Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it actually sorta fit in gw1 since that game had a vaguely consistent art style

not so much in gw2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hi I've just reinstalled the thread after not posting in it since release is it worth posting in again did anyone ever update the OP

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Man that links example is poo poo, but I think I get it. I always take the route to make fun of myself whenever I see it, so if that's softball pitching then get in line cause my rear end is camping the pitcher's mound.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Traps are actually still pretty good, they're just under a lot of competition right now, Sharpened Edges is exclusive with Trapper's Expertise and Glyphs take up your utility slots. I usually end up slotting and traiting Flame and Snake traps for Thaumanova Anomaly and the Aetherblade Retreat final boss sequence since everyone's running around madly half the time. Still can't throw them if that was the dealbreaker though.

Throwing them really was kinda important, especially since the condi weapons were/are ranged. But now that you have to dip in melee to drop seeds and use CA 4 it might not be that big of a deal. Course I doubt it'll beat out glyph of empowerment and sun/frost spirit so I'll have to look into their usefulness outside of dps. Which kinda seems nill?

I can always use it in open world pve though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

did anyone ever update the OP

Nope

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

treizebee posted:

I vote to exit from this thread.

#Threxit

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

I've nearly completed my legendary sadness. The grind is real.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're legit retarded. I mean, this is just like WoW way back when, "those casuals don't need epic purpz, they won't use them, it's only for raids!".
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heart_of_Maguuma_mastery_tracks#Forsaken_Thicket

I'm well aware that you take it as a personal affront to you that there exists content and rewards in this game which you LITERALLY CAN'T ACCESS, but you'll have to explain to me exactly what use you were hoping to get out of the Forsaken Thicket mastery track. It's like saying "I have no interest in doing fractals, so how the gently caress am I supposed to get 150 AR?".

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i think he means mastery in general, not the raid-specific mastery

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

tyblazitar posted:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heart_of_Maguuma_mastery_tracks#Forsaken_Thicket

I'm well aware that you take it as a personal affront to you that there exists content and rewards in this game which you LITERALLY CAN'T ACCESS, but you'll have to explain to me exactly what use you were hoping to get out of the Forsaken Thicket mastery track. It's like saying "I have no interest in doing fractals, so how the gently caress am I supposed to get 150 AR?".

Well you need Rift Traveler to get to the merchant to get the other poo poo. The problem Arus and other people with lives is, they just aren't committed enough to gw2 to gain the exp to fill out all their masteries. Which is fine, those filthy casuals don't deserve them.

You may now resume arguing in favor of content that should only be available to a small committed part of the community because by god they earned it by standing in green circles for every week for 4 months.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Seriously chalking up 2-4 hours 2-3 nights a week is a huge time commitment that a lot of people can't do. I know people who are drat well good enough at the game to clear all the raid content in existence who can't/don't do raids because they're an enormous time commitment. The absolute hardest part of raiding is finding the time to set aside for them. It's not boss mechanics, it's not DPS rotations, it's not learning How To Hug Boss Butts (the #1 skill raiders in GW2 need to know), it's finding the time to set aside for them and finding 9 other people who have the time and the motivation to do the same. They should add a dedicated LFR queue where you can queue up as Tank, Healer, Power DPS, and Condi DPS and versions of the raids with difficulties tuned to being a group of 10 randoms who may or may not have voice chat. Remove Ascendeds from the drop table, cap shards/week at like 50, and let people get LIs.

Also before you smug about "lol casuals mad git gud", A) I clear all of the raid bosses regularly and B) it is stupid to gate people out of stuff for not being good or dedicated enough in an MMO that has always fundamentally been "the MMO for casuals."

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 24, 2016

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I must be the only one who actually likes Masteries I guess. I hate Mastery Points, that part is dumb, and it should just be a boatload of exp, but it's nice to see they found SOME way to utilize max level exp gain.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I had fun with masteries, but I can see where people don't like them. Getting enough XP for Central Tyria masteries is a huge pain in the rear end if you don't fractal regularly and don't want to go sit in CoF for a couple dozen hours.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I kinda actively hate most of the adventures so it sucks to get the last couple mastery points you need.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Magres posted:

Seriously chalking up 2-4 hours 2-3 nights a week is a huge time commitment that a lot of people can't do. I know people who are drat well good enough at the game to clear all the raid content in existence who can't/don't do raids because they're an enormous time commitment. The absolute hardest part of raiding is finding the time to set aside for them. It's not boss mechanics, it's not DPS rotations, it's not learning How To Hug Boss Butts (the #1 skill raiders in GW2 need to know), it's finding the time to set aside for them and finding 9 other people who have the time and the motivation to do the same. They should add a dedicated LFR queue where you can queue up as Tank, Healer, Power DPS, and Condi DPS and versions of the raids with difficulties tuned to being a group of 10 randoms who may or may not have voice chat. Remove Ascendeds from the drop table, cap shards/week at like 50, and let people get LIs.

Also before you smug about "lol casuals mad git gud", A) I clear all of the raid bosses regularly and B) it is stupid to gate people out of stuff for not being good or dedicated enough in an MMO that has always fundamentally been "the MMO for casuals."

Good Post :hfive:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ceaselessfuture posted:

I must be the only one who actually likes Masteries I guess. I hate Mastery Points, that part is dumb, and it should just be a boatload of exp, but it's nice to see they found SOME way to utilize max level exp gain.

There're some that make the game so much more bearable/fun though that they really should be baseline. VB with Advanced Gliding is so much better, but it's 5th on the mastery track.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Magres posted:

I had fun with masteries, but I can see where people don't like them. Getting enough XP for Central Tyria masteries is a huge pain in the rear end if you don't fractal regularly and don't want to go sit in CoF for a couple dozen hours.

Good point. I lived in the Silverwastes after Masteries were introduced, because I'd never done the zone before and needed some money. Ground out my infinite tools and got all the achievements, and now I'm on my final mastery track of all the Tyria masteries with like 1/10 left to go.

If you'd already done all of that, yeah, I can see that being pretty annoying.

Generic Octopus posted:

There're some that make the game so much more bearable/fun though that they really should be baseline. VB with Advanced Gliding is so much better, but it's 5th on the mastery track.

I JUST unlocked Advanced Gliding and holy poo poo I had no idea what I was missing out on.

The entire Gliding tree should probably unlock faster, really. I remember being really buttmad on the first weeks of HoT for having to unlock Basic gliding. That was the absolute worst.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If anyone finds HoT in the bargain bin at Walmart or something for about :10bux:, PM me and I'll send you the cost plus shipping and handling.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

It frustrates me a lot when "hardcore" players don't empathize with "casual" players, especially when we're in your guys' goddamned house . I started playing GW2 with the knowledge that I was going to be a hardcore player in a casual game, and I adjusted accordingly. Demanding the game adjust for me and smugging when the existing populace isn't happy about that is stupid.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:same:

Also sometimes "casual" players are simply "hardcore" ones who grew out of this phase where they could schedule their game time around organized group content or dedicate x hours/evening for game things exclusively. I still enjoy challenging group content and I'd actually do "serious" raiding if I could, but I can't justify playing MMOs like that anymore. But even when I was ten years younger with fewer RL obligations and no other hobbies, while hardcore raiding in WoW I could see the viewpoint of people who couldn't do the same.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I main tanked from vanilla raids all the way through Ulduar and now the concept of raiding is an anathema to my existence, so you ain't wrong.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Generic Octopus posted:

At least it carries between characters. Small blessings?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I love how this mmo of all things causes straight up legit conversation about this kind of poo poo as opposed to just people being big angry shitpiles. Not to day that doesn't still happen every so often.

It's something to be said when even the most upset individual about the game has very self-reflective constructive criticism instead of just outright fuk u anet lol i quit.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Generic Octopus posted:

Well you need Rift Traveler to get to the merchant to get the other poo poo. The problem Arus and other people with lives is, they just aren't committed enough to gw2 to gain the exp to fill out all their masteries. Which is fine, those filthy casuals don't deserve them.
If you don't raid, then the raid merchant won't have anything for you to buy. I was simply trying to point out that "I can't get masteries without doing raids" is a moronic argument but I guess we can just keep pretending two people didn't just say that. As for other masteries, nothing is stopping you from working on them slowly but surely on whatever "20 minutes every second Wednesday"-type schedule you're comfortable with so that's not really relevant to the discussion about raids.

Also FWIW I don't consider myself hardcore and I don't hate casuals. I'm just annoyed by the attitude that everything in GW2 needs to be tuned to the exact same audience (aka Arus), and if something isn't then they shouldn't dare to attach any kind of rewards to it. There are lots of parts of this game that don't interest me, like PvP, WvW, living story, SAB, most world bosses, and even dungeons lately, but when they release a legendary backpack for PvP players or unique Tequatl skins I don't throw a shitfit about needing to do something I don't want to in order to get the rewards; usually I just tell myself "oh well, I don't need that legendary backpack anyway, and I'm sure people who enjoy PvP enjoy the journey of making one". Like I'd understand if legendary armor actually gave you higher stats or had some other unfair advantage, but it's literally just paying a premium for the convenience of having several stats in one set (that will never be less expensive than just making all those sets separately), as well as whatever obnoxious particle effects they add to the same old buttcapes and boobplates.

Oh and I tried giving some tips on raiding without a set dedicated group earlier but if you're convinced that raiding needs to be treated like a full time job to have any success then I doubt I'll convince you otherwise.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maybe if you tried actually speaking to me and asking me what I think and why, rather than spouting off and just telling me what I think, you might come across differently. In the meantime, :allears:

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.
This thread:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 26, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I'm boggled by the way in which you continue to miss the point that it's not just that the armor is behind raids, it's behind 4 months of raids.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Even if I had a solid group to raid with and everyone was super amazing at it and it went incredibly smooth every single time I still couldn't be bothered to spend that much time doing the exact same thing over and over. The GW2 experience died for me when I played all the zones to death and ran out of variety.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
I think we have both displayed about equal willingness to engage in mature discussion here, but I hardly think it's unfair to let literal years of whining about how Anet is catering to hardcore nolifers and ruining everything for Us Honest Casuals influence my impression of you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tyblazitar posted:

I think we have both displayed about equal willingness to engage in mature discussion here, but I hardly think it's unfair to let literal years of whining about how Anet is catering to hardcore nolifers and ruining everything for Us Honest Casuals influence my impression of you.

Oh my god you have to be trolling, or maybe you're some kind of caricature of the Goon MMO Player...

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

xthnru posted:

This thread:

A delicious consommé? :confused:

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

tyblazitar posted:

"I am going to discuss this maturely, even though you are in fact a kindergarten baby who sticks his face in gravy"

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

tyblazitar posted:

Arus basically slobbered Anet's cock until HoT released though?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hey now I was very neat and tidy about it.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Eh, agree to disagree I guess. Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I played GW1 for three hours a night.
But.
I work a full time office job; sometimes I'm even on call. My wife has been on medical leave for two years and I'm her caregiver. Money is tight and I'd rather spend time with my wife than sit in front of a screen.
I try to play GW2 one hour a night. Sometimes I just skip it and read or watch TV or play with our cats.
I will never see ascended armor or weapons. I will never finish the Masteries. I will never have a Legendary anything. I will never "raid". I can't even afford to buy tons of gems and shortcut myself to cool.
It's still my favorite game. I still love it. HoT isn't what I wanted, but I appreciate what went in to it; I appreciate what they tried to do. I hope the living story brings more content for casuals like me who haven't given up on it.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

To me, Raiding is a lot like D&D.

I love me some D&D, just like I love me some good raiding. The problem with D&D though, is that, before you even start -- before even the day of the event, you have to commit to around five or six hours. Then, you have to plan and corral four to six more people into choosing one night (it's always a night) to devote entirely to The Cause. Then, miraculously, if everything goes well and everyone shows up and everyone is ready to go (>10% chance of happening, due to missing character sheets, lacking tools, forgetting campaign info, cooking food, socializing, asking rules questions, etc) you can have a night where you have a lot of fun with two or three combat encounters and some padding in between.

Both Raiding and D&D are some of the best times I've had playing games with other people.

I've only maybe done both of them a combined total of three or four dozen times in fifteen years.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Personally I only liked raids because it got people together to joke around on voice chat every week like a small party so thank god for guild missions.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

ceaselessfuture posted:

I love me some D&D, just like I love me some good raiding. The problem with D&D though, is that, before you even start -- before even the day of the event, you have to commit to around five or six hours. Then, you have to plan and corral four to six more people into choosing one night (it's always a night) to devote entirely to The Cause. Then, miraculously, if everything goes well and everyone shows up and everyone is ready to go (>10% chance of happening, due to missing character sheets, lacking tools, forgetting campaign info, cooking food, socializing, asking rules questions, etc) you can have a night where you have a lot of fun with two or three combat encounters and some padding in between.

Both Raiding and D&D are some of the best times I've had playing games with other people.

I've only maybe done both of them a combined total of three or four dozen times in fifteen years.

ceaselessfuture posted:

This is why I've never actually played D&D despite knowing a lot about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

It is probably some of the most fun you'll ever have gaming (if you play with friends IRL), and you'll plan months of content and end up doing three sessions, maybe.

• Locked thread