Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Welp, time to pack it in losers

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/06/15/eurorack-in-software/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Does Softube make good stuff?

There are some modules I've really wanted to play with but I'm like an Actual Poor and will never be able to afford a modular, so this thing looks like a lot of fun :negative:

e: good lord, that Korgasmatron filter addon is $40?! And here I thought I could find a more affordable way of playing with it. I've always wanted one of those :smith:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 15, 2016

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Cool, look forward to trying it out just as soon as they drop iLok.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The new Humble Book Bundle is a bunch of Make: Electronics books, including the Make: Analog Synthesizers book if you beat the average:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/make-electronics-book-bundle

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Well, Elektron finally EOL'd Machinedrum and Monomachine. On sale (at the current prices) until June 21, but when I checked, they were out of stock on Monomachines.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

minidracula posted:

Well, Elektron finally EOL'd Machinedrum and Monomachine. On sale (at the current prices) until June 21, but when I checked, they were out of stock on Monomachines.

:rip: had an order in at Sweetwater, hopefully it gets filled. Hopefully they got another digital synth box in them.

Softubes stuff is great but for that kind of money I'd just use kontakt. I dunno.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Startyde posted:

:rip: had an order in at Sweetwater, hopefully it gets filled. Hopefully they got another digital synth box in them.

Softubes stuff is great but for that kind of money I'd just use kontakt. I dunno.
I knew their comment back in February when they dropped prices to clear inventory that "don't worry", they weren't discontinuing them wasn't to be trusted. I already have a Machinedrum (thanks to a fellow goon), but didn't have a Monomachine, though was looking for one, even moreso after the price cut.

I ordered earlier today from GC online, and supposedly they expect a shipment in on 7/7, but I guess we'll see!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Startyde posted:

Same, but my modular itch was scratched with Bazille.

I had to build a new computer to actually use it beyond basic patches since it's such an enormous resource hog, but after that it's been great.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
MS-20 Mini + Arion ACH-1 + Ibanez AD100. maximum Japanese analog wankery achieved. way too much fun with this cheap hardware.

https://soundcloud.com/winston-shadbolt/korg-ms-20-mini-ibanez-ad100-arion-ach-1

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

Same, but my modular itch was scratched with Bazille.

I had to build a new computer to actually use it beyond basic patches since it's such an enormous resource hog, but after that it's been great.

Bazille just made the itch worse for me, after really diving into it you start to notice its limitations. It's still my #1 used synth at the moment.

I tried the Softube Modular demo since my computer is already infected with iLok and it feels like it lacks some polish. I'm spoiled on Bazille, which has a much better interface. I'm also disappointed that there are very few interesting presets, it's just a bunch of cliché sounds and little to draw inspiration from. I also wish there were more modules.

Probably not gonna buy it now, but maybe at a later date.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
This is a very dumb question but I tried googling it and nothing came up definitive. I I have a stereo synth but the guitar effects pedal I want only has a mono input, is the way to get mono from a stereo synth as simple as plugging in only the left channel?

I only use reverb and delay and don't delve into stereo effects much so it isn't a loss. I just want to make sure it's that easy since none of my synths have "L/Mono" marked like my older ones did.

breaks
May 12, 2001

That's probably what you want to do, yeah. If both channels aren't identical you can try the other or hard pan to one side or another, if possible.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mixers with sends can help with that as well - many are mono send/mono+stereo return, and most of the other ones have Mono/L jacks. It's more stuff, though.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
this is blowing my mind. Are any of you modular dudes doing this w reaktor? Sorcery!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Well, we already knew thanks to MOTU Volta (prob not going anywhere anymore) and Expert Sleepers that this stuff was possible, it's also now v. cool that Reaktor supports it

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

this is blowing my mind. Are any of you modular dudes doing this w reaktor? Sorcery!

Now I'm picturing a bunch of modules patched into a bigass ADC/DAC interface :getin:
Though you could achieve something similar in reverse using patchblocks.

Finally got to test drive the minilogue yesterday; It's insanely tweakable, the OLED display is a great feature, and everything feels really nice. I found myself wishing for more low-end heft and a distortion stage on the output, but that's something that can be tackled in the later FX chain. Now if only I had the space and cash.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
So I just bought a MachineDrum thanks to Elektron forcing my hand. Time to put the trusty old 707 out to pasture. Gearlust sated... for now.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Well, we already knew thanks to MOTU Volta (prob not going anywhere anymore) and Expert Sleepers that this stuff was possible, it's also now v. cool that Reaktor supports it

One of the really nice things is they have oscillator tuning and it doesn't have to be straight v/O or hz/volts; it'll figure out the tuning curve for you. Really useful when things don't track super well or for tuning things that were never meant to be tuned at all.

I have a MOTU interface so this is an option, I'm just tempted to hold off in the hope that Live eventually adds something similar to it instead of having it as a separate plugin.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

This isn't strictly speaking a synth question, but I figure this is the best thread for it: I want to grab a mixer for some zero-input stuff with fx pedals, is there anything in particular I want to be on the lookout for when I'm picking out a mixer? I spend most of my working life on mixers so I know them pretty drat well, but I never use them in that capacity. My inclination is that the crappier the mixer, the better it might be suited for this sort of thing, since the circuitry would be inherently more noisy, but that's barely an educated guess.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'd say as long as it has a couple sends for feedback loops you're golden regardless of what you get.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Don't know if this has been linked before since it's from 2014, but this is a really great post on how to synthesize drum sounds on a MS-20mini with video's and a 31 page guide. Really nice both as an MS-20 guide and as a "how to synthesize drums" guide.

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/blog/synthesize-your-own-drum-sounds

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Check your spam folders for a ValhallaDSP survey. They're giving out some new plugin once you submit it. Takes less than 5 minutes - although the site is wrecked at the moment.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I bought a used Z3000 off the Facebook modular sale / trades group this weekend. Showed up Monday. Used it last night.

God drat that's a nice-sounding oscillator. I am happy.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

magiccarpet posted:

Check your spam folders for a ValhallaDSP survey. They're giving out some new plugin once you submit it. Takes less than 5 minutes - although the site is wrecked at the moment.

No kidding... I had to reset my PW and it took about half an hour. But I have the plugin now, so yay!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

HandlingByJebus posted:

I bought a used Z3000 off the Facebook modular sale / trades group this weekend. Showed up Monday. Used it last night.

God drat that's a nice-sounding oscillator. I am happy.

Hm, I've had my eye on one of those. I want something Moogy and I'm between that, the AJH, Aion and another Dixie II+.

I picked up Mutable's new Blinds quad ring mod last week and it's so damned useful.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Tayter Swift posted:

Hm, I've had my eye on one of those. I want something Moogy and I'm between that, the AJH, Aion and another Dixie II+.

I picked up Mutable's new Blinds quad ring mod last week and it's so damned useful.

The multisaw on the Z3k is very Moogy to my ear. I don't have a ladder filter in my rig (yet!) but it sounds great through everything I do have.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I picked up that Humble Bundle with the Make electronics books, and goddamn am I not considering building my own analog synth / FX. I had a little electronics in high school but I never practiced it. The knowledge I'm picking up from these books makes it very enticing to experiment, especially because Make Analog Synthesizers has a full breakdown of how each module works.

Also Make Electronics is an excellent from-the-ground-up introduction to electronics, with experiments that teach proper soldering, component handling and precaution (they have you burn out an LED, for example), all the way through to RC networks, semiconductors, op amp configuration and operation.

6 days left on the bundle.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sticking to about the $1000 - $1300 range, I'm considering upgrading my Korg M50 61-key to a workstation with 88 weighted keys and maybe a sampler. Any recommendations? Seems like maybe a Triton Extreme would do the trick though I hear different things about how the sounds compare in both quantity and quality.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sliderule posted:

(they have you burn out an LED, for example)
pfft when I had a little electronics kit as a kid I didn't need a fancy book to teach me that

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Sticking to about the $1000 - $1300 range, I'm considering upgrading my Korg M50 61-key to a workstation with 88 weighted keys and maybe a sampler. Any recommendations? Seems like maybe a Triton Extreme would do the trick though I hear different things about how the sounds compare in both quantity and quality.

K2600x?

V-Synth if you're willing to only have 66 keys or EX5 if you want 76?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The power of perhaps semi-intentionally sinister narration, and subtitles, compels us all to behold this crazy LYRA-8 FM and such synth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krQGkPufZHs

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm looking for some advice on my setup. Currently I'm almost entirely ITB, with a handful of synths, both with and without keys. I'm trying to find a more straightforward and fun (if that's the right word-- I think I just mean quick & intuitive) way to mess around with my hardware stuff. I've got Ableton Live w/Push 2 and Reaper, which I use for work, but for my own music writing and loving about I'm curious if there's a better way of controlling my hardware than what I've got. Here's what I have:

-Minilogue
-Microbrute
-Mopho desktop box
-Small Euro modular setup including Moog Werkstatt w/CV and Mother 32
-OP-1
-A couple other random noise boxes with a combination of CV & MIDI I/O
-A mess of guitar pedals
-Three keyboard midi controllers

And I'd love to figure out a setup that has a central brain of some sort that'll allow me to control all that stuff, that is maybe less labor intensive and less tied to a screen than running it all from a DAW. I admit I've never used a hardware sequencer in my life, but it seems like something like the Beatstep Pro or maybe the Octatrack is the way to go? I'm open to opinions, so far I've just been plugging in whatever synth I need at the moment and plunking on keys, which is fine for my day job but makes music writing really slow and frustrating.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

MockingQuantum posted:

And I'd love to figure out a setup that has a central brain of some sort that'll allow me to control all that stuff, that is maybe less labor intensive and less tied to a screen than running it all from a DAW. I admit I've never used a hardware sequencer in my life, but it seems like something like the Beatstep Pro or maybe the Octatrack is the way to go? I'm open to opinions, so far I've just been plugging in whatever synth I need at the moment and plunking on keys, which is fine for my day job but makes music writing really slow and frustrating.

Possibly overkill but I've a Monomachine while, in addition to six internal tracks and synth engines, I can sequence up to six external channels (albeit with some limitations). Currently I use it to sequence my Volca Sample; soon I'll also have it controlling a Volca FM. It's a shame the Organelle has no MIDI breakout.

Less exorbitant is probably a Korg EMX, and that lets you use up to five tracks combined (internal / external) and is a bit larger in size. If you're looking for a half decent drum machine however, that might be your best answer.

Neither can do chords however, to the best of my knowledge.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

monomachine will do chords out, it'll even keep track of those entered on the internal tracks. if you turn on the arp or poly mode it'll use those extra notes.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for some advice on my setup. Currently I'm almost entirely ITB, with a handful of synths, both with and without keys. I'm trying to find a more straightforward and fun (if that's the right word-- I think I just mean quick & intuitive) way to mess around with my hardware stuff. I've got Ableton Live w/Push 2 and Reaper, which I use for work, but for my own music writing and loving about I'm curious if there's a better way of controlling my hardware than what I've got. Here's what I have:

-Minilogue
-Microbrute
-Mopho desktop box
-OP-1
-A mess of guitar pedals

MPC (and a small USB mixer) imo.
1000 or 2500 with JJOS will let you do exactly as much as you want out of the box (you'll need CV converters but MB is a start).

500 and 2000 are also options.

OT will get you there too but it's weird. It's a very cool box but some of the limitations are hair tearing versus the freedom you have with a DAW.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

MockingQuantum posted:

-Minilogue
-Microbrute
-Mopho desktop box
-OP-1
-A mess of guitar pedals

If you already have a Push 2, using it as your central brain like this is a no-brainer. Just set up a template with all of your external devices mapped to channels and sequence from the push, plus use it to grab clips as you jam.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'm in the market for a rack mounted hardware sampler and I've been looking at the akai S-Series. I understand that most of these use SCSI cables. What's the preferred method/adapter for getting a SCSI connection to work with say a newish macbook? Is it even possible?

Also this is only somewhat relevant but since when did all of the amiga stuff get so expensive? I checked ebay and there are a couple amiga 2500s that are going for thousands of dollars.

Are synth nerds driving up the price or is there just a newfound market for certain old computer stuff? Is it becoming like the retro games market?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Amiga stuff never left retrogames :retrogames:

Akai stuff, just go balls out and grab an S5/6000. USB connectivity works fine you can still use Aksys in Win7, dunno on Mac.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Startyde posted:

Amiga stuff never left retrogames :retrogames:

When will the bubble pop? :psyboom:

Startyde posted:

Akai stuff, just go balls out and grab an S5/6000. USB connectivity works fine you can still use Aksys in Win7, dunno on Mac.

Yeah might as well. I was also looking at the S950 but it costs about the same as the S5000 for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah might as well. I was also looking at the S950 but it costs about the same as the S5000 for some reason.

950s are where the lo-fi-ness of converters become desirable again (and lots of nostalgia for the 950s and 1000s with people making early 90s revival rave stuff).