Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
what's the EU gonna do with only 1 GB of free space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Do you think the country, any country, would make a good decision if they had access to the big red button that launched the nukes or something?

Doesn't matter. They chose democracy. If they don't like how it goes go back to the full powered monarchy and hope you get and enlightened king.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

David Cameron: "I Proposed, And Still Support, Finecast as Acceptable Warhams"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Decebal posted:

Doesn't matter. They chose democracy. If they don't like how it goes go back to the full powered monarchy and hope you get and enlightened king.

or queen, you sexist.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The polls show a lot of people voting for leave even though they thought it would hurt the economy. So, yeah, pure spiteful racism played a role here.

i dunno I've just kind of hit a boy who cried wolf point with people calling each other bigots over political discrepancies and that's why I was hoping there was some decent journalism on the topic with real numbers and a fair view of each side that didn't just boil down to namecalling.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

or queen, you sexist.

gently caress, I'm sorry !:(

Victoria was an excellent monarch and Britain was at it's peak !

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Vengarr posted:

Realtalk, Cameron calling for this referendum is the greatest political fuckup of the 21st century so far, right?

I dunno. He could have won it, had it not been for Merkel. It was an unwise high stakes gamble either way.

My point being, as far as loving and the uppness of it are concerned, his has to contend with hers, and that's a close race.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
lol if you live in a country that hasn't killed off all it's monarchs

Moltke
May 13, 2009
pretty lol that the common englishman saw the economic cost-benefit analysis of leaving the EU as a "fear tactic" from a left wing conspiracy rather then recognize that it was scary because its a loving dumb thing to do

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Decebal posted:

Letting the citizens of your country actually dictate the future of the country : BIGGEST MISTAKE OF THE 21st CENTURY !

I agree

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Funny reading all the headlines like " EU leaders scramble for options" "EU ministers to hold EMERGENCY meetings !"

Were people that certain that the british will vote Remain ? The odds were 50/50, so how come nobody prepared at all ??

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ArbitraryC posted:

i dunno I've just kind of hit a boy who cried wolf point with people calling each other bigots over political discrepancies and that's why I was hoping there was some decent journalism on the topic with real numbers and a fair view of each side that didn't just boil down to namecalling.

Hey Aritrary, here's the mentality ur looking for:

Decebal posted:

gently caress, I'm sorry !:(

Victoria was an excellent monarch and Britain was at it's peak !

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 24, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Decebal posted:

Funny reading all the headlines like " EU leaders scramble for options" "EU ministers to hold EMERGENCY meetings !"

Were people that certain that the british will vote Remain ? The odds were 50/50, so how come nobody prepared at all ??

even the proponents of the referendum didnt think it'd pass. i dont really know why either but it's true

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

My train station has had a "Syrian family" panhandling for months by yelling in arabic.
They haven't bothered learning a word of the local language, its hilarious.
UK meme chat would suggest they were speaking welsh.

Decebal posted:

Yes. Boris was meant to be a gracious loser.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
what's going to be funny is seeing the repeat of all this when trump rolls into office on his golden chariot

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Decebal posted:

All part of the EU hubris that led to the referendum in the first place.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
what how could this happen?!?! the polls! THE POLLS!!!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hi, I'm david cameron and this is Jack rear end

*plays russian roullette with 1 bullet in magazine fed pistol*

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volume posted:

Basically the uk paid billions upon billions out of its GNI to the EU and in return it's citizens went homeless and hungry and jobless. So the people said "hey maybe we should do something about it" and they did.

so if the next government is Conservative-UKIP coalition and somehow those billions upon billions don't end up feeding the hungry or sheltering the homeless or creating work for the jobless... what then?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The polls show a lot of people voting for leave even though they thought it would hurt the economy. So, yeah, pure spiteful racism played a role here.

Some people may have over-estimated how much the average public cares about hurting the economy. If you're a 65+ pensioner, or a guy from the north east looking at 10% regional unemployment, or a middle-aged worker who's never recovered from the last 8 years, maybe you feel like it's already pretty bad. Maybe you're ok with you own lot getting a bit worse if it spreads the pain around.

Plenty of people sure do believe the reason they're hurting is because those immigrants are taking all the money and jobs. But did any of the financial elite step up and say, "oh sorry, it's really our fault. the immigrants don't have anything to do with it. you can stop hating them now and direct your anger at us instead?" I must have missed it.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

4outof5 posted:

Stupid commoners need us white liberal heroes to save them from themselves.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Youre finally starting to come around :)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

iraq 2 was probably a worse call

That's foreign policy though, it didn't even hurt Bush politically. He still won a second term even.

Decebal posted:

Letting the citizens of your country actually dictate the future of the country : BIGGEST MISTAKE OF THE 21st CENTURY !

It is when you only held the referendum to solidify the UK's status in the EU because you were certain there was no way it could fail. That's a hilarious blunder.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can the Falklands stay in the EU?

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.
I hope when the uk economy crashes in a few that argentina will use the opportunity to finally take the malvinas islands back, they deserve it more than england does.

Actually they should go ahead and take south georgia and the sandwiches too.

Turkeybro fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 24, 2016

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I'm picturing Nigel and Boris in some swanky Chelsea apartment just going to town on each others balls in a totally platonic act of celebration and Nigel pops his head up all Meerkat like and says"we loving won Boris" and Boris is like "stfu and keep at it I'm about to nut." thanks for reading,

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Klyith posted:

so if the next government is Conservative-UKIP coalition and somehow those billions upon billions don't end up feeding the hungry or sheltering the homeless or creating work for the jobless... what then?

Some people may have over-estimated how much the average public cares about hurting the economy. If you're a 65+ pensioner, or a guy from the north east looking at 10% regional unemployment, or a middle-aged worker who's never recovered from the last 8 years, maybe you feel like it's already pretty bad. Maybe you're ok with you own lot getting a bit worse if it spreads the pain around.

Plenty of people sure do believe the reason they're hurting is because those immigrants are taking all the money and jobs. But did any of the financial elite step up and say, "oh sorry, it's really our fault. the immigrants don't have anything to do with it. you can stop hating them now and direct your anger at us instead?" I must have missed it.

Hmm you'd think someone would connect the dots when you see that the immigrants that are taking ALL ARE JOBS and ALL ARE MONEY are as poor or POORER than current residents.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

4outof5 posted:

How does this effect the market for war hammer miniatures?!?!?!?!

The pound sterling will be abandoned in favor of the Citadel Miniature Finecast® standard.

Edit: Holy poo poo, I can't believe I was beat to that lovely joke!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Letting a simple majority deicde your "leave the big deal thing" referendum is really dumb. Americans couldn't do anything aproxximating something of this magnitude without an overwhelming 2/3 majority, and for some things it's just simply unlikely to happen period. The option is technically there but the procession of politics as usual all but guarantees something really loving lunatic-batshit can't be decided by half the country, dragging the other full near half with it into absolute ruin. In it a do-or-die decision that the nation is more or less okay with, it happens, gotta live with it.

In no reality should this have been a simple majority vote, even as a non-binding referendum, yes should have reuqired some overwhelming threshold.

And yeah, direct democracy is usually poo poo, your parliamentary system is there to give you elected officials with a voice instead of giving you a direct voice very often, as clearly you have quite a bit of worthless noise.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I am utterly dumbfounded that so many brits are genuinely shocked by their economy tanking about Brexit. What did they think was going to happen?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Mayor of Calais already telling the brits that they have to take that huge migrant camp (they themselves allowed to form) on to British soil now . Lol good luck France !

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36626553

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
edit

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how many "people shouldnt be able to vote for how their country is run" opinions would be popping up if remain had won

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Danger Mahoney posted:

I wonder how many "people shouldnt be able to vote for how their country is run" opinions would be popping up if remain had won

regardless, cameron letting the vote happen was certainly very stupid for his own prospects

Aug 4, 2010

hoping london declares independence and lets the rest of england rot

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Danger Mahoney posted:

the people would have spoken, were remain to have won. since leave won, the will of the people has been subverted and/or democracy just doesnt work

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

regardless, cameron letting the vote happen was certainly very stupid for his own prospects

I doubt he will suffer personally. He can meet with Blair so they can discuss bad decisions together

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Turkeybro posted:

I hope when the uk economy crashes in a few that argentina will use the opportunity to finally take the malvinas islands back, they deserve it more than england does.

Actually they should go ahead and take south georgia and the sandwiches too.

You vastly overestimate Argentina's military power.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

hemophilia posted:

Letting a simple majority deicde your "leave the big deal thing" referendum is really dumb. Americans couldn't do anything aproxximating something of this magnitude without an overwhelming 2/3 majority
Yeah and your country is worse for it imo.

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Hey you, with the plain wrong facts one post ago, you're wondering alot, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

jBrereton posted:

Yeah and your country is worse for it imo.

better to rule in a sinking island nation than have to tolerate another paki moving in

• Locked thread