Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

It's less about easy soloing and more about soloing being boring/lonely. Pubbies are fine. I just remember struggling at points to find anyone to play with while TRing 2 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
This weekend is group xp weekend, so for the next two days it should be easy to find a group. After that all bets are off.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Oh my god Warlock is rad as gently caress.

Oh my god loot is weird as gently caress, Vorpal and Cursespewers in my rewards from Butcher's Path?

poo poo is cool though.

e: I can't find the npc to take me back to Korthos. I wanted to run through them all for Favor.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 25, 2016

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
She is way out on the opposite part of the harbor from where she used to be, sort of where the old quest that took you to the trapped library used to start at.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Thanks. Okay, Warlock has convinced me to play for at least a month. It's super fun. Are there items for bonuses to Chaotic spell damage? Are there any specific items I should hunt for while leveling up? Treat me like I am clueless and new because it has been so long.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Radiance covers light and alignment based spell power now.

Impulse for force, and fiend wants fire.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

U32 named items first look, some new system being used.

quote:

Here is the first look at the U32 named items. There will be two forms of named items in the Against the Slave Lords content. The first is your typical named items that drop as is. The second is a group of items, one from each of the 3 dungeons, that will be flexible slots which can be upgraded with a Prefix, Suffix, Extra, and Bonus effect along with an Augment Slot. All of the named items can have 1 of 3 Set Bonuses applied to it. Further information on the upgrade items will be listed below these named items.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Is there anything I will give a drat about for my Warlock from Crystal Cove, in the long term? Not that I could really grind a whole lot from it due to low level, but still.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The trinkets can be kinda cool for leveling. And maybe the heal potion (too long of cooldown though). Otherwise, not really. I think most anything else has comparable items you can get year round, even if it's not that exact set of effects in the slot, for less work and at your own pace.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Cannith Crafting Discussion Part 2.
Looks like a pretty solid plan overall, though I'm disappointed that DDO has moved over the last few years to a far more tightly tuned loot system even for named/raid items. You no longer get overpowered effects for a tier, just more effect slots, which is obviously still a power upgrade but leads to far more boring loot in my opinion. And DDO doesn't need to concern itself with PvP balance or anything, so having handcrafted overpowered loot drop from non random sources (and by extension weird and sometimes lovely loot too) was cool.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Agreed, it's also a huge PITA trying to figure out what gear to slot where with all these new effects that do the same thing on gear with a shitload of different mutations.

Haven't played in ~4 months but none of these changes make me want to come back.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Is this game still particularly active? I got the itch to play again a little while back and rolled up a new character, but Korthos Island was a drat ghost town, and even the higher-level LFG list was pretty sparse. Has there been a mass exodus of players, or was I just looking in the wrong place?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Neither really, the game took off for a long while after F2P hit, but there's just been nothing super awesome to draw people back in lately. No big expansion (because people supposedly didn't like that), no huge new interesting systems (like Destinies, TRing, Epic TRing, etc) or classes to draw people in (Warlock is somewhat recent, which certainly seemed to cause a bump).

So people are off to try the shiny new things instead, of which there's been lots of big new releases lately. So the population just trickles (at least seemingly, no numbers) downward even as they consistently put out solid (but not inspiring) content every 3 months.

That's not to say the game is bad, or is bad now, it just has issues with retention and is so much better in a group. It's a drat good game, its just really hard to group without a static group until you're capped out. And then you only really want a public group for raiding.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 8, 2016

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've been thinking of getting back into this after not playing for half a decade. Still seems kind of fun, better than Neverwinter at least.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DemonMage posted:

That's not to say the game is bad, or is bad now, it just has issues with retention and is so much better in a group. It's a drat good game, its just really hard to group without a static group until you're capped out. And then you only really want a public group for raiding.

I haven't played in a couple years now because I burnt out hard grinding everything (last thing I remember playing was epic GH), but if someone asks me "what coop game should I play with my friends?" DDO is still the first thing that comes to mind. Unlike other MMOs that are "questing that is optimally done solo with a few instanced dungeons designed primarily for groups", this is exclusively the latter. And exploring dungeons etc for the first time ever is just the best of any game IMO.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah totally agreed Truga.

Also Update 32 is now live. Has Against the Slave Lords level 8/31 quests based on the old module of the same name, Cannith Crafting revamp, and some other minor changes. Also adds a lot more appearances back to random armor in the game, which is great.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

quote:

Collectibles will be used in all crafting recipes. These collectibles can be found throughout the game, and can be traded with friends or purchased through the Auction Houses. The DDO Store also offers the opportunity to get some random collectibles along with the chance to get specific rare collectibles at limited times.

Hope you like farming prayer beads.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

DemonMage posted:

Yeah totally agreed Truga.

Also Update 32 is now live. Has Against the Slave Lords level 8/31 quests based on the old module of the same name, Cannith Crafting revamp, and some other minor changes. Also adds a lot more appearances back to random armor in the game, which is great.

Isn't there supposed to be a 4th part to the Against the Slavelords set? Did they just decide gently caress it we're not putting it in?

fake edit: I looked at the content of the 4th part and yeah, I guess I can see why they didn't put it in. Would have maybe been kinda cool to try implementing it though.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
According to the Producer Letter they want to get the hand wraps update out this year alongside an update to monk and favoured soul enhancement updates.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So I guess Monks and Favored Souls are never getting an update then, since haha handwrap update good story guys.

Woden
May 6, 2006
New race in the works. :woop:

quote:

kobold or dragonborn

:yikes:

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Dragonborn is unsurprisingly winning by a landslide.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Aww, I want to be a kobold.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Aren't kobolds the same dragonborn? Is Turbine doing the long troll?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

They're pretty similar, Dragonborns are the more human like ones. Kobolds are the crappier tinier ones.
Kobold:

Dragonborn:

Also Kobolds don't have a breath weapon.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
To be honest I think kobolds were just in there as the comedy option and they were planning on doing Dragonborn. And on the off-chance kobolds won, a lot of the model and animation work is there for them and they have enough time to throw together something.

Woden
May 6, 2006
People have been asking for kobolds on the DDO forums forever, I don't know why but a lot of people over there like them.

Was hoping for Aasimar, Tieflings or maybe even some new warforged like the scout or juggernaut.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
The vote is 215 dragonborn to 84 kobold. I think the kobold thing might be more of a joke want. I'm just hoping the breath thing is worth using unlike the shadar-kai chainwhip.

edit: Also the vote specifies

"Cordovan posted:

Assuming Tiefling and Aasamir arrive in a later update, would you prefer a kobold-themed anniversary with a playable kobold race, or a dragon-themed anniversary with a playable dragonborn race?

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 21, 2016

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!
drat. Kobold would have been amazing as a playable race, or atleast it would have been fun for the first 7 levels.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Glad to hear they're still planning on doing Tiefling and Aasamir, and that this is just for anniversary fun. I only read the producers letter so missed the actual poll so cheers.

Also more character bank slots, this may actually get me to come back to the game. Deleting raid items isn't fun even if they're junk now, as long as it isn't outrageous I'll gladly pay to hoard.

Game_Whino posted:

drat. Kobold would have been amazing as a playable race, or atleast it would have been fun for the first 7 levels.

-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution and a small race.

Do you like rays of enfeeblement and walking slow that much?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I've got a friend who wants to get back into this and was pulling me along but when I started the game up and loaded a character it would work for about twenty seconds, then disconnect from the server and slowly cripple my computer until it was going so slowly as to need a manual reset - anyone know what the gently caress is going on? This same computer worked fine with it about two years back. It seemed like when the server disconnect happens it's jacking my CPU up to 100% but when I left performance visible it was only around thirty when it froze. :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, there's gonna be Tieflings? That's the best thing, I'm gonna TR my 20 Rog into one when that happens and go through the game again I think.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I logged on for the first time in 3 years the other day. Everything was looking really quiet, even more so at Aus/NZ peak times.

Is there an unofficial oceanic server yet? Or is it just that most content is solo + hireling now?

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

Woden posted:

Glad to hear they're still planning on doing Tiefling and Aasamir, and that this is just for anniversary fun. I only read the producers letter so missed the actual poll so cheers.

Also more character bank slots, this may actually get me to come back to the game. Deleting raid items isn't fun even if they're junk now, as long as it isn't outrageous I'll gladly pay to hoard.

-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution and a small race.

Do you like rays of enfeeblement and walking slow that much?

Eh, I like the way they look. Dragonborne are just too damned big.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Kinda looks like goons are done with this game. Anyone still play? Looking for some guild buffs.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

If you're primarily looking for guild buffs, just post a character name and someone can mail you an invite. If you're looking for an active guild, that's much harder as discussed previously!

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Is it as simple to get an 11 wisdom ranger up to 14 using items as guides lead me to believe? Just trying this game now.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 30, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Pretty muc, though the hard part would be finding a slot when there's so many things to slot in instead.

Tomes are probably a better choice--a +3 WIS tome will give you the amount needed but they're a bit uncommon.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
October 11th. Lammania patch notes for update 33. Handwraps re-work. The time is nigh. I am fully hard.

Edit: warlocks shining through is only 8x instead of 12x bonus.

RosaParksOfDip fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Someone transcribed the monk notes here. Really looking forward to that. Should finally make handwraps less bullshit and also open them up to other builds.

• Locked thread