Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Ross and Carrie wins the award for Most Smug Podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Farg posted:

Ross and Carrie wins the award for Most Smug Podcast

I gave it a few episodes but most of the runtime is their smug self-absorption and back-patting with the actual thing they investigated being almost a footnote in its own episode. It's like the polar opposite of Sawbones.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Ross and Carrie isn't smug, it's just they are nowhere near as funny as they think they are. If they just said what they experienced and ranked stuff from 1 to 10 and didn't come up with "hilarious" jokes like the metaphors for scary/money-grabbing/pseudo-scientific it would seriously be 100x better.

The Scientology stuff was legit interesting (in terms of what exactly stuff like auditing is) but ruined with "LOLOLOL SLIDE WHISTLE" poo poo

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Also what the gently caress is the deal with that Beefcast? Too much loving TWEE

I want to tell that guy that if it actually is a comedy podcast maybe tell a loving joke in the ad? :shrug:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

SoupyTwist posted:

I want to tell that guy that if it actually is a comedy podcast maybe tell a loving joke in the ad? :shrug:

The podcast is a parody. The ad itself is already part of the joke.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Scudworth posted:

The podcast is a parody. The ad itself is already part of the joke.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
guy mann hits it out of the park again

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

We're once again at the point where we complain about the ads for the other Max Fun podcasts and I just want to say I would listen to Throwing Shade again if they skipped the part where they talked about their boring, white, middle class lives and got straight to making fun of homophobes and misogynists.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

The radiolab spoof one SPY did was pretty great.

Oh is that what that was? I didn't get the parody but enjoyed it nonetheless.

Also (in a desperate attempt to change the subject) this week's Rose Buddies was great. In his first episode Chad sounded like a fairly entertaining yet harmless jerk, but holy moly based on the next two, dude seems like a total monster.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Roach Warehouse posted:

Oh is that what that was? I didn't get the parody but enjoyed it nonetheless.

Also (in a desperate attempt to change the subject) this week's Rose Buddies was great. In his first episode Chad sounded like a fairly entertaining yet harmless jerk, but holy moly based on the next two, dude seems like a total monster.

The producers use a lot of b-roll of him wandering around and whistling and it's actually legit terrifying in a Jaws-theme way when they do it. Like, the cliffhanger they talked about made it look like he walked back from the woods (that they had gotten to via helicopter) and lightly scratched at the house door.

He is a cold-cut-devouring monster but he also bought a bunch of the other guys' domains which is pretty hilarious.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I skip all ads because I am a monster. I've never even heard any of these.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I actually don't skip Max Fun ads because they're very short. It's almost not worth it to unlock my screen to skip them. I'd rather listen to Guy Branum and his hipster friends talk about themselves for 30 seconds than listen to Paul F Tompkins talk about mattresses for 5 minutes.

e: Also, the Money Zone/Jumbotron is basically the best way to handle podcast advertising, I think.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

defectivemonkey posted:

The producers use a lot of b-roll of him wandering around and whistling and it's actually legit terrifying in a Jaws-theme way when they do it. Like, the cliffhanger they talked about made it look like he walked back from the woods (that they had gotten to via helicopter) and lightly scratched at the house door.

He is a cold-cut-devouring monster but he also bought a bunch of the other guys' domains which is pretty hilarious.

The BiP ad they made with him is :perfect:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I listen to the moneyzone on the first listen through, but the jumbotron is such annoying bullshit that I can't handle it. I usually skip that and whatever maxfun ad they play after. They do their best to make the jumbotron appealing but I just can't

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Speaking of which, does anyone have that Coldplay poem? It was beautiful.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

myron cope posted:

I listen to the moneyzone on the first listen through, but the jumbotron is such annoying bullshit that I can't handle it. I usually skip that and whatever maxfun ad they play after. They do their best to make the jumbotron appealing but I just can't

Many daps to my doop dop and my jim jam. See you on the meow side! Love, snugglefart.

Cool 100 dollar purchase, man.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

myron cope posted:

But you can't just skip the MBMBaM jumbotron every time because every once in a blue moon you get something like the Myspace callout and it is so beautiful and perfect it makes up for every other boring one.

Except for the The Adventure Zone jumbotron. You can safely skip that one. The only thing more inscrutable than regular in-jokes are in-jokes based on DnD campaigns.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

But you can't just skip the MBMBaM jumbotron every time because every once in a blue moon you get something like the Myspace callout and it is so beautiful and perfect it makes up for every other boring one.

Except for the The Adventure Zone jumbotron. You can safely skip that one. The only thing more inscrutable than regular in-jokes are in-jokes based on DnD campaigns.

I actually heard that one, I guess maybe I skip if it sounds lame? I dunno. I don't usually listen.

And I don't listen to any moneyzone stuff for TAZ despite loving Griffin. Since it's just him there isn't really a chance for great goofs so I just skip it all

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

flatluigi posted:

guy mann hits it out of the park again

someone should tell that garth marenghi motherfucker that nobody's buying his poo poo and he should just own up to being a terrible writer

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

myron cope posted:

I actually heard that one, I guess maybe I skip if it sounds lame? I dunno. I don't usually listen.

And I don't listen to any moneyzone stuff for TAZ despite loving Griffin. Since it's just him there isn't really a chance for great goofs so I just skip it all

Griffin has a real tendency to babble nervously when it's just him, not only are the taz moneyzone spots not funny they're kind of sad and off putting.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

dijon du jour posted:

Thanks for vibing and keeping it tight. If you need me, I'll be on my mobile.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Travis343 posted:

Griffin has a real tendency to babble nervously when it's just him, not only are the taz moneyzone spots not funny they're kind of sad and off putting.

What? You sure you aren't projecting?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Griffin Begins

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/746371520050528256

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I think you'll find the Adventure Zone promos are a critical hit!

I miss the old ones where Griffin would just loving lay into it with "did you enjoy that? Did you, the listener, actually enjoy that?"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I only ever listen to 2 non-McElroy Max Fun shows, are there ads for MBMBaM? I've never heard one. The TAZ ones are definitely the best ads on the network, because they're actually funny in the ad, but JJHo and SPY have had some half-decent ones, too.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

I'm still sticking with my personal version of events where Griffin just uploaded the first episode to Polygon's channel one day, without any notice or consultation of the other editors.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
j'ai suis ess journaliste

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SpacePig posted:

I only ever listen to 2 non-McElroy Max Fun shows, are there ads for MBMBaM? I've never heard one. The TAZ ones are definitely the best ads on the network, because they're actually funny in the ad, but JJHo and SPY have had some half-decent ones, too.

I heard an ad for mbmbam on another show once, it ended with Griffin lamenting that they had thirty seconds for this ad and "we did racism, imagine what we can do with a whole hour". It was pretty funny but I don't know how that would read to a person who didn't already love the McElroy bros.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Travis343 posted:

It was pretty funny but I don't know how that would read to a person who didn't already love the McElroy bros.

I think that's the problem with a lot of ads for podcasts. Literally every one I listen to was by word of mouth or knowledge of the people in it. If you don't already know the style of humor, and it isn't something that can be clipped down to ~15 seconds, then it's not gonna read well.

There used to be an ad for Stop Podcasting Yourself where, after they introduced themselves, they said, "We're from Canada. Wait, wait, don't hang up!", and because I had already been listening to the show, I found it to be pretty funny. Everyone in the MBMBaM thread, though, would post about how unfunny it was. Most of the shows on Max Fun are "talk about poo poo and try to be funny", which I imagine is pretty hard to advertise.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Judge John Hodgman has pretty good ads because he lists a few of the disputes he's heard and you get a pretty good sense of his style of humor from the way he talks about it. Mbmbam would probably be better advertised by a brief sample of the questions they get.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vALa4qDsbXE

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Somebody please make a .gif of the apple ricocheting wildly around Mėlissa's head.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I like to imagine that he had no idea Skype was still on and improvised the show idea on the spot to explain why he was stuffing toys into his mouth and moaning when he got caught.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Can anyone who's listened to the show explain if this is some sort of in-joke or something? I swear this is the ad they play the most and of all the awful things in it "zhay swee ess journaleeste" may be the worst.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I keep seeing news about the XBox One S, and it keeps reminding me that it probably means that the new PS4 absolutely won't be the PISSFORCE.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I always thought it was je suis Easton Ellis as a "fun" play on the Charlie hebdo thing but I never really thought about more than I had to

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Travis343 posted:

It comes off as charming if you, like me, have a big crush on Griffin and want to put your mouth on his mouth. Just a cool tip!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

It comes off as charming if you, like me, have a big crush on Griffin and want to put your mouth on his mouth. Just a cool tip!

I cannot make use of this tip, he's married. You're breaking the law

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

It comes off as charming if you, like me, have a big crush on Griffin and want to put your mouth o in his mouth. Just a cool tip!

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

SpacePig posted:

They used to have this one where Justin would pretend to be Jimmy Buffet and contrary to how you think that might go, it's just about the worst thing I've ever heard from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I always thought it was je suis Easton Ellis as a "fun" play on the Charlie hebdo thing but I never really thought about more than I had to

I hope not, that sounds really hosed up