Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

Like I said, I'm not really aware of the details in Europe, hence why I asked
Imagine if the USA had gone all STATE RIGHTS in the 19th century. It's the EU, and it's too much for some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Toplowtech posted:

Imagine if the USA had gone all STATE RIGHTS in the 19th century. It's the EU, and it's too much for some.

We kind of did.

Wait that was the 18th century 😅

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

We kind of did.

Wait that was the 18th century 😅

Nope 19th was 1800s, definitely the big boom of MUH STATE RIGHTS. Also the early 20th to a lesser degree.

The real test for the UK is not whether leaving the EU will harm lgbt rights (it won't meaningfully) but whether the right wing movement it represents gains additional power in the government, which very likely would. This would be helped along by Scotland buggering off and taking its base of Tory-hating highlanders with it, as sympathetic as I am to that particular movement.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Quorum posted:

Nope 19th was 1800s, definitely the big boom of MUH STATE RIGHTS. Also the early 20th to a lesser degree.

The real test for the UK is not whether leaving the EU will harm lgbt rights (it won't meaningfully) but whether the right wing movement it represents gains additional power in the government, which very likely would. This would be helped along by Scotland buggering off and taking its base of Tory-hating highlanders with it, as sympathetic as I am to that particular movement.

The Articles of Confederation were about actual states' rights, and was in the 18th century.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

Half the EU has 0 meaningful LGBT protections. Some members are even actively antagonistic. The UK happens to be a leader in LGBT rights within the union as it turns out.

Of course the parties backing brexit aren't known for being LGBT friendly.
This. The biggest worry is that Brexit emboldens fascists (it already did enough to cause one of them to assassinate a Labour MP and refugee rights campaigner), but the UK government has done a lot more for LGBT rights than the EU.

And if Northern Ireland splits off over Brexit, Britain would be even more LGBT friendly, since they're easily the worst of the constituent nations. That's not really a win for folks that still have to live there though.

Plus Brexit will cause economic uncertainty, and economic uncertainty + emboldened fash usually = bad things.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
More terrible news from the Italian north-east, which make me wish I had never started following national LGBT news

Previously: Treviso, a city in the bigoted north-east that had been under a fascist administration for 19 years (not a figure of speech, actual outspoken fascists), attempted to sabotage their pride parade with a last minute change of route. To make it worse, a local skinhead organization festooned the city in threatening banners and released an indignant statement with terrible grammar, echoed by veiled threats from the former (fascist) mayor. Unknown people posted homophobic, sometimes violent propaganda leaflets, as well. The local newspaper reported on the situation in an - at best - ignorant fashion. A nazi-sympathizing preacher (kicked out of an antisemitic sect that had been, in turn, kicked out of the Catholic church) promised a special mass the day after the parade to placate god (yes it's all real). One of the sponsors (a winery) received a bizarre, incoherent threatening letter: "WE READ ON THE NEWSPAPERS THAT ON JUNE 18TH YOU'LL SIDE WITH THE GAYPRIDE. NO RACISM BUT A SIMPLE OBSERVATION. PECULIAR THINGS ARE ALWAYS ACCUSTOMED TO PECULIARITIES ESPECIALLY FOODSTUFFS. DOUBTS ARISE ABOUT THE MANAGEMENT.........SINCERELY YOURS, THE NORMALS". It reads like it was typed on an Ouija board

Anyway, the parade was held (hooray), structured around a mock religious procession (pictured below), and culminating in a minute of silence for Orlando. A black tie "sobriety show" closed the event

Guy in black was a Closeted Angel (he wears a veil because in Italian we call the closeted "veiled") and was giving out parody holy cards (more on this later); he's wearing a sign that says "Beyond-suspicion looking for out-of-the-loop" (infamous "no homo" codewords found in classifieds)

A loving prayer group was the extent of the opposition they faced - probably because the police chief deployed every single man he could, up to and including the forest rangers

Pictured above: normal people. They were forbidden from carrying signs due to the heightened security risk (you'll see that they did bring signs, so they probably didn't ask for permission beforehand and had to be told by a nice plainclothes agent to keep them rolled up. It seems they represented a well known religious organization from nearby Vicenza)

Sure, one of the organizers was assaulted after the parade, but nothing serious. Whew

And now, the update: neo-nazi organization Christus Rex claims credit for a "sober" pride parade in Treviso, a parade "without any particularly indecent exposure, displays of nudity, sapphic snoggings or worse" (emphasis mine. jfc). They then take offense at a parody holy card circulated at the parade (pictured below), threatening to file a complaint. Finally, they say they find pride parades "unseasonable carnivals" that the recent approval of civil unions has made "even more pointless displays of vices against nature", and that whoever approved the event is an "accomplice to the sinful procession" and should perform an "examination of conscience, if they still have one". I feel like I get stupider with every piece of fascist garbage I read. "Sapphic snoggings", mother of god

The blasphemous holy card:

It reads: "Saint Freegida Protector of the Closet Cases". gently caress it I'm not translating the prayer on the back (it's terrible doggerel). It seems there was a second icon, for a "Saint Liberalino", but I can't find it. In a hilarious twist, this scan, the only I could find, was published by Christus Rex. Thank you fascists for preserving this amusing cultural artifact

Lest you think I throw around words like "fascist" and "neo-nazi" carelessly:
https://twitter.com/matteocastagna3/status/670905282202099712
Matteo Castagna (right), president of Christus Rex, at a conference titled "Terrorism, Isis and Islam: the roots of evil"

In other terrible north-east news: a 16 year old boy in Trieste got a broken nose after a gay-bashing attack. Guy who was with him fled the scene so he called his mother to pick him up. A guy, identifying himself as the attacker's cousin, threatened the boy's mother with death if she called the police. Another guy phoned her while they were at the hospital, and threatened her again. She did, in fact, call the police

Previously in my city, my borough elected a far right president. As his first action, he refused to fly the rainbow flag during pride week, as specified in a council resolution, implying that we should consider the resolution as good as dead now that he controls a majority that's against it

Update: hahaha suck it, the seat of the council is now flying the rainbow flag after a successful appeal presented by Yuri Guaiana, former deputy president of the borough council, of the Radical Party (Italy's lone liberal party, responsible for - among other things - legal abortion and legal divorce; currently, fighting for legal weed and engaged in an ongoing effort of ex-con rehabilitation. Love them). I like to picture incoming president Samuele Piscina, babyfaced yuppie from far right party Northern League, as a blubbering, literally shaking mess at the news. By the way, today I learned that he's a racist shithead who celebrated our independence day (April 25th, the day the fascist regime fell) with his party buddies by ineptly (and illegally I might add) demolishing the (empty!) shacks of the recently evicted local nomad camp (which of course repopulated not long after because our housing projects are a farce); witness the pathetic escapade (reminder that Piscina is the babyfaced yuppie whose balls probably hadn't even dropped yet)

e: I just read one of his press releases, wow. It starts with "The terrorism SOS has been launched a long time ago, but the disorder of the Padova Street melting pot keeps reigning supreme. In these peripheral arteries the blood of victims, guilty and innocent, never stopped flowing. Not just gang fights, even improvised with broken bottles to win territory, but the consequences of these fights: deaths by drugs, alcohol, prostitution or desperation". Gee Piscina, you make it sound like I must be tough as gently caress to live in such a dangerous area (I'm not and it isn't). So what do you propo-"contrasting squatters, closing and evicting social centers, elimination of all nomad camps, regular and irregular, within city limits in the span of 1 year" er, what about the gangs though, they sound dang-"Obviously, we will oppose the creation of new mosques according to current regional regulations and we will work to close all irregular centers of worship in the city". I'm honestly surprised at how blatant the non sequitur is, somehow going from terrorism and gang wars to squatters, social centers, nomad camps and mosques, things that are completely unrelated with each other except as scary "others"

Tomorrow: :nyan::siren:THE PRIDE PARADE IS COMING TO TOWN:siren::gifttank:. No threats or security warnings that I know of, and the weather should be decent. It's a huge event with super-high-profile sponsors (among which Microsoft and Google) so I expect it will be smooth sailing

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 25, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

hackbunny posted:

More terrible news from the Italian north-east, which make me wish I had never started following national LGBT news

Previously: Treviso, a city in the bigoted north-east that had been under a fascist administration for 19 years (not a figure of speech, actual outspoken fascists), attempted to sabotage their pride parade with a last minute change of route. To make it worse, a local skinhead organization festooned the city in threatening banners and released an indignant statement with terrible grammar, echoed by veiled threats from the former (fascist) mayor. Unknown people posted homophobic, sometimes violent propaganda leaflets, as well. The local newspaper reported on the situation in an - at best - ignorant fashion. A nazi-sympathizing preacher (kicked out of an antisemitic sect that had been, in turn, kicked out of the Catholic church) promised a special mass the day after the parade to placate god (yes it's all real). One of the sponsors (a winery) received a bizarre, incoherent threatening letter: "WE READ ON THE NEWSPAPERS THAT ON JUNE 18TH YOU'LL SIDE WITH THE GAYPRIDE. NO RACISM BUT A SIMPLE OBSERVATION. PECULIAR THINGS ARE ALWAYS ACCUSTOMED TO PECULIARITIES ESPECIALLY FOODSTUFFS. DOUBTS ARISE ABOUT THE MANAGEMENT.........SINCERELY YOURS, THE NORMALS". It reads like it was typed on an Ouija board

Anyway, the parade was held (hooray), structured around a mock religious procession (pictured below), and culminating in a minute of silence for Orlando. A black tie "sobriety show" closed the event

Guy in black was a Closeted Angel (he wears a veil because in Italian we call the closeted "veiled") and was giving out parody holy cards (more on this later); he's wearing a sign that says "Beyond-suspicion looking for out-of-the-loop" (infamous "no homo" codewords found in classifieds)

A loving prayer group was the extent of the opposition they faced - probably because the police chief deployed every single man he could, up to and including the forest rangers

Pictured above: normal people. They were forbidden from carrying signs due to the heightened security risk (you'll see that they did bring signs, so they probably didn't ask for permission beforehand and had to be told by a nice plainclothes agent to keep them rolled up. It seems they represented a well known religious organization from nearby Vicenza)

Sure, one of the organizers was assaulted after the parade, but nothing serious. Whew

And now, the update: neo-nazi organization Christus Rex claims credit for a "sober" pride parade in Treviso, a parade "without any particularly indecent exposure, displays of nudity, sapphic snoggings or worse" (emphasis mine. jfc). They then take offense at a parody holy card circulated at the parade (pictured below), threatening to file a complaint. Finally, they say they find pride parades "unseasonable carnivals" that the recent approval of civil unions has made "even more pointless displays of vices against nature", and that whoever approved the event is an "accomplice to the sinful procession" and should perform an "examination of conscience, if they still have one". I feel like I get stupider with every piece of fascist garbage I read. "Sapphic snoggings", mother of god

The blasphemous holy card:

It reads: "Saint Freegida Protector of the Closet Cases". gently caress it I'm not translating the prayer on the back (it's terrible doggerel). It seems there was a second icon, for a "Saint Liberalino", but I can't find it. In a hilarious twist, this scan, the only I could find, was published by Christus Rex. Thank you fascists for preserving this amusing cultural artifact

Lest you think I throw around words like "fascist" and "neo-nazi" carelessly:
https://twitter.com/matteocastagna3/status/670905282202099712
Matteo Castagna (right), president of Christus Rex, at a conference titled "Terrorism, Isis and Islam: the roots of evil"

In other terrible north-east news: a 16 year old boy in Trieste got a broken nose after a gay-bashing attack. Guy who was with him fled the scene so he called his mother to pick him up. A guy, identifying himself as the attacker's cousin, threatened the boy's mother with death if she called the police. Another guy phoned her while they were at the hospital, and threatened her again. She did, in fact, call the police

Previously in my city, my borough elected a far right president. As his first action, he refused to fly the rainbow flag during pride week, as specified in a council resolution, implying that we should consider the resolution as good as dead now that he controls a majority that's against it

Update: hahaha suck it, the seat of the council is now flying the rainbow flag after a successful appeal presented by Yuri Guaiana, former deputy president of the borough council, of the Radical Party (Italy's lone liberal party, responsible for - among other things - legal abortion and legal divorce; currently, fighting for legal weed and engaged in an ongoing effort of ex-con rehabilitation. Love them). I like to picture incoming president Samuele Piscina, babyfaced yuppie from far right party Northern League, as a blubbering, literally shaking mess at the news. By the way, today I learned that he's a racist shithead who celebrated our independence day (April 25th, the day the fascist regime fell) with his party buddies by ineptly (and illegally I might add) demolishing the (empty!) shacks of the recently evicted local nomad camp (which of course repopulated not long after because our housing projects are a farce); witness the pathetic escapade (reminder that Piscina is the babyfaced yuppie whose balls probably hadn't even dropped yet)

e: I just read one of his press releases, wow. It starts with "The terrorism SOS has been launched a long time ago, but the disorder of the Padova Street melting pot keeps reigning supreme. In these peripheral arteries the blood of victims, guilty and innocent, never stopped flowing. Not just gang fights, even improvised with broken bottles to win territory, but the consequences of these fights: deaths by drugs, alcohol, prostitution or desperation". Gee Piscina, you make it sound like I must be tough as gently caress to live in such a dangerous area (I'm not and it isn't). So what do you propo-"contrasting squatters, closing and evicting social centers, elimination of all nomad camps, regular and irregular, within city limits in the span of 1 year" er, what about the gangs though, they sound dang-"Obviously, we will oppose the creation of new mosques according to current regional regulations and we will work to close all irregular centers of worship in the city". I'm honestly surprised at how blatant the non sequitur is, somehow going from terrorism and gang wars to squatters, social centers, nomad camps and mosques, things that are completely unrelated with each other except as scary "others"

Tomorrow: :nyan::siren:THE PRIDE PARADE IS COMING TO TOWN:siren::gifttank:. No threats or security warnings that I know of, and the weather should be decent. It's a huge event with super-high-profile sponsors (among which Microsoft and Google) so I expect it will be smooth sailing

This is amazing and I wish you all the best tomorrow. I really want to see pics of the parade so please post them!!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Another June another round of "DAE think Pride is too over the top/does not reflect well on my white gay masc personality?" angst :cripes:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 27, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

Another June another round of "DAE think Pride is too over the top/does not reflect well on my white gay masc personality?" gripes :cripes:

I don't know what the gently caress these people are smoking. Like 99.9% percent of the people at the parade look unremarkable and boring and not even that festive! For long stretches, it would be impossible to tell it was a pride parade, if it weren't for the banners, flags and rainbow accessories. There is a tiny, tiny, like <1% minority of people in fetish/club wear and performers and of course they alone turn the whole event into an open air orgy of a hundred thousand (... if only)

I'm almost sorry this year I didn't bust out the platform boots and miniskirt, it seems every year it gets more important to queer out as hard as possible before the no-fun-allowed brigade stuffs us back into the closet

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

What is DAE, I legitimately have no idea on that one and all it turns up is Digital Audio Extraction/Exchange/Editor and airports.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea what DAE is but every Pride for the past couple years I've heard from a small subset of gay men (it is always just gay men) that hey we've achieved all our goals so why not tone down all the prancing around do we really need the parades anymore they just block traffic and annoy people guys.

I hate the term 'straight acting' but really they're the sort of people that are most behind that. Or they just hate fun and street parties.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

they just want to reify their internalized homophobia and disdain for "those" kind of gays

DAE = does anyone else

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

Oh it absolutely was. Specifically, Nelson Mandela worked with and got to know people in the gay rights groups who were allied with the ANC when it was an underground illegal organization. Even though there was still conservative opposition to homosexuality in the country, Mandela and the leaders of the ANC didn't abandon them when it came time to write the constitution.

A similar thing happened in the United States with the Black Panther Party, well its leader Huey P. Newton anyway the party was very divided on a lot of things. When Huey was in prison he encountered many homosexuals, and after he got to know them and how they wee treated by American society he saw a common struggle. This was quite unique as at the time "the left" was dominated by groups that viewed homosexuality as bourgeois deviations, some banned homosexuals from being members, and at least one the RCP actively harassed and victimised members that were Gay.

Guavanaut posted:

This. The biggest worry is that Brexit emboldens fascists (it already did enough to cause one of them to assassinate a Labour MP and refugee rights campaigner), but the UK government has done a lot more for LGBT rights than the EU.

And if Northern Ireland splits off over Brexit, Britain would be even more LGBT friendly, since they're easily the worst of the constituent nations. That's not really a win for folks that still have to live there though.

Plus Brexit will cause economic uncertainty, and economic uncertainty + emboldened fash usually = bad things.

Not really, if Ulster does secede it will start unifying with the Republic of Ireland. Ulster is divided between those who want unification with Britain which includes most of the Presbyterian fundamentalists and the DUP who hate Gays and believe in witches*, or unification with Ireland and they for the most part are more friendly to homosexuals. So if a referendum leads to a leaving the UK it would mean that eventually Northern Ireland would come into line with the Republic of Ireland.

Also a reminder Northern Ireland actually voted for same sex marriage last year, the DUP blocked with a veto. Annoyingly enough the veto mechanism was setup to protect minority rights in Northern Ireland, specifically legislation can be blocked if it doesn't have enough support from both Catholic and Protestant communities and the margin was quite narrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/02/northern-ireland-assembly-votes-to-legalise-same-sex-marriage

"Under the complex rules of power sharing in the region, parties from either the unionist or nationalist community can use this mechanism if they feel there is not enough backing from Protestants or Catholics for particular legislation. It was designed to ensure no one community dominated the other following the 1998 Belfast agreement"

*Though the fear of witchcraft is a fringe issue to be fair, and there are some unionists who are pro gay rights or just ambivalent, and some republicans who are anti gay, its not a clean split.

Edit: I see blood donation has come up recently in the thread. I'm bisexual and have donated blood multiple times and bone marrow once, the tests for HIV are just as reliable as the tests for chlamydia (a very common STI in my area, mostly amongst heterosexual couples)and it hasn't been a problem. I don't know how blood tests are done in America but in the UK they fill two bags, one a small sample that is taken away for testing and the larger donation. The donation doesn't get used until all the tests come back negative.

Oh and I also found this article on the issue in the USA that addresses some of the concerns given here.

http://medicalreview.columbia.edu/article/ban-the-ban/#fn-242-5

The US also banned Haitians from donating blood because of high HIV rates, they decided in 1990 however that testing was accurate enough all the way back in 1990. It also details what happened when Italy dropped the deferment period.

nothing

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 27, 2016

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

This is more on the lighter side of things, but I found it very satisfying:

Remember the Kim Davis rally where Huckabee played "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor without their permission? Well, the band wasn't joking around about being pissed off about it. Frankie Sullivan sued Huckabee and they reached (what was) a confidential settlement. But Huckabee wrote the whole thing off as a campaign expense, so his June FEC filing revealed he had to fork over $25,000 for using their song without permission.

Huckabee's defense was that the rally was a religious assembly. This didn't pass muster because he claimed the whole rally as a presidential campaign expense.
Huck has attempted to set up a legal defense fund, but the FEC wasn't having it.

I know it's only a slight inconvenience for him, but it's nice that there are people out there who are willing to go through the hassle of a lawsuit to make a point.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Human Rights campaign has had complaints about DAE before and inclusion in general.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Federal Judge in Mississippi has ruled clerks cannot use their personal religion as justication for denying marriages licenses.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Apparently Gay marriage is to blame for Brexit.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/daily-mail-gay-marriage-brexit/#gs.6kwIY_s

The source is two Daily Mail columnists, a paper that's never been regarded as an objective journal, but especially not in regards to Queer issues. Personally I think they're overegging the pudding here, gay marriage alienated the Tory right, but they were already forcing Cameron's hand. Years before all this Cameron took the Conservatives out of the European Peoples Party (the main right wing coalition of European parties) into a coalition with holocaust deniers, gay haters, and Gypsy bashers, to please them. Also UKIP had its biggest showing in a general election in 2010, they lost members and seats in 2015, that was why Farage sort of resigned for a bit as the groups leader, UKIP nearly broke down.

Also every single time I saw a leave campaign slogan or spokesman, the focus was heavily on immigration and how its destroying the country. So not really buying it myself.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

Also every single time I saw a leave campaign slogan or spokesman, the focus was heavily on immigration and how its destroying the country. So not really buying it myself.

Phone posting, so I can't link it now, but you're correct. A Lord Ashcroft did a survey of 12,000 voters; the two biggest predictors of leave/remain were whether multiculturalism and immigration were seen as positive or negative things.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

The source is two Daily Mail columnists, a paper that's never been regarded as an objective journal, but especially not in regards to Queer issues.
Tying nicely back to the start of the thread.

Guavanaut posted:

whereas the UK's Daily Mail printed "Abortion hope after 'gay genes' findings" because they are literal Nazis

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...essure_from_nba

quote:

North Carolina House Republicans are reportedly drafting new legislation to amend HB2, amid pressure from the NBA which could move the 2017 All-Star Game out of state. HB2 is a virulently anti-LGBT bill that experts have deemed unconstitutional, which in addition to banning transgender people from using public restrooms that correspond with their gender identity, remove local control over minimum wage and employment discrimination ordinances.

The possible new bill would, as WBTV first reported, create "an official document that would recognize a person’s gender reassignment. The new document, which is treated as the equivalent as a birth certificate in the draft legislation, is referred to as a certificate of sex reassignment."

A portion of the draft bill reportedly reads:

“An individual who (i) was born in another state or territory of the United States that does not provide a mechanism for amending a current certificate of birth or issuing a new certificate of birth to change the sex of an individual following sex reassignment surgery and (ii) resides in this State at the time of the written application may request a certificate of sex reassignment from the State Registrar,” the legislation reads. “The State Registrar shall issue a certificate of sex reassignment upon a written application from an individual accompanied by a notarized statement from the physician who performed the sex reassignment surgery or from a physician licensed to practice medicine who has examined the individual and can certify that the person has undergone sex reassignment surgery.”

It would appear that only transgender people who have completed "sex reassignment surgery," as it is described, would be considered transgender and entitled to "a certificate of sex reassignment."

"The draft bill," WBTV adds, "also amends portions of HB2 related to protections for employees by adding specific references to federal statutes that provide special protections for certain groups of people. Other changes in the draft legislation increase the penalties for suspects convicted of committing certain offenses in a multi-person bathroom or changing facility."

The draft bill also amends portions of HB2 related to protections for employees by adding specific references to federal statutes that provide special protections for certain groups of people. Other changes in the draft legislation increase the penalties for suspects convicted of committing certain offenses in a multi-person bathroom or changing facility.

"The draft legislation is the result of months of conversations between leadership in the state legislature, including the Speaker's office, and officials from the NBA," WBTV adds, noting House Speaker Tim Moore (photo) has not responded to inquiries.

https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status/747844228328325120/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Their commitment to being as lovely as possible is almost inspiring in it's wretchedness.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Keeshhound posted:

Their commitment to being as lovely as possible is almost inspiring in it's wretchedness.

I'd do it if they'd pay for it. In a heartbeat.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

Other changes in the draft legislation increase the penalties for suspects convicted of committing certain offenses in a multi-person bathroom or changing facility.

So their grand compromise was to increase the punishment for the non-existent trans bathroom predator, and in exchange trans people get to hear, "Show me your papers."

Yay!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It sounds like the intro to some kind of porno.

[Republican State Official Enters Bathroom, sees strangely attractive man at the urinal.]

"Excuse me, you got a license for that heat you packin'?"

"Sure do, wanna check it's in working order?"

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
So what does a trans person in North Carolina do if they haven't had GRS but they have had their documents updated, including their birth certificate?

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

OwlFancier posted:

It sounds like the intro to some kind of porno.

[Republican State Official Enters Bathroom, sees strangely attractive man at the urinal.]

"Excuse me, you got a license for that heat you packin'?"

"Sure do, wanna check it's in working order?"

I think by "some kind of porno" you mean "something that actually happens".

Your daily reminder that US Congresspeople have been caught doing inappropriate poo poo in bathrooms more often than trans people. (Not to shame those who enjoy a quick bathroom hookup, as long as you're being safe...And aren't a senator legislating actively against my rights.)

Also, random side-note, being mislabeled as "straight", even by a person speaking out of insecurity and anger, is immensely gross, and I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it does.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Since Brexit happened this got lost in muddle but the Council of the European Union passed its first commitments on LGBTI equality this month. Since the EU's initiatives are advisory this doesn't mean much in practical terms, at least not automatically. Though it is worth taking note since the previous attempts to get some form of LGBTI commitments from the EU as an organisation were successfully blocked by one or more member nation. Hungary blocked it in 2015, so since there haven't been much shifts in governments prior to this week this means suggests that pro LGBTI groups managed to overcome resistance in this particular case.

Kind of a step forward I guess.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hermetic posted:

(Not to shame those who enjoy a quick bathroom hookup, as long as you're being safe...And aren't a senator legislating actively against my rights.)

I contest your premise that it is possible to have safe sex in a public bathroom, those places are filthy.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Keeshhound posted:

I contest your premise that it is possible to have safe sex in a public bathroom, those places are filthy.

THANK YOU FOR SAYING IT FIRST SO I DON'T FEEL BAD.

Look, your fetishes are your fetishes, no kinkshaming, etc. But for the love of god, I am so grossed out by public bathroom hookups.

OTHER PEOPLE HAVE MADE POOPS IN THERE!!!! :gonk:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hermetic posted:

THANK YOU FOR SAYING IT FIRST SO I DON'T FEEL BAD.

Look, your fetishes are your fetishes, no kinkshaming, etc. But for the love of god, I am so grossed out by public bathroom hookups.

OTHER PEOPLE HAVE MADE POOPS IN THERE!!!! :gonk:

Wait until you find out where the poops are made to begin with.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I don't even want to go to the bathroom to poop, much less to do anything else.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Wait until you find out where the poops are made to begin with.

There's a difference between loving my beau in the rear end after he's had a shower, and leaning up against a wall bathed in the stale poop particles of a thousand assholes.

Maybe that makes me germaphobic or finicky or whatever. Public restrooms are gross, I don't like having sex in gross places. :colbert:

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keeshhound posted:

those places are filthy.

Cue ridiculous dubstep bass drop.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You all need to upgrade your bath- related sexual activities from room to house, this gives you a sauna, a hot tub, SEVERAL bath rooms, and many ways for things to, ha ha, get steamy, ha ha ha

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Any modification to HB2 that doesn't address the override provision is pointless, that's the entire reason that HB2 exists IMO. The fact that the Republicans will never, ever talk about that part of the law says everything.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

hackbunny posted:

Gee Piscina, you make it sound like I must be tough as gently caress to live in such a dangerous area (I'm not and it isn't).

lol @ me because I apparently am tough as gently caress and I do live in a dangerous area. I got my nose broken in a fight on the goddamn bus, wish I could have done worse to them than macing them in the face and throwing blind haymakers Still not tough, still not a dangerous area. Locked down my Facebook profile so that carrion eaters can't have my photo to put next to an article about the BRUTAL ISLAMIST AGGRESSION ON HONEST ITALIAN 100% CIS MALE ON THE BUS OF THE KASBAH ("kasbah" being the charming nickname this area has been given by the press). If I was worried about my borough re-establishing curfew and nonstop police and military patrols, I probably just provided the perfect casus belli. Babyface McPhotoshop owes me big

The pride parade went fine BTW, but I probably won't write a report tonight (it was safe and clean but interesting political things did happen) because of my stupid swollen arthritic hand, which I really shouldn't punch with

In the meantime, have rainbow Lulu:

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 29, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Good doggy. :3:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

hackbunny posted:

lol @ me because I apparently am tough as gently caress and I do live in a dangerous area. I got my nose broken in a fight on the goddamn bus, wish I could have done worse to them than macing them in the face and throwing blind haymakers Still not tough, still not a dangerous area. Locked down my Facebook profile so that carrion eaters can't have my photo to put next to an article about the BRUTAL ISLAMIST AGGRESSION ON HONEST ITALIAN 100% CIS MALE ON THE BUS OF THE KASBAH ("kasbah" being the charming nickname this area has been given by the press). If I was worried about my borough re-establishing curfew and nonstop police and military patrols, I probably just provided the perfect casus belli. Babyface McPhotoshop owes me big

The pride parade went fine BTW, but I probably won't write a report tonight (it was safe and clean but interesting political things did happen) because of my stupid swollen arthritic hand, which I really shouldn't punch with

In the meantime, have rainbow Lulu:

Wait you got in a fist fight on a bus to the Pride parade or was that a seperate incident. Also, that dog is awesome.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Wait you got in a fist fight on a bus to the Pride parade or was that a seperate incident. Also, that dog is awesome.

Separate incident, just commenting on an earlier thing I said about my borough

e: I guess the joke is that I'm 150 pounds soaking wet, transitioning (MtF) and I was browsing Etsy for vintage dresses at the time of the fight. And now my vintage short sleeved shirt is stained with blood

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

hackbunny posted:

Separate incident, just commenting on an earlier thing I said about my borough

e: I guess the joke is that I'm 150 pounds soaking wet, transitioning (MtF) and I was browsing Etsy for vintage dresses at the time of the fight. And now my vintage short sleeved shirt is stained with blood

Try hydrogen peroxide.

• Locked thread