Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

FairGame posted:

Speaking of feeder selection, and it'd be an absolutely monstrous task that'd require a bunch of us collaborating on something, but:

The point values for a lot of the feeders are kinda bad--mostly in the direction of teams with players who should be good but aren't. When I did the feeder list I changed the point values for a couple of teams just because they never get taken otherwise. It's not that anyone did a bad job on the feeder list originally, it's that Mogul just doesn't handle some eras particularly well and the valuation understandably didn't take that into account.

The Big Red Machine at 5 points, for example, is a waste. Bench and Morgan are kinda useful; the latter's great when he works. Pete Rose is a good utility bat. There's a bullpen arm or two. And...that's kind of it. In reality the Big Red Machine had an insanely good offense. In the Super League, those bats just don't play. It'd be a great feeder at 3 points, though.

Assuming Smasher's cool with it, any objection to the offseason being used for a bunch of us to collaborate on re-valuing teams (and also updating the list past 2012 where I was kinda just making it up as I went along?)

My hope is that doing this would get more of those 70s and 80s players into the league and preventing things from being too same-y where there's a Babe Ruth or a Ted Williams in a bunch of lineups.

This is something I've been wanting to pursue for a while now.

The key issue will be consistency.

Consistency means fairly judging how much any particular feeder contributes to a SL team, and maintaining the same relative criteria across all franchises and years. I think one way to help build consistency is through consensus work. Meaning, you don't have one person judging a team, you have several who each given separate grades without conference, and then decide on a final grade. This is similar to ranking players during previews with multiple authors.

Also, it's important to keep the context of SL performance in mind as you look at any given feeder. A team being amazing in it's particular year or era doesn't mean it's going to be worth 5 points to a SL owner. Also, just because one year of a feeder is easily worth five points doesn't mean that a lesser adjacent year should automatically be 4 points if it's not as amazing. Compared to the rest of the feeders both may be worth five points.

-For example, the 1916 Red Sox have a young (but still excellent) Babe Ruth, prime Harry Hooper, a possibly playable Duffy Lewis and Larry Gardner, plus SP3-SP5ish starters Carl Mays and Dutch Leonard. That seems like a possible 5-star team right there, MAYBE 4 stars if you're down on the supporting cast a lot.
-The 1915 Red Sox, in addition to all the 1916 guys, have a prime Speaker and Smokey Joe Wood. They are a slam dunk 5-pointer. Does that mean the 1916 team is definitely 4 points? Or is it just a matter of relativity?

Currently, both are rated 4 points in the spreadsheet, which I think possibly resulted from underrating Mays/Leonard and maybe even Ruth himself. I'm not so sure that any pre-1930 Ruth feeder should be fewer than 5 points, especially not one that also offers the best CF in the super-league (outside of the Losers' Oscar Charleston). The point is that even though the 1915 team is clearly superior to the 1916 team, both teams offer Babe Ruth, who, even if he can't save a bad team, can still be package up for multiple great players or draft picks that would roughly make the 1916 Red Sox worth 5 points, even if the non-Ruth players aren't super-amazing on the feeder itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Alright, I'm fairly certain that I'm still not facing any lefties this week.

So, new lineup vs. both:

code:
CF - Hamilton
2B - Lajoie
RF - Ruth
LF - Bonds
3B - Santo
DH - Manny Ramirez
1B - Olerud
C  - Berra
SS - Hanley Ramirez
And let's re-arrange the bullpen a bit. Make Hoffman the closer, Rivera to MR, and Johnson to long relief. Kaat to the generic bullpen for losers.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The Merry Marauder posted:

I loving hate Mogul.

Cano is hitting .280 right now for Pungry! A great success.
In fact, his SL history is generally filled with seasons where the contact was just fine, but his aversion to walking and hitting more than 20 dingers cost him.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Posting this for my wife who's busy atm

New rotation order

SP1 Addie Joss
SP2 Pete Alexander
SP3 Bob Gibson
SP4 Hooks Wiltse
SP5 Curt Simmons

Lineup: Berkman to bench, Cuyler playing in his spot and batting last.

Bench: Send Zisk to the minors, call up O'Neill.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Pander posted:

Posting this for my wife who's busy atm

New rotation order

SP1 Addie Joss
SP2 Pete Alexander
SP3 Bob Gibson
SP4 Hooks Wiltse
SP5 Curt Simmons

Lineup: Berkman to bench, Cuyler playing in his spot and batting last.

Bench: Send Zisk to the minors, call up O'Neill.

Forgot, to have this make sense, put Cone in LR and drop Holmes to "bullpen"

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Oh no!

Stoned Lightning
Warren Spahn (SP) - Out For Regular Season

Your Dad's Beer
Ernie Banks (SS) - Out For Regular Season

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Sounds like the sinner's sandwich...

Getting swept by the bombers SUUUUUUUUCKS but at least I got some revenge on Yaya!

I forgot to do a new personal catcher after I moved Blyleven. Oops. Oh well, no need now, since I have days off again.

3 weeks to go!!! Let's end it on a high note!!!

NEW LINEUPS

code:
VS. RHP		                          |  VS. LHP
##    Position	 Player	           R/L/S  |  ##    Position   Player            R/L/S
01    DH         Luke Appling       [R]   |  01    2B         Frankie Frisch     [S]
02    RF         Stan Musial        [L]   |  02    3B         Luke Appling       [R]
03    C          Josh Gibson        [R]   |  03    DH         Josh Gibson        [R]
04    CF         Mickey Mantle      [S]   |  04    CF         Mickey Mantle      [S]
05    2B         Frankie Frisch     [S]   |  05    RF         Stan Musial        [L]
06    SS         Alan Trammell      [R]   |  06    SS         Alan Trammell      [R]
07    LF         Rickey Henderson   [R]   |  07    LF         Rickey Henderson   [R]   
08    3B         George Brett       [L]   |  08    1B         George Brett       [L]
09    1B         Carl Yastrzemski   [L]   |  09    C          Ted Simmons        [S]

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pander posted:

This is something I've been wanting to pursue for a while now.

The key issue will be consistency.

Consistency means fairly judging how much any particular feeder contributes to a SL team, and maintaining the same relative criteria across all franchises and years. I think one way to help build consistency is through consensus work. Meaning, you don't have one person judging a team, you have several who each given separate grades without conference, and then decide on a final grade. This is similar to ranking players during previews with multiple authors.

Also, it's important to keep the context of SL performance in mind as you look at any given feeder. A team being amazing in it's particular year or era doesn't mean it's going to be worth 5 points to a SL owner. Also, just because one year of a feeder is easily worth five points doesn't mean that a lesser adjacent year should automatically be 4 points if it's not as amazing. Compared to the rest of the feeders both may be worth five points.

-For example, the 1916 Red Sox have a young (but still excellent) Babe Ruth, prime Harry Hooper, a possibly playable Duffy Lewis and Larry Gardner, plus SP3-SP5ish starters Carl Mays and Dutch Leonard. That seems like a possible 5-star team right there, MAYBE 4 stars if you're down on the supporting cast a lot.
-The 1915 Red Sox, in addition to all the 1916 guys, have a prime Speaker and Smokey Joe Wood. They are a slam dunk 5-pointer. Does that mean the 1916 team is definitely 4 points? Or is it just a matter of relativity?

Currently, both are rated 4 points in the spreadsheet, which I think possibly resulted from underrating Mays/Leonard and maybe even Ruth himself. I'm not so sure that any pre-1930 Ruth feeder should be fewer than 5 points, especially not one that also offers the best CF in the super-league (outside of the Losers' Oscar Charleston). The point is that even though the 1915 team is clearly superior to the 1916 team, both teams offer Babe Ruth, who, even if he can't save a bad team, can still be package up for multiple great players or draft picks that would roughly make the 1916 Red Sox worth 5 points, even if the non-Ruth players aren't super-amazing on the feeder itself.

Yep. To your point about collaboration, I had in mind the same stuff that standardized tests do for free-response answers. Have two independent graders. If they agree, great. That's the value. If not, a 3p gets called in to decide.

I usually use some of the Lou Boudreau/Joe Gordon Indians squads to make my point about consistency within franchises within eras, but your Ruth example works even better.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

HulkaMatt posted:

Getting swept by the bombers SUUUUUUUUCKS

I actually recommend most teams do this because it's great.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

EXPANSION CUP: AUGUST INJURY UPDATE

Everyone's healthy! But, uh...I hope the Flying Dukaki weren't particularly planning on using Bruce Hurst in meaningful innings the rest of the season.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
*banner goes here*

DL Spahn. Nolan Ryan to SP1 and Luis Tiant to LR.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh, and also: I wouldn't worry too much about where the Zephyrs and Berners are in the standings because I just checked the dumb schedule, and

oh and there's also a 3-game set at the end of september

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FairGame posted:

EXPANSION CUP: AUGUST INJURY UPDATE

Everyone's healthy! But, uh...I hope the Flying Dukaki weren't particularly planning on using Bruce Hurst in meaningful innings the rest of the season.

Who?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I would say the easiest way to get consistent feeder values is to offer guidelines on about how many points different classes of player are worth, e.g. SL superstar = 1.5 points, SL regular = 1 point, mediocre SL player = .75 points, SL depth = .5 points, EC-only player = .25 points.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

FairGame posted:

Oh, and also: I wouldn't worry too much about where the Zephyrs and Berners are in the standings because I just checked the dumb schedule, and

oh and there's also a 3-game set at the end of september

This is going to be interesting! What's our H2H record so far?

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

Ok now make the Masked SS the starting SS, please.

Thanks Smasher.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Mornacale posted:

I would say the easiest way to get consistent feeder values is to offer guidelines on about how many points different classes of player are worth, e.g. SL superstar = 1.5 points, SL regular = 1 point, mediocre SL player = .75 points, SL depth = .5 points, EC-only player = .25 points.

So, your plan to solve the problematic subjectivity of assigning points to feeder teams is to introduce the problematic subjectivity of assigning points to the players on those feeder teams?

I see no possible problems with your theory.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

To make things a little easier, I do still have the Super-Feeder Mega Spreadsheet, which goes to the 2015 season.

However, the spreadsheet is probably, in all honesty, a bit of a mess, and the point feeders could be adjusted up and down from where they are. But it gives us a consistent rating.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

So, your plan to solve the problematic subjectivity of assigning points to feeder teams is to introduce the problematic subjectivity of assigning points to the players on those feeder teams?

I see no possible problems with your theory.

I was about to say the same thing. Ranking feeders, by its very nature, involves subjectivity. The key is to maintain both consistency and a sense of context. Doing that helps maintains uniformity and fairness.

Personally I'd lump players into a few categories:

All-world: Players who can be stars on any team. Ruth, Speaker, Charleston, Collins, Gibson, etc. These are players who will start on any team they're on, regardless of its ideas or roster construction. They were superstars in both real life and the SL. They're typically worth more than 5 WAR.

Regulars: These guys definitely can start, but may do better in some situations than others. A-Rod, Joe Cronin, Johnny Bench, Joe Jackson, Edgar Martinez, Harry Heilmann. Some are more volatile than others. Some of them are bad-aged versions of All-World guys, like the oldest version of Ruth, Speaker, or Musial. These guys are typically worth between 2-5 WAR, but can crash hard or put up a surprise MVP-caliber season rarely.

Marginal: In the perfect situation, these guys can start. But usually they're better as bench players. Griffey Jr, Pete Rose, Bubbles the Catcher, Jim Thome, Roberto Alomar, Barry Larkin, Gary Sheffield. These guys have strengths and flaws, and in the right stadium or with the right settings can be solid contributors. In a bad setting or with a bad roll they can cripple you if you rely on them. Typically -1 to 2 WAR, with most not being full time starters.

Filler: Guys who have had a few seasons of hanging in the SL, but entertain no real expectations of success. They are strictly backups, "break glass in case of emergency" type players. Sometimes (see: SLXVIII Panderers) some like Curt Walker or Tommy Holmes can keep a team alive who have no other options. Other times (see: SLXVII Southpaws Ken Oberkfell) they can hurt a team in the same situation.

Junk: People you simply do not put on a SL roster. Not even an EC roster, or for depth. Guys with only a few seasons, or with no success. This is probably close to 95% of all players in MLB history.

I've only listed position players so far. You can also lump pitchers into the above categories, but I feel their rankings are more subtle and built upon sub-categories. A mediocre deadballer can be far more effective than a mediocre liveball pitcher in most situations, because home runs are so influential on a game's outcome and even mediocre deadballers excel at limiting homers in mogul. Only the most elite liveball pitchers have any success at limiting home runs (Pedro, Kershaw).

If I see more than one all-world player, especially with a guy at a premium position, I'd immediately be inclined to rate that feeder at 5 points, and it'd take absolute poo poo at every other position to make it less than that. If some fictitious feeder had a prime Speaker and Walter Johnson and junk everywhere else, it'd be a coinflip in my mind between 3 or 4 points. That kind of fits Mornacale's ranking about "1.5 points per star player", so it seems that my subjective ranking matches his in this instance, and we'd probably either agree or be close to an agreement on the rating.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I think a guideline based on players makes things easier because you don't need to refer to other teams for context as much. Trying to rank teams holistically means you have to have a pretty good idea of all the teams out there, whereas if you can break it down a little then someone could reasonably just rank a team or two as they have time. There's no way to get away from subjectivity but you want to make it easy for people to get on the same page.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mornacale posted:

I think a guideline based on players makes things easier because you don't need to refer to other teams for context as much. Trying to rank teams holistically means you have to have a pretty good idea of all the teams out there, whereas if you can break it down a little then someone could reasonably just rank a team or two as they have time. There's no way to get away from subjectivity but you want to make it easy for people to get on the same page.

I'd actually prefer people having entirely different criteria for rating teams arriving at their independent conclusion. That way when you compare two different opinions, it forces people to understand why other people might think differently about the same feeder.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

FairGame posted:

How would this even work?

If you trade Lee Smith to another team, that team still has to give him to the Basecloggers after the season. This seems dumb and bad and not a trade anyone should make because it's just going to make someone sad.

Like TheMcD said, it's for people who think a bullpen boost could help them in the playoffs/win their division/not be relegated. Plus the price isn't going to be steep because it's only a rental!

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

FairGame posted:

Speaking of feeder selection, and it'd be an absolutely monstrous task that'd require a bunch of us collaborating on something, but:

The point values for a lot of the feeders are kinda bad--mostly in the direction of teams with players who should be good but aren't. When I did the feeder list I changed the point values for a couple of teams just because they never get taken otherwise. It's not that anyone did a bad job on the feeder list originally, it's that Mogul just doesn't handle some eras particularly well and the valuation understandably didn't take that into account.

The Big Red Machine at 5 points, for example, is a waste. Bench and Morgan are kinda useful; the latter's great when he works. Pete Rose is a good utility bat. There's a bullpen arm or two. And...that's kind of it. In reality the Big Red Machine had an insanely good offense. In the Super League, those bats just don't play. It'd be a great feeder at 3 points, though.

Assuming Smasher's cool with it, any objection to the offseason being used for a bunch of us to collaborate on re-valuing teams (and also updating the list past 2012 where I was kinda just making it up as I went along?)

My hope is that doing this would get more of those 70s and 80s players into the league and preventing things from being too same-y where there's a Babe Ruth or a Ted Williams in a bunch of lineups.
This is something I would like to be part of.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Please put Gehrig back in at 1B vs RHP.

Thanks Smasher.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Thanks for the analysis of my team. I appreciate it. As for the whole feeder discussion I can't add anything to it but would love to simply listen to the whole discussion if and when it takes place because I'm sure it's going to help me understand how to rate people better so I won't get into the same problems over and over again.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

EXPANSION CUP: AUGUST (and a couple games in September for some reason)

The Secret Sisterhood posted:

From the diary of Fred Clarke, Outfielder

It's a beautiful day for baseball. The temperature is warm, the breeze is light. There has to be at least 20000 in the stadium watching us, facing the Bad News Googs. All of us feel like this is a very winnable game, and morale is generally high among all of us.

All of us except Chase. He seemed to fidget when we heard the name of the opposing starting pitcher. Called him "The King", Felix Hernandez. Headley seems nervous about facing every pitcher, though. We try not to pay any attention to him. Honus gets the first shot against the so-called king, let's see what he's made of.

Honus digs in at the plate, the King winds up and delivers a rocket. Honus freezes up and watches it blast by into the mit. Strike 1. The screen claims it was 95 miles per hour, looked faster than that to me. The King winds up again, and makes Honus look like a fool, swinging at a pitch way outside. I look around the dugout, most of the team is as mortified as I am. Throwing 95 is one thing, Walter Johnson could do that, but what the hell did this kid do to make Honus swing like that? Honus is our leader, Clangbang named the dang team after him. Pitch number 3, Honus starts to swing but second guesses himself. Too little, too late, he went around. Strike 3. As I step out to the on deck circle, I pass by Honus, far and away the most confused I've ever seen him.

Gehringer gets some good contact, but lines out. Then its my turn. The first pitch is a gimme, my eyes light up as I swing for the fences. The ball has a mind of its own and dances out of harm's way. Strike 1. Chase told me later that pitch is called a slider, I refuse to believe Headley knows something about baseball that I don't. Pitch 2 is in the dirt. Pitch 3 is wide. Pitch 4 is 95 again, I grab a piece of it though. I've hit my stride, I think I've got him figured out. Pitch 5 comes and I'm way ahead of it. 83 miles per hour. I can hear their manager, The Goog, clap and chant to rally his troops. This new era of baseball scares me.

Next at bat I manage to squeak a groundball for a single. As is our specialty, we aren't known for our extra base hits. If I could get to second, a single would score me and give us a safe lead. 2-1 count to Goose right now. I go for it. I was dead to rights the moment I took off. Another high velocity fastball to the catcher and I'm thrown out at second and its not even close. Getting caught stealing is a feeling I don't feel very often, and a sense of dread for the rest of the game washes over me as I make the walk to the dugout.

Charles Boyd Xavier posted:

Octavio Dotel Is Actually Good: A mrnoun Prog-Rock Opera In One Part

Upon the rusted pillars/Of a nuclear power now dead
There goeth a man named gyroball/With vengeance in his head
For a long-fought battle/Did happen just this night
His Atom Bears fell silent/And gaveth up the fight

The Landers brought a balanced attack/No one man saw them through
Dale Murphy hitting .229/Jeff Kent at .292!
7 innings of ball from Nolan Ryan/stymied the Atom Bears
“I could’ve hurled a complete game!”/The tired Ryan swears!

While gyroball’s Waino fought the good fight/Going 7 innings as well
His Mitchell Boggs shat up the joint/And left a rotten smell
Gyro exclaimed “Oh gently caress this poo poo/Oh damnit all to hell!”
“I’ll smite you, Mitch, upon this spot/And end your pitching spell!”

“Stop laughing, Pujols, you suck too!/An error, and a K?”
“Third base must not be your forté/Left field is where you’ll stay!”
“Now Boggs, your future’s atomized/Reassembled at AAA!”
Gyroball left hastily/With no more rhymes today

As mrnoun sought the sage advice/Of one Crimson King
The Genesis of his return/Would bring him another ring
“Just stay the course, you’ve won before/Your victory assured”
“Your enemies will kneel before you/Your dominance, demure”

“No major men to wield the axe/no one man’s crippling blows”
“Will lead your team to victory/Or sell out all your shows”
“Just trust in rock to see you through/Ignore all other cares”
“And if this message fails on you/Well, gently caress those goddamn Bears!”

GAME NOTES:

-Octavio Dotel is 9-1 with a sub-3 ERA for the Landers. Thus, the title of this opera.
-Woodie Held has a 80-grade name tool, but a 45-grade hit tool.
-This game took place at the end of the previous monthly update, which included additional games that didn’t have the lineup adjustments already entered. That’s why Boggs pitched so many innings and Pujols was still at 3B.

ANALYSIS: Kris Bryant hasn't been half bad, actually.

ANALYSIS: Look, man. Chase Headly is a loving blight. Play Appling. You have a chance to win the division. All you have to do is beat mrnoun and my dumb filler team.

ANALYSIS: Your cunning plan has failed.

ANALYSIS: The two best teams in the EC, I think, are in the same division. But for what it's worth: you will control your own destiny so long as you're within ~5 games by the end of September.

ANALYSIS: All systems go.

ANALYSIS: I'm around this weekend if you want to go into detail with your players. I don't think this is a bad team, but the guys like Canseco and Buhner aren't going to work so it doesn't seem like the end of the world that you're below .500.

ANALYSIS: I don't know when Bruce Hurst got maimed. But Cooper's been in the minors all season and has great stats. You should swap him.

ANALYSIS: Nothing so flawed that a good draft can't fix.

ANALYSIS: Your dumb team might win the division.

ANALYSIS: Too many deadball bats and gloves.

ANALYSIS: At last, you're losing the number of games you expected. Race toward that draft pick!

ANALYSIS: Man, Canseco's having a great year.

ANALYSIS: Were this team in the other division it'd probably contend for a title. Pitching's already Super League ready (or close to it). Not enough offense, but that can be fixed.

THE 80s REMEMBERERS

ANALYSIS: C'mon, guys. Please don't let a filler team beat you.

ANALYSIS: Cruising toward the #1 draft pick.

ANALYSIS: You'll see in the screenshots that Boggs and Pujols are where you wanted 'em. But for whatever reason Mogul is simming a couple games into the subsequent month each time I run it. So your recap game was from before that.

Clangbang
Jun 3, 2016
So Shepard is telling me "having someone as bad as Appling field on a team built like yours is dumb" and fair game is saying "hitting matters more than fielding .880". Anyone care to play tiebreaker ? Preferably a good owner since my advisors are an idiot inspired by dusty baker and some dude who made his rotation a poop joke(Shepard told me to write that last sentence).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Clangbang posted:

So Shepard is telling me "having someone as bad as Appling field on a team built like yours is dumb" and fair game is saying "hitting matters more than fielding .880". Anyone care to play tiebreaker ? Preferably a good owner since my advisors are an idiot inspired by dusty baker and some dude who made his rotation a poop joke(Shepard told me to write that last sentence).

I'm going to claim tiebreaker status as a member of the Alter Egos. Headley is approaching the Mendoza Line (in the loving EC, no less, where the competition is the shittiest it'll ever be for your team) and is fielding about average. I contend that Appling at 3B doesn't work, but it can't be THAT bad that it makes Headley look like the better option. I mean, I loving know that Ross Barnes at 3B doesn't even remotely work (like, a whole level below Appling not working), but I still do it occasionally just because his bat is hot as hell. Headley's bat is so loving frigid that Appling just needs to be average to be a net plus.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Clangbang posted:

1.) Infield defense matters, but matters more at SS and 2B than it does at 3B and 1B (though 3B is certainly more important than 1B unless your 1B literally can't catch the ball at all a la Dan Brouthers.)
2.) Headley can't hit at all, and isn't even a particularly good 3B. I think his fielding % at 3B is roughly what he'd do over a full season: bad, but not disastrous.
3.) Appling rolled very well for his offensive stats, is hitting, and is probably only slightly worse (and when I get home tonight I can show you the component stats) than Headley at defense. If he were actually a true talent .880% fielder I would not be advising you to dump him. But I think he could pretty easily field ~ .940 (which is still bad!) the rest of the way since I suspect that's closer to his true talent.
4.) You are currently losing to a filler team I never intended to win enough games to take the division, and you're doing that with Headley in the lineup. GIven that, I'd err on the side of "do something different."

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

My opinion is that it's good to play Headley a lot in the EC, since it's the EC. So you did good there.

The corollary to that is that you should swap guys out every couple months to try EVERYONE.

Wins and losses are completely inconsequential. Just try to see what combinations or unexpected contributions emerge from just trying stuff.

Clangbang
Jun 3, 2016
Phone post- Bonus Wagner

replace Headley with Appling at 3b in all lineups.

Make Howard PC to whoever starts next and clear any other PCs.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-League XIX, Week 24 Injury Report

Trump Baseball
Roy Patterson (SP) (Some blood must flow!) - 10 days

Pick 'em: A Barbecued Brexit Sandwich with Texas Chili on the side

The Dave Meltzer Five-Star Championships
Hoboken Zephyrs (c) @ Detroit Wolverines

Hardcore and Larkin-Downing Championships
South Dakota Marmosets (c) @ Rockford Losers

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Drumpf Baseball
Roy Patterson (SP) (Some blood must flow!) - 10 days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CVvNRQcvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lR9VlyvnDE

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Champs retain

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Champs retain!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Pick 'em: A Barbecued Brexit Sandwich with Texas Chili on the side

The Dave Meltzer Five-Star Championships
Hoboken Zephyrs (c) @ Detroit Wolverines

Hardcore and Larkin-Downing Championships
South Dakota Marmosets (c) @ Rockford Losers

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Move Delahanty to RF, Beltran to CF. Ruth to DL, Lajoie takes over at 2B for the week, Whitaker to the bench.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm not going to continue to run this team next season. IF you want to kill it off and let someone else survive the gauntlet as a result, that's fine with me. If you want to let it float rudderless through the Sub-par League, that's fine with me. I'll be back at a later date for a future EC in an attempt to create a less hopeless franchise in a new and exciting secret location.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 24, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pick'Em: Champs retain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

tadashi posted:

I'm not going to continue to run this team next season. IF you want to kill it off and let someone else survive the gauntlet as a result, that's fine with me. If you want to let it float rudderless through the Sub-par League, that's fine with me. I'll be back at a later date for a future EC in an attempt to create a less hopeless franchise in a new and exciting secret location.

I will let McFreeze decide how to deal with that.