Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The reason is always #mtgfinance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
SOI is a blast to draft. There are so many archetypes you can play, but I will agree that G/W/R are a little too strong in the format.

I've been Startled Awake + Geisblast doubling it twice in a row, and even though it feels bad it was funny as hell to see it happen. Both games the guy was below 3 life when it happened.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
my drafted started as U/B tonight but ended up B/R when I opened a Devil's Playground pack 3, and got passed another foil Devil's Playground.

I made a lot of little red bastards

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

just rust posted:

Looking at the MTG Goldfish home page I happened to notice on the sidebar that Nimbus Maze was apparently bought out this week, as its average price is now nearly $40.00. Is there anything to this or is this just some random speculation? (probably hot hot speculation i know)

Low stock, supposedly sees play in Bant Eldrazi lists as a tri-land, prime target for an mtgfinance buyout

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I think Nimbus Maze is a cool dual. Hope we get to see that set some day.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Supposedly sees play is indeed the number one factor in mtg finance

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Supposedly sees play is indeed the number one factor in mtg finance

You didn't hear this from me but Chud Toad is seeing a lot of play in Legacy right now.

Stockpile yours for the inevitable price spike today!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Anyone know if GP Pittsburgh is being streamed today?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

You didn't hear this from me but Chud Toad is seeing a lot of play in Legacy right now.

Stockpile yours for the inevitable price spike today!

I wish I could remember the details better but I remember one of the original mtg finance guys took a bad spec on Vengevines and spent the better part of a year writing insider articles about how Vengevine was about to spike, all because he just wanted to cash out without taking a huge loss.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

rabidsquid posted:

I wish I could remember the details better but I remember one of the original mtg finance guys took a bad spec on Vengevines and spent the better part of a year writing insider articles about how Vengevine was about to spike, all because he just wanted to cash out without taking a huge loss.

If the market doesn't go the way you want, you force it that way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

80s James Hetfield posted:

Not mentioned on the event website ( usually is if it's streamed) so probably not.

Parsifal
Jan 1, 2009

wel accually u forgot Dolan
I've opened 23 packs of EMA now. 0 mythics.

:negative:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Parsifal posted:

Don't worry, the next one will have a Worldgorger Dtagon in it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I opened a pack of EMA and got the Karakas i needed for Nic Fit.
Then opened a second one, gpt Mother of Runes, which the gf took off me for the foil kird ape she opened, as it goes in my pauper cube.

EMA is a cool and good product.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mehall posted:

I opened a pack of EMA and got the Karakas i needed for Nic Fit.
Then opened a second one, gpt Mother of Runes, which the gf took off me for the foil kird ape she opened, as it goes in my pauper cube.

EMA is a cool and good product.

It feels like the less of EMA you open the better

I know people that have cracked boxes only to get two Balances in the same box.

Mean while I've opened one pack and got Jace the Brain Bender.

BUT I GOT THAT FOIL FLAME JAB THOUGH.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Parsifal posted:

Necropotence is just around the corner!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
It's fun to spend large amounts of money of pieces of cardboard and then look at the cardboard and imagine how much the cards are theoretically worth.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

80s James Hetfield posted:

That would imply some measure of competence on WotC's part to actually manage to have content on the internet for their 'top 5 esport brand'

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

It feels like the less of EMA you open the better

I cracked two packs, and got nothing above 25c :smith:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Parsifal posted:

A friend of mine bought a box and we all drafted it together. It was fun!

There were 0 mythics.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

EMA is cool to draft and I've enjoyed it a lot but just one of the worst sets to just open.

Normally a box is always worth a fun draft + whatever cards you open but EMA's value is so poor that for the first time I'm considering just selling my boxes than drafting it. My first box was terrible value wise, the best cards I got value wise was a foil Hydro-blast.

I had fun and all, so its not like I'm super salty but I'm looking at the two other boxes I have thinking "Maybe I should turn you into something else"

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 25, 2016

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Took BW taxes to modern night last night, after replacing flickerwisp with vrynn wingmare and did MUCH better than usual.

Round 1: Norin Soul Sisters
This was a newer player playing a borrowed deck but still put up a decent fight. I was worried because Soul Sisters wrecks your flicker game but I kept great hand disruption both games with Thoughsieze/Tidehollow/Thought-Knot. Took the round 2-0.

Round 2: Grixis Control
I play against this deck a lot as a friend runs it, so I knew to go hard on the taxes angle. Got a little hairy g2 as he brought in some more board wipes but I made it there on the back on turn 2 Thalia, turn 3 TKS, turn 4 Smasher. Took the round 2-0.

Round 3: Affinity
This was against my buddy, who I test with all the time. Game 1 he smashed me good while i was boned at 2 lands and no vial. Games 2 & 3 I brought in 3 Stony Silence and, well, we know how that goes for affinity. As a funny story, i had sided out 3 of my Vials for the Silences and ended up drawing both in my opener for game 3. I got super greedy and let my vial do its work up to 3 counters for a free flashed tidehollow and wingmare. THEN I dropped my silence and got a tapdown lock with Displacer. My buddy was salty. Took the round 2-1.

Round 4: Kiki Chord
The finals, against a kid I call my protoge. This kid (I call him kid but he's like 17) comes to me for advice on all his magic related stuff and was super nervous to square off against me in the finals, to the point where he was shaking and sweating. I won the roll and immediately taxlocked him with a turn 2 Arbiter and nothing but fetches in his hand. He scooped on turn 4. Game 2 he dropped a pre-game leyline of sanctity, stopping all my hand disruption dead. Which was relevant because I kept a hand of turn 1 thoughtseize, turn 2 tidehollow, turn 3 TKS. I scooped when he dropped a nahari with a reso on board. Game 3 - a barnburner! We traded blows back and forth, and I got an early lead dropping him to 5 with fliers, shutting off a lot of his plan with arbiter and rest in peace. He ended up stabilizing quite a bit on the back of wall of omens and a flashed Resto, but i went with the sacrifice play of attacking with the team, pre-blockers blink his resto, then blink his wall after resto blinked it. Got through for exact damage the turn before he had enough mana to pay the tax and chord for kiki. Took the round 2-1.

4-0 for the tourney. This was by far the best performance I've had with the deck and it was a blast to play. I really think it needs more card advantage though, or better removal, or better aggro. Right now there's almostno way to punch damage through unless you get a displacer lock going. Even then, if your opponent has value creatures you're at a big disadvantage. I'll continue to tweak the deck, but I love it. It's great!

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

little munchkin posted:

It's not unplayable but it's very weak imo. Blue is the worst color in the set, and Black is a support color with a few powerful cards and removal spells, but few ways to actually close games out.

BR can be good if you get a lot of good madness stuff but it's really hard because all the enablers and payoff are at uncommon so they're no guarantee you'll see the cards you need.

don't forget pyre hounds, aberrant researchers and rise from the tides. Basically UR is difficult to pull off, but can have a high payoff

source: getting my rear end handed to me by UR

MoreLikeTen fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 25, 2016

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Another victim of U standing for Blue in MtG.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

whydirt posted:

Another victim of U standing for Blue in MtG.

guilty as charged

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Balon posted:

Took BW taxes to modern night last night, after replacing flickerwisp with vrynn wingmare and did MUCH better than usual.

Round 1: Norin Soul Sisters
This was a newer player playing a borrowed deck but still put up a decent fight. I was worried because Soul Sisters wrecks your flicker game but I kept great hand disruption both games with Thoughsieze/Tidehollow/Thought-Knot. Took the round 2-0.

Round 2: Grixis Control
I play against this deck a lot as a friend runs it, so I knew to go hard on the taxes angle. Got a little hairy g2 as he brought in some more board wipes but I made it there on the back on turn 2 Thalia, turn 3 TKS, turn 4 Smasher. Took the round 2-0.

Round 3: Affinity
This was against my buddy, who I test with all the time. Game 1 he smashed me good while i was boned at 2 lands and no vial. Games 2 & 3 I brought in 3 Stony Silence and, well, we know how that goes for affinity. As a funny story, i had sided out 3 of my Vials for the Silences and ended up drawing both in my opener for game 3. I got super greedy and let my vial do its work up to 3 counters for a free flashed tidehollow and wingmare. THEN I dropped my silence and got a tapdown lock with Displacer. My buddy was salty. Took the round 2-1.

Round 4: Kiki Chord
The finals, against a kid I call my protoge. This kid (I call him kid but he's like 17) comes to me for advice on all his magic related stuff and was super nervous to square off against me in the finals, to the point where he was shaking and sweating. I won the roll and immediately taxlocked him with a turn 2 Arbiter and nothing but fetches in his hand. He scooped on turn 4. Game 2 he dropped a pre-game leyline of sanctity, stopping all my hand disruption dead. Which was relevant because I kept a hand of turn 1 thoughtseize, turn 2 tidehollow, turn 3 TKS. I scooped when he dropped a nahari with a reso on board. Game 3 - a barnburner! We traded blows back and forth, and I got an early lead dropping him to 5 with fliers, shutting off a lot of his plan with arbiter and rest in peace. He ended up stabilizing quite a bit on the back of wall of omens and a flashed Resto, but i went with the sacrifice play of attacking with the team, pre-blockers blink his resto, then blink his wall after resto blinked it. Got through for exact damage the turn before he had enough mana to pay the tax and chord for kiki. Took the round 2-1.

4-0 for the tourney. This was by far the best performance I've had with the deck and it was a blast to play. I really think it needs more card advantage though, or better removal, or better aggro. Right now there's almostno way to punch damage through unless you get a displacer lock going. Even then, if your opponent has value creatures you're at a big disadvantage. I'll continue to tweak the deck, but I love it. It's great!

Can you post your list? I've been looking at hatebears forever and I already have the vials from Merfolk.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I feel like we should just make it a habit for people to include a decklist link in all play reports.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nothing like an eBay seller sending you the wrong stack of cards. This will only take about two weeks to resolve.

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

Gonna participate in a SoI draft this evening, any basic tips for drafting this set?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Star Man posted:

Nothing like an eBay seller sending you the wrong stack of cards. This will only take about two weeks to resolve.

AMA about the time I ordered a Russian Monastery Mentor 15 months ago and it showed up 2 weeks ago.

In English.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You know I'm starting to believe nobody actually knows how to draft older sets.

Edit: nevermind died round 1 to a mono red deck.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 25, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lord Jigger posted:

Gonna participate in a SoI draft this evening, any basic tips for drafting this set?

Green is the best color, white is also pretty good. Delirium has tons of payoff and is pretty easy to enable, but madness is a bit harder to build around. All the good madness enablers are at uncommon, so there's no guarantee you'll see them. Vessel of Nascency doesn't look exciting but it's one of the best commons in the set. The tribal decks usually don't work out so I would just ignore them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

AMA about the time I ordered a Russian Monastery Mentor 15 months ago and it showed up 2 weeks ago.

In English.

Jesus christ, from where? Jupiter?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

quote:

It brings up questions of informational access, lengthy note-taking delays, the timing of strategic concessions, team dynamics, even the physical interactions between players.

Tournament level MTG is so loving surreal.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Star Man posted:

Jesus christ, from where? Jupiter?

I think it was Ohio. Going to Pittsburgh. It was postmarked late May, 2015.

Oh there was also the time I got a Judge Bolt from England that took 5 months to show up because it was stuck in Customs for 4.5 months! At least that ended up being free.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

suicidesteve posted:

I think it was Ohio. Going to Pittsburgh. It was postmarked late May, 2015.

Oh there was also the time I got a Judge Bolt from England that took 5 months to show up because it was stuck in Customs for 4.5 months! At least that ended up being free.

Oi.

The person I bought from sent me four playsets of cards. Three of them were correct, but I got a set of Descend Upon the Sinful instead of a set of Declaration in Stone. I've already sent to seller a return request so I can get the correct cards because I don't want to have to drive all over Denver looking for a set. The store nearest to me sells singles for more than SCG, another one I like to go to sells right at SCG's prices, and I don't want to spend a bunch of gas trying to find a place that sells at a not poo poo price.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Nimbus maze could compete with adarkar wastes in a theoretical UW eldrazi deck

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:frogsiren: GET YOUR ZURS NOW!!! :frogsiren:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It's weird how quickly SCG went from the model of coverage to needing to pick up some tips from WOTC. Please do some timeshifted matches, guys, there is SO MUCH dead time on their modern weekends that it's pretty much not worth watching live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Count Bleck posted:

:frogsiren: GET YOUR ZURS NOW!!! :frogsiren:

?

• Locked thread