Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pesticide20 posted:

Isn't that top speed?

Pretty much despite the laughable 100mph speedo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A friend of mine got one last year:

Still some work left to be done (it's an original '60something German one), but so far so good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Edmond Dantes posted:

A friend of mine got one last year:

Still some work left to be done (it's an original '60something German one), but so far so good.

Does your friend have the last name of Diaz? Because if so, I may know his brother.
That's a radical bug in my favorite color scheme.

Once my dad told me a story about when he was in college, one if his roommates drove out for a month with his girlfriend in her car. He refused to pay rent and didn't really warn anyone of the trip.

He and the remaining tenants cleaned out his room, broke down his VW Bug and rebuilt it in his room.

Surprisingly the guy has a good laugh and slept in it for two weeks.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Inzombiac posted:

Does your friend have the last name of Diaz? Because if so, I may know his brother.
That's a radical bug in my favorite color scheme.

Once my dad told me a story about when he was in college, one if his roommates drove out for a month with his girlfriend in her car. He refused to pay rent and didn't really warn anyone of the trip.

He and the remaining tenants cleaned out his room, broke down his VW Bug and rebuilt it in his room.

Surprisingly the guy has a good laugh and slept in it for two weeks.

Ah, no, not the same guy then. It's really pretty, but he's had to put a lot of work into it; we tried to warn him it was going to be more of a project than an ready-to-go car but he wanted to get it anyway. Nothing really major, luckily, so he gets to use it regularly.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
My understanding about rebuilding Bugs is that bar some strange features on certain model years they are generally pretty easy to refab because what makes them cheap to rebuild (simple, replacable parts that were made in massive bulk) are what made them affordable and common in the first place.

Pook Good Mook has a new favorite as of 04:37 on Jun 7, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VW Bugs are the AK-47 of cars.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Confirmed:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Bugs are goddamn ugly and I hate them. Especially the new ones.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Bernard Hopkins is a badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52tuw5vM6ug

Couldn't find it, but I also recall a great interview back in the day with Jim Rome where he told stories about making prison wine and using a lightbulb as a microwave.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The Sausages posted:

That's a nice sounding gun! Here's a nice sounding plane - the Gloster Meteor's 20mm cannon cartridge ejection ports give the pioneering jet fighter an unmistakable tone that's been dubbed "The Blue Note":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acn0Ksn66E&t=32s

That Hunter :gizz:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought that was Toyota pickups

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dog Case posted:

A case can be made for them both. I'd prefer the old Toyota pick up myself. They're like that axe that's been in my family since the 1800's. Only had to change the head twice and the handle 4 times!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dog Case posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPnIpjodA8

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Missed the final part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnVZXQD5_k

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
While not directly badass I want to put it here to remember Old and New Chekov.

I mean. From everything I've ever heard Koenig kinda hated being typecast because of Trek but he was cool enough to be around with Yelchin.
What a horrible way to go for Yelchin, seriously.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Not to speak ill of the dead but does anyone have a coherent picture of how Yelchin died?

That press release was hard to parse.

Vehicular exhaustion?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Not to speak ill of the dead but does anyone have a coherent picture of how Yelchin died?
Apparently he stepped out of his car while it was on a steep drive, in neutral and engine still running. The car started rolling while he was behind it and pinned the guy to a fence.

Raygereio has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Jun 20, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Being kind is badass :shobon:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They're ducks. They're literally waterproof already.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You didn't see the steak knife shower that day. :colbert:

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

Being kind is badass :shobon:

To think... the Jeep took out the dude and not the ducks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Raygereio posted:

Apparently he stepped out of his car while it was on a steep drive, in neutral and engine still running. The car started rolling while he was behind it and pinned the guy to a fence.

His brick mailbox, actually.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

His brick mailbox, actually.

That's terrible, his agent should have just said as much though.

Sounded like he'd done something awful.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Raygereio posted:

From what I've gathered, that model of car had a recall because it was prone to slipping into neutral when you didn't want it to.
He probably didn't do anything wrong if the car had been in top condition.

He was a cool actor and liked his movies a lot.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Inzombiac posted:

From what I've gathered, that model of car had a recall because it was prone to slipping into neutral when you didn't want it to.
He probably didn't do anything wrong if the car had been in top condition.

He was a cool actor and liked his movies a lot.

I looked up the tutorial on how to use the Grand Cherokee shifting system. It's criminal. There's a reason it was recalled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWVYrpd-3g

When you watch the video it seems like a tutorial for launching the space shuttle. Nothing intuitive and it requires that you look at the dashboard to tell the gear. Not the detents like everyone is used to. Horrifically dangerous design. If it ain't broke, gently caress it up. That appears to be every auto manufacturers' motto these days. I could totally see myself leaving it in neutral. There's no positive click that tells you you're in park.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

mostlygray posted:

I looked up the tutorial on how to use the Grand Cherokee shifting system. It's criminal. There's a reason it was recalled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWVYrpd-3g

When you watch the video it seems like a tutorial for launching the space shuttle. Nothing intuitive and it requires that you look at the dashboard to tell the gear. Not the detents like everyone is used to. Horrifically dangerous design. If it ain't broke, gently caress it up. That appears to be every auto manufacturers' motto these days. I could totally see myself leaving it in neutral. There's no positive click that tells you you're in park.

Jesus Christ why? Is this really more reliable or cheaper than a mechanical shifter?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So if you're not pushing the button on the shifter, plus holding the brake, it will go into neutral but not park?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

jamal posted:

So if you're not pushing the button on the shifter, plus holding the brake, it will go into neutral but not park?

This is also required for most automatic shifters (well, the brake might not be if you don't mind the awful sound of shifting a moving car into park). That design is dumb and I'm glad its being replaced, but I'm going to wait until they've made a more comprehensive statement before I blame the shifter my very mechanically illiterate mother regularly uses to successfully park on an incline.

Its a dumb shifter, but it really isn't that hard to use.

Kaskadan
Mar 28, 2010

I've got some bad NOMS for you

DandyLion posted:

More likely it had time to think "Oh no not again".

There is not enough love for this.
I wonder if there was a bowl of petunias nearby

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kaskadan posted:

There is not enough love for this.
I wonder if there was a bowl of petunias nearby

Let me get a pen and that napkin. We can do the math on this.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Why bother? You already know what the answer will be.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dick Trauma posted:

I find the individual and coordinated physical ability here mind-boggling. :psyduck:

It really is, it's basically very well coordinated and timed gymnastics with cool-looking finishing moves and weird-rear end personalities. Once you realize the amount of skill, timing, coordination, and overall level of trust needed to pull off a lot of these stunts/moves, it gives a whole new perspective and respect for what those guys do. One wrong move and you're somewhere between "slight injury" and "instant death", especially when guys are falling/jumping off ladders and cages that are at minimum 10-15' off the ground.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It really is, it's basically very well coordinated and timed gymnastics with cool-looking finishing moves and weird-rear end personalities. Once you realize the amount of skill, timing, coordination, and overall level of trust needed to pull off a lot of these stunts/moves, it gives a whole new perspective and respect for what those guys do. One wrong move and you're somewhere between "slight injury" and "instant death", especially when guys are falling/jumping off ladders and cages that are at minimum 10-15' off the ground.

A lot of wrestlers seriously deserve way more loving credit than they get as entertainers. They're essentially professional stuntmen who need to improvise their entire shows from the beginning, right down to hoping they spit out good dialogue, without openly letting the audience see them communicating with the other wrestler because they still need to maintain the illusion of legitimacy as part of the show. I say "a lot of" because there's still been plenty of wrestlers who are really lovely at their jobs.

I never really had any interest in wrestling until I watched Mankind vs. The Undertaker, the infamous Hell in a Cell match, because I was told that it was one of the best matches ever and learned about the insane stunts Mick Foley did. Nothing gets you into wrestling quite like seeing a man willingly letting himself be thrown several stories to land on a table with absolutely no padding, then get back up and fall almost the same distance and knock himself unconscious immediately after, and fling himself onto thumbtacks all in the name of entertainment. And every single injury is real, not clever tricks to make it look like he's being brutalized but he's really landing on giant airbags hidden from view. It's the same level of crazy as asking a stunt driver for a movie to flip an unmodified commercial car with no harness and just hope his seatbelt is enough to avoid outright killing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Eg4kPcX4U

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chitoryu12 posted:

Mankind vs. The Undertaker, the infamous Hell in a Cell match

What's even crazier about the match is that it went horribly wrong right from the start but they both kept going even though they were both injured.
Foley dislocated his shoulder and was knocked unconscious from the first fall. When all those guys run out with the stretcher to haul Foley away and then try to stop him going back to the match they weren't acting - they were backroom guys who weren't even supposed to appear on camera that night. Vince McMahon also dropped his stage persona and was obviously really loving worried. Foley was knocked unconscious again when the top of the cage unexpectedly gave way and he fell through to the ring below and the steel chair landed on his head. He also bruised his ribs, was bleeding internally, dislocated his jaw and had several teeth knocked out during the match. The Undertaker also hosed up his ankle jumping down from the top of the cage into the ring.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Another example of a brilliantly stupid stunt: Vince McMahon's own son diving from the top of the Titantron with nothing but a person's body on a breakaway box to cushion the blow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyTBHQPSG5k

One of those cases where he's lucky he didn't kill him OR his opponent.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
This one is kind of terrible, but this dude looks motherfucking badass to me:

Supposedly it's a still from an unidentified film, and the Library of Congress is looking for help identifying a bunch of poo poo. Reddit link, sorry in advance: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/4poif4/library_of_congress_needs_help_identifying_these/

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

dumb. posted:

This one is kind of terrible, but this dude looks motherfucking badass to me:

Supposedly it's a still from an unidentified film, and the Library of Congress is looking for help identifying a bunch of poo poo. Reddit link, sorry in advance: https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/4poif4/library_of_congress_needs_help_identifying_these/

I prefer this guy.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Why's the bottom half of that photo all painty?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Why's the bottom half of that photo all painty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaskadan
Mar 28, 2010

I've got some bad NOMS for you

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What's even crazier about the match is that it went horribly wrong right from the start but they both kept going even though they were both injured.

Taker didn't mess up his ankle jumping from the cage, his foot was broken before he even started, Foley was concerned he wouldn't be able to even climb up in the first place.

Neither of them told anyone else that they planned on climbing the cage, the roof panels are only held on with zip ties, you can see them break and fly off during the match.
Taker was reluctant to do it at all and spent the entire match after the first fall trying to find a kayfabe way of ending it so that Mick didn't do any more damage to himself, but either due to concussion or showmanship, Mick ran through the rest of the match. You can see how careful Taker is especially after the second fall through the cage.