Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MonsieurChoc posted:

The First Order is just another ZeonImperial Remnant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ourB80IQEes

That seems like it's going to lead to the exact opposite result. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuppie Scum
Nov 28, 2003

Fortune and glory, kids. Fortune and glory.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Production design on Rogue One is absolutely insane so far.

It reminds me of The Guns of Navarone

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

I'm still of the opinion that First Order itself more closely resembles fascist nostalgics across the western world currently. While I'm sure that children are being indoctrinated in Islamic State, that wasn't its defining method of recruitment (which is the adoption of alienated arab citizens near and abroad). Especially with the intention to return to The Good Old Times (additionally contrasting well with Rey and Finn's growth in leaving their pasts), rather than the creation of a new superior state.

I will admit that there are strong similarities in the Iraq-IS/Empire-FO though, especially in how they represent the impotence of even the greatest forces in crushing ideology.

Well, it's not as if fascist nostalgics are an exclusively first-world phenomenon. The imagery can be misleading here; remember the Viet Cong in light of A New Hope.

It's not a total allegory, of course. Things can be multiple things. You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. I think the political situation becomes stronger if you look at The Force Awakens' stormtroopers not as indoctrinated children (that particular angle is good as an echo of the First Order back onto the Jedi Order) but as what their circumstances made them. All this Star War has created many victims who were not casualties - is it so surprising that some were radicalized?

Conflating that process with the postindustrial hero's journey of going through the motions of a regimented and hyper-quantified society until spontaneously awakening to its evil is an interesting notion. It might be more provocative than I first thought. I'll have to mull it over some.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

We are all Han Solo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

turtlecrunch posted:

We are all Han Solo.

The dude on the right is actually Dallas from Alien.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Wait why are there helicopters in this?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Rogue One is actually going to be a Magnum PI homage.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This one looks like it may be better than the other seven films combined

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

It's probably just to capture nice overhead shots. Considering the rest of the images I'm sure the slight helicopter shake only helps with the feel they're going for.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The cameras are mounted on the helicopters, not pointed at the helicopters.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

WRONG, that is clearly BB-8 hanging off the nose

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
theres actually a tiny clone trooper in that pod shooting mini death star lasers

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

MrMojok posted:

This one looks like it may be better than the other seven films combined

there are eight canon feature films thank you

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It's clearly going for a black hawk down thing which is cool I just dunno how I feel about helicopters in SW. Feels a little out of place but I guess this movie is set in the past.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Maybe I'm failing to pick up on a running gag, but I believe these are production photos, not stills from the film itself.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah, the final shot will have just the helicopter and not the camera crew running along the ground there.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Stacks posted:

It's unlikely any of the Star Wars movies are going to be 'relevant' in a hundred years.

Star Wars has always been dismissed as infantile trash by a lot of critics and it's often blamed with the Dumbing Down of Cinema:

I don't find the prequels or OT to be thematically dense. Or at least more dense then a lot of sci-fi movies that preceded it. It's a shallow mish mash of Buddism and Hinduism. Philosophy 101 stuff. Streamlined and neatly packaged to be inoffensive and easily consumed by the masses.

The Force Awakens is a wildly entertaining blockbuster movies. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

The original six Star Wars films are just as thematically dense and intellectual as pretty much any other movie commonly held to be so by the cinematic intelligentsia. There's no daylight between a film like The Phantom Menace and a film like, say, Apocalypse Now when it comes to that sort of thing. Neither of them are Sartre, but what movie is? I don't think movies are even supposed to be that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cnut the Great posted:

The original six Star Wars films are just as thematically dense and intellectual as pretty much any other movie commonly held to be so by the cinematic intelligentsia. There's no daylight between a film like The Phantom Menace and a film like, say, Apocalypse Now when it comes to that sort of thing. Neither of them are Sartre, but what movie is? I don't think movies are even supposed to be that.

Battle: Los Angeles is Sartre. Being Sartre is frankly not a huge accomplishment.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah his works of fiction are pretty straight-forward actually (thank you high school existentialist phase).

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNOXuurUODE

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Looks like James Cameron spoke to some folks about Star Wars (3m18s in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLE0QXytO6w

James Cameron posted:

I have to say that I felt that George’s group of six films had more innovative visual imagination, and this film was more of a retrenchment to things you had seen before and characters you had seen before, and it took a few baby steps forward with new characters. So for me the jury’s out, I wanna see where they go with it.

He's not wrong

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

"James Cameron Has A Troubling Opinion On ‘Star Wars’ And ‘The Force Awakens’" is my favorite headline so far.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

he's extremely correct but the avatar sequels are going to bomb so hard rip

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cameron has taken many gambles in is career and almost every single one of them paid off, but yea this may be his downfall. He's poured so much time and money into these sequels and if the first one bombs its big trouble. And for such a huge project, the definition of a "bomb" is a lot different, expectations are off the charts. If the first sequel makes like $800 million it will be considered a failure and a bad omen of what's to come for the rest.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
mm-hm
mm-hm
yeah
mm-hm
mm-hm
/laughing yeah
mm-hm
mm-hm
uh-huh
mm-hm

:catstare:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
quick and dirty while I watch the rest -

[HL]: Are you a Star Wars fan?

Yeah. Star Wars obviously came out 9 years later [after 2001: A Space Odyssey], and obviously it was influenced in terms of the look of the spacecraft and so on, but its energy was completely different. Much more dynamic, it wasn't technical and cold, it was fun, it was exciting. And everything just kind of blew up at that point in the visual effects world, um, it was a big revolution and I wanted to be in on it. Star Wars was the film that made me want to go actually do it. I had been studying all this stuff, Star Wars was the film that made me want to actually do the work. I didn't know if I was going to be a model builder, cameraman, visual effects guy, or something like that. Eventually, because I was a storyteller at heart, I went through visual effects to design- production design, building sets and so on -then to directing. In a very short space of about three years, I homed in on directing.

[HL]: So have you seen the new one?

Yes I have.

[HL]: So what did you think?

Well, George Lucas is a friend of mine, and he and I were having a good conversation the other day about it. Uh, I don't want to say too much about the film, so, I also have a lot of respect for JJ Abrams and I want to see where they're taking it next, you know? See what they're doing with it... I have to say that I felt George's group of six films had more innovative visual imagination. This film was more of a retrenchment to things you had seen before, characters you had seen before, and it took a few baby steps forward with new characters. So for me the jury's out, I want to see where they go with it.

--------------------

[HL:] I think I saw a quote a while ago that said "A piece of art is never finished, just abandoned". What's your take on that?

I think that it's pried out of your fingers by reality. You know, I think it's fine if you're a playwright or you're a novelist. But nobody- you don't publish a screenplay, you release a film. So the screenplay is a means to an end in my mind, it's not some sacred document. It's a working document, and from that your various departments can go off and start designing props, costumes, and setpieces, and creatures, and all that. And you're going to go get some actors, and the actors are going to come in, and they'll breathe life into the characters. So for me it's kind of a constant process of discovery and refinement. Where the film ultimately gets "abandoned" is when the release date is two weeks down the line, and you've got to make some decision, you know. But by then I think all of the major decisions have been made, and now you're tweaking, you're just refining sound, and trying to finish the visual effects.

[HL:] Are there any common qualities in cinema today that you dislike? Are there any that you try to avoid in your work that you see in other movies?

Well I think that the pace of editing has constantly sped up over the last 20 or 30 years, and I have consciously worked against that. Like Titanic, for example, very very slow pace of cutting, which allows people to take in the frame, take in the production design, take in the actors' expressions and so on. It's actually cut at a rate that's about three times slower than the average movie today. Even Avatar, I held on cuts, I held on shots, about 1.5 to 2 times as long as the typical movie today. So I think movies are cut too fast. I think the filmmakers look at them during the editing process and actually memorize their own cut. And I do an experiment with myself, when I'm finishing the film, that I'll take fast-cut action sequences- because action sequences tend to be [fast-cut] -and I'll turn the film around backwards so that it's a mirror image. I used to do it by actually turning the film projector, now we just do it by applying an effect- flops, it's called a flop when you do a mirror image. And I watch the film not backwards end-to-end, but mirror image, and it breaks all the circuitry that I've built up for where to look next. And it's how I know a cut is working, an action cut is working, um, and sometimes I will have to hold on a shot longer or take a shot out, bridge across, let it- let part of it stay in the cut.

Another thing I think that films have forgotten is that the world is beautiful. There was a period of time where films got grimmer and grimmer, and greyer and greyer. And as much as I love The Matrix, everything was kind of black-white-green, and it worked for that film, but did every film need to look that way? I don't think so. And so, you know, in Avatar and Titanic- these are obviously very successful films, but they are also very beautiful, um, they're not grim. They have grim moments, but they also have beautiful moments. Beauty for beauty's sake. I think that's missing from films today. When they first started making films in color, they put in scenes just because they looked good. It's a crazy concept. You know, this scene is not advancing the plot, it's not advancing the characters, no conflict, why is it there? Because it looks beautiful. You know, I think people forget to do that.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 29, 2016

Parachute
May 18, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

You know, this scene is not advancing the plot, it's not advancing the characters, no conflict, why is it there? Because it looks beautiful. You know, I think people forget to do that.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yes

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yessssss, let's return this world to the era of longer shots.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love Cameron and those were interesting opinions.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Longer shots that serve only to make the film more beautiful are totally cool with me esp in a Star Wars universe cmon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"Gah who cares what a movie looks like!!"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bring Chaos Cinema to an end. All hail the tyranny of composed images actually worth looking at in the cinema.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
[HL]: There is a quote that says "We get noticed because of our successes, but we create them on the back of our failures. We learn best from the experiences where it doesn't work, and yet we still only discuss the success not the failure." What failures of your own have you been able to learn from, and how have they changed you and your process?

Okay, well I'll let you know as soon as I have one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its true, Cameron hasn't had any real failures as a filmmaker. He's got one of the most consistent resumes you'll ever see, although he's not very prolific, he tends to take his time with a project.

Even Strange Days has gone through a reappraisal in recent years, its a borderline cult classic at this point.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Its true, Cameron hasn't had any real failures as a filmmaker. He's got one of the most consistent resumes you'll ever see, although he's not very prolific, he tends to take his time with a project.

Even Strange Days has gone through a reappraisal in recent years, its a borderline cult classic at this point.

Wasn't Strange Days directed by Kathryn Bigelow? Fantastic movie regardless.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Serf posted:

Wasn't Strange Days directed by Kathryn Bigelow? Fantastic movie regardless.
It was but Cameron wrote the screenplay. Not that great of a movie IMO.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
He did go back to the question and say he's had some movies he's been writer/producer/documentary filmmaker on that were failures by the metric of how much box office they did, but all his director outings made money. He said anything he believes in and that he was satisfied by he would never call a failure.

Unrelated to Avatar sequels:
http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/06/iain-mccaig-talks-about-production-on-the-force-awakens-hints-at-star-wars-episode-viii-plot.html

There was a New Zealand conference for scifi/fantasy artists on June 4th and Iain McCraig who designed Darth Maul/Queen Amidala's signature costume and also did pre-production for TFA spoke a bit about TFA prepro. This is paraphrased by someone who was at the conference:

+ At first George Lucas wanted nothing to do with the new film
+ Later he decided to submit a script and asked Iain to help him realize some of the concepts in it
+ Lucas's script was rejected due to prequel references, in TFA prepro there was a Disney embargo on anything prequel-related coming up in the film
+ "he was unable to confirm nor deny if Lucas’ script had any influence or effect on the Arndt/Kasdan/Abrams script – but strongly implied to the positive"
+ Disney was reluctant to make any of the new characters non-white, but JJ got his way with Boyega
+ Iain really likes the Han Solo movie script
+ Some of the original TFA script ideas had Anakin-Vader force ghost involved (I think we knew this, there has been concept art shown of it)
+ The rest of the comments from the source looked like Ep8 spoilers so I didn't read them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

turtlecrunch posted:

+ Disney was reluctant to make any of the new characters non-white, but JJ got his way with Boyega

Any word on who green-lit Oscar Isaac, then? He's Guatemalan-American

• Locked thread