Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

a big part of being the president is exercising good judgement in staffing decisions so Good Job, Twitter Intern's Boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of presidential candidates and Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/746465982026289152

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

In that, Reich points out that if the minimum wage were indexed to productivity, today's minimum should be $20/hr, based on the GDP when it came out. Why would you be against $15?

BI NOW is usually against progressive economic policies because reasons.

A much higher minimum wage would be great for pretty much everyone. More people with extra money in their pockets means they can buy more things and services, which means businesses make more money. Lost profits can be made up in volume. There's a lot of stupid poo poo people say to justify not raising it. Can't see how people can cognitively back-flip their way to "People making more money is bad!"

Like, by this stupid loving logic, if a unicorn farted on the US and all the minimum wage workers could suddenly quit their jobs and work some mythical 20$/hr job, somehow that would be terrible? loving stupid viewpoint.

TL;DR - consumers with more disposable income isn't bad for anyone except the environment, and somehow BI NOW, who probably owns a chick-fil-a chain.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 24, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't really think 'I will directly destroy our economy, I promise' is a good move for him.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Night10194 posted:

I don't really think 'I will directly destroy our economy, I promise' is a good move for him.

It's not even the first time he's promised it

It's not even the first time he's promised it in the last 48 hours

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/DeepDrumpf/status/746443585847951360

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

xrunner posted:

I'm not a social scientist or a psychologist, so this is probably a dumb question, but what is it about these motivations that are unique to the experiment, especially the second? In a real prison setting, the warden/senior guards/long time staff are less than neutral observers and might create the same environment, no? Or random guards coming in and intentionally assuming a hard-rear end persona while at work seems like a thing that people would do.

Here is an actual research psychiatrist explaining his critique of Zimbardo.

The issue is not that those motivations are unique to the experiment. The issue is that those motivations could and did lead to bad science. When the experimenter has a bias towards a particular experimental outcome, and especially when the experimenter is able to steer the experiment towards that particular outcome, then you can't trust the results of the experiment. Nobody's saying that Zimbardo was necessarily incorrect about the origins of prison abuse, they're saying that the experiment was so poorly designed that it can't serve as evidence for any conclusions whatsoever.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
^^^^ A much better way to put it

xrunner posted:

I'm not a social scientist or a psychologist, so this is probably a dumb question, but what is it about these motivations that are unique to the experiment, especially the second? In a real prison setting, the warden/senior guards/long time staff are less than neutral observers and might create the same environment, no? Or random guards coming in and intentionally assuming a hard-rear end persona while at work seems like a thing that people would do.

Honestly I would think that yeah you are totally correct about that but when Zimbardo began to influence the study in the way he did it sort of muddied the waters and confused the cause and effect of the behaviors displayed. For example, was this type of behavior the natural inclination of all people in authority, or was it the result of people trying to conform to a specific expectation placed upon them by a person of authority? You will get no argument from me about the dehumanization of prisoners in the U.S. prison system (especially in bullshit for profit prisons like the subject of that hosed up Mother Jones story) but Zimbardo went much further in his proclamations about the nature of peoples responses in The Lucifer Effect. I am woefully unqualified to offer any kind of analysis on the argument. From the Mother Jones story quoted earlier, it seems like the reporter found himself changing his behavior and doing things he felt guilty about in hindsight (ie more concerned with demanding respect then caring about a prisoners needs). Is this because that particular jail is hosed up because of horrible corporate policies or is it a natural inclination of people in a position of authority over someone else to dehumanize them to make their decisions more palpable to themselves? If it's the former then the remedy is fairly straight forward in removing awful management conditions but if it's the latter it will take a bit more effort to get to the bottom of. I honestly have no clue which one it is, and it's probably a combination of the two and there's not much to lose by guarding against both situations but it's the biggest criticism I've seen of the Standford experiments so I figured I'd post it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Jesus, these comments. It's all hanging and guillotine and firing squads, not a single mention of "hey, we don't need the death penalty, we're better than that."

Have you ever met other people? We're not.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

So recessions and economic malaise?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I haven't been following this Brexit stuff closely, so apologies for the possibly dumb question, but why did Cameron resign?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

His Purple Majesty posted:

So recessions and economic malaise?

im receiving word that this is actually a tremendous blow against globalism and a victory for the common man

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Noam Chomsky posted:

A much higher minimum wage would be great for pretty much everyone. More people with extra money in their pockets means they can buy more things and services, which means businesses make more money. Lost profits can be made up in volume. There's a lot of stupid poo poo people say to justify not raising it. Can't see how people can cognitively back-flip their way to "People making more money is bad!"

Like, by this stupid loving logic, if a unicorn farted on the US and all the minimum wage workers could suddenly quit their jobs and work some mythical 20$/hr job, somehow that would be terrible? loving stupid viewpoint.

TL;DR - consumers with more disposable income isn't bad for anyone except the environment, and somehow BI NOW, who probably owns a chick-fil-a chain.

:lol: This is exactly what I was talking about when I said that the far left wing of the party are insufferably purist.

I agree we need to raise the min wage for everyone and for a bunch of reasons, but there are a lot of really strong arguments made by actual economists who study min. wage, who have generally found that $15 nationally right now is likely too high, because different states have different abilities to absorb what would be nearly doubling the min wage -- even if you did it over a period of 4-5 years. And yes, I am fully aware of how raising the min wage does increase economic output, because when you raise wages of people who don't have lots of disposable income, they do to spend it -- but those studies also show that there is a tipping point for where an economy can actually absorb a raise versus where it can't, and most studies show $15/hr nationally is above that point.

Like you're trying to cast this as me being somehow against a min. wage increase period when that's really not the case. I am making an argument that based on actual economic factors, that maybe $15/hr nationally isn't a great idea and that it's something we need to be pretty deliberative about before jumping headlong into it. So maybe cool the rhetoric and the sermon? I am for a lot of pretty progressive policies, I don't always agree with the Policy de Jure as a good idea, but I share the same policy goals and in some cases would go further than y'all suggest on issues, but I guess it's easier for you to cop a self-righteous tone instead?

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 24, 2016

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Noam Chomsky posted:

So why do Walmart and friends oppose it? The people making minimum wage won't really be throwing a ton of money back at companies paying minimum wage (restaurants, hospitality, department stores, grocery stores). It's unambiguously good for the economy but also unambiguously bad for these corporations; if it weren't, it wouldn't have opposition.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

I haven't been following this Brexit stuff closely, so apologies for the possibly dumb question, but why did Cameron resign?

Because after you've graduated from loving a pig to loving an entire country there's really nowhere left to go.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The real wage solution is total profit sharing and cooperative ownership. And caps on the size of coops.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Given that I support a mincome, higher corporate taxes, an end to charter schools, free college, uhc (though maybe not single-payer), and a bunch of other unambiguously left economic ideas -- its pretty disingenuous to call me opposed to "progressive economic ideas"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

:fist: radium!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mr Interweb posted:

He campaigned to Remain and there is a sizeable Brexit wing in his own party. Leave winning in this situation means he no longer has the political capital or power to effectively govern or control his party's MPs. He'd inevitably be replaced by the Tories if he didn't resign. The Leave campaign was lead by prominent Tory politicians who used it as a vehicle to dethrone Cameron, in fact.

This isn't the first or only thing Cameron has struggled with inside his own party.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

So why do Walmart and friends oppose it? The people making minimum wage won't really be throwing a ton of money back at companies paying minimum wage (restaurants, hospitality, department stores, grocery stores). It's unambiguously good for the economy but also unambiguously bad for these corporations; if it weren't, it wouldn't have opposition.

Wal-Mart opposes it because if you have the cash to not have to shop at Wal-Mart you typically don't. Also the waltons are evil fuckers who would oppose it even if it was great for them.

Last I checked people making more than minimum wage still avail themselves of the other businesses you listed. In fact they avail themselves of them more if they make more money.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 25, 2016

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

cameron did not support a brexit. he cynically promised a brexit vote to the extreme racists and idiots in his party to entice them to vote for him in the most recent election. after winning, as promised, he scheduled the referendum, but also actively campaigned against it, and allowed members inside his own party to campaign on whatever side they wanted to. so the whole thing turned into chaos, he fractured the hell out of his party way harder than refusing to promise a referendum in the first place would have, and achieved an outcome that he personally knew would be disastrous. by this point he just would rather not deal with all the fallout of his bad decisions, so hes getting out early

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

He's a humongous dipshit who could have prevented the vote from even happening, but he allowed it to go on to gain points with the racist party. And now the U.K. is hosed because of it. Scotland may well just secede so it can rejoin the E.U.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Noam Chomsky posted:

Wal-Mart opposes it because if you have the cash to not have to shop at Wal-Mart you typically don't.

Not even close to true, but way to infantilize a really huge chunk of Americans I guess.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mine was really the BBC world service way of saying things but neither of you are wrong on Cameron.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

If we are talking about "Walmart and friends" vis-a-vis the Chamber of Commerce et al., the business lobby in Washington has opposed policies that would be good for their members including some they outright support for some time.

Though I think corporate leaders individually are bad at understanding how certain regulations benefit them in the long term, especially things like a minimum wage increase where there's a major upfront cost. Those institutions you mention are in fact exactly the ones that would see increased revenue as a result of a min wage increase.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

Not even close to true, but way to infantilize a really huge chunk of Americans I guess.

If I have other options I don't shop at Wal-Mart. Why would you?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fishmech posted:

People are stupid, details at 11 :siren:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

There really is nothing resembling self-awareness in this man, is there?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

David Cameron and Paul Ryan should have just traded jobs

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Well I don't but then I did before finally realizing what I should do for college work there for two years.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Back in Antiquity disgraced politicians would fall on their swords. Something to bring back.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Though I think corporate leaders individually are bad at understanding how certain regulations benefit them in the long term, especially things like a minimum wage increase where there's a major upfront cost. Those institutions you mention are in fact exactly the ones that would see increased revenue as a result of a min wage increase.

Minimum wage hikes are a tough sell to those who can only see as far as their next quarterly earnings report.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This is a hell of a time for semi-important news to be dropping, Brexit will dominate the rest of the weekend at the least.

The fight for $15 will be an uphill battle against economic pundits, disinterested politicians and the american people in general, so I'm not surprised a committee just barely disagreed. Arizona suspending executions would almost be a big deal on its own.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Noam Chomsky posted:

Because other people don't care? I mean you really aren't very bright if you think everyone hates Wal-Mart as much as you. Half their locations wouldn't still be in business if that's how things worked!

Additionally:

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

People are stupid, details at 11 :siren:

Details: it's you for thinking it's uniquely evil to shop at Wal-Mart but not to shop at any of their greedy rear end competitors.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Mr Interweb posted:

Because seppuku is out of style.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Back in Antiquity disgraced politicians would fall on their swords. Something to bring back.

I wonder if Cameron's considering it. I mean, you'd have to go back to the time when the monarchy actually had real power to find a British politician who'd hosed things up this badly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Noam Chomsky posted:

walmarts cheap whether you make enough to shop at kroger or not

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i don't shop, but if i did i'd shop at whatevers cheapest no matter what

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Dem platform draft committee voted to put opposition to the death penalty in the platform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
My mom told me during a Fox News commercial break that the Brexit vote was a good thing because both Obama and ISIS are mad about it. I asked her why ISIS would be mad about it and she said it was probably the same reason Obama was. I told her that was a very black and white way to look at the wold and she accused me of calling her a racist, so that is about where most of the Fox News viewing audience stands on the subject.

• Locked thread