Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Extreme0 posted:

6 to 9pm? Is it happening atm? Might just head there as I am 10-15 minutes away

Kill trump

I will hail u as hero

6 to 9 pm, won't be happening for another hour and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Strong time skills in the Scotpol thread.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Time for independence

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
How easy do you think it would be for an English qualified electrician (Plus City & Guilds 2394-01 and 2395-01), with no living Scottish relatives to relocate to, and apply for citizenship in an independent Scotland existing within the EU. Do you think that my lack of a degree would work against my favour (I do have some level 4 qualifications, a HND in Electrical/Electronic Engineering and a City & Guilds, and my City & Guilds 2396-01, which I believe are both level 4 qualifications)? Would my lack of strong Scottish ancestry also affect my chances (Both Paternal Grandparents were Polish, Maternal Grandfather was from Northern Ireland, Maternal Grandmother is half English and Scottish)? How long would you expect such an application to take? Would I require a sponsor in Scotland? I realise that my questions are probably premature, as Scotland is not yet even independent, but my sense of bewilderment and dismay over my wasted remain vote, and my trepidation about the economic futures of England and Wales have forced me to reconsider my nationality. I am also considering a move and citizenship application to the Republic of Ireland, and am equally in the dark about that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You can move to Scotland right now if you like. Border's still open. If independence happens then most likely any UK citizen living there at the time will be offered Scottish citizenship, although at the moment nobody really knows.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yeah, just move now so it's not a bother.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Worth moving anyway imo, it's generally a nicer place than England once you get over the fact you can't buy booze in offies after ten.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Give it a couple of days like this & I reckon we can even get Jedit on board with IndyRef 2

No, I've already seen one incredibly loving stupid irrevocable decision made in the last 24 hours and I'd rather not make it two. We need to see all the terms of the UK exit and have all assurances from the EU before considering independence.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Strong time skills in the Scotpol thread.

Unusually weak material from Pissflaps, a man defeated.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Aramoro posted:

Exactly, everything we voted No for is being systematically burnt to the ground by this vote. We might as well go for independence now because it cannot be worse.

This does a pretty good job of articulating how I feel, even if I'm still not entirely sold on independence yet. I certainly think another indyref is justified; it's hard to think of a clearer (plausible) case of a material change in circumstance.

One thing to all the Yessers though - and I don't just mean this thread if twitter and common space et al are any indication today - you need to remember that, despite what several columnists appear to be telling themselves, the case for independence hasn't been won on the terms, ideas and arguments made 2 years ago. There's this brewing sense not even of "I told you so," but of something more religious, a belief that all us pissed off No/Remainers have now, or will now, embrace all the Yes campaign said. What's changed is not a sudden acceptance of all the often fanciful, sometimes wrong, occasionally hateful arguments. There's a real misunderstanding prevalent in the various assessments of why people voted no. It wasn't because they were scared or simply frightened of change. It wasn't that the default Obvious Correct Opinion was Yes from which people were somehow perverted. It was that, when offered a choice, many people decided, based on what was offered, that one side had better arguments. What's changed is that the grounding of several of those arguments has been removed. If I vote independence - and right now, this moment, I think I might - it won't be because Yes convinced me, it's not that I now accept that independence will resolve or improve many (perhaps any) of the things it was claimed it would. If i vote independence t'll be because the alternative became appreciably worse.

Niric fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 24, 2016

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'm too stupid and feckless for the US and Canada so Scotland it'll have to be. Number 1 fan of Scotland! Let's do it!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I wonder if the EU might try directly negotiating with the Scottish Government for keeping Scotland in the EU. Probably far fetched though admittedly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Which part of Scotland needs a useless philosophy undergraduate who is also dumb and has a stupid face?

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, just move now so it's not a bother.

Believe me, if I was in a decent financial position I would move tomorrow. As it stands, it would probably take at least 8-9 months to ensure financial security whilst making such a transition.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Which part of Scotland needs a useless philosophy undergraduate who is also dumb and has a stupid face?

Am I still worse than the khmer rouge?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Regarde Aduck posted:

Sounds like Edinburgh to me

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Coohoolin posted:

Am I still worse than the khmer rouge?

No :(

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Regarde Aduck makes good posts* and is absolutely welcome here.

*even that one.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Also I think a second indy ref would come back no anyway. Never hope for anything ever again.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Then come on up to Aberdeen, we'll get drunk on absinthe and Wray and nephews in moorings and take the piss out of the students stumbling home as early as 2am.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
https://www.facebook.com/events/252664551775523/?ti=cl

Here's the event, starting soon.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

WMain00 posted:

I wonder if the EU might try directly negotiating with the Scottish Government for keeping Scotland in the EU. Probably far fetched though admittedly.

Very far fetched, practically impossible right now.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Not Operator posted:

Also I think a second indy ref would come back no anyway. Never hope for anything ever again.

Not if we exclude old people

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

El Perkele posted:

Very far fetched, practically impossible right now.

True, I imagine it would require quite a bit of legal write-up on both sides to try implement a devolved nation into the EU. Still I wonder how many European politicians are looking at Scotland and sensing an opportunity not just to snub the nose of Westminster, but also try stem the blood?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jedit posted:

We need to see all the terms of the UK exit and have all assurances from the EU before considering independence.

I agree. Independence makes sense as an option to think about in a way that it didn't yesterday, but we need to know how Scotland would look both in and out of the UK before we can make a good decision.

There was really no coherent plan for how a non-EU UK would look before this referendum, and look how that turned out.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Extreme0 posted:

Not if we exclude old people

Which we should if we have any sense.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Count me in as another disillusioned English bastard who voted remain and has no hope for England left, even though where I live now (Bristol) had a remain majority. If a new Scot referendum does happen, I will seriously consider moving up beforehand.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

WMain00 posted:

True, I imagine it would require quite a bit of legal write-up on both sides to try implement a devolved nation into the EU. Still I wonder how many European politicians are looking at Scotland and sensing an opportunity not just to snub the nose of Westminster, but also try stem the blood?

Isn't this essentially the same as how the Kingdom of Denmark works? the country of Denmark is in the EU, the countries of Greenland and the Faroes are outside.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Rally was OK. Not too busy but it had a few folk there. Left early though so don't know if it will increase or not.

People with the loving end London rule banner along with that wee blue book poo poo were getting more attention from media though then the big crowd with green msps. Typical.

Also can confirm coohoolin sounds Scottish.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I'm not moving back to Scotland, I'm getting an Irish passport instead.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
There's just about no doubt in my mind that Scotland will be independent now in the next few years. Jesus Christ, this is unbelievable. I went to bed last night absolutely fully confident remain would win, I wasn't ready for this.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

It will be interesting what the stances are for labour and Lib Dems are now after this.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
I'm in the process of applying to Edinburgh for grad school using my EU citizenship instead of my US one so if you guys could stay in the EU somehow that'd be super great thanks.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Aphex- posted:

If a new Scot referendum does happen, I will seriously consider moving up beforehand.

What allowed it to happen last year that's changed now?

As an outsider, I'm not familiar with the systems, especially Parliament. How possible would it be for Scotland to secure a quick referendum and remain a member of the EU by being grandfathered in, rather than having to negotiate accession anew?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Can York and Harrogate join Scotland when they leave? You'd get a lot of Betty's and we can probably change those bylaws about shooting Scots

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Fuschia tude posted:

What allowed it to happen last year that's changed now?

As an outsider, I'm not familiar with the systems, especially Parliament. How possible would it be for Scotland to secure a quick referendum and remain a member of the EU by being grandfathered in, rather than having to negotiate accession anew?

Only the UK Government can call an official referendum* - what happened last year was that the SNP were voted into Holyrood with such a big mandate, and on a manifesto promise to have a referendum, that it would have been politically untenable for the UK government to not allow a referendum. The Scottish Government can't hold an official one themselves, but given that at the moment there's only been one request for a referendum and that was granted, the precedent is to allow the request: plus it's unlikely the Scottish Government would call one they didn't think they had a chance they could win. So, holding a "quick" referendum probably won't be all that problematic- not least because the Tories, and the Brexiters especially, would be big electoral winners from any UK split.

Now, the EU question is a bit more problematic since it's unprecedented, but as I understand it - and this seems to be the position expressed by EU figures - Scotland would not "remain" a member and would have to reapply, so Britain's opt-outs etc would not apply. I strongly suspect Scotland's entry would be fast-tracked, but it's difficult to say at the moment what the terms of the membership would be.

* there's the possibility of a Catalonian-style unofficial referendum, but I don't think that's very likely

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Niric posted:

Now, the EU question is a bit more problematic since it's unprecedented, but as I understand it - and this seems to be the position expressed by EU figures - Scotland would not "remain" a member and would have to reapply, so Britain's opt-outs etc would not apply. I strongly suspect Scotland's entry would be fast-tracked, but it's difficult to say at the moment what the terms of the membership would be.

Also note that this bit was really important in the last indyref. There was such uncertainty at the time over whether Scotland could be a part of the EU at all (most likely, eventually, despite Spain's posturing) and whether they'd be able to keep Britain's opt-outs (almost certainly not) or whether they'd just be able to continue membership (this was specifically ruled out by Important EU People), that it was probably one of the biggest reasons for No winning. Now that the choice is take yer chance at EU membership by leaving the UK or definitely lose it by staying, the whole equation has changed.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/Piinklemonade_/status/746412928954314753

Guys help I'm dying.

Thank you Scotland. You have cheered me the gently caress up.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Niric posted:

This does a pretty good job of articulating how I feel, even if I'm still not entirely sold on independence yet. I certainly think another indyref is justified; it's hard to think of a clearer (plausible) case of a material change in circumstance.

One thing to all the Yessers though - and I don't just mean this thread if twitter and common space et al are any indication today - you need to remember that, despite what several columnists appear to be telling themselves, the case for independence hasn't been won on the terms, ideas and arguments made 2 years ago. There's this brewing sense not even of "I told you so," but of something more religious, a belief that all us pissed off No/Remainers have now, or will now, embrace all the Yes campaign said. What's changed is not a sudden acceptance of all the often fanciful, sometimes wrong, occasionally hateful arguments. There's a real misunderstanding prevalent in the various assessments of why people voted no. It wasn't because they were scared or simply frightened of change. It wasn't that the default Obvious Correct Opinion was Yes from which people were somehow perverted. It was that, when offered a choice, many people decided, based on what was offered, that one side had better arguments. What's changed is that the grounding of several of those arguments has been removed. If I vote independence - and right now, this moment, I think I might - it won't be because Yes convinced me, it's not that I now accept that independence will resolve or improve many (perhaps any) of the things it was claimed it would. If i vote independence t'll be because the alternative became appreciably worse.

So, what to you are those issues? Because I'm apparently looking at leaping back on the indy bandwagon, so it's as well to start properly and get winning folk over. :)

Extreme0 - that tweet has been deleted, what'd it say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/rhodri/status/746437441075154944
https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/746316754503221248
https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/746281704957034496

Basically all of that in one tweet. gently caress knows why it was deleted.

• Locked thread