Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rupert has his own Rupert now :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

beep by grandpa posted:

Rupert has his own Rupert now :3:

Hey, that's awesome; I do!

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

My last day at the office tomorrow, and I found out another dude I don't really work with is a huge Stern fan too :negative:

Tomorrow I'm going out with a bang and doing a Richard/Sal style prank call.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Two parts of the show that have been consistently amazing for the past few years: Sour Shoes and Wolfie.

Wolfie studying The JD was an amazing bit that lasted for days, and I love his convention interviews.

As for Sour... I WANT him to go to jail! His George Takei is loving amazing, he actually manages to be funnier then the real guy. It's like his IQ goes up by 50 points when he is pretending to be someone else.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wolfie studying The JD was an amazing bit that lasted for days, and I love his convention interviews.

Wolfie stirring up a bunch of back room drama and exposing Bobo as a casual listener has been great (don't care if the Bobo bits are manufactured, I love listening to them goof on him).

Also, JD has crippling anxiety and I don't know how he gets through the day. His parents failed him so bad.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Squashy Nipples posted:

Two parts of the show that have been consistently amazing for the past few years: Sour Shoes and Wolfie.

As for Sour... I WANT him to go to jail! His George Takei is loving amazing, he actually manages to be funnier then the real guy. It's like his IQ goes up by 50 points when he is pretending to be someone else.

I love Sour so much....but when he isnt Sour and is actually talking real, it FREAKS me the gently caress out.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I love Sour so much....but when he isnt Sour and is actually talking real, it FREAKS me the gently caress out.

This freaks me out for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECLxDGAitIQ

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Listening back to old stuff it's hilarious to see how sad and misinformed Howard was about married life. He used to give not only Jackie and Fred but Billy West a ton of poo poo over their wives and start spouting off all these tips he knew about how your wife shouldn't be too involved in your life and so on.

It's so amazingly easy to see why his marriage to Alison failed when you just listen to his idea of how a wife should be and what his day as like after coming home. If they had that marriage in today's time the 143 saga would have involved Howard and not Sal.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If you work all day then your wife should be happy to be provided for and not bug you or talk to you while you're at home. Oh what you want a divorce?!

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Crotch Bat posted:

If they had that marriage in today's time the 143 saga would have involved Howard and not Sal.

It's entirely possible that something like that did happen, didn't she get remarried almost immediately after their divorce was finalised? Alison having an emotional friend makes a lot of sense when you consider that her husband was a) an emotionless robot who hid in his basement jerking off and b) lusting after other women all day on his nationally syndicated radio/TV show.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, she may well have been sleeping around, apparently she was popular with rich Long Island dudes? The guy she married is actually wealthier then Howard.

She must have the most amazing personality ever, because she was unattractive even when she was young.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, she may well have been sleeping around, apparently she was popular with rich Long Island dudes? The guy she married is actually wealthier then Howard.

Actually, no. If I remember correctly, she married a guy named David Simon, who has the same name as a rich guy who owns shopping malls. The guy she married is just a psychologist (or something along those lines).

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

prefect posted:

Actually, no. If I remember correctly, she married a guy named David Simon, who has the same name as a rich guy who owns shopping malls. The guy she married is just a psychologist (or something along those lines).

She met this guy during a divorce, he's a psychologist.....did Howard's behavior basically drive her into the arms of this guy? Because that's funny if true. Talk about the ultimate self-sabotage.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

prefect posted:

Welp, when your're wrong, you're wrong. I thought she married the mall magnate.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

She met this guy during a divorce, he's a psychologist.....did Howard's behavior basically drive her into the arms of this guy? Because that's funny if true. Talk about the ultimate self-sabotage.

Well, she was a psych major in college, and did social work before her kids were born, so maybe not.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Welp, when your're wrong, you're wrong. I thought she married the mall magnate.

Well, she was a psych major in college, and did social work before her kids were born, so maybe not.

Yeah, I'll retract. I thought it was a case of seeking solace that goes towards the romantic. Still, interesting that Alison was into psychology given how paranoid Stern is.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She probably looks like hell these days but I always thought younger Allison was attractive. Not as absurd as JD and his current girlfriend, but certainly way out of Howard's league.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Is Howard leaning to how to tattoo now?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

FelineMom4Life

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

FelineMom4Life

Beth should get that as a tattoo.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Just caught up enough to hear Howard's "sheep/sheepdog" speech... it was even WORSE then I expected. And loving Quivers going right along with it.

At least Ralph kept pushing back.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Just caught up enough to hear Howard's "sheep/sheepdog" speech... it was even WORSE then I expected. And loving Quivers going right along with it.

At least Ralph kept pushing back.

He stole it from that sniper movie you dummies.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I still haven't met anyone irl that listens to the show.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I like to scream out " DROPPING LOADS ON ERIC THE MIDGET'S POWER CHAIR; UGLY MIDGET, WET POWER CHAIR" when filling out COBRA paperwork with all the other new hires

ahem.. I believe it was "MIDGET gently caress... WET POWER CHAIR"

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

an adult beverage posted:

I still haven't met anyone irl that listens to the show.

Listening to Stern has always been my "dirty little secret", but the only two co-workers I consider my true friends also happen to listen to Stern. It's pretty cool - we'll send each other random clip packs from YouTube almost daily.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Alison having an emotional friend makes a lot of sense when you consider that her husband was a) an emotionless robot who hid in his basement jerking off and b) lusting after other women all day on his nationally syndicated radio/TV show.

I always felt really bad for her, because Howard pretty openly seemed to despise her. They didn't even sleep in the same bed.

I also have some vague memory of him talking (during the E! days) about trying and failing to get her going with basic foreplay, and it came across as him complaining about her rather than being self-deprecating about his lack of ability like he does now.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I always felt really bad for her, because Howard pretty openly seemed to despise her. They didn't even sleep in the same bed.

I also have some vague memory of him talking (during the E! days) about trying and failing to get her going with basic foreplay, and it came across as him complaining about her rather than being self-deprecating about his lack of ability like he does now.

I do remember Robin buying them a vibrator to help spice up the love life.

If I am play armchair shrink, I'd say they just grew apart. They met in college and I suspect that after 3 kids and a career plus Howard's high profile and "personality" it changes a person. I'm certainly not the same person I was when I was 23.

I also have a feeling that their youngest child was a conceived to try and save the marriage. I can't count how many times I've seen married couples go through a rough patch and think a kid will make everything better.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 24, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bonzo posted:

I also have a feeling that their youngest child was a conceived to try and save the marriage. I can't count how many times I've seen married couples go through a rough patch and think a kid will make everything better.

Before he would agree to a third kid, Howard demanded that Alison promise that he would never have to be involved. He'd pay for nannies and anything they needed, but she was never allowed to hassle him about it.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
I know Howard is definitely an absentee father but it still seems strange to me that a stay at home mom would need a nanny.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I mean you still probably want some time to yourself. I'm guessing it was something like she was bugging him for another kid and he basically said, "okay, but I'm not doing my share this time, I'm tired of it, I'll pay someone to do my share."

Sounds unreasonable but who knows how I'd feel after two kids and my wife bugging me for a third I don't really want.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Pre-Divorce Howard was the best :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mW5v59vf3A

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

He was so miserable and so angry and so, so funny. :(

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I haven't listened to much of Howard while he was married, but the period immediately after his divorce was just fascinating radio.

My daughter's using the phone! WAHHHHHH! She's calling from New York to Maryland! Wahhhhh! I wake up at 4 AM! Wahhhhh!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
It's super important to note that by this time he was a multi-millionaire.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Holy poo poo that is hilarious. He starts off talking about a long distance call, and you assume he's upper-middle class at best at this point, then he talks about Allison taking "the limo" into the city to buy the kids clothes. THE loving LIMO INTO THE CITY.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crotch Bat posted:

It's super important to note that by this time he was a multi-millionaire.

Howard started at WNBC at $200K/year, and was making at least $400K/year plus incentives when they fired him in 1985. And I believe he's always said he got a lot more money when he moved from WNBC to WXRK. The show cast was hanging out all depressed, and Don Buchwald came into the room in a fantastic mood, carrying champagne.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ifzWP0Af_Y

:psyduck: I've been listening to some of these clips between Howard and Allison. He just sounds absolutely mental, and he gets no sympathy from me in any of these clips. He gets completely riled up over inconsequential poo poo constantly, and it might be good radio, but it's just crazy some of the poo poo he's saying to his wife.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 26, 2016

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

prefect posted:

Howard started at WNBC at $200K/year, and was making at least $400K/year plus incentives when they fired him in 1985. And I believe he's always said he got a lot more money when he moved from WNBC to WXRK. The show cast was hanging out all depressed, and Don Buchwald came into the room in a fantastic mood, carrying champagne.

I think when they went to WXRK they started out with a little less but ended up more once they beat WNBC, which is why they were still doing side projects and whatnot all the time. The real paydays didn't start until syndication came in since I believe Howard got a cut of every market they added, which is why he was so brutal to the competition in the new markets.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Djarum posted:

I think when they went to WXRK they started out with a little less but ended up more once they beat WNBC, which is why they were still doing side projects and whatnot all the time. The real paydays didn't start until syndication came in since I believe Howard got a cut of every market they added, which is why he was so brutal to the competition in the new markets.

That's right -- and Jackie asked for raises when they expanded into new markets, which pissed Howard off pretty bad.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

And he didn't always succeed. The Detroit Market is harsh and Stern almost got a foothold on a rebranded station around here before he came and vanished without much of a blip. Only way to get a fix around here was the E! show.

Thought I would mention that, not sure why. Guess I like my hometown radio market? Now I feel sad.

prefect posted:

That's right -- and Jackie asked for raises when they expanded into new markets, which pissed Howard off pretty bad.

What didn't piss off Howard? It seemed that he was just waiting for poo poo to set him off and unleash the brutality. ;)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

prefect posted:

Yeah I believe everyone was kind of sour about it. I don't think most of the rest of the crew got a serious pay bump until the E! show took off and they were number one in multiple markets, so 93-94. I don't think anyone was doing bad per say but not what they were worth until then. You can tell the instant real money started coming into the show is when things got more money put into them period; moving into the better studio, more interns, etc.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

And he didn't always succeed. The Detroit Market is harsh and Stern almost got a foothold on a rebranded station around here before he came and vanished without much of a blip. Only way to get a fix around here was the E! show.

Thought I would mention that, not sure why. Guess I like my hometown radio market? Now I feel sad.

Howard didn't do real well in most of the Midwest in general. He struggled in Chicago famously and most other cities that had him either mismanaged him or couldn't afford to keep him. I am kind of amazed he failed in Detroit since he spent a good chunk of time there and from all accounts was pretty popular in that time. I know it was a sore spot until the end he couldn't get on in Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Advice posted:

Holy poo poo that is hilarious. He starts off talking about a long distance call, and you assume he's upper-middle class at best at this point, then he talks about Allison taking "the limo" into the city to buy the kids clothes. THE loving LIMO INTO THE CITY.
Howard's greatest talent is making you side with him even when he's whining about very rich guy problems. SS Mund, petcock, the Sega Channel installation, even the argument where Gange didn't promptly give Howard a Larry Sanders Show tape that Howard paid him to record. Although it helps that the people on the other side of the argument tend to be dolts.