Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Both but with baby back ribs you might want to do 2-2-1 since they're smaller. I did that last weekend and they turned out baller, still trying to find time to make that effort post about it.

e: it probably depends on your temp as well but I went with 225 for all three phases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yodzilla posted:

Both but with baby back ribs you might want to do 2-2-1 since they're smaller. I did that last weekend and they turned out baller, still trying to find time to make that effort post about it.

e: it probably depends on your temp as well but I went with 225 for all three phases

What about if I want the meat to fall off the bone like with boiling or whatever?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

3-2-1 is for spare ribs.

For backs 2-2-1 is probably good. If you want them to fall apart try increasing the foil time to 2-2.5-.5 ish.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah it's the middle time that'll help with the bone falling offness. The first phase cooks and smokes, second wrapped in foil steams/boils, third crisps up the outside a bit after you brush on the sauce.

I went with apple cider vinegar both in the smoke pan and inside the foil.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The recipe I'm using calls for 4 racks of spareribs. I was gonna do a small brisket alongside the ribs, but it looks like I'll just be doing the ribs now. And jalapeno poppers.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
"Small brisket" is just never worth it

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I was hoping to attempt my first smoke this weekend, but I screwed up and forgot to order a dual probe thermometer. I'm using an MES that has a food probe, can I trust that? Should I just use my regular one I use for roasts and poo poo?

Or does anyone know where I can buy a non garbage one in stores? I'm in Massachusetts.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I use my regular oven probe thermometer.

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Vulture Culture posted:

"Small brisket" is just never worth it

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I was hoping to attempt my first smoke this weekend, but I screwed up and forgot to order a dual probe thermometer. I'm using an MES that has a food probe, can I trust that? Should I just use my regular one I use for roasts and poo poo?

Or does anyone know where I can buy a non garbage one in stores? I'm in Massachusetts.

I use the MES built in to get close and then final checks are done with a handheld. Nothing you are going to make really needs to be exact so its not a reason to NOT smoke this weekend. I assume your doing pork butt/shoulder for your first smoke. If so you can't really mess that up anyways. If anything take the built in to the higher end of your temp range and you should be good. Or go to the grocery/hardware store and get a handheld, even a cheapie, to get by until you can buy a good one.

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Prepping for 2 pork shoulder smoke tomorrow.

Clean, pat dry, mustard cover. Put a rub together from sea salt, sugar, brown sugar, chili powder, tiny bit of cayenne, and pepper. If you ask for measurements, my best guess is "the right amount".

Wrap with foil and store next to beer.

Started soaking a wood blend (33% pecan, 33% peach, 33% apple, 1% love).

I think I'll make BBQ sauce later, if I do I'll try to keep a better eye on measurements and post it here.

Will post updates throughout cook process tomorrow.

mr_cramalldees fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 25, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
No need to soak chunks and please put more rub on them butts. Rub the butts thoroughly.

And for whomever was asking about baby backs, don't bother foiling. 3h at 225-250 should be about right.

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

No need to soak chunks and please put more rub on them butts. Rub the butts thoroughly.

And for whomever was asking about baby backs, don't bother foiling. 3h at 225-250 should be about right.

Nah, it'll all be good. I massaged a poo poo ton of it in there, I don't do that sissy 'pat it on' poo poo.

mr_cramalldees fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 25, 2016

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

As promised, here is how I do BBQ sauce.

Cover the bottom of a sauce pan with canola oil and put the pan over medium-high heat. Chop up 1 yellow onion and throw it in the pan. Once you throw those guys in, stir occasionally until the onions start to turn yellow in the pan ( 5 minutes or so ). While the onion is going, I chop like 4 cloves of garlic. Once the onions are good I throw in the garlic.

Leave that stuff cooking and go grab 1 cup of regular heinz ketchup, 1 cup of sriracha ketchup (if you don't have this locally available it's literally 50% sriracha, 50% ketchup). Put the ketchup in the pot with a little more than a half cup of water. Bring all of that stuff to a boil, then reduce heat to low.

While that is simmering you're going to get your seasoning ready. I combined the following dry spices and dumped them in:

1/4 Cup Chili Powder
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Paprika
?? Sea Salt & Black Pepper

Then I added 2/3 Cup of dijon mustard, 2/3 Cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp of worchestershire, 2 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp of butter.

I stirred it all up until it started to resemble BBQ sauce.

Then I put it all into this fucker.

I set the speed to 3 (the fastest one) until my wife got annoyed, and that's when I knew it was ready.

Turkey baster into these $.50 bottles I got at Walmart. The above steps produce enough BBQ sauce to fill up 3 of them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So the ribs I'm doing aren't actually spareribs, they're St. Louis-cut ribs. Which I guess are technically still spareribs, but they're spareribs cut to resemble baby backs. How do I adapt the 3-2-1 method for St. Louis-cut ribs?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dude cook the ribs and just do your best, it's always a tasty fail if you mess up

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So the ribs I'm doing aren't actually spareribs, they're St. Louis-cut ribs. Which I guess are technically still spareribs, but they're spareribs cut to resemble baby backs. How do I adapt the 3-2-1 method for St. Louis-cut ribs?

Everybody BBQs spare ribs that way, don't worry about it. 321 will work fine.

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

Everybody BBQs spare ribs that way, don't worry about it. 321 will work fine.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Just threw my first pork butt on the grill. I saw online that you can smoke on a Weber kettle grill with a bit of effort, so I'm giving it a shot.

Here's the butt after putting on the rub:

And here it is on the grill:

Here's hoping I don't screw it up too badly.

edit: Fixing image links

BobbyDrake fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 25, 2016

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

BobbyDrake posted:

Just threw my first pork butt on the grill. I saw online that you can smoke on a Weber kettle grill with a bit of effort, so I'm giving it a shot.

It's hard to mess up. Mine have been on for 2 hours now at 240 degrees.

The main thing you need to do is work on maintaining consistent temperature and leave the rest of it alone. Pull it off when internal temp hits 190.

Let it rest for a half hour or so, then eat that bad boy.

I have faith in you, good luck!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BobbyDrake posted:

edit: Fixing image links

That's how I got started! Almost screwed myself out of a WSM because my wife liked the pork off the regular grill too much to think I needed more space. Eventually her dad bought us the WSM because "you are going to make me the best ribs ever and it has been decades since I've had good ribs." Now I can fit beans, brisket, a shoulder, and veggies all at once.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

One more question: How much liquid do I add when I wrap the ribs in foil? Enough to cover them, or just like a cup?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

One more question: How much liquid do I add when I wrap the ribs in foil? Enough to cover them, or just like a cup?
You want to braise them, not boil them. Don't drown the meat. Make sure your foil wrap is nice and tight and thick -- the end result should work more like a pressure cooker than a steamer.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
What the hell brisket have I got here? Point, flat, or whole? It's 8.27 lbs.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Vulture Culture posted:

You want to braise them, not boil them. Don't drown the meat. Make sure your foil wrap is nice and tight and thick -- the end result should work more like a pressure cooker than a steamer.

So enough to partially cover them?

(I don't know what braise means. :saddowns:)

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

So enough to partially cover them?

(I don't know what braise means. :saddowns:)

About a quarter of a cup. Do not cover the meat at all, let the liquid sit at the bottom of the foil to provide moisture.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hunh, so the MES only goes up to 275 degrees. That's... disappointing.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

coronaball posted:

What the hell brisket have I got here? Point, flat, or whole? It's 8.27 lbs.

Hard to tell from that angle, but it's probably the flat.

(diagram borrow from http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html)

Hunh, so the MES only goes up to 275 degrees. That's... disappointing.

The only time I wish mine got hotter was for crisping up chicken skin, instead I do it on the grill after the smoke. What do you need to go hotter for?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tivac posted:

The only time I wish mine got hotter was for crisping up chicken skin, instead I do it on the grill after the smoke. What do you need to go hotter for?

I don't have a grill. I'm allowed to have an electric smoker, but I don't think my building would allow a grill. I might be able to use a charcoal grill with an electric starter, but I'm too chickenshit to ask if that's allowed.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Did my first smoke on my MES. I was going to do pork butt but couldn't get to a butcher in time so I did some chicken thighs instead. Took like 3 hours at 225.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I don't have a grill. I'm allowed to have an electric smoker, but I don't think my building would allow a grill. I might be able to use a charcoal grill with an electric starter, but I'm too chickenshit to ask if that's allowed.

You can also crisp the skin in your oven if it's got a broil setting.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Well, first time smoking anything, and it went pretty well. I was having problems keeping a consistent temperature, it fluctuated from 200-260 all day. The end result was pretty drat good though, pulled it off of the grill after 13 and a half hours cause I had dinner guests. It was only at 179 F but the bone came out clean and it pulled pretty easily. It was moist and delicious too. Next time though, instead of just piling the charcoal on one side of the grill, I'll do the snake method, maybe it'll be more consistent. I have pictures, but they're on my phone and phone is all the way over there, so it'll wait until tomorrow. All in all though it was worth getting up at 5 AM I think.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I picked up one of those 24" (actually 22" internal size) Pit Boss Ceramic Kamado grills from Costco this week. I'm ready to smoke some brisket and ribs.

How much lump charcoal and oak chunks should I put in it? Enough lump to fill my chimney starter? More? How many chunks? Should I soak the chunks in water, like many suggest doing when you use chips?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dont bother soaking the wood chunks, it does nothing.

and put as much charcoal in as you want, definitely more than you would put in the starter. keep in mind a well filled acorn will regulate temperatures better than one with with little charcoal.

you won't need to use a starter for slow and low, try using a mapp torch or parafin blocks.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just bought 4 racks of St. Louis-cut ribs. Do those keep well? I'm trying to decide whether or not I need to take 2 of them back.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I just bought 4 racks of St. Louis-cut ribs. Do those keep well? I'm trying to decide whether or not I need to take 2 of them back.
If they're in cryovac, they should keep well refrigerated for at least a couple weeks, depending on the kill date and whether they were previously frozen at any point. (They seriously didn't have a sell date?)

They'll also freeze fine if you take care when defrosting them, so you should probably just do that.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 1, 2016

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Vulture Culture posted:

If they're in cryovac, they should keep well refrigerated for at least a couple weeks, depending on the kill date and whether they were previously frozen at any point. (They seriously didn't have a sell date?)

They'll also freeze fine if you take care when defrosting them, so you should probably just do that.

No, I meant do they keep well in the fridge after being cooked? 4 racks of St. Louis-cut ribs is a lot of meat, and I want to make sure I can eat them over several days.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

No, I meant do they keep well in the fridge after being cooked? 4 racks of St. Louis-cut ribs is a lot of meat, and I want to make sure I can eat them over several days.
They keep about the same as any other meat. Smoking without drying or curing won't significantly help preserve the meat, but you'll probably get five days or so out of them in the back of the fridge. But you should share that wealth with others: friends, neighbors, store owners that you like. I like to bring goodies to my favorite butchers; they help out a lot when I'm in a bind.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ribs freeze pretty well if you have a foodsaver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
turn them into soup which will freeze very well