Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Photonicinduction is messing around with a 1000 watt lightbulb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DMUm5PZ0hU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pingiivi posted:

Photonicinduction is messing around with a 1000 watt lightbulb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DMUm5PZ0hU

:vince:

That second bulb...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wasabi the J posted:

:3:

This isn't even rare for him, he does this poo poo all the time; that's so loving cool.

Oh man :kimchi:

That's awesome.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

:vince:

That second bulb...

I love how as he's acquiring more and more gear, his apartment is gradually looking more and more like a set from Fallout

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Code Jockey posted:

I love how as he's acquiring more and more gear, his apartment is gradually looking more and more like a set from Fallout

Specifically one of the Doctor's houses in BIG MT.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pharmaskittle posted:

The ones where I live in the dirty south are big dumb idiots that don't bite or anything, and are guaranteed to die on their own time indoors

Pretty harlmess everywhere, I saw them a lot as a kid when I lived in the UK. Only difference is the accent and they condescendingly drink your tea :argh:

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
0.6 mm tungsten carbide drill bit :getin:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Greatest Living Man posted:

Easy fix with a pair of tweezers.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

These guys have spent the last week repainting the water tower across the parking lot from my office:

Near as I could tell, they were being pretty OSHA complaint, except the guy on the ground doesn't have a hardhat on.

Update:

I can't tell completely, but it doesn't look like this guy is wearing a safety harness:

Edit: Just saw him stand up and walk around a bit, definitely not wearing a harness.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I lived near some huge tanks. You would hardly believe the skull piercing sound that comes from an empty million-gallon steel tank when being sandblasted. Reeeeallllly amplifies an already horrible noise.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Champenema posted:

I lived near some huge tanks. You would hardly believe the skull piercing sound that comes from an empty million-gallon steel tank when being sandblasted. Reeeeallllly amplifies an already horrible noise.

Industrial cleaning? Well let's not jump to conclusions my friend, that noise could easily be caused by aliens or by bigfoot or by angels blowing horns and heralding in the apocalypse or by the sickened earth crying out!

(There's been a whole bunch of 'mystery noises' in the last few years which have lead to dumb locals and conspiracy theorists coming up with a shitload of ridiculous explanations but it always turns out to be some redneck cutting up old drums with an angle grinder or something like that.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
One of my earliest college summer jobs was bead blasting the inside of milk tank railcars to prep them for relining.. You think it's loud outside?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

One of my earliest college summer jobs was bead blasting the inside of milk tank railcars to prep them for relining.. You think it's loud outside?

Did you wear ear plugs and ear muffs?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That sounds like a very smelly job. Rancid milk? ugh.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Burning_Monk posted:

That sounds like a very smelly job. Rancid milk? ugh.

It's not as bad as you might think. Probably.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Update:

I can't tell completely, but it doesn't look like this guy is wearing a safety harness:

Edit: Just saw him stand up and walk around a bit, definitely not wearing a harness.

the safety vest will make his broken corpse easy to spot

e. if that is indeed a neon green safety vest and not a monster energy tshirt or something

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dillbag posted:

the safety vest will make his broken corpse easy to spot

e. if that is indeed a neon green safety vest and not a monster energy tshirt or something

It was some sort of neon green t-shirt with the sleeves cut off.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Greatest Living Man posted:

Meat grinder :getout:

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Say Nothing posted:

Holy poo poo that's gross

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Say Nothing posted:

holy gently caress

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Say Nothing posted:

This is what hands should look like.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Holy poo poo, why would you even take an xray of that, you'd think they'd jump straight to just removing the forearm. Maybe I underestimate modern medicine, because I'd think you'd write that poo poo off immediately.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

Holy poo poo, why would you even take an xray of that, you'd think they'd jump straight to just removing the forearm. Maybe I underestimate modern medicine, because I'd think you'd write that poo poo off immediately.

Who said it's still attached?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Pharmaskittle posted:

curiosity and posterity would be reason enough for me

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Makes a good poster to put next to the meat grinder.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Lurking Haro posted:

Who said it's still attached?

fair enough

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

MariusLecter posted:

Did you wear ear plugs and ear muffs?

Yes and two pairs of muffs (one was a speciality overmuff)

MariusLecter posted:

It's not as bad as you might think. Probably.

No it was that bad. Middle of a Wisconsin summer parked in a switchyard and wearing a poo poo ton of PPE including a full face shield respirator with goggles underneath because you don't want any ricocheting bead fragments getting in your eyes, and in a steel tube they will ricochet in the most hosed up ways when they shatter.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DemeaninDemon posted:

Makes a good poster to put next to the meat grinder.

Also, you can't always tell how hosed the bone is from the outside.

Even if you can, you can't always tell where the first break is. Doctors want to leave as much limb as possible, even if it's just a stump to attach a prosthetic to.

But still: holy poo poo

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Here is an update to that youtube dumping video.

http://news3lv.com/news/local/viral-video-claims-to-show-illegal-dumping

The company has been identified to News 3 by officials as Production Pattern and Foundry. It is an aluminum foundry in Mound House Nevada with 200 employees. The company spoke off the phone to News 3 affiliate News 4 in Reno. They confirmed that Cliff is still employed at PPF, the cameraman is not.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Posting the video to youtube and rather than reporting to the authorities was foolish, he wanted attention not justice.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
why not both? there are thousands of *small businesses* out there doing the exact same thing, maybe this will get some other people to speak up and it's a lot harder to silence this way than if you just file an anonymous report to get lost in bureaucratic shuffle. It seems like this got the authorities' attention too.
I would not want to work in an industrial setting with people I pissed off by reporting (word could get back somehow who was the squeaky wheel), there is precedent for "accidents" happening to those kind of people

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

If you passed that sixty-first amendment and made him president, the rest of the world would just love it. Instead, you'll be getting Trump and the world's contempt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBrt-mdNmQ

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

John Denver Hoxha posted:

why not both? there are thousands of *small businesses* out there doing the exact same thing, maybe this will get some other people to speak up and it's a lot harder to silence this way than if you just file an anonymous report to get lost in bureaucratic shuffle. It seems like this got the authorities' attention too.
I would not want to work in an industrial setting with people I pissed off by reporting (word could get back somehow who was the squeaky wheel), there is precedent for "accidents" happening to those kind of people
Publishing photo or video of work activities or company assets without approval is against most boilerplate company policies and is grounds for dismissal. So if you're OK giving up what little employment protections you already have like losing out on unemployment benefits or wrongful dismissal protection, feel free to blow the whistle on YouTube or liveleaks instead of working with agencies or journalists who can both focus on the whistleblowing without sticking your rear end in the wind.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zopotantor posted:

If you passed that sixty-first amendment and made him president, the rest of the world would just love it. Instead, you'll be getting Trump and the world's contempt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBrt-mdNmQ

Well, the rest of the world isn't doing too well, as it is. So, maybe, their contempt isn't exactly scathing!

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

zedprime posted:

Publishing photo or video of work activities or company assets without approval is against most boilerplate company policies and is grounds for dismissal. So if you're OK giving up what little employment protections you already have like losing out on unemployment benefits or wrongful dismissal protection, feel free to blow the whistle on YouTube or liveleaks instead of working with agencies or journalists who can both focus on the whistleblowing without sticking your rear end in the wind.

I wouldn't want to be involved with those people in any way at all, I would also post the video as a gently caress you as I go out the door instead of having to deal with any formal process or putting my name on any forms, I hate paperwork and dealing with bureaucrats (and if it went viral and I made a name for myself that's just a bonus). Why are you all taking issue with this guy at all, he just blew the whistle in about the most blatant way possible (more than a million views and I've seen people I know who I wouldn't picture browsing the EPA's reports on illegal dumping activities or some small town newspaper's report on illegal business practices post it on facebook) and drew attention to a very common issue.

John Denver Hoxha fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 25, 2016

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

like I can see the value of going to those people are for when places cut corners maybe (and you can call them on it in a safe way) when a company is being this blatantly awful and just flaunting every the very idea of environmental protection, I think it's a perfectly reasonable case to just like post a video of you doing the shoulder shrug and basically saying "hey yeah, these assholes really have the gall to force people to literally dump barrels of contaminants in the desert like some scene from a movie or poo poo, sorry about this" but yeah maybe that's not the beep boop logical path

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This one is so blatant so it's hard to argue against public whistleblowing, but most cases are probably more questionable. When some dude posts an "expose" about something that turns out to be legitimate or previously cleared with authorities and it becomes viral, he not only risks getting fired but also being sued into bankruptcy for libel.

There's just no upside except the fame.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
At least if you just state it as "this is what Conglomocorp is paying its workers yo do" rather than "look at these fuckos breaking the law" it should be much easier to defend against libel, but whoop knows about trade secret stuff or whatever.

At least on the plus side, if it turns out that they got clearance to dump chemical waste in the orphanage's water supply you could also use the video as a jumping off point to get an explanation on exactly why it was ok and/or potentially launch corruption probes

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

John Denver Hoxha posted:

I wouldn't want to be involved with those people in any way at all, I would also post the video as a gently caress you as I go out the door instead of having to deal with any formal process or putting my name on any forms, I hate paperwork and dealing with bureaucrats (and if it went viral and I made a name for myself that's just a bonus). Why are you all taking issue with this guy at all, he just blew the whistle in about the most blatant way possible (more than a million views and I've seen people I know who I wouldn't picture browsing the EPA's reports on illegal dumping activities or some small town newspaper's report on illegal business practices post it on facebook) and drew attention to a very common issue.
I only said you are giving up all personal protection by personally publishing it. You're taking on all the risk to your life and livelihood. Noone hires a whistleblower even if they were correct. They especially aren't going to hire a whistleblower who appears to be a social media threat. You're giving very explicit cause for termination in a setting where the companies already hold a huge deal of power because of at-will employment laws.

If you're lucky, you can take it to the union. If you're unlucky, you can take it to an agency or the press. If you want to dedicate the rest of your life to the cause, because you will probably otherwise be underemployed for the rest of your life, you post it yourself on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

What if you need that arm for injecting heroin?