Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The mac pro sales must have been terrible
I am so sad I convinced us to get tricked out Mac Pros in 2015 for my edit suite. It was an easy thing to sink into our workflow since we're an Apple shop primarily and IT sucks, but now I need GPU upgrades and Windows for VR dev.
edit: Given, 10Gbps TB2 adapters and huge storage arrays over TB2 was an upgrade from eSATA drives; absolutely love the internal disk speed- we just need a fresh iteration.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
If I had to guess, they're probably selling less than 10000 Mac Pros a year. A 5K iMac is already better than the base Mac Pro in many ways and includes a display. Who knows how long the Mac Pro niche will continue to exist? Would be nice to see them update it, still.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is anyone buying a base Mac Pro? I know 5 guys who own one and they all have the 6gb GPU's and 8 or 12 cores.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I hate to sound like Macrumors.txt but maybe this actually just is a product of having the 'money and operations' guy become the CEO- especially in the face of what looks to be a mammoth electric vehicle undertaking along with all of the iOS/Watch/more popular Mac stuff that they make. If Apple were willing to invest a relatively paltry (for their cash warchest) amount in fostering the development of Mac Pro-specific peripherals and upgrades like GPUs, it would go a tremendous way toward generating more consumer goodwill towards the Mac Pro.

As it stands right now, it's kind of an ouroboros of bullshit and non-starts.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Not updating it for literally 3 years isn't helping.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

1st AD posted:

Is anyone buying a base Mac Pro? I know 5 guys who own one and they all have the 6gb GPU's and 8 or 12 cores.

Reminds me of MKBHD's hackintosh video -- I feel like a good deal of the audience that pertains to the Mac Pro knows hackintosh is a thing, and can build a comparable PC for much less money. The only trade off to me is fan noise, unless one splurges on a full water cooling setup.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Eh, I have a Hackintosh and after messing with it for a couple weeks I just said gently caress it and installed Windows and just do my work on my Macbook Pro, then RDP into the PC and send the assets off for rendering.

My friends who have a Mac Pro know Hackintosh is a thing and really don't want to be bothered, also they're much more successful than I am at photography and video and earn enough income to where the effort isn't worth it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The downtown Boston Apple store's had one on display since it launched. It's a unique, attractive machine and I was initially taken aback by how tiny it actually is in real life.

Here's hoping Thunderbolt 3 + the new Xeons + the possibility of a display refresh means Apple breathes some life into it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As it stands right now, it's kind of an ouroboros of bullshit and non-starts.

Yeah, it doesn't feel like a seriously supported (as in regular upgrades) product.

enojy posted:

Reminds me of MKBHD's hackintosh video -- I feel like a good deal of the audience that pertains to the Mac Pro knows hackintosh is a thing, and can build a comparable PC for much less money. The only trade off to me is fan noise, unless one splurges on a full water cooling setup.

The tradeoff for me as in all things Mac is rather that there's no fiddling involved, I can have a configuration that's guaranteed to work on the table within a guaranteed time frame, and if I have the slightest problem with it, I can have it looked at pretty soon. It also has a certain build quality and looks good. Basically their products are all no-brainers.

Case in point: I got an NVIDIA GTX 1080 for my PC, and it was absolutely impossible to install the graphics driver without disabling the iGPU. (The default cure-all of the clueless, "reinstall Windows" would not have fixed it.) I found this by googling, otherwise I would have had to run it with Windows default drivers. Other fun situations have included not being able to use a new CPU because the new motherboard's BIOS needs to be flashed, but not being able to flash the BIOS without a CPU in it. Building your own PC is all fine and overall great for games, but it's not something I'd recommend to people who need a task done within a given time frame. It's more of an adventure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flavor posted:

Building your own PC is all fine and overall great for games, but it's not something I'd recommend to people who need a task done within a given time frame. It's more of an adventure.

Sure, but can't you buy prebuilt PCs that have all the right drivers installed and so forth?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, but can't you buy prebuilt PCs that have all the right drivers installed and so forth?

Yeah, but I was replying to somebody talking about how cheap it is to build PCs. Also if you buy prebuilt, you still have to deal with all the garbage when you want to upgrade parts and if that's not an issue, the quality of the support (if any) is one.

I don't want to turn this into a PC vs Mac advocacy discussion. To me, they're both different philosophies with different tradeoffs and hardware is just a one aspect.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I feel like the Mac Pro design we got should have been the new mini and they should have continued making cheese graters with updated internals for those who needed them but I'm not at the same pay grade as an Apple exec so

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

8ender posted:

I feel like the Mac Pro design we got should have been the new mini and they should have continued making cheese graters with updated internals for those who needed them but I'm not at the same pay grade as an Apple exec so

That'd be the dream. An i3 and iris in a tiny little cylinder would make a lot more sense. Actual 'Pro' users usually are tied to a desk with 1 - 5 displays and other peripherals. A tower isn't a bad idea in that circumstance. Cylinder would look really nice in HTPC / general office use.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What would have the power to comfortably work with Photoshop/Lightroom/Maya while using Astropad?

Ideally I wouldn't want a laptop as I have my iPad Pro for that kind of stuff and and iMac would be nice but I have an ultrawide monitor I'd rather use.

That kind of leaves the Mac mini and Mac Pro but those are both in awkward positions and so am I by the looks of it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ijyt posted:

What would have the power to comfortably work with Photoshop/Lightroom/Maya while using Astropad?

Ideally I wouldn't want a laptop as I have my iPad Pro for that kind of stuff and and iMac would be nice but I have an ultrawide monitor I'd rather use.

That kind of leaves the Mac mini and Mac Pro but those are both in awkward positions and so am I by the looks of it.

Just get something with a Retina display.

If you're cross shopping a Mac Mini and Mac Pro, then I assume you can afford every [common] flavor of rMBP or iMac.

Consider either a 13" or 15" rMBP connected to your ultrawide (but probably not hi-res) monitor or a 5K 27" iMac, which could also be connected to the display- the resolution differences may bug you, however.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Posting from a Mac Pro. It's still a nice machine for Xcode, and matching dual retina monitors is a godsend on the eyes.

Fan noise is amazing for audio. We had an old setup where we remoted a cheese grater across the hall just so our audio lab would be usable. With the MP in there we could have dual monitors / peripherals all attached and convenient.

That said, had it been my money I couldn't have afforded it, and would have bought an iMac.

And holy poo poo three years without a bump. I mean come on.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Regarding replacing the processor in a 4,1 (well, now 5,1...) Mac Pro, once I've cleaned the heatsink, is Gelid GC Extreme ok to use? I'm assuming so and have a tube of it lying around but wanted to check in and see if there'd be any reason to use a conductive TIM.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So this may need to go in the hardware thread, but I figured its worth a try. I bit the bullet and got my rMBP. Trying to learn Mac from Windows. I would like for the computer to just come on when I open it up. Is that an option? Or do I have to enter a password every time (even if that password is blank)?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snowmankilla posted:

So this may need to go in the hardware thread, but I figured its worth a try. I bit the bullet and got my rMBP. Trying to learn Mac from Windows. I would like for the computer to just come on when I open it up. Is that an option? Or do I have to enter a password every time (even if that password is blank)?

Go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy and turn off the Require Password option!

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy and turn off the Require Password option!

drat it. So easy! I was in users and could not figure it out. Thanks,

2 days in and I am really digging it. It is also so pretty and well put together it makes me happy every time I use it. The only negative is that between my new Macbook, my iPad and my wife having an iPhone, I am wondering how long I can stay #neveriPhone when my Samsung is up for a upgrade.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Snowmankilla posted:

2 days in and I am really digging it. It is also so pretty and well put together it makes me happy every time I use it. The only negative is that between my new Macbook, my iPad and my wife having an iPhone, I am wondering how long I can stay #neveriPhone when my Samsung is up for a upgrade.

Ha. Honestly I would recommend switching not necessarily because it's better (it is for me, but everybody's different!) but because it's nice to have features working together when your loved ones are on iOS. Having said that I'd skip this year's iPhone and buy next year if you want a flagship model.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Yeah, I am not due for about 5 months, so I can wait for a big upgrade.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Snowmankilla posted:

Yeah, I am not due for about 5 months, so I can wait for a big upgrade.

Until recently (less than a year ago) the only Apple device I owned was an iPad. I had an Asus windows computer and a HTC smartphone. The iPhone works together so well with macs it's hard to imagine ever getting a different phone, even though I think the latest Samsung phones look amazing. iCloud photo library and Airdrop are really great especially.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
iMessage SMS forwarding is a killer feature as well. My texts are now much longer than my android/Windows/Luddite friends' now, though. :ohdear:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Snowmankilla posted:

I have a MacBook Pro, iPad Mini and an iPhone but other than syncing music with iTunes I don't use any of the other stuff to link them. iMessage, iCloud, Safari shared bookmarks...None of it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I have a MacBook Pro, iPad Mini and an iPhone but other than syncing music with iTunes I don't use any of the other stuff to link them. iMessage, iCloud, Safari shared bookmarks...None of it.

Why would you do this to yourself?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I Am Crake posted:

..even though I think the latest Samsung phones look amazing.

Looks can be deceiving. My wife has last years model, and the one before that previously, and while they appear to be decent units on the surface I don't think I deal with a single piece of hardware that frustrates me so much.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh I really hope they're not actually doing the Thunderbolt Display with eGPU thing, that's like the worst possible choice they could make for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Why?!!!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tuyop posted:

I don't do the same stuff on my iPhone as my computer. And my iPad is used by my girlfriend at home.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

http://slickdeals.net/f/8866975-app...-asc-fs-bestbuy

Current model 11" Air is $599 with $100 student coupon @ Best Buy

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

wdarkk posted:

Ugh I really hope they're not actually doing the Thunderbolt Display with eGPU thing, that's like the worst possible choice they could make for me.

It is by far the most plausible idea for a real Apple product involving external GPU support I have ever seen. If you want generic eGPU, you actually want this product to be real even if you aren't going to buy it, simply because it will require macOS support for hot-plug GPUs and that should help third party solutions.

Or is it that you want a 5k Thunderbolt Display and don't want it to have a captive GPU?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Or is it that you want a 5k Thunderbolt Display and don't want it to have a captive GPU?

This. Does anyone make a high-dpi 21:9 monitor?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BobHoward posted:

It is by far the most plausible idea for a real Apple product involving external GPU support I have ever seen. If you want generic eGPU, you actually want this product to be real even if you aren't going to buy it, simply because it will require macOS support for hot-plug GPUs and that should help third party solutions.

Yeah eGPU support is the main reason I want this to be real (...even though I might never get one and instead blow my money on a Skylake-EP Mac Pro if that becomes a thing next year)

wdarkk posted:

This. Does anyone make a high-dpi 21:9 monitor?
If you want 6880x2880 like I do, nope :(. I'll probably just settle for a normal res 21:9 eventually rather than a 4-5K display, easier to drive and arguably more usable space. Too bad they're still pricey :argh:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah I'm not sure what the big complaint is since nothing really runs single stream connections yet. Once they can you'll see the second iteration probably drop the GPU.

Also, Dell already sells this monitor if someone wants to buy it now (Apple isn't going to sell a 21:9 anytime soon either).

I'm just stoked because it means I can just leave my gaming PC hooked up to the TV downstairs (where my spouse plays) and use a new laptop as my single PC with a dock if I want to game on my monitor.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Bob Morales posted:

tuyop posted:

To be able to say that.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a mid-2009 MBP that I want to install an SSD in. I've looked at some guides online but I just want to confirm that it's easy as:

1) Externally plugging in the new SSD and copying the HD image over (Any recommendation on software I should use for this?)
2) Installing the new SSD into the MBP

The two SSD's that I've looked at are the following and I'm wondering why there is such a big difference between the price. I will more than likely just go with the cheaper Crucial one unless anyone here has any suggestions.

Crucial BX200 240GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - $64.99 - https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX20...n%3A14027458011

Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD - $93.77 - https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-...n%3A14027458011

I also would need to buy a USB - SATA cable like this, correct? - https://www.amazon.com/Lumsing-Speed-Adapter-Cable-22Pin/dp/B01440BTS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466810790&sr=8-2&keywords=ssd+cable+usb

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Busy Bee posted:

I have a mid-2009 MBP that I want to install an SSD in. I've looked at some guides online but I just want to confirm that it's easy as:

1) Externally plugging in the new SSD and copying the HD image over (Any recommendation on software I should use for this?)
2) Installing the new SSD into the MBP

The two SSD's that I've looked at are the following and I'm wondering why there is such a big difference between the price. I will more than likely just go with the cheaper Crucial one unless anyone here has any suggestions.

Crucial BX200 240GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - $64.99 - https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX20...n%3A14027458011

Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD - $93.77 - https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-...n%3A14027458011

I also would need to buy a USB - SATA cable like this, correct? - https://www.amazon.com/Lumsing-Speed-Adapter-Cable-22Pin/dp/B01440BTS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466810790&sr=8-2&keywords=ssd+cable+usb

I mean, it should be as easy as booting into a Linux USB and in terminal dding the original drive to the new one. Whether this will work with the recovery partition and boot loader and drive UUIDs and all the assorted craziness, who knows? You should probably just backup to time machine, swap drives, then restore from time machine. That's kind of what it's for.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Busy Bee posted:

Installing an SSD.....

I actually just did this with my girlfriend's machine using that same cable, a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO and the free trial of carbon copy cloner. Super easy to do.

Also get the 850 EVO. It's the standard recommendation for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Viper_3000 posted:

I actually just did this with my girlfriend's machine using that same cable, a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO and the free trial of carbon copy cloner. Super easy to do.

Also get the 850 EVO. It's the standard recommendation for a reason.

Good to know, thank you.