Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
BuzzFeed;s Rosie Gray actually did some calls to find out what GOP Pollsters are thinking re:Brexit, you can read it here: https://t.co/Qkyym2JNly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I mean, also, obviously a lot can happen to change the race between now and November, but as the polls stand right now, they predicted a very close Brexit result and a US election result that is, um, not close.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grouchio posted:

Now why would this hurt Clinton's chances if Trump's platform has convergently caused the economic destruction of Britain?

People are idiots.

Bip Roberts posted:

Trump is crazytown enough that things like terrorist attacks and economic collapse hurt him. People wont be willing to play a giant experiment if shits hosed.

A poll this morning (on lolCNN) had Trump 51 Clinton 43 for who people trust more to fix the economy. People are dumb and they tend to blame those in power for their problems.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

WampaLord posted:

The really hosed part to me, was that as time went on he became more aggressive towards the prisoners and the "guard" part of his personality started to take over. Like, holy gently caress.

Yeah that was pretty messed up and almost makes me feel a bit of sympathy towards guards and even cops and poo poo. OK, maybe some of them are power tripping assholes to begin with and that's why they seek out those jobs, but some just get turned that way by the job itself.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joementum posted:

The Democratic platform committee defeated Keith Ellison's amendment to support a $15 minimum wage, indexed to inflation, by a 6-8 vote.

gently caress. Was hoping for this to be the starting point and we would end up at $12 with readjustments at the state level for inflation every "X" years.

Looks like we may have to settle for sub $10. :(

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Evil Fluffy posted:

People are idiots.

A poll this morning (on lolCNN) had Trump 51 Clinton 43 for who people trust more to fix the economy. People are dumb and they tend to blame those in power for their problems.

That kind of poll is genuinely worthless, because people's answers to those kinds of questions don't ever consistently line up with how they vote (or say they vote.) People are too dumb to give internally consistent answers to "Will you vote for this person?" and "Do you trust this person most to do (X hugely important thing)?" even in the same poll.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah that was pretty messed up and almost makes me feel a bit of sympathy towards guards and even cops and poo poo. OK, maybe some of them are power tripping assholes to begin with and that's why they seek out those jobs, but some just get turned that way by the job itself.

Y'all have read about the Stanford Prison Experiment right?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

zoux posted:

Pretty sure the MJ article itself mentions it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

zoux posted:

I thought that while interesting the Stanford Prison Experiment has been found to have serious flaws?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Hootington posted:

gently caress. Was hoping for this to be the starting point and we would end up at $12 with readjustments at the state level for inflation every "X" years.

spoiler: any increase is going to pass on an entirely party line vote, so whatever's in the democratic platform is gonna be the increase that we wind up with, if any

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Kilroy posted:

So, how do us USPOL goons feel about finally and with utter certainty being only the second-worst electorate in the Anglosphere? I mean, it might only last four months, but I'll be enjoying it while I can :)

It sucks. A year ago I was joking to my brother in law about why he should bother moving here from the UK when we are going to elect a guy who is just going to kick him out again. Since then we learned that David Cameron hosed a dead pig, and now he's wrecked the world economy. How can we top that, even with Trump?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

this is the one where they voted to name the bear Wojtek, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Pretty sure the MJ article itself mentions it.

I haven't read it yet because I don't want to be mega depressed and mad this weekend.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Mr Hootington posted:

$12 is Clinton's and I think Obama's. Not sure why you would think that way.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

theblackw0lf posted:

You see they're only doing that to get people to vote for them so they'll just never do it once they win.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/746406051747008513

there we go

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

I know they advocate for it, but if it has to pass the senate without a super majority of Dem seats there would have to compromise with republicans on that and not have to include tax cuts or some insane deregulation.

Edit: and this doesn't even factor in who controls the house.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I thought that while interesting the Stanford Prison Experiment has been found to have serious flaws?

Uhhh yeah you could say that...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Didn't it come out later though that it was one guy who was manipulating others in the Experiment into being tremendous assholes? Like on the Guard side of things.

quote:

Dave Eshelman, one of the guards, recalled that he “consciously created” his guard persona. “I was in all kinds of drama productions in high school and college. It was something I was very familiar with: to take on another personality before you step out on the stage,” Eshelman said. In fact, he continued, “I was kind of running my own experiment in there, by saying, ‘How far can I push these things and how much abuse will these people take before they say, ‘Knock it off?’ “

http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/the-real-lesson-of-the-stanford-prison-experiment

Eh I guess he wasn't exactly manipulating others but he definitely had a plan to abuse people.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 24, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Hootington posted:

I know they advocate for it, but if it has to pass the senate without a super majority of Dem seats there would have to compromise with republicans on that and not have to include tax cuts or some insane deregulation.

Edit: and this doesn't even factor in who controls the house.

Well it doesn't really. There's nothing in the constitution that says we have to have cloture rules in the Senate, but I mean Mitt Romney has been supportive of $12/hr so it's not like it's a foreign concept to Republicans.

Now the house is a bigger obstacle, but they're not likely to go along with anything anyway so its a moot point.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

greatn posted:

Why the gently caress would you want the sun to go down at loving 5 in the afternoon?

Spring forward forever

If you live in Texas. :colbert:

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

Hollismason posted:

Didn't it come out later though that it was one guy who was manipulating others in the Experiment into being tremendous assholes? Like on the Guard side of things.

http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/the-real-lesson-of-the-stanford-prison-experiment

Eh I guess he wasn't exactly manipulating others but he definitely had a plan to abuse people.

Yeah the main antagonistic guard came out and said that he basically tried to conduct his own experiment to see how far other people would follow him in degrading other people, and to that affect is why he adopted the whole man with no eyes persona from Cool Hand Luke. Whether or not that invalidates a lot of Zimbardos findings is up for debate. Also I think a few of the guards said that they acted far more aggressive than normal because they felt that it was what Zimbardo wanted to see from them. If I recall correctly it's one of the main criticisms of the experiment that Zimbardo was far from a neutral observer and actively influenced the outcome through his actions. Hopefully someone with a bit more background knowledge can flesh that out though

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Good for him. Good on Cameron allowing guys like Trump a fair shake. :unsmith:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well it doesn't really. There's nothing in the constitution that says we have to have cloture rules in the Senate, but I mean Mitt Romney has been supportive of $12/hr so it's not like it's a foreign concept to Republicans.

Now the house is a bigger obstacle, but they're not likely to go along with anything anyway so its a moot point.

Yeah the business wing of both parties seem to have come around to a increase. I was figuring after the trump disaster the sane elements of the republican party might try to govern again. This won't happen, but one can dream.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/746442036476264449

Just 62 more years guys.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

People are idiots.

Well then, let's see how long Trump's lead in being "good at the economy" lasts.

Sidenote, Hillary is really loving good at this twitter war stuff. I approve.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

zoux posted:

I don't really buy the "VP helps the ticket" theory. At best it's going to win you a couple of news cycles and at worst it will utterly sink and discredit your campaign.

VP is presidential life insurance / assassination detractor.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Crosspost from the right-wing media thread:
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/746452315213828097

One of Obama's really interesting legacies is going to be the huge leaps in LGBT rights that happened in an astoundingly short amount of time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

fade5 posted:

Sidenote, Hillary's 20-something intern is really loving good at this twitter war stuff. I approve.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/746464080010051585

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Yeah the main antagonistic guard came out and said that he basically tried to conduct his own experiment to see how far other people would follow him in degrading other people, and to that affect is why he adopted the whole man with no eyes persona from Cool Hand Luke. Whether or not that invalidates a lot of Zimbardos findings is up for debate. Also I think a few of the guards said that they acted far more aggressive than normal because they felt that it was what Zimbardo wanted to see from them. If I recall correctly it's one of the main criticisms of the experiment that Zimbardo was far from a neutral observer and actively influenced the outcome through his actions. Hopefully someone with a bit more background knowledge can flesh that out though

I'm not a social scientist or a psychologist, so this is probably a dumb question, but what is it about these motivations that are unique to the experiment, especially the second? In a real prison setting, the warden/senior guards/long time staff are less than neutral observers and might create the same environment, no? Or random guards coming in and intentionally assuming a hard-rear end persona while at work seems like a thing that people would do.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Hey, she's looking out for that wonderful internet warrior. By not naming names, he/she/etc. can continue to fight the good fight effectively. :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Part of leadership is picking people who can do a thing better than you to do it, I suppose.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

To be entirely frank, that's a good thing. I have not seen or heard credible evidence that a national hike to $15 is a good idea.

Have you seen Inequality for All?

Jesus, these comments. It's all hanging and guillotine and firing squads, not a single mention of "hey, we don't need the death penalty, we're better than that."

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 24, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I don't think you understand how this works but its closer to 40 I think.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 24, 2016

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ReidRansom posted:

The piece is great, btw, though long, and anyone who hasn't read it should go do so.

poo poo's hosed up.

So many questions in this stupid Gawker Q&A from people who blatantly did not read the piece, jesus christ.

I got my master's degree in public health initially out of a desire to work on justice reform, particularly from an epi standpoint, in the U.S., but some of the initial forays I made into the field from a research standpoint literally scared me off.

Hidingfromgoro isn't around but his old thread was super good, modern incarnation here, it's just not very active any more.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ReidRansom posted:

http://www.theonion.com/article/insecure-frustrated-bully-with-something-to-prove--33427

ACAB

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Have you seen Inequality for All?

yes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
In that, Reich points out that if the minimum wage were indexed to productivity, today's minimum should be $20/hr, based on the GDP when it came out. Why would you be against $15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

In that, Reich points out that if the minimum wage were indexed to productivity, today's minimum should be $20/hr, based on the GDP when it came out. Why would you be against $15?

Because he's not exactly right about half of that poo poo, nor does he take into account the many variations in regional economic factors that would make a $15/hr national wage problematic.

• Locked thread