course, because the two continued to sit around and not make any progress at all.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So it seems like there's a new editor for Nisekoi, which apparently means it isn't ending any time soon.

I'm actually laughing right now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

So it seems like there's a new editor for Nisekoi, which apparently means it isn't ending any time soon.

Wh

What

How

No seriously JFC how? All the plot threads have been resolved, all that's left is for Raku to make his choice. I know fully well they're gonna milk this for all it's worth but that can't take more than a handful of chapters can it now? :psyduck:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe he'll make his choice and then we get hijinks with them as a real couple? Something that never happens?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe he'll make his choice and then we get hijinks with them as a real couple? Something that never happens?

For some reason, I honestly can't see this manga pulling off this type of shift. The thing is that we've already had the "awkward date" chapters with both of the remaining girls, with Chitoge being close enough to Raku that they might as well be dating anyway. Unless they start turning to a full-on gag manga with incidental romance like JWWW, I can't imagine mining these characters for much more than they've already given.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'll accept this so long as we get to see more yakuza faces.

Dr. Cuddles
Jul 18, 2010
i eagerly await our protagonist to develop amnesia so we can have 200 more chapters of nisekoi

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Super Jay Mann posted:

Oh, come the gently caress on!

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Nisekoi will pull an Akamatsu and become the Shonen battle / mahou shoujo manga that we all wished it could be.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I still think it's ending, just because other than the story setting up the end here, it has all the other signs of a series ending too since whenever a series is ending, Jump pushes it down in the rankings, and Nisekoi has been dead last for a while now too. So unless it's gonna become one of those eternal series like Kochikame or Bleach, I think it's ending. Just curious for anyone who's reading Toriko, is Toriko in its ending stages, or did it just have a bad couple of weeks? It's been trailing too.

Teix
Nov 5, 2009

You want to touch me?
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nise-Koi/Chapter-222?id=276914

Let's stretch this out.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

SpacePig posted:

For some reason, I honestly can't see this manga pulling off this type of shift. The thing is that we've already had the "awkward date" chapters with both of the remaining girls, with Chitoge being close enough to Raku that they might as well be dating anyway. Unless they start turning to a full-on gag manga with incidental romance like JWWW, I can't imagine mining these characters for much more than they've already given.

The quality of dumb facial expressions in this manga is pretty high even if it's not JWWW level so this wouldn't really be a bad idea imo

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I enjoyed that duel

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Allarion posted:

I still think it's ending, just because other than the story setting up the end here, it has all the other signs of a series ending too since whenever a series is ending, Jump pushes it down in the rankings, and Nisekoi has been dead last for a while now too. So unless it's gonna become one of those eternal series like Kochikame or Bleach, I think it's ending. Just curious for anyone who's reading Toriko, is Toriko in its ending stages, or did it just have a bad couple of weeks? It's been trailing too.

I used to somehow find it funny when people suggested that Bleach will never end, but taking a quick look at where the story currently is, I'm almost sure they decided to change the "Thousand Year Blood War" title of the supposedly last arc in fear that Kubo was going to take that poo poo to the bitter, literal end. My theory is that if they intend to milk Nisekoi for all that's worth, go the To Love-Ru route and just put it in a different magazine. If they decide to make Nisekoi the less risque version of To Love-Ru (meaning :regd08: the manga: Electric Boogaloo), here's hoping the goofy faces remain a staple. At this point it's all that's keeping my interest.

Alternatively, maybe Komi is trying to get Double Arts uncancelled?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There's a new chapter out there on the interwebs. Some place called "mangafast" got the chapter done first. While I can't say one way or another how accurate the translation is, there are some stunning revelations in the latest chapter.

Mind blowing stuff you couldn't have seen coming. My face right now:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Great chapter, great faces!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Chapter was amazing

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
These. Faces. Holy. poo poo.

Also, Ruri still might be my favorite over all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was the best. Goddammit, now I'm back in the train.

• Locked thread