Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

you can set the mac address in the /etc/network/interfaces file

also you can have the dhcp client send a requested hostname tot the dhcp server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spankmeister posted:

also you can have the dhcp client send a requested hostname tot the dhcp server

how do i do that though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Syncopated posted:

on my current 5 year old sony laptop

lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

how do i do that though

venture outside of wikipedia to the dhcp client docs

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

fishmech posted:

how do i do that though

where is fishmech and what did you do to him

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

fishmech posted:

how do i do that though

b& for account sharing

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fishmech posted:

how do i do that though

this is for an old version of ubuntu but should hold up if you don't use networkmanager:

http://www.lucidtips.com/2008/11/17/send-hostname-to-dhcp-server-on-ubuntuxubuntu/

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

My macbook pro (12,1) seems to be having some kind of hardware problem - keyboard & mouse only work as normal in 1 out of 10 boots, during the other 9 they have massive input lag. This is for OS X macOS, Linux and the apple recovery thing

tried resetting all the typical things (smc, pram etc) but no change, so my boot routine is now placing something on the shift key and turning it on (this triggers an EFI crash + reboot loop :stonk:) until it boots normally once

any clues what I can do or is it time for the thing to go in the trash?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

tazjin posted:

My macbook ... in the trash?

HTH

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Looks good thx zdr for the filters

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

take it to the apple store and have it repaired or replaced

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

lampey posted:

take it to the apple store and have it repaired or replaced

we don't have those in this country but I guess the trash is just as good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so i use sqaurespace for website but the ecommerce side of sqaurespace uses "swipe" or "scrape" or "stripe" or some such service which woint work in nz so I need to use another website for the store and I was wondering what my options are regarding the url

having two different websites running from one url
ebsite would come in handy

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 23, 2016

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

echinopsis posted:

ok so i use sqaurespace for website but the ecommerce side of sqaurespace uses "swipe" or "scrape" or "stripe" or some such service which woint work in nz so I need to use another website for the store and I was wondering what my options are regarding the url

having two different websites running from one url
ebsite would come in handy

stripe NZ is already in beta, so you may wanna ask squarespace if they can get that set up for you

otherwise the easiest thing is using a subdomain for the shop, like myshop.stupidwebsite.nz (idk wh at the NZ TLD is). If you wanna go the https://www.stupidwebsite.nz/myshop/ route you need something to proxy requests there and potentially rewrite links in responses etc., probably not worth the effort

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

is there a good non-free, non-open source commercial media player for windows? preferably that can have more than one window open at once and handle many different file types

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jenny Agutter posted:

is there a good non-free, non-open source commercial media player for windows? preferably that can have more than one window open at once and handle many different file types
no just use mpc-hc or vlc or mplayer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

no just use mpc-hc or vlc or mplayer
mpc-hc is best of the three, and there are no un-worthless commercial media players on windows unless blu ray discs are something you use and have some idiotic poo poo there

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jenny Agutter posted:

Just use vlc

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

Just use vlc

Paging pagancow to the thread, we need a codec warrior stat

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Paging pagancow to the thread, we need a codec warrior stat

this is important

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kalstrams posted:

mpc-hc is best of the three, and there are no un-worthless commercial media players on windows unless blu ray discs are something you use and have some idiotic poo poo there
it is but people use vlc exclusively because of inertia or something. like how people still use filezilla instead of winscp.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

Just use vlc
demoted to lieutenant poo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

it is but people use vlc exclusively because of inertia or something. like how people still use filezilla instead of winscp.
conservativism is universal, though to give vlc at least some form of credit - it opens most things average person will ever find themselves watching, just does remarkably piss poor job at it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kalstrams posted:

demoted to lieutenant poo

You have no authority here

Also what's wrong with vlc, it suits my needs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

You have no authority here

Also what's wrong with vlc, it suits my needs
it has legacy of terrible stability, lovely and/or outright harmful code, garbage subtitle support, piss audio support, poo poo decoding, abysmal rendering, and range of other issues. half of that is not something someone will notice watching garbage 480p anime pirated from ebay, but that doesnt warrant using free garbage over free product

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

use mpc-hc

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just jack off to one video at a time you cant possibly focus on multiple flvs

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Agile Vector posted:

just jack off to one video at a time you cant possibly focus on multiple flvs

you only have two eyes why do you need five Windows

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
potplayer is good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tazjin posted:

stripe NZ is already in beta, so you may wanna ask squarespace if they can get that set up for you

otherwise the easiest thing is using a subdomain for the shop, like myshop.stupidwebsite.nz (idk wh at the NZ TLD is). If you wanna go the https://www.stupidwebsite.nz/myshop/ route you need something to proxy requests there and potentially rewrite links in responses etc., probably not worth the effort

thanks.. the store.website answer is more than acceptable.. ill have to work out how to do it. thanks

the issue with stripe is on stripes side, i'd need to ask them

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

kalstrams posted:

it has legacy of terrible stability, lovely and/or outright harmful code, garbage subtitle support, piss audio support, poo poo decoding, abysmal rendering, and range of other issues. half of that is not something someone will notice watching garbage 480p anime pirated from ebay, but that doesnt warrant using free garbage over free product

It Just Works™

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OldAlias posted:

It Just Works
so does mpc-hc :dunno:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

so does mpc-hc :dunno:

does it work on osx?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

prefect posted:

does it work on osx?

No, but you should be used to good things not running on OSX

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whenever I try to run mpchc as my main vid player, at some stage or rather I always end up having o use vlc to play something

result is I just always end up using vlc all the Tim. it's fine

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

echinopsis posted:

whenever I try to run mpchc as my main vid player, at some stage or rather I always end up having o use vlc to play something

result is I just always end up using vlc all the Tim. it's fine

~*~MY ARTISINAL HAND ENCODED 10 BIT ANIME MKVS~*~

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does anyone have any experience with basically transfering a windows 10 install to a new machine?

I am replacing most parts in my pc that make it a pc (processor, motherboard, ram, SSD, GPU)

If i boot from my current SSD, reactivate windows, then reinstall to the new SSD will it work? Do I need to call microsoft?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spankmeister posted:

Does anyone have any experience with basically transfering a windows 10 install to a new machine?

I am replacing most parts in my pc that make it a pc (processor, motherboard, ram, SSD, GPU)

If i boot from my current SSD, reactivate windows, then reinstall to the new SSD will it work? Do I need to call microsoft?

do you have an actual purchased copy of windows 10 or are you using the free upgrade?

if it's an actual purchased copy you can just move stuff over and it'll boot and activate fine, with maybe requiring some help from the repair thing

if it's an upgrade, you're probably going to have to temporarily install 7 or 8 again, do an upgrade from that by july 29th, and that'll secure the new hardware license, at which point you can move your stuff over and have it activated

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fishmech posted:

do you have an actual purchased copy of windows 10 or are you using the free upgrade?

if it's an actual purchased copy you can just move stuff over and it'll boot and activate fine, with maybe requiring some help from the repair thing

if it's an upgrade, you're probably going to have to temporarily install 7 or 8 again, do an upgrade from that by july 29th, and that'll secure the new hardware license, at which point you can move your stuff over and have it activated

it's an upgrade and I won't be able to do this before the 29th :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spankmeister posted:

it's an upgrade and I won't be able to do this before the 29th :rip:

yeah you're going to need to pick up a license for real then.

newegg's selling 10 pro for $140: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588491
(and 10 home for $99)