Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

So what I am seeing is Briles gets an undisclosed buyout and avoids a show cause and Baylor gets to sweep everything under the rug. Its a win/win!!*

*unless you are a victim of sexual assault at Baylor, past or future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I miss Waco.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

General Dog posted:

I miss Waco.

Sex just isn't the same when a football player isn't putting you in your place

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

So what I am seeing is Briles gets an undisclosed buyout and avoids a show cause and Baylor gets to sweep everything under the rug. Its a win/win!!*

Has the NCAA said they aren't going to look into Baylor/it's not something they can punish for?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

Has the NCAA said they aren't going to look into Baylor/it's not something they can punish for?

Baylor said that they self-reported "potential violations" when Briles was first suspended and the NCAA has been characteristically completely silent about it since then

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Honestly its not the NCAA's area, but after seeing what happened at Penn State, if the DoJ gets involved the NCAA will absolutely drop the hammer on Baylor.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Baylor will get kinda hosed, but not nearly as much as they should be unless the Big XII decides to burn them to the ground. Jim Grobe isn't gonna take them to a New Years Six bowl anyway so maybe they'll just go back to wishing they're Kansas State, I guess.

Briles is gonna get like a seven-year Show Cause but he won't care because I suspect he got at least $25M of the remaining $40M on his contract out of Baylor. I hope he retires and does literally anything else he wants besides coach football because gently caress Art Briles.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

skaboomizzy posted:

maybe they'll just go back to wishing they're Kansas State, I guess.

For a while there Baylor wished they were Kansas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is he moving for Chip and Joanna

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I ate at a Pappadeaux recently. It loving sucked. Then again it was in Houston airport so that might've had something to do with it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pappasitos is the good one.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

swickles posted:

Honestly its not the NCAA's area, but after seeing what happened at Penn State, if the DoJ gets involved the NCAA will absolutely drop the hammer on Baylor.

I am really worried about the future of college football is Penn State got heavy sanctions and Baylor doesn't. If a university learns to keep its mouth shut and it will make out better than a university that in any way cracks, we are never gonna see anyone admit to anything ever again

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am really worried about the future of college football is Penn State got heavy sanctions and Baylor doesn't. If a university learns to keep its mouth shut and it will make out better than a university that in any way cracks, we are never gonna see anyone admit to anything ever again

I too am concerned that athletic departments and universities may start becoming secretive in order to protect their brand.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 26, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seriously, they haven't been admitting to anything for decades now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
That was the point. If you don't go after a university clearly trying to cover-up wrongdoing you are reinforcing the habit of doing it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Except Penn State didn't "crack", Penn State was blown open by people who finally came forward combined with some fantastic investigative reporting, it wasn't anything the school ever admitted to.

It was blown open to the point that the NCAA had no choice but to respond. They'd rather ignore most of these issues (partly because they aren't law enforcement) every bit as much as the schools themselves ignore women on their campuses being raped.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

And Baylor is in the same situation and trying to burn the evidence

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And Baylor is in the same situation and trying to burn the evidence

Fire gets rid of problems in Waco

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

DJExile posted:

Except Penn State didn't "crack", Penn State was blown open by people who finally came forward combined with some fantastic investigative reporting, it wasn't anything the school ever admitted to.

It was blown open to the point that the NCAA had no choice but to respond. They'd rather ignore most of these issues (partly because they aren't law enforcement) every bit as much as the schools themselves ignore women on their campuses being raped.

Penn State released the Freeh Report to the public whereas Baylor is not even writing down the Pepper Hamilton report; that's the big difference.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

rebel1608 posted:

Penn State released the Freeh Report to the public whereas Baylor is not even writing down the Pepper Hamilton report; that's the big difference.

I do imagine that if the Freeh Report had been more institutionally damning the BoT might have had more temptation to cover it up. The Freeh Report suggested the BoT was more or less non-culpable and that it was a small group within the University that oversaw the coverup. The Pepper Hamilton report sounds like to blows up everyone in the administration.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do imagine that if the Freeh Report had been more institutionally damning the BoT might have had more temptation to cover it up. The Freeh Report suggested the BoT was more or less non-culpable and that it was a small group within the University that oversaw the coverup. The Pepper Hamilton report sounds like to blows up everyone in the administration.

You may be right and if I'm remembering the sequence of events correctly, by the time the Freeh report was ready Spanier and Curley had been indicted, Paterno was dead, and of course Sandusky was long arrested and indicted, so no one still in power was condemned by it.

So a difference in that sense, but even so I think the point about being open vs. being secretive still stands depending on what the NCAA does

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

rebel1608 posted:

You may be right and if I'm remembering the sequence of events correctly, by the time the Freeh report was ready Spanier and Curley had been indicted, Paterno was dead, and of course Sandusky was long arrested and indicted, so no one still in power was condemned by it.

So a difference in that sense, but even so I think the point about being open vs. being secretive still stands depending on what the NCAA does

Oh totally, plus, a lot of what was used to indict Sandusky did come from testimony from McQueary et al. I think they were confident enough it would not come back to bite them, but if they were part of the Baylor administration they probably just would have plead the fifth and hoped Sandusky not being indicted would protect them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Penn State's also a... I don't know the exact word, semi-public? school, so the Freeh report was likely coming out one way or another.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

Penn State's also a... I don't know the exact word, semi-public? school, so the Freeh report was likely coming out one way or another.

State-Related

Quality loophole that

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I ate at a Pappadeaux recently. It loving sucked. Then again it was in Houston airport so that might've had something to do with it.

No they're just awful, overpriced garbage.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Regarding players being let out of their NLI's

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

pillsburysoldier posted:

Figurelli alt account?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

old white racist texan football fan

well I never

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
this is basically an update of woody allen's two old ladies in a nursing home joke

"i hate these scum bag black players!" "yeah and they keep leaving my team!"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

Internet Man Says Dumb Things, more at 11

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's odd he bothered using the word black along with the dogwhistles.

Art filed to be removed as a defendant from the case, not sure how that works. "I know I helped Al Capone launder his money, but I got fired so I'm jot doing it any more"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

effectual posted:

It's odd he bothered using the word black along with the dogwhistles.

Art filed to be removed as a defendant from the case, not sure how that works. "I know I helped Al Capone launder his money, but I got fired so I'm jot doing it any more"

The case is against the university. He's arguing the suit being against the university prevents him being sued as an individual.

E: One of our legal eagles ITT can probably explain this better than I can but I think he's arguing that the suit only specifies a case against Baylor University and never named Art specifically.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 7, 2016

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Q&A with a regent from baylor's 247 site

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 8, 2016

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
It'd be nice if the mainstream media actually REPORTED on what Julian Massage actually had in his wikifiles

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Ugh, terrible leak, but we have cell footage of the Baylor Rapes committed by the Baylor Rapists and definitely not planted there by Hillary Clinton's Cronies in order to take down Ken Starr for investigating her husband's penis 20 years ago

https://twitter.com/Bdell1014/status/751122496347369472/video/1

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/Deadspin/status/759739962870927360

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:stare:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's obviously not good, but if you read the actual AP report they're quoting from, Deadspin is slapping a fairly sensationalist headline on it. It reads like the alcohol policy acted as a passive deterrent for reporting, but not as something where a surly admin actively used it as a cudgel. It's sad, but it's not really anything we didn't already know.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

But Jesus, am I tired of apologizing for these clowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

"the article posted:

"I was told by many Baylor staff that they couldn't do anything for me because my assault was off campus, yet they had no problem punishing me for my off-campus drinking," the woman said. Schools are bound by federal law to investigate on- and off-campus sex assault allegations.
pretty sure this is a cudgel. so it wasn't someone telling a student "if you specifically bring an investigation about a football player raping you BAH GAWD I'LL SEE YOU EXPELLED", but nobody has to do that if they systematically ignore the "Someone raped me" part of the sentence "Someone raped me while I was at a party" in favor of kicking you out for the "at a party" bit

• Locked thread