Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

EvanTH posted:

I don't see how that comparison works at all

They're both ball-dominant undersized shoot-first 2s with some playmaking ability who take tons of terrible shots :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought Dipo was like a poor man's Westbrook that played off the ball more but I guess that's too many qualifiers and also I've seen him play like three times at most as a professional.

The Bulls are gonna be depressing but I'm excited to have Denzel Valentine in my backyard. Also looking forward to paying upwards of $15 to see another Bucks game because Thon and Gianni's sounds like a silly time.

Also I thought you guys were exaggerating Deyonta Davis' fall because total dejection is his resting facial expression, but apparently he cried :( . At least he's going to a cool team. Still should've stayed another year and got himself into the lottery but I don't know what his family situation is like. Muskegon is not a great place.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 24, 2016

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Dipo makes me nervous every time I watch him because he does that small player high dribble thing and his face looks like it's in a fuckin panic. He does all sorts of jumps and moves to make me cheer but man he can be a bonehead

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Cool Buff Man posted:

Dipo makes me nervous every time I watch him because he does that small player high dribble thing and his face looks like it's in a fuckin panic. He does all sorts of jumps and moves to make me cheer but man he can be a bonehead

he'll fit right in.

I've already said it once, but I've got even odds on Westbrook using physical violence against Ilyasova at some point.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

They're both ball-dominant undersized shoot-first 2s with some playmaking ability who take tons of terrible shots :shrug:

There's tons of dudes who do that! You could've picked somebody who isn't forever famous for comparing themselves to Dwyane Wade you're a dang troll dokmo :mad: I Will Not Be Trolled

also that one time Dejan compared Monta on defense to a forlorn ghost trapped in the spirit world who had to focus all his energy to make momentary contact with a living human being lol

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Carlisle truly was the Monta whisperer. Ever since Monta broke off the Ellis-Isle connection and emigrated elsewhere he's been ruining the nights of innocent pacers fans

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm apparently much lower on Serge than a ton of people here, but I love that trade for the Thunder.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

look at how loving chill kanter's face is in this pic

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
mmmmmmmm bitch i feel goooooood
\

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm apparently much lower on Serge than a ton of people here, but I love that trade for the Thunder.

I think most people are fans of the trade for OKC.

Meanwhile I'm still upset at the Wolves pick

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Ibaka trade is bad in the short term when you're a title contender, because Ibaka was a big reason why the Spurs and Warriors series were in their advantage.

If Durant either leaves or signs a long deal, decent trade. If he takes a 1+1 deal like Lebron, bad deal.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I'll tell you all one thing: Serge is handsome and all those guys we got for him aren't. Questionable trade on the basis of that dimension alone.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

IcePhoenix posted:

Are you worried about Minny trading Rubio? Because it seems like Rubio/Lavine/Dunn is a pretty good backcourt rotation for the future.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 24, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Terry Glenn posted:

I'll tell you all one thing: Serge is handsome and all those guys we got for him aren't. Questionable trade on the basis of that dimension alone.

Can't argue there, Olidipo is straight busted looking.

IcePhoenix posted:

Why?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Since when is having two players who can score in the post and rebound well a bad thing? :psyduck:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Are you worried about Minny trading Rubio? Because it seems like Rubio/Lavine/Dunn is a pretty good backcourt rotation for the future.

Dunn can't shoot, playing him and Rubio together would be a mistake, regardless of the coach/gm-speak we're getting from Thibs. The Wolves needed a shooter and they took the one guard in the top 15 that can't shoot. Rubio/LaVine/Hield or Rubio/Lavine/Murray would have been a way better three-headed monster because both non-Rubio guards can take advantage of the looks he finds for them.

Also yes I don't want them to trade Rubio because I want to see what happens when he's given a team that plays to all of his strengths.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Remember this?

In retrospect it's pretty clear Ainge saw The Video and smugly realized that no other GMs knew that Brown + a haircut had unlimited upside.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
with their first picks of the NBA draft houston picks Some chinese dude and a man with China in his first name and the entire Karate Kid Movie sequel with Bill Smith's son

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Paul Zuvella posted:

No, I'm right there with you.

Terry Glenn posted:

Valid point though.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

IcePhoenix posted:

Dunn can't shoot, playing him and Rubio together would be a mistake, regardless of the coach/gm-speak we're getting from Thibs. The Wolves needed a shooter and they took the one guard in the top 15 that can't shoot. Rubio/LaVine/Hield or Rubio/Lavine/Murray would have been a way better three-headed monster because both non-Rubio guards can take advantage of the looks he finds for them.

Also yes I don't want them to trade Rubio because I want to see what happens when he's given a team that plays to all of his strengths.

I agree with this. I'm shocked they didn't take Buddy Hield. I assumed when they took Dunn they were immediately looking to trade him.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Guy on ESPN just said "hoa-keem Noah"

I wonder if he likes geeeeee eye rose

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

The Ibaka trade is bad in the short term when you're a title contender, because Ibaka was a big reason why the Spurs and Warriors series were in their advantage.

If Durant either leaves or signs a long deal, decent trade. If he takes a 1+1 deal like Lebron, bad deal.

They traded away part of what got them into and kept them in the WCF (a core part of their big lineup) to improve in what eventually lost them the WCF (lack of depth, Dion Waiters being their only bench guard). I guess we'll see what other WC contenders do next season, but so far OKC still has a better big lineup than most of them. They're still an insanely good team next season.

Do you think Serge will go back to being Good Serge next season?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Terry Glenn posted:

Gotta compare names too tho:

Sergeballu LaMu Sayonga Loom Walahas Jonas Hugo Ibaka

vs.

Kehinde Babatunde Victor Oladipo

Hmm, Serge still comes out ahead.

Is KD gonna love-hate his new little buddy Oladipo as much as he love-hated Waiters? That's an underrated metric.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metapod posted:

Since when is having two players who can score in the post and rebound well a bad thing? :psyduck:

It's not a bad thing, but not necessarily a great fit for an OKC team who only goes into the post once in a while as a change up from Durant and Westbrook. Maybe if Sabonis can hit the midrange in the NBA it'll be OK, though.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Ibaka may not have been quite as good last season as he was the year or two before, but he was still one of the best defensive rim protectors in the league, especially in the playoffs against OKC and SAS where he was great and was hitting threes at an amazing clip. I don't see how Sabonis coming in as a rookie can provide anywhere near equivalent value on the defensive end, and I don't think Oladipo offers you enough of an upgrade at sixth man to counter balance it. Obviously Victor and Sabonis are young and Ibaka may be on the downswing and is an upcoming FA so in the long term it could very well turn out to be a smart trade, but considering how close OKC were to a title this year it seems odd to me to make this move that in my eyes clearly makes them a worse team next year.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Ibaka may not have been quite as good last season as he was the year or two before, but he was still one of the best defensive rim protectors in the league, especially in the playoffs against OKC and SAS where he was great and was hitting threes at an amazing clip. I don't see how Sabonis coming in as a rookie can provide anywhere near equivalent value on the defensive end, and I don't think Oladipo offers you enough of an upgrade at sixth man to counter balance it. Obviously Victor and Sabonis are young and Ibaka may be on the downswing and is an upcoming FA so in the long term it could very well turn out to be a smart trade, but considering how close OKC were to a title this year it seems odd to me to make this move that in my eyes clearly makes them a worse team next year.

Oladipo should start for OKC. He's much better than Waiters or Roberson.

Not sure what they will do at the 4 though, if they will run Kanter/Adams together or one of those 2 + Ilyasova, or Sabonis somewhere in the mix (although probably definitely not starting as a rookie). They have a lot of lineups they can play with but yeah their post defense will probably rely a lot more on Adams.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Start Roberson at PF

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

tanglewood1420 posted:

Oladipo isn't a sixth man, he immediately bumps Waiters out of the starting lineup.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings All-Star DeMarcus Cousins told The Undefeated his draft night tweet had nothing to do with the draft. So what was it about? "A hot sculpting class," Cousins said jokingly.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
He did tweet it before the pick went out. So v:shobon:v

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Oladipo isn't a sixth man, he immediately bumps Waiters out of the starting lineup.

Do you mean Roberson? 'cause Waiters wasn't in the starting lineup and probably isn't going to be on the team next season.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How do you pronounce Dragan?

Please tell me what I want to hear...

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The Thunder gave up a good player for an average one. Sabonis and Ilysova will not be in their playoff rotation.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

TBeats posted:

How do you pronounce Dragan?

Please tell me what I want to hear...

the a's are silent

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
imo Roberson should still start because he's good.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
UK is shook, let's see how Brexit effects free agency

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I bitched but at least there will be more than 1 or 2 kings to watch in summer league like normal

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/lilbthebasedgod/status/746191699441922048

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

leftist heap posted:

imo Roberson should still start because he's good.

Agreed op

:smith: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHCydszhz5S/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

He was to Scott Skiles!!!

• Locked thread