Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Quick someone get Luol Deng's opinions on Brexit.

probably not very high on it, as he himself was an immigrant into GB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Oladipo is not a good player yet fyi.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who's the best English baller of all time

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

zoux posted:

Alex English :haw:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

zoux posted:

Joel Freeland if you don't count Deng

comedy answer: Ndudi Ebi

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

My knowledge of him extends to his games against okc where he balled the gently caress out every time so please explain

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

He is definitely better than what they have and it's a no-brainer that he would start over Roberson/Waiters.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Oladipo will be better in OKC than he was in Orlando and Serge won't be as good in Orlando as he was in OKC.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Metapod posted:

My knowledge of him extends to his games against okc where he balled the gently caress out every time so please explain
I think he's improved a lot, but advanced stats (BPM, WS48, PER) think he's below/around league average. Probably most valuable on the defensive end, where he's been inconsistent. Not a good shooter, but passable. Not a great finisher around the basket. Decent handle, should theoretically be a good secondary ball-handler for Russ. Spacing-wise, he couldn't play with Payton. Might need the ball in his hands to be effective offensively.

last season was his best, but he was coming off the bench and cut to chop up opposing teams bench units/tired starters. TOV% is finally becoming workable.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The only justification I would accept for the OKC trade is inside info about Ibaka's knees being ruined. The line that's come down is that he's unhappy with his role, and wouldn't re-sign in 2017. The problem is that they could easily have won the title next year. Role problems don't really make sense, because he's the one who passes the ball in terror, rather than taking a shot or making a move.

Ilyasova is the Turkish James Franco, a good but streaky shooter who can only pretend to attack close outs, a willing but not special passer, and he's useless on defense beyond taking charges.
Dipo should look much better as defenses focus on Russ and KD, but he needs the ball to be himself, so you have to assume that he would spend more time with Durant than with Westbrook. Curious
Sabonis is a smaller Kanter and we're told he can shoot threes, but it's yet to be proven. No defensive upside.

You don't win in the playoffs with bigs who can't defend. This leaves OKC with just Adams/Roberson as 4-5s who can defend at a championship level.

Was the lineup that was smoking Golden State Rusty/Waiters/Durant/Roberson/Ibaka?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 24, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

in comms research we talk about technological changes being evolutionary or revolutionary. Oladipo could be a good evolution from Waiters, but he's not going to revolutionize their offense.

Losing Ibaka will hurt on both ends. Lost a step, but was doing a lot of thankless jobs last season. Reminded me of Bosh/Love. Good at dirty work. Nice fit on Magic next to Vuc...Horford?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Libertine posted:

He is definitely better than what they have and it's a no-brainer that he would start over Roberson/Waiters.

Using offensive stats in a comparison with Roberson :laffo:

I think he's improved a lot, but advanced stats (BPM, WS48, PER) think he's below/around league average. Probably most valuable on the defensive end, where he's been inconsistent. Not a good shooter, but passable. Not a great finisher around the basket. Decent handle, should theoretically be a good secondary ball-handler for Russ. Spacing-wise, he couldn't play with Payton. Might need the ball in his hands to be effective offensively.

last season was his best, but he was coming off the bench and cut to chop up opposing teams bench units/tired starters. TOV% is finally becoming workable.

What I'm getting from this is victor and cam are going to wreck havoc on team's second units

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm glad the Thunder got worse and the Spurs created the future BASH BROTHERS quiet noble heroes Kawhi Leonard and his lil bro Dejounte.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Metapod posted:

What I'm getting from this is victor and cam are going to wreck havoc on team's second units
both of those guys kind of need the ball though idk oladipo's a weird player. I want to believe but OKC may have too many chefs in the kitchen. I thought the Magic won the deal, but that it was pretty fair

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Sixers have Ben Simmons and the English are almost to the point of cannibalism.

All is right in the world.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Metapod posted:

Those aren't all offensive stats, stop being so defensive about your guys, I'm not trying to poo poo talk Roberson who obviously has a strong niche and fills it well.

That said, Oladipo compares well defensively to Roberson, I wouldn't say he's better (some metrics would), but he's definitely respectable. He's certainly a loving mile ahead of Waiters. In terms of total offensive/defensive contribution he's better than either of them.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

in comms research we talk about technological changes being evolutionary or revolutionary. Oladipo could be a good evolution from Waiters, but he's not going to revolutionize their offense.

Losing Ibaka will hurt on both ends. Lost a step, but was doing a lot of thankless jobs last season. Reminded me of Bosh/Love. Good at dirty work. Nice fit on Magic next to Vuc...Horford?

I'd like to see them play Jennings/Hezonja/Fournier/Gordon/Ibaka and see what happens

both of those guys kind of need the ball though idk oladipo's a weird player. I want to believe but OKC may have too many chefs in the kitchen. I thought the Magic won the deal, but that it was pretty fair

It's similar to the Clippers problem when their 3 best bench players were all ball dominant guards. If you let Oladipo have the ball in the second unit, how's Cameron Payne going to improve?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Waiters is actually okay on defense. Roberson is the best defender out of them by a mile. Dipo won't be taking Roberson.'s playing time.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Bulls are gonna be depressing but I'm excited to have Denzel Valentine in my backyard. Also looking forward to paying upwards of $15 to see another Bucks game because Thon and Gianni's sounds like a silly time.

Denzel Valentine looks about as unathletic as you can get in the NBA. Like Doug McDermott outscored him at the combine. Bulls easily have the least athletic team in the league now which is funny because their GM touted how he wanted to make them younger and more athletic this offseason.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Oladipo is a good player at a position that currently lacks many good players. Orlando's best young player is a PF. I'm sorry, that trade stinks for Orlando (also Saba the second is going to own)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm on the Papa John train now because he's got a good NBA parent
https://twitter.com/lukewinn/status/746091178135805953

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 24, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Joel Freeland if you don't count Deng

comedy answer: Ndudi Ebi

yo trigger warning that poo poo

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

leftist heap posted:

Do you mean Roberson? 'cause Waiters wasn't in the starting lineup and probably isn't going to be on the team next season.

Sure we'll go with that. For some reason I thought waiters was the starting 2 for OKC.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Dipo will benefit from playing with 2 top players, his efficiency numbers should be much better this year.

I wouldn't put much stock in a 3rd year player being inefficient in a Skiles offense whose best player is often injured.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
GMs get your pocket books ready because Durant is flying off the shelf at OKC and hitting the market very soon

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bashez posted:

On the contrary, they're getting worse for a better future.

Ibaka had a down year but he was still at least the fourth most important player on that team. OKC lost a lot of spacing, I'm not sure that's a good thing for them*.

*Did not realize Ilyasova was that good at shooting threes.

Serge had def. become the main Silverback on this team, and I'll miss him. And woe to OKC if Adams goes down with injury. He's not indestructible. According to *some expert insider* Serge was getting disgruntled at having a great midrange shot and developed a passable 3- and almost never getting a chance after working his rear end off on D. Apparently Donovan was not able in his 1st year to convince Westbrook or Durant to lay off to Ibaka for shots, doh.

Maybe Kanter ahahaha will develop in the off-season ahahahahahahaha into a 2nd you know what I'm ahahahhahahahahahhahaa *falls over backward in chair, foaming at the mouth*

edit- basically what I think is Ibaka didn't so much lose a step this year as he lost some desire and motivation because of the 2 superstar effect

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Libertine posted:

Those aren't all offensive stats, stop being so defensive about your guys, I'm not trying to poo poo talk Roberson who obviously has a strong niche and fills it well.

That said, Oladipo compares well defensively to Roberson, I wouldn't say he's better (some metrics would), but he's definitely respectable. He's certainly a loving mile ahead of Waiters. In terms of total offensive/defensive contribution he's better than either of them.

I'll admit I'm defensive about Roberson but that's because he's such an easy target to pick on and devalue.

I like to think the players bought into coach Billy's system and will continue to execute it next season

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Oladipo is a good player at a position that currently lacks many good players. Orlando's best young player is a PF. I'm sorry, that trade stinks for Orlando (also Saba the second is going to own)

Gordon at the 4, Ibaka at the 5 and this is the year that Gordon breaks out as an all-star and dunks from the free throw line four times a game.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Presti traded away Durant's best and only friend, Serge Jonas Ibaka. Now that he doesnt have anyone to get beers at TGIF's anymore, he's going to have his eye set on big markets where there are lots more people to be friends with than in Oklahoma

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Denzel Valentine looks about as unathletic as you can get in the NBA. Like Doug McDermott outscored him at the combine. Bulls easily have the least athletic team in the league now which is funny because their GM touted how he wanted to make them younger and more athletic this offseason.

No doubt the Bulls are going to be depressing but BACKCOURT DRAYMOND is the future and I really only give a poo poo because I'm an MSU fan and could otherwise give a gently caress about the Bulls.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Oliderpo is half the player, and man, Serge Ibaka is.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jonathan Givony @draftexpress

Isaia Cordinier had a promise to be picked by a team drafting in the late 30s/early 40s, but team reneged at the last minute. Ugly story.

Jonathan Givony @draftexpress

Even told other teams not to pick him because he was guaranteed to be brought to NBA right away. Had to scramble last minute to get picked

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
What the gently caress are you doing Grunfeld!?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new..._medium=twitter

SportingNews posted:

According to sources, the Wiz are locked in on making a major offer to Joakim Noah. The Wizards are said to be willing to offer Noah, coming off shoulder surgery that KO’d him in January, a full maximum contract. His deal would start at $28 million and reach around $120 million over four seasons.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Did you guys watch Serge Ibaka play last season?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Niwrad posted:

yeah man! he was still good!

e: he was also one of the better players in the playoffs, which certainly increases his value

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dang, five Frenchmen got drafted last night.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Niwrad posted:

Probably only against the Spurs and warriors, which was the best 15 game stretch he played all year by a huge margin

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Niwrad posted:

I did! He was noticeably worse during the season then during the playoffs something clicked and he was good again

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metapod posted:

I did! He was noticeably worse during the season then during the playoffs something clicked and he was good again

Motivation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
$28M/yr. for Joakim Noah :stare:

Also a good point probably already covered in this thread that I read this morning: the Thaddeus Young trade signals even further commitment by the Nets to a full-on tank, but Boston has the rights to swap first-rounders with Brooklyn next season, so that pick could end up being Real, Real Good for the Celtics, in a better draft.

• Locked thread