Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Gibbo, let's be friends. See, I'm typing with nice grammar and punctuation just for you. :) What is your favourite Rune Factory, and what characters do you like?

Personally, while I know that RF3 and RF4 are technically better games, I just find RF2 to be so charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dragon Quest Builders is the new best farming game in the world, believe it.

What makes it any good? I checked out a couple of gameplay videos and it just looks like a slightly more refined Minecraft.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Bunch of new ToT characters were posted today. Each town has nine characters listed now, not counting potential spouses (no new ones were introduced this time either).

The judges from SoS are back too, but now there's a new Master of Ceremonies (the girl in the top hat, who, honestly, looks like she'll be a secret bachelorette), so animal/produce/cooking/fashion shows are all back.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is this also the thread for Story of Seasons since it's the same game or does that have its own thread I can't find? Because I just played it for 13 hours almost straight on an exceptionally long flight

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Is this also the thread for Story of Seasons since it's the same game or does that have its own thread I can't find? Because I just played it for 13 hours almost straight on an exceptionally long flight

Yeah, this is also the thread for SoS.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In that case, is there something I'm not getting about the stamina economy? My ability to acquire land is vastly outstripping my ability to water it every day, even with an early copper water bucket through lucky copper drops from fishing

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

In that case, is there something I'm not getting about the stamina economy? My ability to acquire land is vastly outstripping my ability to water it every day, even with an early copper water bucket through lucky copper drops from fishing

Eat food. Buying food from the restaurant also unlocks recipes, so it's a good idea. Eventually you'll be able to make a jewelry combo that restores stamina, but the blueprints don't unlock until Year 2.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

play on seedling mode. there is absolutely no reason at all to play on original mode, unless your favourite part of HM games is the soulless grind

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Corridor posted:

play on seedling mode. there is absolutely no reason at all to play on original mode, unless your favourite part of HM games is the soulless grind

Can you lower difficulty mid play?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Can you lower difficulty mid play?

nope. but i restarted halfway through spring 1 with seedling mode, and was very glad i did because it makes the game actually playable.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i want to marry the dog suit

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Corridor posted:

poo poo! I'm dumb. I figured Original was The Way It's Meant to Be Played, and the "seedling" name was a jab at my pride, but if all it does is reduce the grind...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
harvest moon, a series infamous for insulting the player's gamer skill

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

poo poo! I'm dumb. I figured Original was The Way It's Meant to Be Played, and the "seedling" name was a jab at my pride, but if all it does is reduce the grind...

It's called original because it's the bullshit way the game originally was and Japanese gamers complained about. Seedling is far better if you enjoy having fun when playing your anime farming games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Corridor posted:

nope. but i restarted halfway through spring 1 with seedling mode, and was very glad i did because it makes the game actually playable.

Halfway through Fall 1 is a bit different and I think I'll have more fun slogging through new stuff than restarting with something better

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

cheetah7071 posted:

Halfway through Fall 1 is a bit different and I think I'll have more fun slogging through new stuff than restarting with something better

Once you get the stamina regen jewelry going, the difference becomes mainly in the endgame trader unlock requirements, as stamina becomes mostly a non-issue

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How does Story of Seasons compare to Rune Factory 4? If I'm tired of feeding dragon's pancakes, but would like to still have a ton of monster taming / farming.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

How does Story of Seasons compare to Rune Factory 4? If I'm tired of feeding dragon's pancakes, but would like to still have a ton of monster taming / farming.

there are no monsters

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Harvest Moon, and by extension Story of Seasons, is exactly like Rune Factory but with the RPG elements, fantasy elements, and goofiness removed.

I wish the goofiness weren't removed though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
harvest moon can still be pretty goofy, but a lot of it is replaced with even greater amounts of chill

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

cheetah7071 posted:

Harvest Moon, and by extension Story of Seasons, is exactly like Rune Factory but with the RPG elements, fantasy elements, and goofiness removed.

Also, the pace is a hell of a lot slower - in RF, farming can be done in a very short time because it's a supplementary activity. In SoS, it's the entire game, so it takes longer to do everything.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

It's called original because it's the bullshit way the game originally was and Japanese gamers complained about. Seedling is far better if you enjoy having fun when playing your anime farming games.

it's pretty impressive to make the grind in your autistic japanese farming game so bad that even the target audience of autistic japanese gamers call bullshit

cheetah7071 posted:

while there is less of the pants-on-head insanity everpresent in rune factory, SoS characters have a kind of repressed quiet insanity about them, though it's probably unintentional by the devs.

i admit i did prefer it when i could run around as miku with leek twinswords, or when the horse boy cooked too much lunch and gave some to me, i'd be doing him a favour by taking it, and it's definitely not because he likes me or anything

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
without having played sos, given xseed's typical translation work, i'd be surprised if that kind of stuff about the characters wasn't intentional

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

hopeandjoy posted:

Eat food. Buying food from the restaurant also unlocks recipes, so it's a good idea. Eventually you'll be able to make a jewelry combo that restores stamina, but the blueprints don't unlock until Year 2.

oh ya, i believe it's deliberately designed around forcing the player to eat at Restaurant every day, because eating lots of foods unlocks new recipes from the cook boy

if you are having trouble affording Restaurant's prices on a daily basis, flax > sewing studio > gold linen cloth is the big money maker. the golden dye job takes 6 hours per linen thread, but if u feed lots of small piles of thread into the dye pot, instead of one big pile of 99 thread, then they will all process at the same time and take a couple of days instead of all month

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Flax is pretty happy to grow all year so it's pretty easy to keep fertilizing it up to 5 stars. And then applying it to festivals and winning to maximize the money you receive from selling it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

For SoS, is there a time limit kind of thing where you can fall behind and end up missing stuff? I get some enjoyment out of scraping by with a meager beginning and building up from there, so I'm thinking of playing original mode as long as there's no downside to starting slow. I've never played one of these games before but the Seedling changes seem... Pretty drastic.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nah, you'll be fine. The vendors have a time lock in addition to their unlock requirements anyway, so even if you were stressing yourself hustling as hard as you can, you might still have to wait until at least year 2 before you could actually get them to show up.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I just hit fall and instantly unlocked sakura, wheat, and rose country one after the other.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Am I doing crappily if it's Fall 1 and I only unlocked Cabin Country? I'm unspoiled so I don't even know what the requirements are

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

No. Cabin is the only one you can unlock before Fall 1 anyway, so.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Am I doing crappily if it's Fall 1 and I only unlocked Cabin Country? I'm unspoiled so I don't even know what the requirements are

to get the others, it has to be fall, and u have to have shipped a certain amount of stuff

i had the sewing studio so

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Here's the first 30 minutes of the new game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RsKb5svX_o

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Linnaeus posted:

Here's the first 30 minutes of the new game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RsKb5svX_o

This is the worst thing I've ever had to listen to.

It's 2016.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

This is the worst thing I've ever had to listen to.

It's 2016.

just hope and pray that they'll actually include sound settings in this one

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Our Love Will Grow claims to be a harvest moon like. Has anyone tried it?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

double post

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

LLSix posted:

Our Love Will Grow claims to be a harvest moon like. Has anyone tried it?

Just looking at the steam page, the stock RPGMaker assets, and the fact that you can only play as a dude, I have no idea why anyone would pick this up when Stardew Valley exists. Looking at the reviews, you can't even befriend the non-bachelorette villagers.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

dmboogie posted:

Looking at the reviews, you can't even befriend the non-bachelorette villagers.

:staredog:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There were a bunch of interviews with the Bokujo producer that came out around E3 and the stock response to marriage/relationship questions was "this series primarily sells in Japan and primarily to children so we'll continue catering to them and maybe do other stuff if we feel like it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is Seeds of Memories worth it at 30% off? I'm curious but I don't want to get it if it's - super bad on a tablet.

• Locked thread