Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, it's gotten really bad; the actual content is drowning in its own fan fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Erfworld is being Good at Webcomics by the same metric that Goblins is: they're really engaged with their fanbase who have become dependably rabid supporters.

Note that this does not mean the webcomic itself is actually good.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I really enjoy the comic itself, even the text updates which I know a lot of people hate, but I cannot stand how oversaturated with extra crap the website is now. The new layout is hideous and difficult to navigate as well. It's definitely pretty disappointing how they can't seem to get the administrative side of things sorted out.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Weird complaints here. Why not just bookmark the "latest page" link, same as for pretty much every webcomic?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

NihilCredo posted:

Weird complaints here. Why not just bookmark the "latest page" link, same as for pretty much every webcomic?

This is how it looks on my phone:

Half the screen is filled with junk and ads. So I turn it sideways for easier reading.

Still full of junk, better but gotta zoom in for my old person eyesight.

Holy poo poo the page is being eaten by his name!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Carrasco posted:

Huh. It's a little detail, but Vinny knowing to nod to Albert and then Duncan is the kind of thing that makes him Transylvito's ambassador.

Also, am I misremembering, or did we just cut from Ansom being at Jetstone to Ansom being here without any kind of resolution to the former? (The last thing I remember of that storyline was Tramennis saying Parson should come through the portal to Jetstone, so it's understandable that storyline got cut off. Probably just gonna be covered by a quick flashback where Ansom was awkwardly waiting around that crappy room for a few turns.)

I'm going to guess that yeah, this is a case of them wrapping that plot up later. More just needing to put the screws to Vinny and Faq in a hard time for both sides. Everything is coming to ahead, I think either Faq is going to do something that'll send off alarm bells, or Vinny is going to wind up dead. While Jillian herself doesn't seem to be aware that she's basically Charlie's muscle, she essentially is now.

Reading the whole book from start to finish again, there are a lot of plots currently running and tripping all over themselves. I wonder if we're in the books climax or middle part. Because I'm failing to see how it'll get more tense than where it is beyond Charlie actually moving in force. In which case I can see Transylvito being wiped from the map, failing that, Don King is killed and Caeser becomes the ruler. I just don't see anything working out for the side right now, there's no way the heir is popping, they feel like too large of a player in this book to simply get off scott free when no side has really interacted deeply with Parson and come off not drastically changed.

So yeah, money is on Charlie turning his guns on Transylvito, Faq occupying and Caeser and Bunny allying with Gobwin Knob.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

nimby posted:

This is how it looks on my phone:

Half the screen is filled with junk and ads. So I turn it sideways for easier reading.

Still full of junk, better but gotta zoom in for my old person eyesight.

Holy poo poo the page is being eaten by his name!

Fixed it for you. :)

And yeah I gotta agree, I was trying to read this on my phone last night instead of sleeping and boy was it a cluttered mess. At least on my desktop I can block the lovely fanwank selfies. I tried to block the permatweets and got stuck with the site trying to load them and then ublock blocking hundreds of the loving things over and over again while the rest of the page is frozen. :nallears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well, here's what you could do: go here instead. Then tap on the thumbnail for the latest update to load the article for the latest update, and once it's loaded tap on it again to display only the image.

The wiki's layout is pretty awful on mobile but it's still manageable, and this way you don't get permatweet and other garbage.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

That works pretty well, thanks.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Korgan posted:

Fixed it for you. :)

Thanks, phone posting and didn't notice I did it wrong.

That tip to read it via the wiki is a very good one, thanks also!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hahahaha holy poo poo

What the actual gently caress is up with this website.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah the site it pretty awful.

I've been thinking of it. Of the sides we tend to follow, Faq, Transylvito, Jetstone, Gobwin Knob and Charlescomm, it seems like there's a passing of generations going on within Transylvito and Jetstone, into the new world that Parson is bringing about. I've already said I don't think Don King is surviving this book, but I expect Caeser will as the sides ruler. Tramennis is already trying hard to reform Jetstone. Faq is basically a whole new side on the grand stage, but they're essentially just Charlescomm's arm, even if they aren't aware of it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

Faq is basically a whole new side on the grand stage, but they're essentially just Charlescomm's arm, even if they aren't aware of it.

Jillian knows, she just doesn't care. She was a barbarian too long to care.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

She's also been mentally violated, partly by Charlie. Who knows what lasting effects that has had?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So the 3/4 Prophecies that Parson have been called in to fulfill are

1. Wage a war so terrible it breaks war and allows peace on Erfworld (Janice)
2. Kill Charlie and protect Thinkamancy (Issac and the Thinkamancers)
3. Bring Free Will to Erfworld (Jojo)
4. Unite the world under Gobwin Knob (Stanely)

Am I missing something? I mean those last two are probably not in the "Prophecies" but still.

Rygar201 posted:

She's also been mentally violated, partly by Charlie. Who knows what lasting effects that has had?

It's probably what makes her so pliable. I'm sure Charlie backs Jillian because she makes such an easy tool. The fulfills the role of the traditional lost princess, who reclaimed her home and is now building an army so she can fight the vile tyrant who is holding her 'loved ones' captive.

I do wonder if she'll wind up croaked or turning. Because she makes me think of a final boss. Well I mean... Charlie is the final boss, but he's also unable to even move without aid, it's putting a bullet in a melted corpse basically. Everything involved with getting to him is the hard part. Just seems like she would be his "Warlord" for the final battle.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

New page

I'm guessing this archon misses the others, since back in the pre-book 2 updates, it was mentioned that Archon's lived more in a sorority

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

New page

I'm guessing this archon misses the others, since back in the pre-book 2 updates, it was mentioned that Archon's lived more in a sorority

Or she's thinking about how much of an idiot she now works for.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nimby posted:

She looks sad and she's about to be talked to by Jed the Head. Jed's entire point is this comic is basically to disperse sage advice.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They noticed that the site was awful on mobile: http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/50048/need-a-css-guru

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

How long until they acknowledge that it's hideous on pretty much every other platform too?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

nimby posted:

Ding ding ding
Interestingly, Jed has feelings too.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
This is delightful.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Why is Jed so lonely if he's got a raging party full of elves happening in his head?

e: So where is this book headed, exactly? I got the feeling the battle in the Magic Kingdom was the climax, but everything that's happened since then seems like they're plowing right through to the next storyline, and I'm at a loss for where the next logical conclusion would be. I suppose Parson and friends returning home as Transylvitian allies, and GK breaking Wanda out of the Dirtamansion? Still, the last bunch of updates since the end of the battle keep making me feel like they're wasting time, like the story can't really progress until Parson and Wanda get back, and it feels like there's little chance that they DON'T make it back, because they're too important to the story.

I really should just stop reading this day-to-day and come back in a month or two. I wonder if it'll feel like it hangs together better when read all at once. I felt the same way about Book 3 pre-MK battle after reading it all at once, and I remember people grumbling in the thread about how the plot seemed a bit disjointed then, too.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 20, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Why is Jed so lonely if he's got a raging party full of elves happening in his head?

Everyone's probably treating him as a building instead of a person.

Also, it occurs to me that getting an archon drunk and asking how it really feels about Charlie is another good way to keep the city safe. Making sure there's not another Ossomer at a crucial moment is pretty important. Same as what Jack was doing with Ansom before he left to Jetstone, except Jack didn't go the "in vino veritas" route.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Phenotype posted:

e: So where is this book headed, exactly? I got the feeling the battle in the Magic Kingdom was the climax, but everything that's happened since then seems like they're plowing right through to the next storyline, and I'm at a loss for where the next logical conclusion would be. I suppose Parson and friends returning home as Transylvitian allies, and GK breaking Wanda out of the Dirtamansion? Still, the last bunch of updates since the end of the battle keep making me feel like they're wasting time, like the story can't really progress until Parson and Wanda get back, and it feels like there's little chance that they DON'T make it back, because they're too important to the story.

I really should just stop reading this day-to-day and come back in a month or two. I wonder if it'll feel like it hangs together better when read all at once. I felt the same way about Book 3 pre-MK battle after reading it all at once, and I remember people grumbling in the thread about how the plot seemed a bit disjointed then, too.

I mean this book has shot past Book 1's page count, Hell, it's coming close to being as long as the previous two books all as one.

The plotlines still ongoing in as far as this book is concerned are:

-Tram wants to meet Parson in person. Could happen next book.
-Whatever the hell is going on with Transylvito's succession. I do not see this one not concluding in this book
-Wanda's Trial. Could happen next book
-Ansom meeting with Jillian, I see this either concluding with dusted Ansom, turned Ansom or something. I do not expect him to just leave unscathed. And I expect it to end this book
-Also whatever is going on with Albert beyond "Setting him up as a character" I see him dusting Ansom actually.
-Gobwin Knobs attempts at alliances. Doesn't have to conclude this book

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

For all artistic intents and purposes, that aftermath page with Charlie crying, Parson and Jack in prison and Sizemore as the new Chief Caster felt like a true book-ender.

I'm not sure why they didn't officially start Book 4 there and then, but I personally read the story as if they had.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

For all artistic intents and purposes, that aftermath page with Charlie crying, Parson and Jack in prison and Sizemore as the new Chief Caster felt like a true book-ender.

I'm not sure why they didn't officially start Book 4 there and then, but I personally read the story as if they had.

I think it's because it didn't feel like much had happened? I mean a lot has, but it's mostly minor stuff or just GK losing. Gobwin Knob loses Hob Goblins, recruits Juggle Elves. Charlie drains the treasury, gains the treasury. Ansom is rescued and is off on diplomatic stuff. Parson learns a lot about magic, and the army stationed there is killed. etc.

A lot happens but... not a lot has moved forward. We're still essentially in the same place we were when book 2 ended. I think Book 3's problem is... we've just got so much going on.

Book 1 was centered around the battle for Gobwin Knob, it was long, but it didn't leave that focus.
Book 2 was centered around the battle for Spacerock, and while stuff happened outside of it, that happened in Text updates and the beginning/conclusion.
Book 3 we have so much going on that is just bloating everything. So... a lot has happened... but very little has actually happened.

I think they don't want book 3 to end on a downer with so much still ongoing, a slave to the idea of conclusion if you think on it. They've set up a lot and paid off little to none of it. But like... if we cut out every moment we went to Faq, every moment with the elves and Ansom's jetstone stuff, it would probably be far more compact. But we've got so much being set up or brought up that... well frankly I don't give a poo poo about half of it. I don't care about Faq as a side, I realize they're a big player in the grand scheme but I could not give two flying shits in how they relate to the greater plot. Mostly because they're such an obvious henchman army. I've not cared about them trying to build their side or Albert or anything else. The only interesting character in the whole side is Vinny, and he's not even native to it. The Ansom political stuff could have been cool if the plot didn't take a right-turn into Charlie-Town, probably for its benefit, but it did sort of leave that plot going "Oh, huh, thumb twiddling."

But I thought, going from the beginning of the book, the purpose of it was forging new alliances, With the Elves, with potentially Transylvito and Jetsone etc. And, yeah, when you think on it, we kinda needed that whole Charlie thing to happen to make progress in any of those. Transylvito wasn't going to just ally with GK, the whole Guns being put out there, Charlie's operation coming down and potentially forcing him to act, and Caeser potentially having to put either his loyalty to his side or his loyalty to his king first is interesting... I kinda wish the Bill stuff wasn't happening, but the rest of it's interesting.

But yeah, it could have been its own book. I think, very clearly, that there's no real plan for the theme or focus on this book. Book 1 is "The Battle for Gobwin Knob" Book 2 is "Love is a Battlefield" I've not actually seen a name for Book 3. Maybe I missed it, but I get the feeling that the plot's just trying to do too much with so many plot points. This is why I'm pretty convinced that Transylvito as a side is ending this book, because I cannot see another book going on with them as political players. I'm half convinced that's why Jetstone will ally to. I may not like it, but Faq clearly has long term positioning as Charlie's muscle. In fact, I don't see how they would get to that point in the story, but Jillian taking Transylvito would turn Faq into a buffer for Charlie in front of Gobwin Knob.

So tl;dr: Book seems unfocused and trying to do way too much which is why it feels exhaustively long even when on reflection not much has actually happened that moves the story forward.

EDIT: You know what this feels like for me? When I'm playing a game like Total War and I'm not at actual war with anyone, so I'm just spending the turns consolidating my forces, building up my army and making non-aggression pacts with everyone while trying to build up enough stacks to handle my biggest foes. Now that I actually type it that pretty much has been this book.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 20, 2016

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
New text dump

Something about the sight of a crying marshmallow makes me unreasonably sad.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Maybe this is by design, but I'm confused about what happened in that last panel. Did Ansom try to attack and fail so spectacularly that all he did was make a marshmellow cry, or what?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I think its more likely Jill initiated attack to capture -> self-defense -> burnt chicken.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

lurksion posted:

I think its more likely Jill initiated attack to capture -> self-defense -> burnt chicken.

This is what happened. Ansom showed up to parley, and Jillian isn't just a backstabber, she's also a facestabber.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Transylvito stuff is probably my favorite part of this book so far. We've never really gotten an indepth look at a side besides Gobwin Knob trying to be run, beyond the problems with Heirs in book 2. Seeing how each member of the court falls into place has been interesting, seeing the machinations in the head of a ruler like Don is neat.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Don is going to ally GK and then kill himself, leaving Caesar on the throne or something.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nimby posted:

Don is going to ally GK and then kill himself, leaving Caesar on the throne or something.

I doubt he'll kill himself, but I do see him going down in a heroic sacrifice so some sort. mirroring Slately. Otherwise he'll represent the third option of Him, Slately and Bea. Bea chose death, Slately chose to sacrifice himself in battle, maybe Don is going to choose life.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Those burnt bits are making me irrationally uncomfortable.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kyte posted:

They don't look like burns at all to me, before reading this thread I thought it had got hit by a hail of paver stones or something.

As for you, it might be trypophobia. Don't look it up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kyte posted:

Same. I actually couldn't finger it until you said it.

Plotwise though, Jillian attacking and capturing Ansom when he came to parley, a violation of the Royal Ideal, is going to be interesting to see how Don reacts. I still think Albert is going to croak Ansom.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Onmi posted:

Same. I actually couldn't finger it until you said it.

Plotwise though, Jillian attacking and capturing Ansom when he came to parley, a violation of the Royal Ideal, is going to be interesting to see how Don reacts. I still think Albert is going to croak Ansom.

it'd be a right proper dust up.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

NihilCredo posted:

They don't look like burns at all to me, before reading this thread I thought it had got hit by a hail of paver stones or something.

As for you, it might be trypophobia. Don't look it up.

It's a marshmallow. The burns are caramelized sugar. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Caramelized sugar that looks like a faceful of nasty charred boils on the face of a living creature. Aside from Parson getting shot, this is the "goriest" thing we've seen happen in a world where blood doesn't come out of people when you cut them.