Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Gyra_Solune posted:

i don't get why the markets are flipping the gently caress out over a vote that won't even take effect for several months if not a whole year

Because the only group dumber than 51% of the British electorate is 90% of investors. They are running trying to get ahead of everyone else for what is going to happen in a year while forgetting that there is business to be done on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Probably not. But since Cameron's idea was to set this up only to gather consensus, he definitely could have had this laid out in a different way. A qualified majority instead of 50%+1 could have let him able to maintain his promise, do something that is hardly unheard of and still be pretty sure to "win".

If he had just looked slightly across the pond, he would've found just the sort of precedent he'd need to set up his own failure-free referendum. He just got lazy, I guess.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kleptocrats are moving their money until all the authorities piss off and the dust settles. London is still their heaven, but right now "their poo poo has been messed with". It's not all investment strategy.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Ceiling fan posted:

Because the only group dumber than 51% of the British electorate is 90% of investors. They are running trying to get ahead of everyone else for what is going to happen in a year while forgetting that there is business to be done on Monday.

"Getting ahead of everyone else for what is going to happen in a year," is literally job of an investor. It is exactly what you'd expect them to do, it's not them being dumb.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

i don't get why the markets are flipping the gently caress out over a vote that won't even take effect for several months if not a whole year

like, all the same people are still there. all the same workers will go to work tomorrow with the same jobs doing the same thing. nothing actually changed, legally. and the UK will inevitably be part of more or less the same trade deals and be in the same position as it was previously

so why is everyone like THE UK IS LITERALLY ALREADY hosed FOREVER THEY hosed UP SO BAD ABORT ABORT ABORT, why exactly is being part of the EU or simply being heavily affiliated with it a la Norway such a major deciding factor integral to the fate of the entire country, i legit don't get why all this is happening economics-wise

- UK credit rating went down

- a lot of companies habe already declared that they are leaving the UK or are going to announce soon. These companies' entire business model depends on being in the EU, they literally can not stay.

- whatever agreement the EU and Britain come to, it's gonna be worse than what they have now. British companies are gonna be disadvantaged in the EU market, their most important one.

- Britain is most likely going to experience a depression as a result of all of this

People are freaking out because nobody knows how bad it's gonna get, only that it's gonna be very bad.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

boom boom boom posted:

How on Earth is the United States swinging to the left? Inequality is at crazy levels, social mobility is on the decline, and union membership is in the toilet. Real wages haven't gone up in decades, segregation is coming back, The prisons are stuffed full, miners are getting black lung again, one state is very close to ending public school, in a lot of states it's almost impossible to get an abortion.

The poster was confusing/conflating "left" with "liberal".

Brannock posted:

Ideological predation works, and in this case I'm glad that it is, but if it was your ideology that opponents were "making everyone around you embarassed to know you, ashamed to agree with you, and minimizing your ability to spread your viewpoints until they go ideologically extinct" I think you would object.

Does racism even count as an ideology? It's really just kind of a fallacy.

Gyra_Solune posted:

the economy is loving weird

it's like, it seems like it has nothing to do with the resources available and the skill of the regional population and is far more determined by emotion and weird abstract decisions

like if you made fun of someone and their response is OKAY THAT'S IT, BHUTAN IS GOING THE gently caress DOWN

Probably the concept of value in and of itself is best for getting why economies are the way they are.

It's like someone trying to sell you a trinket: it's one-of-a-kind, no other like it in the world, endorsed by Michael Jordan! So your interest perks up and the item seems valuable to you.

But then you find out he's selling you mass-produced assemblyline stuff from China and the endorsement came from Michael Cletus Jordan from across the street and suddenly its value plummets in your eyes, even if nothing has actually changed with the item.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Who was the last Prime Minister that resigned in this way? Blair resigned did he?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 24, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DO OVERS!

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/746363046214406144

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Nothing like seeing actual consequences to make you start thinking like a grown-up (well, a less stupid child). Shame that it's too little, too late.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

lizardman posted:

The poster was confusing/conflating "left" with "liberal".

Nah, I'm just willing to pull with liberalism on the occasion that it does some good.

lizardman posted:

Does racism even count as an ideology? It's really just kind of a fallacy.

Yes, absolutely. Like any ideology it doesn't actually exist in a pure form in any individual person, but that doesn't disqualify it. And even if it did, conscious racist ideologues are a thing, as are people who don't necessarily care about it in itself but reap economic or social advantages from it and support racist measures out of self-interest -- some of whom, surely, must realize what they're doing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

As dumb as those people are, I will give them some credit for being self aware enough that they actually admit they made a mistake. If you interviewed a Bush voter in 2008 and asked them if they would have done anything different I bet practically none of them would have said yes.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Own up to it. If you voted to be ironic you deserve everything coming to you.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The stock market is much more about betting on the future than anything about the state of the now. Most investors and other entities did not expect for Brexit to happen so what you are seeing is the typical correction-bounceback- new normal series of events. The main question it's of what the new normal will be and that's likely to be very uncertain for months if not years.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

I want to scream all sorts of things at this woman but at least she's brave enough to admit she made a horrible, horrible mistake.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Crossposting since I figured this thread could use at least a glimmer of good news

A Winner is Jew posted:

:laffo:

They are flying Mexican flags in Scotland for Trump’s visit

quote:

Tomorrow, Trump is scheduled to appear in Scotland to unveil a new hotel and golf course at Turnberry in Ayrshire. Two of the golf courses’ neighbors, David Milne and Michael Forbes, are putting up Mexican flags, just so that the Donald will see them on his big day.
“It’s just to show solidarity with the Mexican people,” Milne said, “and everyone else that Trump has derided, insulted and intimidated.”

:scotland::hf::911:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Scots seem like pretty decent people, altogether.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Vermain posted:

NO

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Personal theory: Since this isn't a binding referendum, they will get all the Brexit machinery in order and then hold another 'do you REALLY want to leave the EU?' vote in a year or so.

Hogge Wild posted:

Would you have made these posts if the other side had won?

...big changes requiring large- or super- majorities is sensible. A mandate if you will.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

As someone who has woken up after a night of bad mistakes I feel her pain.

Luckily in my case everything ended up working out :v:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

So is nobody else buying one word of this "protest vote/oh, we were just playvoting" narrative? Seems like blatantly manufactured backpedaling to me.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
You all know the joke about the old goat fucker at the bar? I think my favorite part of this is that David Cameron might do what that guy couldn't. He might make history forget he hosed a pig.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
David Cameron: Destroyer of UK, Fucker of Pigs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

alpha_destroy posted:

You all know the joke about the old goat fucker at the bar? I think my favorite part of this is that David Cameron might do what that guy couldn't. He might make history forget he hosed a pig.

David Cameron wishes his legacy was that he hosed a pig.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vermain posted:

Rather, they're assholes in all the right directions.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

alpha_destroy posted:

Nah it will just get conflated by history so that he destroyed the UK by loving a pig.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

This vote is really bizarre. :psyduck:

You call for a vote on something you didn't want then voted in the way you opposed? Couldn't they have just done a national political canvass survey instead of playing with dynamite?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

David Cameron wishes his legacy was that he hosed a pig.

It will never stop being hilarious if he goes down in history as The Man Who Broke Britain.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

It will never stop being hilarious if he goes down in history as The Man Who Broke Britain.

Except for that part where he broke Britain.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

alpha_destroy posted:

He went from loving a pig to screwing the pooch, it's all the same thing in the end.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Pootybutt posted:

So is nobody else buying one word of this "protest vote/oh, we were just playvoting" narrative? Seems like blatantly manufactured backpedaling to me.

Protest votes happen and are stupid.

Also they didn't use the "LOL! j/K" option.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 24, 2016

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

If Scotland ends up leaving the UK over this and the British economy is adversely impacted as seems likely, David Cameron may become more hated than Tony Blair.

Here's Nicola Sturgeon's full speech basically guaranteeing another independence referendum. I can see why she's so popular up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1moPW7b9mHI

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This vote is really bizarre. :psyduck:

You call for a vote on something you didn't want then voted in the way you opposed? Couldn't they have just done a national political canvass survey instead of playing with dynamite?

It's backpedaling now that their fantasy or joke has had real consequences.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Niton posted:

He went from loving a pig to screwing the pooch, it's all the same thing in the end.

Brexit Buggery Breaks Britain, Buffoons Boast Boon Before Being Boned.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 24, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Personal theory: Since this isn't a binding referendum, they will get all the Brexit machinery in order and then hold another 'do you REALLY want to leave the EU?' vote in a year or so.

That's funny, because Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk would prefer the UK invoking Article 50 next week during the next Council Meeting to get the two-year negotiation period started: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36618317

Waiting for a year without deciding anything would at that point probably cause more damage to both parties than an outright exit within a defined amount of time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Apparently there is already a petition that has reached the required signatures to have a debate on whether there should be a second referendum.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Amgard posted:

Rule by philosopher kings!

But no really, that opinion is ridiculously racist and the stupidest idea in this lovely thread.
Well it's not like in the US you still have lead painting on the wall of low income houses, locking poor people into the lower IQ "voting" range by 20 to 30 point, it's not the 20s anymore. Oh well you do.

quote:

That's funny, because Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk would prefer the UK invoking Article 50 next week during the next Council Meeting to get the two-year negotiation period started: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36618317
And Boris asked Cameron to make the Exit slooooooooooow, didn't he? It's like he is planning to take over the party over the Brexit and then find a way out of the Brexit by some bullshit way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

David Cameron: Destroyer of UK, Fucker of Pigs

"Oy, Davy-boy, you pigfucking kingdomwrecker, how've you been?"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Geostomp posted:

It's backpedaling now that their fantasy or joke has had real consequences.

These idiots sound like those fuckers with the "in the hood" youtube prank videos.

SA>D&D>Brexit: IT'S A PRANK! IT'S A PRANK!

EDIT: except this is real.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Apparently there is already a petition that has reached the required signatures to have a debate on whether there should be a second referendum.

Make it two best out of three, so no one feels like they have been robbed of their precious vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

waitwhatno posted:

Make it two best out of three, so no one feels like they have been robbed of their precious vote.

Also they should make sure to print "no backsies" in bold on the ballot so people understand that voting actually means something.

• Locked thread