Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

this new mindslaver rules change is really loving stupid

What rules changes is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

What's the change?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4pplrm/rules_update_controlling_another_player_and/

the most important part:

quote:

Simply put, you can now never see an opponent's sideboard, even if you control that opponent. The exact language of the rule is being finalized.

If you force a player you're controlling to cast a "Wish," you can't have them access any cards in their sideboard. If you make them cast Death Wish, the same rule applies: no cards, even at random sight unseen.

not looking at a SB seems ok but making it so wishes dont work on people you're mind slaving seems really dumb

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 25, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah that seems dumb, especially when they're printing a new wish so this will be pretty much the first time a mindslaver and a wish are both in the same standard and potentially playable.

I forget what they changed with flip cards for SOI but I recall that being a functional change too (I think it was color identity is only the front side, even when they're flipped?) and it would be nice if they wouldn't make largely useless edge-case functional changes.

Like I can understand global changes like "dies" or the M10 rules update or the 6E rules update and the changes that go in to make those work correctly (like Lotus Vale's errata). But there's no reason to close this down other than some minor tournament function changes.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah that seems dumb, especially when they're printing a new wish so this will be pretty much the first time a mindslaver and a wish are both in the same standard and potentially playable.

I forget what they changed with flip cards for SOI but I recall that being a functional change too (I think it was color identity is only the front side, even when they're flipped?) and it would be nice if they wouldn't make largely useless edge-case functional changes.

Like I can understand global changes like "dies" or the M10 rules update or the 6E rules update and the changes that go in to make those work correctly (like Lotus Vale's errata). But there's no reason to close this down other than some minor tournament function changes.

Also CMC is always of the front face so no more blowing up insectile aberration with EE on 0.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

I think it had to do with stacking multiple flip triggers on a card that is currently on side A to make it flip back to side A without using its side B flip.

I think that rule is actually ok though even if it's inelegant.

kirtar posted:

Also CMC is always of the front face so no more blowing up insectile aberration with EE on 0.

Yeah but this is how it always should have been too imo (in the sense that I stopped playing between MBS and RTR so when I first played with DFCs again this is how I thought they worked) but some weird designer guys have weird ideas about cards.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4pplrm/rules_update_controlling_another_player_and/

the most important part:

not looking at a SB seems ok but making it so wishes dont work on people you're mind slaving seems really dumb

Not a fan either, and :agreed: about the Wish note, it's "too much".

The transforming changes I'm cool with mostly, one is fixing a minor loophole, the other makes sense (since CMC has tended to correlate with "power", in the general case, it doesn't make sense why Avacyn would die to Pernicious Deed for 0 along with Ornithopters), and as much as I don't like all of Commander's colour issues, it DOES make sense that a creature that's W on the front and R on the back would be BOTH overall.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

P1P2 Fulminator Mage

Seriously?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zoness posted:

Agreed. It's like they're trying to change rules for things they're bringing back into standard to avoid any kind of feelbads or confusion except the things they think people are getting confused about aren't confusing.

Personally I think they changed the rule because they're too incompetent to implement the look at their sideboard feature on MTGO and want paper to match.

Zoness posted:

Yeah but this is how it always should have been too imo (in the sense that I stopped playing between MBS and RTR so when I first played with DFCs again this is how I thought they worked) but some weird designer guys have weird ideas about cards.

That's how it always should have been but it wasn't so changing it now just introduces a ton of confusion for no reason. Like even now 4 months or whatever later, in my head Repeal can bounce a flipped Delver for U.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

the fact that they would do this but not do anything about the Brain in a Jar / Fuse ruling is beyond me.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Serperoth posted:

Yeah, hoping for another pair of Exemplar nominations soon.

The current wave got announced this week.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Count Bleck posted:

P1P2 Fulminator Mage

Seriously?

What was missing?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Some Numbers posted:

What was missing?

An uncommon. :wtc:

I'm 2-0, today I learned Stillmoon Cavalier is A Really Good Card.

I've got this pile:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 25, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It could have easily been Incremental Blight, Jaws of Stone or Biting Tether.

Especially if the drafter didn't know what Fulminator Mages are worth.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
How do people feel about SoI draft anyways? I'm not that big of a fan, but I want to hear other opinions rather than just assume it's a bad limited format.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

the Orb of Zot posted:

How do people feel about SoI draft anyways? I'm not that big of a fan, but I want to hear other opinions rather than just assume it's a bad limited format.

I love SoI draft. I've played it a bunch of times and had a lot of fun with it.

Last one i was at a guy won it with a Dmir deck, so UB isn't as underpowered in limited as everyone thinks.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

An uncommon. :wtc:

I'm 2-0, today I learned Stillmoon Cavalier is A Really Good Card.

I've got this pile:

Doesn't black and blue cast every card in your deck? Why are there so many colors in your mana base?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShadeofBlue posted:

Doesn't black and blue cast every card in your deck? Why are there so many colors in your mana base?

I realized this right after I went into round 1, yeah.

Edit: Lost in the finals and got to play another one, got a pretty cool rear end mono green deck

:allears:

Things I have learned:

Wither applies -1/-1 counters one at a time, which makes Flourishing Defenses trigger multiple times.

Rhys is neat.

Presence of Gond is also neat.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 25, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Around 800 people at GP Taipei. I'm 0-1 already, if I lose next round I'm quitting to play Modern.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

the Orb of Zot posted:

It's a very very good limited format.

Retromancer posted:

Last one i was at a guy won it with a Dmir deck, so UB isn't as underpowered in limited as everyone thinks.

Do people think UB is underpowered? I remember it being very strong and BR being the underpowered one.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

the Orb of Zot posted:

I don't love it. I find it kinda middling. I've done pretty well with the format and played it a ton, but I'm not very impressed with it. I can't put my finger on exactly why though. Part of it is probably that I've lost the first round every time I've had a good interesting deck, and won with some of the boringest decks assembled this side of origins.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

the Orb of Zot posted:

It's really good for experienced drafters because there's a wide variety of interesting and viable decks. There's a healthy balance between aggro, midrange, control, and goofy synergy decks. Lots of ways to use excess lands and slowly generate value means there's few board stalls and more meaningful decisions.

It's not that good for new players though because the more obvious tribal synergies are all traps, and new players have a hard time understanding why they would want to sacrifice their own permanents, discard cards, or mill themselves. The flavor is good which helps make up for this a bit.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I want to start playing non Pauper MTG again. Somebody talk me out of it.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Play on Tabletop Simulator for free.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

i mean it can't be worse than playing against ghostly flicker right

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

that money could be used for food

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mandatory lesbian posted:

that money could be used for food

I do like food. I could also finish my sleeve or buy a VR headset or buy a few hundred sodas.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

buy a vive then play tabletop simulator MtG for free with it. It'll be like you're actually playing cards in real life!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Elyv posted:

I'm willing to buy that they thought spatial contortion and tendrils would be playable. Not willing to buy that they thought Vestige was playable, though.

Vestige is an interesting card in Pauper. It's an odd pick for a FNM card but I'd consider it more reasonable than spatial.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

the Orb of Zot posted:

I don't draft all that often, but I have tried one here and there since Mirrodin. SOI is the first draft I've won more than one round, so I like it! I managed to take all three rounds, with Sin Prodder and Insolent Neonate doing most of the work. I probably just got lucky, but it was still the most fun I've had drafting.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
SOI draft is fun! Green is probably a little too good, but all the colors are viable and there's a lot of decent archetypes.

Best format since 3x KTK imo.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

It's a very very good limited format.

Do people think UB is underpowered? I remember it being very strong and BR being the underpowered one.

It's not unplayable but it's very weak imo. Blue is the worst color in the set, and Black is a support color with a few powerful cards and removal spells, but few ways to actually close games out.

BR can be good if you get a lot of good madness stuff but it's really hard because all the enablers and payoff are at uncommon so they're no guarantee you'll see the cards you need.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

little munchkin posted:

It's not unplayable but it's very weak imo. Blue is the worst color in the set, and Black is a support color with a few powerful cards and removal spells, but few ways to actually close games out.

BR can be good if you get a lot of good madness stuff but it's really hard because all the enablers and payoff are at uncommon so they're no guarantee you'll see the cards you need.

Sorry, I just realized that I misunderstood the conversation and I thought you were talking about Shadowmoor.

I haven't drafted SoI.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

rabidsquid posted:

I do like food. I could also finish my sleeve or buy a VR headset or buy a few hundred sodas.

Ask me how to spend it all on your car :dance:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

Think of us. Every time you want to play this game, remember the goons, and imagine getting paired against one of us in a tournament.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I drafted tonight, did reasonably well.

Didn't catch it until game 3, but what looked like my opponent sideboarding was him manaweaving. He had been doing this in the previous games as well, so I mentioned "hey, if you sufficiently randomize your deck, manaweaving serves no purpose."

Afterwards he pile shuffled, did three awkward not-quite mash-cut shuffles and presented his deck. So, not sufficiently randomized at all.

I picked up his deck, did 14 quick mash shuffles, cut it, and handed it back.

I'm unsure if it did anything, but it's one of those moments where I didn't feel like I needed to watch my opponent. It's unfortunate that this guy, either out of ignorance or duplicity, was stacking his deck every game.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Looking at the MTG Goldfish home page I happened to notice on the sidebar that Nimbus Maze was apparently bought out this week, as its average price is now nearly $40.00. Is there anything to this or is this just some random speculation? (probably hot hot speculation i know)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

just rust posted:

Looking at the MTG Goldfish home page I happened to notice on the sidebar that Nimbus Maze was apparently bought out this week, as its average price is now nearly $40.00. Is there anything to this or is this just some random speculation? (probably hot hot speculation i know)

No, it's the worst of the cycle and to my knowledge has no place in Modern or any other format at present.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, it's the worst of the cycle and to my knowledge has no place in Modern or any other format at present.

It's barely playable in commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The reason it would ever see play is if it were reprinted in Standard, and even then $40 for a slightly-blinged-out version of a $3 card is not going to pay off even if it is reprinted. Even in Standard it probably wouldn't see play unless you had typed duals or need specifically colourless mana for something, and it would be strange of wizards to print a third set of allied lands while zendikar was still around.

It seems like a pretty poor spec choice, honestly. They'd be better off buying out River of Tears, which is never going to be reprinted but at least has niche playability.

• Locked thread