Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

There is this game coming out called We Happy Few where people take this drug to make them forget unhappy things and think the world is a happy place. They live in bliss, but it is a chemical form of self-delusion, not ignorance or indoctrination. I want some adjectives to describe this. "Brainwashing" doesn't fit, brainwashing means something different and very specific.

The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray’r accepted, and each wish resign’d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kurzon posted:

There is this game coming out called We Happy Few where people take this drug to make them forget unhappy things and think the world is a happy place. They live in bliss, but it is a chemical form of self-delusion, not ignorance or indoctrination. I want some adjectives to describe this. "Brainwashing" doesn't fit, brainwashing means something different and very specific.

Induced euphoria? Manufactured joy? False elation?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Placated?

e: Mollified?

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 22, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tranquilised?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Kurzon posted:

For inspiration, you might want to search out descriptions of soma from the famous novel Brave New World, and relatedly, the drug in the film Equilibrium. The idea sounds vaguely similar.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Kurzon posted:

I'm looking for an English adjective that describes someone who is excessively happy, out of touch with how bad his circumstances or the state of the world is. Someone who is happy and optimistic through self-delusion. Any English wizards here?

I might be dating myself but a person like that might be called a "Pollyanna". I believe it's a literary reference. I got called that because of my generally pessimistic outlook.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

Any good sites/recommendations for lawn tractors?

I have a hilly 3 acre lawn and the beater 1991 Simplicity I've been using finally died. I'm currently looking between a Husquavara GT52XLS and John Deere x380 (or possibly x580).

If money were no object, I'd go John Deere. However, since money is an object, I'm leaning toward the Husquavara which is about 1/3 less than the JD x380 and over half of an x580.

Look into what a lawn service costs, it might be a cheaper option. I have an older JD that I have to store outside and every year I have to sink a few hundred into it and it pains me beyond measure.

Kurzon posted:

There is this game coming out called We Happy Few where people take this drug to make them forget unhappy things and think the world is a happy place.

But wouldn't that actually just make you normal "happy"? Like, it's all pretty subjective in any case which is maybe why there isnt a word for it?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'm reading over an employment offer and I ran into this phrase that I've never encountered before:

"$X total starting salary comprising of base salary and payment for job covenants with annual performance and compensation reviews"

Emphasis mine. What does that mean exactly? Google isn't being super helpful, but I think it has something to do with a non-compete clause.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm reading over an employment offer and I ran into this phrase that I've never encountered before:

"$X total starting salary comprising of base salary and payment for job covenants with annual performance and compensation reviews"

Emphasis mine. What does that mean exactly? Google isn't being super helpful, but I think it has something to do with a non-compete clause.

It almost sounds like a severance agreement with the job covenant term, but they wouldn't include that as your 'starting salary'. Maybe it's a signing bonus or something. Would definitely ask.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

I think "delusional" is the word I'd use. It's a bit like Nozick's experience machine thought experiment.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
What's the purpose of those tests on some job applications where they ask, "What would you do if you saw a coworker stealing?" "Stealing is wrong. Strongly agree, strongly disagree, etc." Seems like the answers are pretty common sense, and I can't imagine people putting down that they think stealing is okay. Plus the instructions usually say there are no right or wrong answers, so who are the tests supposed to weed out?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
People stupid enough to strongly disagree? :shrug:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure those tests are mostly just to add an artificial obstacle for people who want to apply. They can't really raise the bar with qualifications like office jobs do, so they just make applying more onerous to reduce the number of applications they have to sort out.

They're also basic literacy tests in disguise. If you can navigate a computer and a sentence well enough to do this dumb survey, you have some the skills for this job already.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I dunno about that particular question, but I do know that a lot of applications and hiring procedures like to include little "gotcha" elements that they can use later on to can your rear end without recompense if needed. Put a clause in the application that says "If you lie on this your job is forfeit", put in a bunch of questions like "Have you ever stolen anything?" "Have you ever worked high?" etc. Most people that have done those things will lie about it (Because if you say "Yeah, I steal poo poo" they ain't gonna hire you in the first place) and bingo-bango when it comes time to fire you they just say "We discovered you did X at a previous position, and therefore lied on your application. No severance package or unemployment for you.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
When I was laid off in 2008 I did a bunch of those online retail applications in desperation. Even though I was by myself at home it was extremely humiliating. Most of them said something like "you CANNOT go back or pause the Q&A section. If you do not receive a reply after submitting DO NOT contact retail or corporate locations". It's like they wanted to see how desperate and low I was, because someone who is desperate enough to spend an hour and twenty minutes applying to stock shelves is probably too low to try and organize a union or fight for that hour of overtime that wasn't paid. I got lucky and didn't have to take any of those jobs, but jeez louise what a nightmare it is to be scraping by. What a rotten place we've created :/

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Anyway, question of my own: how do I stop one dumb bird from singing all night? I don't know if he has a brain disease or something but this one guy sings from like 1 to 4 nonstop. It's actually really beautiful but so shrill and up in my ears that it drives me nuts. It's gotta be the same one cause it's the exact same half dozen songs on repeat, and I can mimic them all now because it's constant when I'm trying to sleep.

E: here's a boring video of he voice slicing through the night air, it's 230 here and this is probably the middle of a 4 hour solo sesh https://youtu.be/PAi3mQf5NAE

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 23, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

bongwizzard posted:

But wouldn't that actually just make you normal "happy"? Like, it's all pretty subjective in any case which is maybe why there isnt a word for it?
Happiness is a feeling but we have plenty of words describing how we achieve that feeling. Is there a word for a drug-induced state of blissful unawareness? I know there are plenty of drugs that get you high, but none have quite the same effects as that in We Happy Few. The drug makes people forget unhappy memories and perceive the world as nicer than it really is; it does not affect motor functions or speech.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

life is a joke posted:

Anyway, question of my own: how do I stop one dumb bird from singing all night? I don't know if he has a brain disease or something but this one guy sings from like 1 to 4 nonstop. It's actually really beautiful but so shrill and up in my ears that it drives me nuts. It's gotta be the same one cause it's the exact same half dozen songs on repeat, and I can mimic them all now because it's constant when I'm trying to sleep.

E: here's a boring video of he voice slicing through the night air, it's 230 here and this is probably the middle of a 4 hour solo sesh https://youtu.be/PAi3mQf5NAE
Maybe it's mating season, or maybe he's scaring rivals from his territory. I hear city birds also have different singing patterns as a reaction to ambient city noise.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jake Snake posted:

What's the purpose of those tests on some job applications where they ask, "What would you do if you saw a coworker stealing?" "Stealing is wrong. Strongly agree, strongly disagree, etc." Seems like the answers are pretty common sense, and I can't imagine people putting down that they think stealing is okay. Plus the instructions usually say there are no right or wrong answers, so who are the tests supposed to weed out?

The question isn't asking if you personally think stealing is ok, generally the intent with these kinds of questions is they ask what you would do if you saw a coworker stealing and present you with options on how you would react ranging from keeping quiet, confronting the coworker directly, announcing to everyone that "X is a thief", or reporting it to your superiors privately etc. and by asking you this they aren't actually asking you anything but rather telling you what they want you to do, which is to report them. You already know this but they are reinforcing it (and yes also maybe weeding out the handful of dumbasses that kind figure that out).

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I'm trying to find an adapter, but Google is failing me. I want an adapter that will take in a TRRS plug from a headphone wire (headphones and microphone combo) and output two separate plugs: one for the headphones and one for the microphone. It should look something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021819&p_id=10146&seq=1&format=2

It should be pretty simple but I don't know what to search for.

EDIT: Literally looking for the opposite of this: https://www.amazon.com/Extrasensory-Devices-ESDHW011-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B006T65CXE

EDIT2: Found what I was looking for: http://www.showmecables.com/product/iPhone-Head-Set-Breakout-Cable-3-5mm-TRRS-Jack-to-Dual-3-5mm-Stereo-Plug-6-IN.aspx

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 23, 2016

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Tranquilised?

Or narcotized.

Tennessee Williams used this word in his description of Stella the morning after Stanley famously howled her name and then carried her off to their bedroom.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
This is perhaps not a small question.

My laptop's motherboard died recently; data stored on the Samsung EVO SSD was fine (I copied over to a different drive, and checked a whole bunch of files at random). I got a new motherboard put in under warranty, and now my installation of Windows 10 is all kinds of hosed. I get file permission errors, programs have completely forgotten that they're installed, some things flat out won't open, phantom "out of memory" errors (I am trying to open a 17kB text file with 9 GB of RAM free -- really don't think it's a memory issue).

Are there Windows settings stored on the motherboard somewhere? Is there any way to restore my old installation, or am I completely hosed and I need to flatten the disk and start clean?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Are there Windows settings stored on the motherboard somewhere? Is there any way to restore my old installation, or am I completely hosed and I need to flatten the disk and start clean?

Your old files could be saved under your old username/OS unique ID - when you straight copy files from one disk to another this can happen. Try checking file permissions and ownership - for a drive that I had in similar circumstances I found I had to basically run Explorer in Administrator mode to access poo poo reliably.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Your old files could be saved under your old username/OS unique ID - when you straight copy files from one disk to another this can happen. Try checking file permissions and ownership - for a drive that I had in similar circumstances I found I had to basically run Explorer in Administrator mode to access poo poo reliably.

Let me rephrase. The copy of the files works fine. It's the original files, on the original SSD, that are the problem. That's why I was asking about settings stored on the motherboard: as far as I know the technician didn't touch my SSD during the service, so there isn't an obvious reason why so many things would be wrong with Windows.

New question: I remember that Windows ties its installations to particular hardware setups. I may have triggered some sort of licensing issue when the new motherboard was put in. Is there a phone number I can call to get this sorted out? Googling just leads me to a bunch of people having problems with upgrades from 7 to 10.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Can you get a fresh install of Win10 going on the SSD, and copy the relevant user files over? That's how I'd do it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

How do you remove a poster from your ignore list?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grundulum posted:

Let me rephrase. The copy of the files works fine. It's the original files, on the original SSD, that are the problem. That's why I was asking about settings stored on the motherboard: as far as I know the technician didn't touch my SSD during the service, so there isn't an obvious reason why so many things would be wrong with Windows.

New question: I remember that Windows ties its installations to particular hardware setups. I may have triggered some sort of licensing issue when the new motherboard was put in. Is there a phone number I can call to get this sorted out? Googling just leads me to a bunch of people having problems with upgrades from 7 to 10.

If there was a licensing issue, you would get a message from Windows telling you it was no longer activated. It would not manifest itself as the issues you're describing.

Windows 10 has an option to do an in-place reinstall, leaving all files and settings intact. You will lose any installed programs and would need to re-install. I would try that (if you've backed up your important data)

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

ninjahedgehog posted:

How do you remove a poster from your ignore list?

Edit your ignore list.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member2.php?action=viewlist&userlist=ignore

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sometime in the last few months, my Chrome has been using this font of Arial/Verdana/whatever for a variety of websites:

I don't even know what font is this. It seems to pop up on a random assortment of websites; the screencap you see is from a Blogger website.

The font is obviously god awful for reading. It's too skinny. How do I fix it?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Vegetable posted:

Sometime in the last few months, my Chrome has been using this font of Arial/Verdana/whatever for a variety of websites:

I don't even know what font is this. It seems to pop up on a random assortment of websites; the screencap you see is from a Blogger website.

Assuming it's just a chrome issue (and not some weird extension or something in windows), go to advanced settings and look at fonts. My default settings are

Font size: medium
Standard font - times new roman (size 16)
Serif font - times new roman (size 16)
sans-serif font - arial (size 16)
fixed-width font - consolas
Minimum font size - Tiny
Encoding - Western (windows-1252)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I changed my font settings to yours and am still getting the same font problem. Might be something else...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vegetable posted:

Can you link that particular page? I'd like to see what the source code says for the font families.

It's likely that you're missing some font most people have, but to narrow it down the page itself is neccesary.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Load up that same page in an incognito window, it won't load any extensions so you can see if that's the problem.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

If there was a licensing issue, you would get a message from Windows telling you it was no longer activated. It would not manifest itself as the issues you're describing.

Windows 10 has an option to do an in-place reinstall, leaving all files and settings intact. You will lose any installed programs and would need to re-install. I would try that (if you've backed up your important data)

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

The in-place installation did not fix my problem. Then, when I created some bootable installation media and tried to reinstall Windows to my existing partition (the option that allows me to keep my files), I got another file permission error. The only thing that I (or the multiple Microsoft techs I wound up chatting with) got to work was deleting the partition and re-installing Windows as if to a completely new hard drive.

I have no clue how a motherboard failure while the computer is turned off could corrupt only Windows data and not any of the other files on the drive. But at least I have it sorted, and this gave me a chance to eliminate all the crap that accumulates over time on a computer.

Thanks for the suggestions, even though it didn't work. Glad I back up my data routinely.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

fishmech posted:

Can you link that particular page? I'd like to see what the source code says for the font families.

It's likely that you're missing some font most people have, but to narrow it down the page itself is neccesary.
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/

life is a joke posted:

Load up that same page in an incognito window, it won't load any extensions so you can see if that's the problem.
I loaded it up in incognito, unfortunately it made no difference.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Vegetable posted:

You're missing a weight of Helvetica Neue on your computer and/or you installed a different version of Helvetica Neue than the default either intentionally or without noticing. I've had this same issue in the past. As a designer I tend to have a crapload of fonts installed on my computer and several times previously I've accidentally installed a version of Helvetica Neue with ~20 different weights over the system Helvetica Neue which has about five or six. The result is what you're seeing.

Regardless as to whether you're missing a font file or you have a weird version installed, your computer thinks it's showing the right version of the font. I've never been able to solve this without doing a clean reinstall of my OS. Good luck. :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vegetable posted:

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/

I suggest you try temporarily deleting Helvetica Neue from your system and then verifying if you have Arial properly installed.

On Windows the fonts will usually be located in C:\Windows\Fonts and you can just look through them like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Since we're on the topic of Chrome, here's a stupid question: Is there any way to get a Chrome window to have a normal title bar on a Mac? It's easy enough on Linux but I can't find any way to do it on OSX.

If you're wondering why on Earth I'd want that, I'm just in the habit of clicking the title bar to switch focus to the window I want. It's always a nice big target and a place that won't have any other effect when you click it. (Well, except for the Preview app, which put a control up there for some reason. Don't get me started on that.) Anyway, I'm a stubborn old Firefox user giving Chrome another chance, and it's a little annoying to have to aim for the narrow little strip above the tabs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Since we're on the topic of Chrome, here's a stupid question: Is there any way to get a Chrome window to have a normal title bar on a Mac? It's easy enough on Linux but I can't find any way to do it on OSX.

If you're wondering why on Earth I'd want that, I'm just in the habit of clicking the title bar to switch focus to the window I want. It's always a nice big target and a place that won't have any other effect when you click it. (Well, except for the Preview app, which put a control up there for some reason. Don't get me started on that.) Anyway, I'm a stubborn old Firefox user giving Chrome another chance, and it's a little annoying to have to aim for the narrow little strip above the tabs.

I don't think so, no. I usually just use the dock to switch apps, or mission control, or click on the space right of the open tabs.

Any reason not to just use Firefox or Safari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm looking for a TV show where some extra or minor character tells one of the main characters "you're pathetic" in an ironic way, like he had just got done smoking or drinking a lot or something. It might have been the Simpsons, and he might have been some sort of cowboy.

Edit: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx8L_xJ3yIY