Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
Finally got around to watching Wake in Fright, and anyone who hasn't seen it yet really needs to get on it. It's an amazing movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is Heavenly Creatures a horror film?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Heavenly Creatures a horror film?

No. Still worth watching though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My biggest problem with Cloverfield, and incidentally most horror movies, is the 20-30 minutes in the beginning they spend on absolutely pointless character development. It's even worse when the audience already knows what's going on and you have to watch the characters slowly figure it out. How is 10 Cloverfield Lane in that regard?

This really isn't much of a spoiler because it's literally the first minute of the film, but the way they introduce Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character is really subtle and well done. She's on the phone, she leaves a ring on the counter, we don't hear dialogue, and then she leaves and heads out of town. It conveys a lot with very little, and I really liked how that one little silent scene covers everything you need to know about her before the plot kicks in.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

This really isn't much of a spoiler because it's literally the first minute of the film, but the way they introduce Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character is really subtle and well done. She's on the phone, she leaves a ring on the counter, we don't hear dialogue, and then she leaves and heads out of town. It conveys a lot with very little, and I really liked how that one little silent scene covers everything you need to know about her before the plot kicks in.
I really dug that too.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I have a habit of looking forward to movies for ages, reading and listening to a bunch about them, never seeing them when they are finally released (in Australia) and then sitting on my PC until I get a chance to watch something when the family is out. Finally got around to watching The Witch, and holy poo poo that was good. The authentic period touches really elevated the movie for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

I have a habit of looking forward to movies for ages, reading and listening to a bunch about them, never seeing them when they are finally released (in Australia) and then sitting on my PC until I get a chance to watch something when the family is out. Finally got around to watching The Witch, and holy poo poo that was good. The authentic period touches really elevated the movie for me.

Yeah, I felt really transported to another time and place.

edit: With "epics" I'm used to, as a viewer, "being transported to a fantasy world" like Lord of the Rings, or whatever, but that's a whole different type of suspension of disbelief. This put you up close and personal with people who were from another world, but a real world that actually existed.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Hey, I have a question for all of you who've seen Under the Skin. Specifically, a question about 1:32 in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5auc-EIUtk.

There is something special about that moment. I've seen some hosed up poo poo in movies, and I'm guessing you all have too. Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Ichi the Killer, that moment in Bone Tomahawk where that guy gets split in two (gently caress that movie btw). The faces of the dead kids in Ring hosed me up too. But nothing has made me feel the kind of terror that Under the Skin did. It hits me in the chest, like someone taking a battering ram to my heart.

I hope I'm not alone in this, because my question is: what do you think makes that moment so uniquely terrifying? It's a fairly mild scene, all things considered. It's just a couple dudes floating in water until 1:32. It's not even that graphic.

Sorry if this is a dumb post, but this is something I've been thinking about for a while. I can't come up with an answer, and you all seem to be smart people, so I thought I'd ask.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Hey, I have a question for all of you who've seen Under the Skin. Specifically, a question about 1:32 in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5auc-EIUtk.

There is something special about that moment. I've seen some hosed up poo poo in movies, and I'm guessing you all have too. Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Ichi the Killer, that moment in Bone Tomahawk where that guy gets split in two (gently caress that movie btw). The faces of the dead kids in Ring hosed me up too. But nothing has made me feel the kind of terror that Under the Skin did. It hits me in the chest, like someone taking a battering ram to my heart.

I hope I'm not alone in this, because my question is: what do you think makes that moment so uniquely terrifying? It's a fairly mild scene, all things considered. It's just a couple dudes floating in water until 1:32. It's not even that graphic.

Sorry if this is a dumb post, but this is something I've been thinking about for a while. I can't come up with an answer, and you all seem to be smart people, so I thought I'd ask.

Not dumb at all, I love discussing Under the Skin and that moment in particular is absolute genius. Probably the most viscerally disturbing scene I've seen for a long time.

I think a lot of it is about how it builds and builds, as you slowly realize that something is not right with this guy's body, and then BAM right as you're processing that you get clobbered over the head. Technically speaking, there's a musical sting that happens that I think adds a lot to the scene and helps make you completely leap out of your chair. I'd technically call it a jump scare, and one of the all-time great ones at that.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

I haven't seen Under the Skin but that scene's terrifying without context, too. Kind of wish I hadn't spoiled myself!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

to me the terror of the scene is the guy seeing what happens and knowing what's to befall him and having no escape.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
They look like People was pretty drat good. For its budget they really did a lot with the scares. Really can't recommend it enough.

On Netflix right now.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMHwri8TtNE

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

I haven't seen the movie (but I definitely will now!), but I think a large part of it is that it's an unreal way to die. In the sense that it doesn't conform to any of our usual expectations for death in movies. I really feel in a lot of horror movies that's one of the most effective techniques. To show a kind of death beyond our normal comfort zones and familiarity. Of course, if other movies start copying it, it become cliche, but the first time is always super-effective.

Or put it this way, I've seen so many zombie kills and zombie fatalities that it barely registers anymore. But something like this confuses and upsets the brain.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
I want to give a shout out to the movie Embers which is on VOD now. It got a very small festival unveiling last fall and a lot of people missed out on it, so it's been under the radar ever since. It takes place in the future when a disease has more or less wiped out the ability to remember, and it follows 5 or 6 disconnected stories that each touch on one aspect of humanity (love, art, education, violence, innocence) and how it changes when we can no longer retain any memories. I thought it was a really neat, ambitious little sci-fi film, but more of a drama than a thriller I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkRe0b9L-wI

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Thread's been dead for a couple months. Anything new/good out?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

various cheeses posted:

I liked Karyn Kusama's The Invitation a lot

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

various cheeses posted:

It's kind of redundant now that the other thread is officially just the horror thread.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I liked Karyn Kusama's The Invitation a lot

I didn't really. It was formulaic and cliche, and the climax was telegraphed from about five minutes in. It was well polished and decently acted (and I'm definitely 'not gay' for Michael Huisman), but extremely forgettable, not to mention a severe case of why don't people just leave. Props for a race, gender and orientation diverse cast, though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Vulpes posted:

I didn't really. It was formulaic and cliche, and the climax was telegraphed from about five minutes in. It was well polished and decently acted (and I'm definitely 'not gay' for Michael Huisman), but extremely forgettable, not to mention a severe case of why don't people just leave. Props for a race, gender and orientation diverse cast, though.

Didn't someone just left and it was heavily implied she got murdered?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Didn't someone just left and it was heavily implied she got murdered?

Implied to the viewer, yes, but not to the characters. Will had his suspicions but was pretty easily distracted and didn't mention it at all until he flipped out later in the piece. I know horror/thriller movies don't usually work unless the characters make stupid decisions, but it really rubbed me the wrong way in this one.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"Why don't they just leave" seemed to be addressed pretty naturally to me. People tend to act irrationally tolerant of awkward situations when it's a social event and they want to avoid having a falling out or making a social faux pas by skipping out on hosts and friends they haven't seen in a long time. Most of the characters had reasons for wanting to stay, or weren't completely freaked out, or wanted to be there for people other than the hosts. When people did try to leave, there were either consequences or people there to talk them out of it, and only once did someone want to leave badly enough that they couldn't be talked down.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Just wanna warn the thread about Complete Unknown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhR74Y1uDr8

I went in expecting a psychological thriller about who this woman really was, but it was more a slice-of-life, Dinner with Andre if Andre was a Lying Weirdo thing. Its a fine movie, but its not a thriller by any stretch of the imagination.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sticklefifer posted:

"Why don't they just leave" seemed to be addressed pretty naturally to me. People tend to act irrationally tolerant of awkward situations when it's a social event and they want to avoid having a falling out or making a social faux pas by skipping out on hosts and friends they haven't seen in a long time. Most of the characters had reasons for wanting to stay, or weren't completely freaked out, or wanted to be there for people other than the hosts. When people did try to leave, there were either consequences or people there to talk them out of it, and only once did someone want to leave badly enough that they couldn't be talked down.

Yea I agree with this. It seemed like the movie went out of its way to explain the motivations for each individual character and why they'd end up staying at the party, and even threw in one guest who did get uncomfortable enough to get up and leave. I'm not sure what else could have been done.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have yet to see The Invitation but am I right in my understanding that it basically a mumblecore/horror The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie or Exterminating Angel where a bunch of upper-middle class assholes attempt to have a proper and civilized dinner but things go horribly wrong?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

JOrdan Peele (of Key & Peele) is releasing a new film. Seems like its a psychological thriller. I'm excited.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
That looks like it could be good, anyone interested be warned - it's one of those trailers that shows A LOT of the movie.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya that looked interesting but the trailer was a bit too revealing imo. Should have just shown the parents acting a bit weird and not going full psycho which kinda ruins the suspense of the movie.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 22, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

Ya that looked interesting but the trailer was a bit too revealing imo. Should have just shown the parents acting a bit weird and not going full psycho which kinda ruins the suspense of the movie.

Like, for example, this comment would if someone didn't watch the trailer...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
What if I saved you the trouble and just revealed that it's The Stepford Wives except with a couple black people

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's fairly obvious from the trailer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Shadowhand00 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfnevzM9kQ

JOrdan Peele (of Key & Peele) is releasing a new film. Seems like its a psychological thriller. I'm excited.

Lol the dislike ratio and the comments section full of offended white people

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Like, for example, this comment would if someone didn't watch the trailer...

Oh my bad for spoiling a trailer.

I was actually hoping this to be some sort of dark comedy but it seems to be taking itself too serious.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's actually a really good time for such a movie to come out.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
nothing funny about racism, bud.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.

Ulio posted:

Oh my bad for spoiling a trailer.
You complained about the trailer being too revealing but then posted exactly the details that made it too revealing...

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Yeah, use that handy "edit" button to put the spoiler tags on it, pal.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That movie looks bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Professor Shark posted:

That movie looks bad

*ahem*