Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Azazell0 posted:

This is probably the worst (best?) example on how a few lines of text can feel like a punch to the gut.

I didn't ask for these feels, dammit.

Here's the actual letter again.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Azazell0 posted:

This is probably the worst (best?) example on how a few lines of text can feel like a punch to the gut.

I didn't ask for these feels, dammit.

Here's the actual letter again.

In true Witcher style when you found her she'd probably be a 16 year old whore with an abusive father and you can either give her money and have her plead with you not to beat up her pimp when he comes to take it or you can loving kill everyone she knows for being horrible shits and leave her sobbing over your "help".

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You forgot that her father would be her pimp and that her mother's last wishes was for her family to stay together.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I only read the first book and I have to wonder, is Geralt even a big character in the series? I heard Ciri becomes the POV character from the third book onwards as Geralt can't really develop as a person to hinge a saga on him.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I only read the first book and I have to wonder, is Geralt even a big character in the series? I heard Ciri becomes the POV character from the third book onwards as Geralt can't really develop as a person to hinge a saga on him.

The books split a running narrative between Geralt and his band of collected misfits (seriously this dude collects weird/badass mofos like Shepard in Mass Effect 2) and Ciri's multiple novels worth of being tortured in every conceivable way. There are parts with minor POV chapters from other characters but it's mostly Geralt/Misfits and Ciri.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Geralt is the aragorn to ciri's frodo. Even the game makes it clear that he's just a simple Witcher while she is the true protagonist who is destined to save or destroy the world. Geralt literally says at one point "it was only ever about you, ciri"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How does Geralt compare in strength/talent to other witchers?

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

BaW has the April fools' Yokelicious haircut. Should have worn it to the fancy ball.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Seriously though every single HUD element has disappeared except for witcher-vision outlines and I am a little perturbed about it. The HUD menu does nothing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Try hitting the Home button

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RatHat posted:

How does Geralt compare in strength/talent to other witchers?

Letho is easily his equal, and in the books eskel is considered even more magically talented than geralt.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Letho is easily his equal, and in the books eskel is considered even more magically talented than geralt.

Just as long as Lambert, that piece of poo poo rock troll racist, is weaker than all of them

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I haven't read the books or played the previous games, but after looking online briefly I was surprised by how much it seems like Witcher 3 pulls more from the former than the latter. I figured I'd go in not really knowing any of the characters but wasn't expecting to read that Ciri & Yenn are barely even mentioned in Witcher 1 or 2.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Macaluso posted:

Just as long as Lambert, that piece of poo poo rock troll racist, is weaker than all of them

Lambert is the youngest, where-as Eskel and Geralt where trained together as kids. Eskel emenates magic more strongly than Geralt, but Geralt was subjected to more experimental mutagens due to his unusually high tolerance for the trial of the grasses. Exactly what those mutagens did or how they benefited Geralt is never expressely stated. Letho is a bad rear end and everyone loves him, but I'd never take him over Geralt. I'd actually put Letho at around Leo Bonhart's level. Leo was not a Witcher.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hobo Clown posted:

I haven't read the books or played the previous games, but after looking online briefly I was surprised by how much it seems like Witcher 3 pulls more from the former than the latter. I figured I'd go in not really knowing any of the characters but wasn't expecting to read that Ciri & Yenn are barely even mentioned in Witcher 1 or 2.

Witcher 1 is just plain odd. You have Triss, but she basically acts like Yen does. Yen is never mentioned, outside of Triss alluding to her in very offhand manner due to Geralt's amnesia (this is a big part of why book fans dislike Triss as a romance option in the games). You're chasing after a child of destiny, who has all sorts of magical powers beyond their control, but it's not Ciri, it's a young boy. Nobody mentions that this all seems oddly familiar.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure the experimental mutations are why Geralt has white hair. Also Letho did pretty well against Geralt in the elven baths, though Geralt didn't have his memory back yet.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Staltran posted:

Pretty sure the experimental mutations are why Geralt has white hair. Also Letho did pretty well against Geralt in the elven baths, though Geralt didn't have his memory back yet.

Yea, the white hair is from the mutagens. Also, Geralt meets Letho on the path by saving his life. Geralt and Letho are fairly evenly matched in the first fight but by the second fight Letho is totally outclassed.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Arcsquad12 posted:

The first time you fight Letho in Witcher 2 was one of the series' highlights for me. Not only was it one of the hardest fights in the game, but you rarely get to fight someone with the same abilities as you. Having two guys with swords push each other around with Aard made me wonder how much inspiration the creators took from Star Wars (in a good way).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
"If you acknowledge any gods, pray to them now."

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zak2k12 posted:

The first time you fight Letho in Witcher 2 was one of the series' highlights for me. Not only was it one of the hardest fights in the game, but you rarely get to fight someone with the same abilities as you. Having two guys with swords push each other around with Aard made me wonder how much inspiration the creators took from Star Wars (in a good way).

I always love a good mirror match and that was a drat good example of one. The only thing I disliked was that his version of Quen was temporary invulnerability that you couldn't smack through.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

JetsGuy posted:

No, it taunts you forever as incomplete. Fortunately, there's not too too many that are missable. The Baron is a big one a lot of people miss. I think Roche too. Lambert you have to get a card from as well, and I think it has to be when you meet him in the pub after/during his quest.

:laugh:

They patched this when Blood & Wine arrived - now the Collect 'Em All quest will fail if you miss a card.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I started my Death March new game+ run and needed an appropriate outfit:

Y'all seen my girlfriend?

Wearing black and white?

Like my oh so snug pants?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zak2k12 posted:

In theory it was a good idea but Aard was undodgable since it was so fast so it was very frustrating to me. Letho really likes spamming bombs too.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Letho's good, but he's not good enough to dodge the ultimate trap: actually literally ten bear traps. :smuggo:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Seriously though every single HUD element has disappeared except for witcher-vision outlines and I am a little perturbed about it. The HUD menu does nothing.

Did you press the Toggle HUD button by accident

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Coughing Hobo posted:

Letho's good, but he's not good enough to dodge the ultimate trap: actually literally ten bear traps. :smuggo:

I kinda miss traps, they were fun to use if you knew you were about to fight something.

On the other hand it was also very annoying to walk into a bear trap every 10 feet. Thankfully your defense quickly becomes high enough that they did literally 0 damage.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Oh God, after I finish all these Points of Interest in Skellige, I'll have nothing left to do.

Except maybe start a new game. Bad Dad Geralt, here we come!

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

I just finished Blood and Wine and I am now sad that there is no more Witcher content (aside from Gwent mission stories) for the foreseeable future.

Anyways, does anyone have any information about the Witcher movie that was announced late last year? I can't dig up any information about it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finished Blood & Wine. It's almost surreal to be "done" with the Witcher 3 after playing so much excellent content. I never actually finished Hearts of Stone though, so I guess I'll go back and get that nasty scar off Geralt's face.

While B&W overall was excellent (and Touissant as a setting was amazing) I found that the story kind of went downhill once Syanna was found. In general she seemed too petulant and obnoxious to lead anybody. I did find it funny that you have the option of banging her. Yeah lady, I'm really going to get romantically involved with you after literally watching the horrible, bloody aftermath of your last relationship not 30 minutes earlier. I also rolled my eyes hard at the duchess asking HER for forgiveness. Did you forget about how she brought a legion of bloodthirsty monsters down on your citizens? Whatever, it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the expansion overall

Looking forward to CD PR's next RPG.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

PantsBandit posted:

While B&W overall was excellent (and Touissant as a setting was amazing) I found that the story kind of went downhill once Syanna was found. In general she seemed too petulant and obnoxious to lead anybody. I did find it funny that you have the option of banging her. Yeah lady, I'm really going to get romantically involved with you after literally watching the horrible, bloody aftermath of your last relationship not 30 minutes earlier. I also rolled my eyes hard at the duchess asking HER for forgiveness. Did you forget about how she brought a legion of bloodthirsty monsters down on your citizens? Whatever, it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the expansion overall

To be fair, that wasn't her fault. She was totally willing to go see Dettlaff but it's kind of hard to do that when you are imprisoned. The gruesome murders of four prominent knights and the plan to murder the duchess herself? Yeah, that was totally all her.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I did find it funny that you have the option of banging her. Yeah lady, I'm really going to get romantically involved with you after literally watching the horrible, bloody aftermath of your last relationship not 30 minutes earlier.

You missed out on the best sex scene in the game, my friend.

Also Geralt has no moral sexual objections :colbert:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Lareine posted:

To be fair, that wasn't her fault. She was totally willing to go see Dettlaff but it's kind of hard to do that when you are imprisoned. The gruesome murders of four prominent knights and the plan to murder the duchess herself? Yeah, that was totally all her.

And honestly, I kinda can't really blame her for the murders all that much. I mean, if there was ever a reason to go on a spree of revenge killings, she had it. Not that revenge killings are a totally rad cool thing to do, but it feels like pretty much everybody does it at some point in the Witcher universe. The real evil thing about her to me was tricking Dettlaff into doing it, which was a pretty monstrous thing to do especially considering he has the emotional maturity of a five-year old. Someone earlier in the thread compared Dettlaff to Lenny from Of Mice and Men and I think that's right on the money.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
come on, people. she blackmailed an emotionally unstable higher vampire. Just because she wasn't able to fix it at the last second doesn't absolve her of responsibility when poo poo hits the fan.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Macaluso posted:

You missed out on the best sex scene in the game, my friend.
Looked pretty unsafe though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

come on, people. she blackmailed an emotionally unstable higher vampire. Just because she wasn't able to fix it at the last second doesn't absolve her of responsibility when poo poo hits the fan.

No, but when said higher vampire goes "meet me at the spooky castle in 3 days or the streets will run red with blood" and her response is "OK, see you then" and then her sister goes "NO LOCK HER IN FAIRY TALE LAND", you kind of have to spread some of the responsibility around.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Digirat posted:

Did you press the Toggle HUD button by accident

The toggle HUD button was added after I stopped playing the game for the first time. So yes. :downs:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

The toggle HUD button was added after I stopped playing the game for the first time. So yes. :downs:

Question:

Why is there a skeleton with a hat and gauntlet in your secret mansion cave?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Uh, where else do you keep your skeleton with a hat and gauntlet?

I mean the guest room already has your nude portrait.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 25, 2016

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Sindai posted:

Uh, where else do you keep your skeleton with a hat and gauntlet?

I mean the guest room already has your nude portrait.

I saw that edit, was wondering why you'd think Yen would be in the guest room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Dear God I love gwent but this tournament where you have to play as Skellige. Goddamnit.

Not only is it just bullshit playing with this deck but making it just annoying to save scum it. Then couple ps4 takes a year and a day to load.

EDIT: AAAAAND I just lost to Nilfgaard Deck 3x in a row so the autosaves overwrite themselves so that I gotta play the Monster deck guy and start over. Thanks a lot whichever rear end in a top hat didn't let you save between rounds

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 25, 2016