Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

greatn posted:

Yeah based on the commercials. I really like the look more each time I see it, his voice is really good, especially the laugh, and he seems genuinely a little scary.

That dude seems about as scary as a guy with a Fall Out Boy neck tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

That dude seems about as scary as a guy with a Fall Out Boy neck tattoo

Honestly that fits the Joker pretty well in a lot of adaptations

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah it's really stupid when people try hard.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The goof is that The Joker is desperately trying to be scary and intimidating but is actually laughable and pathetic.

Unfortunately nobody making the movie realizes the goof and wants to unironically promote this Joker as scary and intimidating.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not what that phrase means. I'm saying that instead of feeling like a legitimate direction to take the character in it feels like an affectation because they put so much effort into making it look "cool," or whatever the hell they're going for. It looks ostentatious and hollow. Putting aside whether or not it will actually be compelling as a performance, which I obviously cannot judge from the five seconds I've seen, the overall design just looks loving awful.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

There's a really big and very important difference between acting well (Al Pacino in The Godfather) and acting a lot (Al Pacino... after that).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm gradually coming around to LetoJoker. The tats bug me and the emphasis on super edgy is a little annoying but I'm willing to give him a chance and see what he does with the role. So far, every Joker portrayal we've ever gotten has been pretty good. Romero, Nicholson, Hammil and Ledger were all different from each other but ranged from good to excellent.

Oddly, my least favorite Joker was Nicholson even though he's probably the best actor to play him. No one has really bombed in the role that I can recall.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sony's movie chief said that they want Marvel to help them get the new Spiderman Universe off the ground and then Sony are going to take the reigns in expanding the Universe.

Their first plan is a Silver Sable solo film.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/24/sony-reportedly-still-planning-spider-man-universe-silver-sable-/

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm gradually coming around to LetoJoker. The tats bug me and the emphasis on super edgy is a little annoying but I'm willing to give him a chance and see what he does with the role. So far, every Joker portrayal we've ever gotten has been pretty good. Romero, Nicholson, Hammil and Ledger were all different from each other but ranged from good to excellent.

Oddly, my least favorite Joker was Nicholson even though he's probably the best actor to play him. No one has really bombed in the role that I can recall.

Brent Spiner was pretty terrible voicing him in Young Justice

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I might like Nicholson's Joker more than Hamill's Joker and I love Hamill's Joker.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Travis343 posted:

The goof is that The Joker is desperately trying to be scary and intimidating but is actually laughable and pathetic.

Unfortunately nobody making the movie realizes the goof and wants to unironically promote this Joker as scary and intimidating.

#Damaged

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's less the look of the joker and more the stories of him sending dead animals and used condoms and other stuff that in any other workplace would get you a stern talking to from the HR lady that is straight up harassment of coworkers. The fact he only did it to the less famous members of the cast shows that he's just doing it because he knows he has the power over that portion of the cast, it's just really disgusting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Silver Sable? Really? I would have thought that the forever delayed Venom spinoff would be more likely.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

It's less the look of the joker and more the stories of him sending dead animals and used condoms and other stuff that in any other workplace would get you a stern talking to from the HR lady that is straight up harassment of coworkers. The fact he only did it to the less famous members of the cast shows that he's just doing it because he knows he has the power over that portion of the cast, it's just really disgusting.

That's Hollyweird for ya!

I'll give a poo poo about it as soon as any of the actors he sent stuff to say that it bothered them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, I thought it looked like that character was trying way too hard to be edgy before I heard those stories and after I heard them those feelings were redoubled and also I'm now aware that Jared Leto is an rear end in a top hat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Suicide Squad as a whole is trying to hard to be fair.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CharlestheHammer posted:

The DC Cinematic Universe as a whole is trying to hard to be fair.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You people are trying too hard to be edgy and say how bad something is. You're trybads.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm actually kind of excited for SS, and it's not like I hated BvS, as flawed as it is. I don't think it's a good movie by any stretch, but I don't hate it. You're barking up the wrong tree, dude.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would be 100x more likely to see Suicide Squad if The Joker and Harley were not in it. Probably 50x more likely if they were in it but not Hot Topic juggalo garbage.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wanna see if they actually handle Harley Quinn well, she's a character I like but who is also super goddamn easy to gently caress up.

For an example, the Arkham games, where she's a completely infantilized mess of a character.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
John Ostrander's Suicide Squad is one of my all-time favorite comics. Similar to JLI (which debuted at the same time, 1987), he took a lot of little-known characters nobody cared about and gave them interesting, unique personalities and backstories and group dynamics. Plus, he injected some real-world geopolitics and high stakes into the stories, and always had enough comic relief and melodrama to make it feel fresh and exciting and not too much of a bummer.

I have the entire series, all the crossovers, tie-ins, and guest appearances (Janus Directive, etc), the follow-up miniseries, all the Deadshot solo miniseries, and pretty much anything else pre-New 52, which I keep meaning to get bound into custom hardcovers. It made me a huge Deadshot fan to this day, even if I feel Will Smith is miscast (I would have gone with Timothy Olyphant), and I also have a soft spot for Captain Boomerang.

I read the first New 52 Suicide Squad TPB, but found it to be joyless and overly violent, with some really out-of-place body horror -- so pretty much in line with all the New 52 offerings. It doesn't help that I don't care about Harley Quinn, and the only thing I find more obnoxious than the Joker is fans who think the Joker is cool/awesome/badass/an antihero.

That said, I've enjoyed the hell out of most of David Ayer's movies, and I think the property lends itself to being a big, dumb, violent action/caper movie, so I'll be there. I never even bothered with Batman v. Superman, though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm actually kind of excited for SS

It's not a great abbreviation.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

I wanna see if they actually handle Harley Quinn well, she's a character I like but who is also super goddamn easy to gently caress up.

For an example, the Arkham games, where she's a completely infantilized mess of a character.

Harley Quinn has a problem where she's defined by how good of a character Joker is and Joker has been an awful character for the near-entirety of the New 52. And then they doubled down on making Harley Quinn even worse even removed from Joker, like how she blows up a bunch of kids with Nintendo DSes because she's so sad Joker's dead.

Oh also the Joker's Daughter got re-introduced and she's an atrociously bad character, like one of the worst characters DC has introduced within the last decade, and somehow managed to gently caress up what little goodwill Harley Quinn still had after DC reinvented the latter as a mass-murdering psychopath in true wuv with the Joker.

Harley Quinn's just a problematic character, both tumblr-defined and literally so.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

greatn posted:

That's Hollyweird for ya!

I'll give a poo poo about it as soon as any of the actors he sent stuff to say that it bothered them.

http://www.eonline.com/news/774157/why-viola-davis-wanted-to-pepper-spray-jared-leto

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Who decided that the Suicide Squad should be cool and edgy anyway?

I mean the Ostrander series was cool and edgy, but that was tempered by its baby's first geopolitics and how it treated its costumed weirdoes as weirdoes.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 25, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Am I the only one who recognizes there's been like 2 commercials and all of these impressions are based on speculation and dumb internet poo poo the general public will never hear about?

MrAristocrates posted:

Also: the comics, where she's a lovely Deadpool.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Does anyone have some examples of comics where Harley is portrayed in an interesting/nuanced fashion? I know way less about the DC Comics continuity than Marvel Comics, so I have no idea where to even start looking.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Does anyone have some examples of comics where Harley is portrayed in an interesting/nuanced fashion? I know way less about the DC Comics continuity than Marvel Comics, so I have no idea where to even start looking.

The Injustice comics, probably. She's at her best in the 1990s animated series, but that's not a comic book.

She's usually just a punching bag for the Joker or like dude said, lovely Deadpool in mainline DC comics.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Harley Quinn was originated on Batman: The Animated Series and then backdoor retconned into the DCU because she was so popular. The comics have never portrayed her in the same way that she worked in the animated series.

Again, it all boils down to how Harley Quinn is Joker's Robin. But, even worse than that, Batman doesn't date his sidekicks, so the analogy breaks down even further. All Robins are defined by their relationship to Batman the same way Harley Quinn's defined by her relationship to the Joker.

Harley Quinn is the easiest possible repudiation for how fuckin' asinine the "Batman and the Joker are two sides of the same coin" argument is, just because of how Harley's only really worked on BTAS, where that Joker while being a murderous psychopath isn't a creepy rapist with Death in the Family/TKJ and everything he's done after under his belt, and although their relationship is abusive, he's not outright torturing her 24/7. When she became popular enough to be retconned into the main DC comics universe, she was suddenly the girlfriend/flunkie/punching bag of this completely repellant monster (over Mark Hamill's portrayal of a charismatic but still psychopathic manipulative rear end in a top hat), and she's basically never ever worked. It's gotten even worse in this decade where Joker's become a parody of himself (and there are three of him).

It must be noted that the one comic I've heard that does a "good" Harley (I've never read Injustice) kills off Joker very early on in the story (and is in an alternate universe), further reinforcing the point how she's a character that's so thoroughly poisoned by her Joker association.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Death in the Family is Timmverse canon too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never heard bad things about her series before the New 52 revamp like I do about the new version.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I think it was really confusing, I heard there were some good parts but there were moments when she got killed and spent an issue or two in hell before being revived with some supernatural ablities, all second hand information so dont hold it against me

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I think it was really confusing, I heard there were some good parts but there were moments when she got killed and spent an issue or two in hell before being revived with some supernatural ablities, all second hand information so dont hold it against me

Yeah, I'm not saying I heard overwhelmingly positive stuff about it or anything, but I never remember hearing it derided like I do the current take on her.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Didn't Harley have some big plotline in Countdown to Final Crisis where she infiltrated the fake Amazons with ex-Catwoman Holly Something and ended up with superpowers for a while or did I just dream that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You could tell me Harley Quinn lead the Black Lanterns for an entire year and I'd believe you.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

She made an appearance in one of the main Bat titles some time before Final Crisis I think, where she got busted out of prison to help the new Ventriloquist with some caper, but ended up turning the tables and helping Batman take the Ventriloquist down, earning her parole in the process (Bruce Wayne had been the dissenting vote that kept her from getting it initially). I liked it because it showed a mostly reformed, highly competent Harley earning a bit of redemption by sticking up for the little guy (part of her motive for helping Batman was to get some justice for the original Ventriloquist, murdered by the new one, because Harley considered him a friend).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is actually a problem with the movie, Batman does a complete turnaround for no reason once the acceptance threshold is breached. Sloppy writing for sure.

That's Batman in general, he's a stubborn prick. But once you earn his trust, he's less of a stubborn prick.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rocksicles posted:

That's Batman in general, he's a stubborn prick. But once you earn his trust, he's less of a stubborn prick.

A rich white guy uses his power and influence to help out his friends above others?
Seems legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have to admit I don't really understand the appeal of Harley Quinn. I guess I'm just the wrong audience for her. :shrug:

• Locked thread