Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The F4 issue with Mahfood art is really good (and totally non-canon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

X-O posted:

Uh, Miles isn't in any of those.

Are you talking about the link I posted? Because it goes right to the "Miles Morales Section"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Retro Futurist posted:

Are you talking about the link I posted? Because it goes right to the "Miles Morales Section"

No, for some reason I thought you were talking about the books I mentioned in my quote and was wondering where Miles was in any of those since they were years before he was even thought about. That's my bad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay, just to be clear the "recommended" US-M reading order from beginning to SW is:

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-45
Ultimate Spider-Man 0.5
Ultimate Spider-Man 46-53
Ultimate Six
Ultimate Spider-Man 54-85
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 1
Ultimate Spider-Man 86-105
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 2
Ultimate Spider-Man 106-120
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 3
Ultimate Spider-Man 121-133
Ultimatum: Spider-Man Requiem
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man 1-15
Ultimate Spider-Man 150-160
Ultimate Fallout
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 1-12
Spider-Men 1-5
The Ultimates #13 – #14
Ultimate Spider-Man #13 – #14
The Ultimates #15
Ultimate Spider-Man #15 – #16
Ultimates #16
Ultimate Spider-Man #17
The Ultimates #17 – #18
Ultimate Spider-Man #18
The Ultimates #18.1
Ultimate Spider-Man 16.1, 19-28
Cataclysm
Miles Morales The Ultimate Spider-Man 1-5
Ultimate Spider-Man 200
All-New X-Men: Ultimate Adventure 31-36
Miles Morales The Ultimate Spider-Man 6-12
All-New Ultimates 1-12

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All New Ultimates #1-12 and Miles Morales #1-12 run concurrently and never really cross over. But just know that all of Ultimates happens somewhere during those 12 issues. Miles Morales #12 is the last issue chronologically as it ends at the 1610/616 Incursion.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
uhhhh I'm fairly new into (western) comics. Kinda throwing myself into this poo poo. I enjoyed Planetary, The Authority, Saga, Runaways...not so much Y the Last Man, I have enough time trying to avoid lovely harem comics in manga thank you. Preacher was fun but generally edgy tryhard poo poo like Mark Millar and Garth Ennis turns me the hell off. Wolf is promising. I really liked Zero. Even read Irredeemable (yeah I've read Kingdom Come) and while it was kinda ridiculous I still had fun. Enjoying Southern Bastards.
So I guess you could say I skew more towards trippy Warren Ellis stuff, really like what I've read of Ales Kot, although I have found The Invisibles pretty difficult (yeah I know that's Grant Morrison, but it just felt like Planetary with 1000x more gibberish and trippy rear end scenes), maybe more Image Comics type stuff, I like strong creator controlled series and I'm not so much into superhero stuff or the Big Two unless it's some sort of interesting superhero subversion/elseworld type thing... I've read Watchmen and Red Son.
I am reading Vision and enjoying it though, kind of the only "major superhero name comic" series I've found that I like. I Vote Loki made me gag, but Prez is okay in a generic idiocracy way. Stuff like Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl are fine though the quirkiness ultimately kind of grinds on me because it feels so generic and because I am a soulless humorless person. Don't get me wrong, they're entertaining colorful fun, but not really series I'm like...compelled to read. No Deadpools of any kind please.
Oh and Transmetropolitan is my favorite comic.

I guess I should try out The Fix and The Fade Out? Any other thoughts? It'd help if comic minds could come up with older completed series too. Like, is Scalped good? I've got those and Manhattan Projects on my list. Like I guess you'd call the Japanese equivalent of what I'm looking for "Seinen", I want the Naoki Urasawas of western comics.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 20, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

TheFallenEvincar posted:

uhhhh I'm fairly new into (western) comics. Kinda throwing myself into this poo poo. I enjoyed Planetary, The Authority, Saga, Runaways...not so much Y the Last Man, I have enough time trying to avoid lovely harem comics in manga thank you. Preacher was fun but generally edgy tryhard poo poo like Mark Millar and Garth Ennis turns me the hell off. Wolf is promising. I really liked Zero. Even read Irredeemable (yeah I've read Kingdom Come) and while it was kinda ridiculous I still had fun. Enjoying Southern Bastards.
So I guess you could say I skew more towards trippy Warren Ellis stuff, really like what I've read of Ales Kot, although I have found The Invisibles pretty difficult (yeah I know that's Grant Morrison, but it just felt like Planetary with 1000x more gibberish and trippy rear end scenes), maybe more Image Comics type stuff, I like strong creator controlled series and I'm not so much into superhero stuff or the Big Two unless it's some sort of interesting superhero subversion/elseworld type thing... I've read Watchmen and Red Son.
I am reading Vision and enjoying it though, kind of the only "major superhero name comic" series I've found that I like. I Vote Loki made me gag, but Prez is okay in a generic idiocracy way. Stuff like Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl are fine though the quirkiness ultimately kind of grinds on me because it feels so generic and because I am a soulless humorless person. Don't get me wrong, they're entertaining colorful fun, but not really series I'm like...compelled to read. No Deadpools of any kind please.

I guess I should try out The Fix and The Fade Out? Any other thoughts? It'd help if comic minds could come up with older completed series too. Like, is Scalped good? I've got those and Manhattan Projects on my list. Like I guess you'd call the Japanese equivalent of what I'm looking for "Seinen", I want the Naoki Urasawas of western comics.

Lazarus is a creator-owned non-superhero book by Greg Rucka which just came off a 6-month hiatus and is coming out again. It's 22 issues deep right now. It's basically near-future low-cyberpunk with families controlling the world in a sort of feudal system. It's very good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like roughly the same types of books. You don't list any Matt Fraction on there. I'd suggest:
Casanova
ODY-C
Sex Criminals (though I like it less than most other people)

I don't like Kelly Sue DeConnick's work as much, but am way into Bitch Planet.

You're 50/50 on BKV, about where I am. I enjoyed his digital comic The Private Eye and the first issue of Barrier. They're found here and are pay-what-you-wish (and The Private eye had a hardcover release through Image):
http://panelsyndicate.com/

I also like his Paper Girls, though I have friends who don't dig it as much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Either I don't understand what a Harem comic is, or you didn't read much Y: The Last Man, the majority of the characters are women, and the story revolves around a man, but very few of them are trying to sleep with Yorrik.

I think you'd probably dig Garth Ennis's Hellblazer, it feels less (for lack of a better word) try - hard than Preacher, I'm also gonna second all the Matt Fraction poo poo posted above.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah that may be a mischaracterization then, my bad, I remember dipping into it a while back before I really bothered reading any comics and I just didn't really like it (which is a shame since Saga/Runaways are good and I even got a kick out of that silly Canada Under Attack!!! series he did)
And yeah I'm already reading Sex Criminals, which I'm not super high about but it's pretty entertaining. Forgot to mention it. Starting Bitch Planet too.
Thanks for the tips y'all. Gonna try out Lazarus, some more of the Fraction/BKV stuff as well as Ennis Hellblazer (I think I was just super super turned off by The Boys)

Also I just noticed the Indie Comic Discussion thread which should give me a plethora of potential series to take shots at.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah that may be a mischaracterization then, my bad, I remember dipping into it a while back before I really bothered reading any comics and I just didn't really like it (which is a shame since Saga/Runaways are good and I even got a kick out of that silly Canada Under Attack!!! series he did)
And yeah I'm already reading Sex Criminals, which I'm not super high about but it's pretty entertaining. Forgot to mention it. Starting Bitch Planet too.
Thanks for the tips y'all. Gonna try out Lazarus, some more of the Fraction/BKV stuff as well as Ennis Hellblazer (I think I was just super super turned off by The Boys)

Also I just noticed the Indie Comic Discussion thread which should give me a plethora of potential series to take shots at.

Hellblazer has some gore and whatever but it's way less shock value and the stories are much better than something like The Boys.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Other Ellis books I liked include Fell and Global Frequency. The latter was almost a TV show, which will make all the sense in the world. The pilot was produced, and it's out there somewhere, but I've never seen it.

Sex Criminals is one of my favorite books, and Fraction's Hawkeye (with art by David Aja) is also excellent, even if you're not into Big Two superheroes.

Almost everything Brubaker touches is gold, especially his collaborations with Sean Phillips. Sleeper is my absolute favorite of theirs (make sure you also read the prequel miniseries Point Blank, drawn by someone who is not Sean Phillips), and their later collaborations Criminal, Incognito, Fatale, and The Fade Out.

As for Vaughan, if you liked Saga and Runaways but not Y The Last Man (which I implore you to give another chance), check out his other major series, Ex Machina, which also had gorgeous art by Tony Harris.

Other random recommendations: Mind MGMT by Matt Kindt, and even though it's funny and wacky, try Chew by John Layman and Rob Guillory. It's another one of my favorite current series.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah, Y is one of the best series. I loved it and will read it through many more times.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Opinions on Marvel Adventures Spider-Man?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scent of Worf posted:

It's great. All the Marvel Age/Adventures books were good if you like light and fun comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Scent of Worf posted:

It gets great when they stop retelling old stories and starts telling it's own stories. Half this forum had Hard-Hat Spider-Man as their avatar for a minute.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Scent of Worf posted:

Dee-damned-lightful.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What comic had "But I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs" and is the rest of the comic as good as that, the single best panel to ever exist in the comics medium.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

What comic had "But I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs" and is the rest of the comic as good as that, the single best panel to ever exist in the comics medium.

Spider-Man and The X-Men. And yes the comic is fantastic. It's a mini series. Wolverine dies and leaves a note asking Storm to let Spider-Man teach a class at the school. Adventures and hijinks ensue.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I'll give Y another shot then, after all I am enjoying everything else BKV has done and I wasn't really into comics back then so maybe I'll really like it. Not sure what turned me off before, maybe I just made assumptions based on the premise.
Thanks for all the tips, Big Bad Voodoo Lou, looks like I got a lot of reading to do. And I just got into The Wicked + The Divine which is great too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pride of Baghdad is a loving amazing miniseries that got me choked up.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Very happy to hear that. Thanks everyone

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah I'll give Y another shot then, after all I am enjoying everything else BKV has done and I wasn't really into comics back then so maybe I'll really like it. Not sure what turned me off before, maybe I just made assumptions based on the premise.
Thanks for all the tips, Big Bad Voodoo Lou, looks like I got a lot of reading to do. And I just got into The Wicked + The Divine which is great too.

Astonished that not a single recommendation for Stray Bullets has been made, which should be right in your wheelhouse.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Should I just stick with Brian K Vaughn's Runaways or are any of the followup Runaways stories good?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You won't be missing anything by stopping.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like Whedon's run, but it's contentious. I didn't like Terry Moore's run. Kathryn Immonen started turning the book around, but it got canceled after 4 issues.

I wouldn't go out of my way to hunt down the issues, but if you have Marvel Unlimited or something, probably worth a read if you like the characters.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just stopped after BKV's run, personally. It just felt weird to go on, everything was all cartoony and there were HA-HA MOLLY IS A TWEEN jokes and Kevin Smith and I was like yeah nope

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is Avengers vs. X-Men good? I ask cause I'm reading Nova (Sam Alexander) and it seems like he played a fairly significant role in the event.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

Is Avengers vs. X-Men good? I ask cause I'm reading Nova (Sam Alexander) and it seems like he played a fairly significant role in the event.

It's a big dumb crossover event.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Really? I read about half of it and I don't remember him even showing up.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I picked up a month of Marvel Unlimited, and the goofiness of Squirrel Girl is growing on me. Have they published anything in that sort of webcomicky, goofy style before that might scratch the same itch?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Teddybear posted:

I picked up a month of Marvel Unlimited, and the goofiness of Squirrel Girl is growing on me. Have they published anything in that sort of webcomicky, goofy style before that might scratch the same itch?

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Teddybear posted:

Howard the Duck is great as well

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Skwirl posted:

Really? I read about half of it and I don't remember him even showing up.
Sam's introduction was a short prequel to AvX where he said "I... epic fail" while watching the Phoenix destroy a planet, then rushed back to Earth to warn people

Alice Klar
Apr 13, 2016
Nerd goons,

I used to be way into comics but haven't read them in three years. Last time I was reading, Hickman's Infinity was just starting to kick into gear and DC was dicking about doing not much of anything.

A couple of questions, specifically for Marvel and DC:

1) Can you please bring me up to speed on what has happened since, event plot-wise, or let me know the name of the events and I'll read Wikipedia?

2) What are the three best titles the big two are putting out at the moment? Do they have an obvious jumping-on point?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alice Klar posted:

Nerd goons,

I used to be way into comics but haven't read them in three years. Last time I was reading, Hickman's Infinity was just starting to kick into gear and DC was dicking about doing not much of anything.

A couple of questions, specifically for Marvel and DC:

1) Can you please bring me up to speed on what has happened since, event plot-wise, or let me know the name of the events and I'll read Wikipedia?

2) What are the three best titles the big two are putting out at the moment? Do they have an obvious jumping-on point?

For Marvel, Hickman narratively jumped forward several months in the Avengers books with Tony and Steve at war over the incursions, then the main and Ultimate universes crashed into each other and Secret Wars happened. I'll leave that up to you to find out, I guess, but in the end we got the Marvel Universe back only slightly altered (IE: Miles Morales and his friends and family aren't Ultimate characters anymore.)

Best comics: Vision, Uncanny Inhumans, Mighty Thor
-Vision is completely unique and has an issue mid-way through that covers backstory, so just start it at #1.
-This run of Inhumans comics kicked off after Infinity with the two issue 'Inhumanity' by Matt Fraction, then the "Inhuman" series by Charles Soule, which is followed by "Uncanny Inhumans" and "All New Inhumans" which are now running at the same time.
-Mighty Thor is the third Thor series by Jason Aaron (not counting the Thors Secret Wars mini.) That's best started at his "Thor: God of Thunder" which turns into "Thor" and now "The Mighty Thor"

DC. They just started their Rebirth relaunch, which is kicked off by a one-shot called "DC Universe Rebirth." Start there.
I'll just say that it focuses on a character clawing their way into the universe after not being included in the New 52, and the implications therein.

Everything is kicking off new series pretty fresh except for Superman. The deal there is that the Lois and Clark from the old universe (pre-N52) were captured and thrown into the N52 around the time of the Justice League forming, and have been living in secret, raising a son till the N52's Superman just recently died. Now in Rebirth, old Superman is taking his place and his son will be Superboy. Read about that in the miniseries "Superman: Lois and Clark" It's pretty nice. Supes has a great beard.

Best comics: Green Arrow, Superman, Batman. (e: So far. Not all of the new series have launched yet.)
DC had 'Rebirth' issues for each of these series before the new #1's. They basically act as #0's, so, as an example, you should read "DC Universe Rebirth" then "Batman Rebirth #1" then "Batman (2016) #1"
Superman is all about this Superman's little family, so it's worth reading 'Lois and Clark' first before any Rebirth stuff.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 30, 2016

Alice Klar
Apr 13, 2016
Thank you, Teenage Fansub!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Everything is kicking off new series pretty fresh except for Superman. The deal there is that the Lois and Clark from the old universe (pre-N52) were captured and thrown into the N52 around the time of the Justice League forming, and have been living in secret, raising a son till the N52's Superman just recently died. Now in Rebirth, old Superman is taking his place and his son will be Superboy. Read about that in the miniseries "Superman: Lois and Clark" It's pretty nice. Supes has a great beard.

That's loving crazy and I'm going to get right on it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Alice Klar posted:

Thank you, Teenage Fansub!

That's loving crazy and I'm going to get right on it.

It's actually even crazier than that in ways that are not totally clear yet.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
There's a GI Joe sale on comixology. Someone talk to me about what recent-ish (post-turn of the century) GI Joe comics are good, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JoshTheStampede posted:

There's a GI Joe sale on comixology. Someone talk to me about what recent-ish (post-turn of the century) GI Joe comics are good, please.

Modern reprints of the Larry Hama comics?