Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I decided to try and learn Zarya today, and god drat is it satisfying when you see a riptire bearing down on your oblivious Lucio and you save his dumb deaf rear end with a shield :dva:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm seeing a TON of Zarya's recently. I think people are finally getting over the initial fear with her (because she is a REALLY weird character at first) and she's starting to click with people

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The red team rolled 6x Torbs on Volskaya.. :smith:

1:48 to cap both points because torb is utter poo poo

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

I had a couple of rounds last night where Zenyatta finally started to ~click~ for me, and oh my god.

Completely shredding tanks by plinking them in the face with marbles from halfway across the map just feels so good

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Macaluso posted:

I'm seeing a TON of Zarya's recently. I think people are finally getting over the initial fear with her (because she is a REALLY weird character at first) and she's starting to click with people

Once you figure out her shields you can tank her like crazy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Macaluso posted:

I figured that was due to a load of people watching the Korean girl play her. :v:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Bastion is the only true tank in the game if you think about it.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

sbaldrick posted:

Once you figure out her shields you can tank her like crazy.

The first couple of times I played her I got the barriers mixed up with Symmetra's shields, so I spent the entire setup time going around and sticking one on each of my teammates before heading back to guard the point

I couldn't figure out why everyone kept dying and I never got a charge :downs:

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

ItBurns posted:

The red team rolled 6x Torbs on Volskaya.. :smith:

1:48 to cap both points because torb is utter poo poo

What do you recommend against a comp like this? I've seen it a few times in pub play and it was a pain in the rear end to break volskaya B with 6 torbs staggering molten cores so that there was 1-2 every time we pushed in.

I know conceptually that widow and pharah and junkrat are all good picks, but it's really shut down the pubbies I've played with.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Or more likely, that story got out about that pro Zarya player accused of cheating and they want to be like pro lady.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

2 SPOOKY posted:

What do you recommend against a comp like this? I've seen it a few times in pub play and it was a pain in the rear end to break volskaya B with 6 torbs staggering molten cores so that there was 1-2 every time we pushed in.

I know conceptually that widow and pharah and junkrat are all good picks, but it's really shut down the pubbies I've played with.

Zarya. All the way. Turrets are stupid enough that they will shoot the shields and you will become a death goddess and melt their stupid turrets and them.

Basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnJ2ShUew1U

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Mystery Machine posted:

People underrate his stun. Yes it doesn't lead to him get instant kills like he used to, but when a team fight breaks out, McCree is one of two characters with a non-ultimate stun. It opens up a bunch of team play scenarios, and that's pretty powerful and unique. I think you can still get it over Rein shield too, which differentiates him from Roadhog. Maybe you value 76's contributions more, but McCree does have that niche. He by no means fills a DPS role by himself, though, but I don't think that's the point.

Yeah, this 100%

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

2 SPOOKY posted:

I recommend playing with people you know because even if you're all bad, you can at least rest assured that communication, and thus coordination, is actually possible

anything that can deal damage from range is good against torb. reinhardt invalidates the sentries entirely because their dps is so pathetic. a d.va can actually do surprisingly well since she can fly up to a nest while blocking the damage, and sentries can't headshot you so her biggest flaw is mitigated. junkrat on offense is kinda eh tho so I'd pick pharah for explosive damage, especially since those turrets will make your riptire pretty tough to use effectively. soldier's pretty great for killing sentries but he can only do one at a time since you need the helix rockets for a level 2. you kinda want to go fast tho because molten core is a really good ult

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Flik runs gimmick comps all the time and this may be useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-RIUHyKXYw

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

2 SPOOKY posted:

A junkrat can clear out turrets in like 10 seconds. Soldier can Helix+Burst Fire one down almost instantly. Widow. A Rein shield with any DPS. Torb is a trash pick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Torb can be strong but it really involves smart turret placement and knowing A) When to let your turret die and B) He has an extremely good gun and you should be using it. Seriously. If a fight is going on don't stop to upgrade your turret if it isn't up, drop it and then start shooting guys.

Even so he's pretty weak at the moment.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Torb can be strong but it really involves smart turret placement and knowing A) When to let your turret die and B) He has an extremely good gun and you should be using it. Seriously. If a fight is going on don't stop to upgrade your turret if it isn't up, drop it and then start shooting guys.

Even so he's pretty weak at the moment.

he's bad though

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

his gun sure isn't

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
the main thing thats nice about torb is you can snowball a lead on king of the hill really effectively as him by taking all those armor packs

although the recent bugfix made it so he can't grab scrap while he's dead so it's harder to do this

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

his gun sure isn't

its not though and he's even worse when the turret is down or not firing which is 75% of the time which is why nobody plays him except goons and all 9 ps4 owners

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ItBurns posted:

its not though and he's even worse when the turret is down or not firing which is 75% of the time which is why nobody plays him except goons and all 9 ps4 owners

Dwarf Fortress on Hanamura A is kinda brutal. But the trick to torbjorn is not to be like vanilla TF2 engineer just jerking off on your turret all game, and instead use it as area denial or a trap you lead people into.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ItBurns posted:

What? Torb's gun is really solid at close range and the projectiles can do surprising damage if you headshot with them from afar.

Zoness posted:

the main thing thats nice about torb is you can snowball a lead on king of the hill really effectively as him by taking all those armor packs

although the recent bugfix made it so he can't grab scrap while he's dead so it's harder to do this

Good luck picking Torb in KOTH without someone on your team throwing a fit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ItBurns posted:

primary does 70 damage, has no falloff, and can headshot; alt can do up to 150 if all the pellets hit. you can oneshot a tracer with a good shot

it doesn't have to be the best in the game to be good. he can absolutely hold his own if he gets caught in a fight. the quality of his gun has nothing to do with why people don't play him (tho actually you can go watch the best team in europe run a torb against the second best team on hollywood live right now if you want)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Torb is a super common pick, I don't know what the hell that guy's talking about. I solo queue 95% of the time so you can't even say it's a goon thing. He's pretty much a constant on defense teams.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
He's the least picked competitive hero right now (I think?) so I assume people are talking about that. Even at the top tier of pubs though he can still work, but he has some very glaring weaknesses. The problem is if you ever buffed anything about Torb he'd stomp low level games even harder than he does now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Assuming you meant that he's the least played, that's actually wrong, Zen has been the least played for a few weeks now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

in comp he gets played sometimes on defense during the first point of nubani and hollywood but that's about it. once the cart starts moving, the torb swaps off to something else

the other maps don't seem very good for torb in high level play. his sentry dies too fast and does too little damage to do much more than stall a little, tho stalling is the reason he gets picked at all in the first place. he can defend himself just fine if it comes to that and his ult is really good for that as well, but he can't really kill a lot of people fast and he doesn't synergize with other ults. also he has no mobility options

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
In-house starting. Stream starting shortly: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ItBurns posted:

Left click does 140 damage a headshot with no fall off and right click can reliably 2 shot Winston/DVA and bring down any of the other tanks in 3-4 shots. A decent torb can absolutely ruin your goddamn day. poo poo you pretty much play him like a TFC engineer with the turret watching a flank and you roam the area shotgunning people

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Torb's gun owns, he just doesn't have anything else going for him as a direct combat character. If he could give that thing to Genji or Winston or Lucio or half the cast of this game, they'd be ridiculous.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Just wait until the actually good players get ahold of this 'torb' guy. The hidden goon meta will be the single most #disruptive force in overwatch since widowmaker.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

As it turns out, double winston is REALLY bad against torb.

Torb is good and fun, I've starting seeing him in KOTH too.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
13k damage career best lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Went 23-5 with Roadhog in my first match and promptly lost my next half dozen. Game is real good IMHO. Didn't think I would get sucked into something like TF2 again.

Is there any sort of penalty for disconnecting? My internet has been unstable lately and while it's usually fine there's the occasional match where I get dropped.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ItBurns posted:

13k damage career best lmao

:jerkbag:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

that's only like 3 torb headshots at close range.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is there any sort of penalty for disconnecting? My internet has been unstable lately and while it's usually fine there's the occasional match where I get dropped.

Yes. You will eventually get a warning and then a 75% xp penalty until your 'full game played' percentage goes back up the minimum. It is always based on your last 20 games played.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Torb can poo poo out 75 armor at regular intervals

The best part is that using it to become Rambojörn doesn't mean less armor for your team; the more you roam around shotgunning tracers to death, the more scrap you pick up, the more armor those losers get. It's a win-win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ItBurns posted:

that's only like 3 torb headshots at close range.

http://i.imgur.com/82GJJgw.mp4