Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

the trump tutelage posted:

Anyone here with experience winter driving up in Grande Prairie out to High Prairie and Slave Lake? How bad do the roads get?

We'll be moving to the area in the fall and need a replacement for a rusted out Cavalier. Preferably something with some towing capacity (uhaul moving trailer) and under $10,000. I looked at some Foresters and Outbacks but I don't want to deal with the head gasket issue before the move. There's also an '05 Highlander for sale near me with 178k.
They're fine as long as you aren't driving mid-blizzard and the crews haven't had a chance to get out yet but that's not unique to there.

Ice and cold is probably more of an issue than snow, so just have good winter grips and you'll be better prepared than 75% of retards with 4x4 diesels that think they can do anything on mud tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Thanks for the offer man man but I'm thinking I should buy one anyways since the Scirocco is probably going to need some repair panels next year and I suspect that the seat mounts are probably going to go on the kart sooner or later. I might actually get good at it be the end of this :v:

We pretty much want to put a quarter panel on a bitch at some point so come on by.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Anyone here with experience winter driving up in Grande Prairie out to High Prairie and Slave Lake? How bad do the roads get?

We'll be moving to the area in the fall and need a replacement for a rusted out Cavalier. Preferably something with some towing capacity (uhaul moving trailer) and under $10,000. I looked at some Foresters and Outbacks but I don't want to deal with the head gasket issue before the move. There's also an '05 Highlander for sale near me with 178k.

Not that area (in winter) but I have plenty of winter driving experience in prairie winters. I've felt the difference in road conditions between -20 and -35, if that's any qualification.

As slidebite said, good winter tires are key. Really, that's about the only "thing" that actually matters for winter driving - every other consideration is behavioural, stuff you DO rather than stuff you HAVE. Don't drive like an rear end, especially in winter, you'll be fine.

Driving has three main actions, everything else is just variations on this theme: GO; TURN; STOP
Four-wheel-drive or All-wheel-drive (these are NOT the same thing!) can help with GO, and sometimes with TURN, but has no effect on STOP. This distinction is lost on so many people, who stuff their big stupid 4x4s or :rice: psuedo-rallycars into the first snowbank they find in late October, every year. Winter tires help with all three, All-season tires are simply not nearly as good when the white stuff starts sticking around.

If you have your heart set on a medium-sized SUV, you could certainly do worse than a Highlander. Seat Safety Switch is our local Subaru-whisperer, he can tell you about those head gaskets and maybe about the towing thing (?). The upshot is, ANY vehicle in reasonably good mechanical condition* equipped with winter tires is going to do just fine in a Grande Prairie winter.

* i'm excluding your Cavalier from that category by default. It's a rusty Cavalier, it's pretty much the definition of "not great mechanically". Besides, you seem like you've decided to buy a new-to-you car and I'm not going to tell you not to! Car-shopping is fun!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Not married to any particular car, really. I was looking at SUVs because our second car is a Honda Fit that, while very capable in the winter 90% of the time, has bottomed out more than once on bad snow drifts on the rural roads I'm living on now. I'm used to FWD and mostly interested in more ground clearance (and more power).

I'm still debating whether or not to factor towing into the equation. It'd be nice to have the option but it's mostly motivated by wanting to save money/hassle renting a uhaul trailer to move our stuff out there from Ontario, versus paying extra for a van line and trying to coordinate furniture delivery remotely. Being able to tow a utility trailer for gardening and landscaping would also be nice.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just buy any Subaru.

The head gaskets thing on the post-98 cars is basically a non-issue, you just have to keep it topped up on coolant like once a year and oil every so often.

Once you get here I know a few guys you can talk to that are always clearing out commuter-car Subarus and do nice work.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I might also recommend investing in some driving lights for those nights when it's pitch black, there's nobody for 50 km either way, and Bambi decides it's a good idea to hang out on the verge

Source: my folks lived up in the Peace region in the 90s and drove a Topaz that lit up like the sun

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anybody here able to run a VIN number for me? I don't want to break the rules if it's not allowed but if someone can legitimately do it I'd appreciate it. Is not not a biggie I'll just buy a single-use.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just don't plan on getting anywhere or doing anything early in the morning when it snows. Coming in from the south there is only 2 roads, and both have a giant loving hill on them, and trucks get stuck in the slow lanes, then other trucks get stuck in the passing lane trying to pass the trucks stuck in the slow lane and it all goes to hell. Be prepared for logging trucks ripping around with no fenders chucking rocks, and gravel trucks doing 30 on the side of the highway with their chains on.

You'll definitely want AWD/4WD and winter tires.

You'll wake up to situations like this

and drive on roads like this, which don't really have a shoulder and have deep ditches, but the wind levels the snow off perfectly. As soon as you get a tire on it, it's eating you.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Not married to any particular car, really. I was looking at SUVs because our second car is a Honda Fit that, while very capable in the winter 90% of the time, has bottomed out more than once on bad snow drifts on the rural roads I'm living on now. I'm used to FWD and mostly interested in more ground clearance (and more power).

I'm still debating whether or not to factor towing into the equation. It'd be nice to have the option but it's mostly motivated by wanting to save money/hassle renting a uhaul trailer to move our stuff out there from Ontario, versus paying extra for a van line and trying to coordinate furniture delivery remotely. Being able to tow a utility trailer for gardening and landscaping would also be nice.
I went the other way with a UHaul trailer and I would certainly recommend it. I yanked the middle-sized one (1 axel, but long enough inside for my queen-size bed) from Regina to Kitchener in October with my Ranger and while the weight and drag of the trailer certainly caused increased fuel burn, it was also certainly cheaper than any other option. I'm just one (packrat) person by myself, though, so, literally, YMMV. I think the cost of the trailer rental was about $600, and the hassle was minimal. They're reasonably generous with the time limits - I had 6 days for a trip that took 4 - and despite the junior-high-school-dropout vibe I got from the staff at the place in Regina (not so much in Kitchener) I had no issues.

To further toot my own horn, I recommend doing what I did: buy a truck because Alberta. For $10K you have a very wide range of options, if your other car is a Honda Fit a compact pickup would complement it nicely. Lots of ground clearance, available 4WD (yes, get the 4x4 version of whatever brand you like), and a truck is just so drat useful. Especially for a cross-country move.

Where in Ontario are you?

\/\/\/ also good. Or an ambulance. An ambulance makes a fine moving vehicle.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 23, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Buy a bus. All your stuff will fit in a bus.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Where in Ontario are you?
Near Newmarket.

Looked into a few pickups but we'll need both cars for commuting once we get there and $100.00+/week in gas for one vehicle is pretty steep. Each of us will be averaging about 130km a day during the week.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Near Newmarket.

Looked into a few pickups but we'll need both cars for commuting once we get there and $100.00+/week in gas for one vehicle is pretty steep. Each of us will be averaging about 130km a day during the week.

You can get a mazda 2 out here for about $5k, and a decent ~08 4x4 f-150 for 5 grand. there will be mornings when that mazda 2 isn't going anywhere, though.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
If you're serious about towing, I'd recommend getting a commuter and a truck, too. I tried compromising and getting a nice mid-sized unibody SUV and it was a mistake. I'd say get an older Impreza/WRX for about $5k and a truck for $5k. If you're doing any kind of towing or landscaping semi-regularly just do it right and get the right tool for the job. I'm having to redo it soon and you might as well not have to.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I live in GP and drive out to high Prairie and slave/red earth sometimes. An awd grand Cherokee is a good choice. A ford ranger is a better choice.

Winter tires are the most important, awd secondly, and a big gently caress off light bar for night driving. I posted a thread with my light bar a couple years back and everyone started calling me human being, but it probably saved me from half a dozen moose strikes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Someone at work was saying that light bars have to be covered for driving around. C/D?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Someone at work was saying that light bars have to be covered for driving around. C/D?

You can only legally have 2 fog lights that can only be turned on with the low beams, and 2 driving lights that can be turned on with your high beams. All of them have to be below the centerline of your headlights. If you piss a cop off, a 100 LED light bar has 98 lights more that you can legally have, and the cool brotruck thing to do is to mount it on the roof.

Generally, nobody cares are long as you're not using it to be a dick. If you flash your 100 LED light bar at somebody and a cop sees, or he was the one you flashed it at, he can make your life a living hell. If you have a reasonable reason to have it, they're not going to hassle you about it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 25, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Following the letter of the law, yeah.

But you won't be hassled for it unless you get caught using them by a bored cop in the early morning on deserted back roads and he searches for *something* he can nail you for, for 45 mins to an hour.

Source: ticketed by said cop a couple years ago

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Will be in Lethbridge next thurs-sun.

Also willing to bring up small items/car parts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If anyone is interested (or cares), the Lethbridge Street weekend is coming up, July 8/9/10. I think it's the biggest gathering of hot rods and cool cars in general in Alberta. The entire downtown core is a beehive of activity for the weekend. There is a very well attended show and shine, cruise night, and all sorts of other informal stuff. If you have nothing else to do that weekend might be worth a quick trip because you will see some pretty cool cars. Everything from teenage owned clapped out absolutely horrid JDM poo poo to $6 figure exotics make an appearance and has attendees/participants from all over western Canada and up from the US.

Friday night cruise night and Sunday show-and-shine are probably the coolest things to see. Cruise night (and other informal cruises which happen all weekend) are inevitably fun because you always get some retarded chucklefucks try to show off and promptly get hauled down by the very heavy police presence.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey, you guys that buy cars all the time (Powershift I'm looking at you) how does it work with temporarily using a license plate from a vehicle you already own?

If I buy a car and need to drive it back and let's say it after registry agencies close, can I just take the plate off my existing car and throw it on my new purchase to drive it home as a temporary thing? I've read the Service Alberta website and getting a little confused, looks like you can off of a car you are selling or something like that for 14 days, but I am not selling the existing/already registered car, just want to borrow the plate for a few hours.

I'm assuming I can if I have proof of insurance and the registration of the car that matches with the plate, but I'm not sure.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Hey, you guys that buy cars all the time (Powershift I'm looking at you) how does it work with temporarily using a license plate from a vehicle you already own?

If I buy a car and need to drive it back and let's say it after registry agencies close, can I just take the plate off my existing car and throw it on my new purchase to drive it home as a temporary thing? I've read the Service Alberta website and getting a little confused, looks like you can off of a car you are selling or something like that for 14 days, but I am not selling the existing/already registered car, just want to borrow the plate for a few hours.

I'm assuming I can if I have proof of insurance and the registration of the car that matches with the plate, but I'm not sure.

From what the sheriff told me, you can use your old plate for 14 days as long as it's off the vehicle you're replacing(which he admitted they can't figure out anyways), and you still need an insurance card for the vehicle you're driving.

That time i thought i was gettin towed and walking home and getting insurance and rego stuff thrown at me, but ended up with a $130 ticket for not having the bill of sale with a new vehicle.

So insurance card + bill of sale + rego/plate off your current car and you should be good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I figured you'd know.

Signed back of registration good enough for a bill of sale right?

What's with this "replacing" thing. It seems overly contrived and not just "14 days using a plate currently registered you" would be much simpler.

e: I know carproof is pretty spotty, but $52? Holy poo poo. I thought it was something like $10 :eyepop:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 26, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A proper bill of sale would be better, you basically need something to prove you own the car, and didn't just find the rego in the glovebox and scribble on it.

When i got stopped, i had absolutely nothing with me to prove i owned the truck. I just had the rego, ins and plate off my other truck. Was lucky as hell. A clean record and active rego and insurance on other vehicles helped too.

If the car has always been an alberta car, a vehicle history check at the DMV is only like $20. Like i said, with all the carproofs and carfaxes on vehicles i've had, i don't think they've ever been accurate enough to trust. $20k is a little more to drop on something who's resale might be hurt by a bad report, but at that point you're going to have to get a carfax and carproof to get all your ducks in a row. It would really suck to buy it with a clean carproof, babby it for 10 years expecting to sell it for what you paid only for the buyer to pull a carfax and for it to come back with some hosed up claim or mileage inconsistencies.

The mack's carfax was FUUUUUUUUCKED, and i didn't even know until the auction house selling it ran the carfax on it.

e: i think it's nice to know a vehicle's history and all that, but carfax/proof's laissez faire attitude towards something that could cost you $10k is hosed.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 26, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

slidebite posted:

If anyone is interested (or cares), the Lethbridge Street weekend is coming up, July 8/9/10. I think it's the biggest gathering of hot rods and cool cars in general in Alberta. The entire downtown core is a beehive of activity for the weekend. There is a very well attended show and shine, cruise night, and all sorts of other informal stuff. If you have nothing else to do that weekend might be worth a quick trip because you will see some pretty cool cars. Everything from teenage owned clapped out absolutely horrid JDM poo poo to $6 figure exotics make an appearance and has attendees/participants from all over western Canada and up from the US.

Friday night cruise night and Sunday show-and-shine are probably the coolest things to see. Cruise night (and other informal cruises which happen all weekend) are inevitably fun because you always get some retarded chucklefucks try to show off and promptly get hauled down by the very heavy police presence.

At the current rate that DrakeriderCa's and my rally car is progressing despite it's setbacks, we should actually be able to drive Karakuchi down for that. It'll be a long day but we could do it. I for sure am going to try. My fiances birthday is on the 7th so I'll have to see if there are any plans however. There's always something isn't there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you guys do, I could probably talk Mrs. Slidebite into you having you guys stay at Casa Slidebite if you're OK crashing in the same room. She has met Drake a couple times before and would probably trust he's not going to murder us in our sleep. It would be easy for me to say that you guys are "together" since she's modern and open minded.

It's about a 5.5 hour drive from the Edmonton area, depending on ring road traffic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's an RX7, not a Miata.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The car is completely irrelevant :colbert:

Also, registration chat, I know a Sheriff and supposedly the car needs to be either sold or destroyed. I know they probably couldn't immediately check on that at roadside, but I'd probably just try and register it same day as I got it to be safe. Yay for going to a registry agent at the end of the month :suicide:

And yes, that means there will almost certainly be a new car to talk about here next week.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
:toot: gently caress yeah

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Some beetle or something followed me home today

The interior is shocking for a 17 year old car. It only has the slightest wear on some surfaces and is truly in better shape, certainly cleaner than most 1 year old cars. No joke. Insanely tight and rattle free.

Paints is certainly not perfect, but looks like a great 10 footer. Get closer, you see honest 17 year old original paint with some clear scratches/swirls and a small crack at the bottom of the front air dam... that to be honest I might have caused because I don't remember seeing it when I looked at it and when I had to tear out of the registry office for traffic I made ground contact :(
That's the kind of thing that can probably be fixed by a small repair place though right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drat, that's gorgeous.

What kind of paint issues does it have? I was able to sand out some paint runs and polish part of my car to a mirror, i would imagine somebody who knows what they're doing could probably do much better with factory paint. This is a ~30 year old amateur paint job.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

drat Slidebite, that's awesome. Congrats!

You'd better bring that thing next time we do an ABAI meetup.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A few chips which will be trickier but just honest very light not gouges swirls and the like. You should come here and do that for me.

Seriously though how should I be checking? Detailer? Body shops?

Slung Blade posted:

drat Slidebite, that's awesome. Congrats!

You'd better bring that thing next time we do an ABAI meetup.
Thanks but you guys need to come south!
Biggest issue I need to deal with is track down some used and reasonably priced 996 headlights. The discoloration from the original owners lovely bulb annoys me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wouldn't touch it, i'm an ape and it's really easy to burn factory paint. Ignore kijiji, find a detailer in the yellow pages, make sure they've got insurance.

do an in person consultation too, if it's out of some guy's garage and he can't measure paint thickness, run.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 28, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Caveat to that, if he's using a random orbital polisher then those are almost idiot proof, but it'll take longer and they're not as good for getting the worst damage out.

If he comes out swinging a rotary polisher, he better know what he's doing lest he'll destroy your paint in short order.

A proper detail from a professional is going to be in the $500+ range, so brace yourself, the cheap guys might do a good job, but I don't know if I'd trust them with something that nice

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I did $650 the last time I was detailed but she is no longer doing indie work and is working at the Bentley dealership now.

Call Carzilla in Calgary and ask who he recommends.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So what's that kind of sanding called? I'm presuming some sort of wet sanding?

IE: What am I asking for?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Paint correction, polishing and sealing.

E: I have heard mobile reflections is good, but the guy who runs Carzilla would know for sure.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 28, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There is a micro dent/repair place here that I am going to take it to check out the crack in the spoiler. I've had really good luck with them. If they don't do it themselves, they might have some recommendations. A co-worker is a bit of a car guy and might know too.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is awesome. I'm glad somebody here has taken up the flat six torch, even if it is just slightly more upscale than the SVX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Absolutely not going to lie, I would LOOVE a minty SVX.

So I went to my local micro dent repair guy who has always given me fabulous service to look at the small crack in the front lip. He said they could do it for around $300-ish so I said sure. I then asked if he had a recommendation for a power polish/seal to clean up the swirls and scratches and he looked at me and smiled and said "me" as nobody else in the city would touch black. He then showed me a black Firehawk that they just polished up and it looked almost brand new, and it was supposedly worse than my Porsche when they got it. He figured worst case, $500, probably less if it's less than 2 days to do the polish so I have it booked for 2 weeks from now. Bumper fix and polish for <$800? Yeah, I'm OK with that.