Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Assless Chaps posted:

Thanks! Just got back from a 15-hour day and am totally pooped. It was a lot of fun, though! I think I did pretty well on the written test, decently well on the mock game, and really well on the interview. I had Glenn and Corinna, too, no Maggie. There were some real ... interesting ... folks there. And some super nice people who were awesome to chat with. Overall, it was a great experience and I'd do it again.

Now I wait 18 months!

Retro good luck! Look forward to hopefully joining the brotherhood of Jeopardy contestants soon.

Don't worry if you don't hear from them right away. I thought I was going to get "the call" right around July/August when they started taping the new season of shows 3 years ago, but it didn't come for me until right before Valentine's Day 2014 when I finally heard from Maggie.

I pretty much figured that they weren't gonna call me once the new year rolled around and I thought about taking the test again that year, but decided against it and kept waiting. Again, good luck, and never give up hope, the call does come.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Alex was so excited about that Final Jeopardy and then it turned out to be extremely easy.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
The lady professor was doing pretty well until she thought David Bowie was a hermaphrodite.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I guess I can see how you might jump from "Greek" to there but that's a really bad answer. There should be a check in your head where you stop and ask yourself "Does Jeopardy really want me to say that?", like with "sperm bank" a few days ago.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

That's one where she almost certainly would have gotten if she'd thought for three more seconds.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I completely blanked on Marx. I have never felt dumber when the question was revealed.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Missed today's episode going out for dinner, so I guess I missed a good one... Hunter still killing it, I assume?

But I did see the Final Jeopardy clue in today's New York Times, and I got Marx right away after thinking for a couple of seconds, so there's that.

Looking it up on j-archive now, seems like it was a good one. David Bowie category seems like a nice tribute too. And that Fashion clue concerning him made me think of hermaphrodite as the question as well, but probably because it was already on my mind from reading the posts above...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 15, 2016

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

GhostStalker posted:

Missed today's episode going out for dinner, so I guess I missed a good one... Hunter still killing it, I assume?

He can afford to give up the hunting now and concentrate on the appling. Or vice versa if he wants.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Unkempt posted:

He can afford to give up the hunting now and concentrate on the appling. Or vice versa if he wants.

Wonder how he (or Buzzy for that matter) will fare against the likes of Andrew Pau and Phillip Tiu and other ToC hopefuls when the next Tournament rolls around? The contestant pool for it was looking a bit low up until a couple months ago, but I hope a couple of people who I really liked watching but only won like 3 games get to make it in.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I completely blanked on Marx. I have never felt dumber when the question was revealed.
I guessed Engels because I figured there was no way it would be that obvious. :saddowns:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I guessed Engels because I figured there was no way it would be that obvious. :saddowns:
It was weird how Alex hyped it up as a great question. I did try to think if somebody else at the time might've styled themselves as a champion of the workingman like I dunno, Garibaldi?

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 15, 2016

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Yet another cupcake final. You're getting soft, writers!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

I blame my lovely night's sleep and the repeated 7s in the clue for making me think Rashomon or some other Kurosawa movie and not moving from that. Whoops.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 16, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

zakharov posted:

At least Alex admitted it.

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry
My recording got cut off halfway through yesterday because President Obama made a speech. Did Hunter win again? I think he was in third place after the first round.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Nope. He got final wrong and Liz (?) won.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Thankfully, Smacky didn't win.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I guess I can see how you might jump from "Greek" to there but that's a really bad answer. There should be a check in your head where you stop and ask yourself "Does Jeopardy really want me to say that?", like with "sperm bank" a few days ago.

it's still dumb that they didn't give ken jennings "ho/hoe" since it was a much better answer.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Mister Kingdom posted:

Thankfully, Smacky didn't win.

How many different noises did that guy make during the show?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Not the easiest Final in the world but I'm surprised they all missed it.

No, "The Satanic Verses" was not written in 1922.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
How did the one guy go with James Joyce, but not Ulysses? Come one, dude, you're right there!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Problematic Pigeon posted:

How did the one guy go with James Joyce, but not Ulysses? Come one, dude, you're right there!

I only hit on Ulysses about a second after the music stopped. But yeah, getting so close yet so far to the correct answer had to be pretty galling, especially since he bet so big and wound up in second because of it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

zakharov posted:

Not the easiest Final in the world but I'm surprised they all missed it.

No, "The Satanic Verses" was not written in 1922.

that made me cringe

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Wow that centuries category was brutal.

Also does anyone else feel like Trebek is off his game this week? He keeps missing the first commercial break cue and seems especially awkward in the interviews.

Edit: holy crap how could you bet that much money on "Beatles songs" and not know that one

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 22, 2016

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Edit: holy crap how could you bet that much money on "Beatles songs" and not know that one

Only reason I knew it was because Dateline ran an episode on Charles Manson last week that I happened to have on in the background. But yeah, that was a relatively cake Final.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Jan Plumb :mmmhmm:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

That "literary nicknames" category was pretty loving hard for the first round.

edit: Gwyneth Paltrow, really?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

edit: Gwyneth Paltrow, really?

Shame too, since I'm getting kinda tired of seeing Laurie's mug there at the champion's podium. Took me a while to name Helen Mirren, but Paltrow was indeed a terrible guess...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the gently caress? yellow submarine??

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

the gently caress? yellow submarine??

You behind or something? That episode aired 2 days ago...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i dvr them so i never have to see the trash that should be cut out like interviews.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dvr them so i never have to see the trash that should be cut out like interviews.

I admit that the interviews aren't always good watching, but sometimes they're amusing. Sometimes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Same.

Except sometimes when you get to the end and Alex and the audience are laughing my husband rewinds it because "oh it might be something funny" and it never is and he never learns.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GhostStalker posted:

Shame too, since I'm getting kinda tired of seeing Laurie's mug there at the champion's podium. Took me a while to name Helen Mirren, but Paltrow was indeed a terrible guess...

Same. She's kinda creepy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I know this isn't the Wheel Of Fortune thread, but there's some kind of savant just completely dominating everything right now. I mean literally everything.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Sir Lemming posted:

I know this isn't the Wheel Of Fortune thread, but there's some kind of savant just completely dominating everything right now. I mean literally everything.

Sometimes I wish there was a Wheel thread but not often enough to actually make one.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's very rarely as interesting as Jeopardy.

Anyway the guy didn't do nearly as well in the second segment because someone else got the first spin. But wow, what a first segment.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

it's actually a rerun

I googled "autistic guy wheel of fortune" and found out he's a redditor who posted all of his sick pro-tier hangman strats

http://buyavowel.boards.net/thread/8330/march-2016-recap-discussion-robert?page=2&scrollTo=77514

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm not much of a wheel watcher but I happened to catch it. Of course the show has a much stronger luck component than Jeopardy, but holy cow that guy was at least the equivalent of Matt Jackson tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm just glad today was the last time I have to be distracted by Laurie's gullet wobble.