Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Highly recommend Darknet. I didn't want to buy anything on Oculus but people kept talking about it. It starts off pretty easy but I can see where it can start getting difficult. It's really cool when you take over a huge chunk of nodes at once. It just looks really cool in addition to being fun. I also bought Hitman Go. It's obviously a phone port but might be fun to play if I'm bored. The problem with casual games on VR is that they aren't very casual. I can take my phone in the bathroom and play Pocket Morty for a few minutes but it's not very casual to have to grab my rift, put it on and then play a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

Highly recommend Darknet. I didn't want to buy anything on Oculus but people kept talking about it. It starts off pretty easy but I can see where it can start getting difficult. It's really cool when you take over a huge chunk of nodes at once. It just looks really cool in addition to being fun. I also bought Hitman Go. It's obviously a phone port but might be fun to play if I'm bored. The problem with casual games on VR is that they aren't very casual. I can take my phone in the bathroom and play Pocket Morty for a few minutes but it's not very casual to have to grab my rift, put it on and then play a game.

Darknet makes you feel pretty cool when you get it down, too. Like you don't have to be super fast to hit the time limits (at least not until higher difficulties that I'm not at yet), but it feels good when you get in a groove of shredding a few smaller nodes in seconds to knock the firewalls off of something.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA0DtWADoAg

And yeah, Darknet really is a lot of fun, if you are on the fence, just get it!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How do I rebind the gamepad controls in Eve Valkyrie? The game doesn't seem to want to let me, doesn't recognise inputs when I'm at the rebind menu. Game's a blast apart from that though!

You can do it from I believe an external .ini file or something. check their forums as there was a write-up for it for those not using the standard Gamepad or X52 joystick.

GlyphGryph posted:

Returned Space Pirate Trainer, got Windlands.

Definitely feels like an upgrade, I am having a ton of fun, but wow. After two and a half hours in Windlands my heart is feeling really weird. Unpleasantly so. I also almost fell over a couple times, getting unbalanced is definitely a real thing in this game and it's the first time It's ever happened to me.

But yeah, exploring and swinging and stuff is really quite fun, I think I'm gonna get a lot of fun out of this one.

And I will figure out how to get to the top of that tower just to the right of the first hub branch. I got so close, now I just need to figure out how to do the very last bit without throwing myself into the pit and having to start over again...

Does anyone know if there's any equipment upgrades or anything? Or is it just collecting mural pieces and gate keys?

Returned SPT? Aww that is literally one of the best games still for the Vive. Love it soo dang much.

Picked up a few other games from the sale, still on the fence about Chronos as I got 4 games for the price of it alone. (Tabletop Sim, Vector 36, Vanishing Realms, and Cloudlands for now)

Finally got some actual time back in the Omni again. Got a write up here if anyone cares to follow it a bit or has any questions.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I guess I can understand why people like SPT but found it unbearably boring, esp after playing Out of Ammo and Battledome and Xortex and Brookhave all of which seem similar in a lot of ways but felt instantly fun, while SPT never clicked after multiple attempts.

Wow thinking about there reallyis no shortage of endless wave shooting games out already, I didnt even mention the several (like HordeZ) I also didnt like

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I've just got a Gear Vr, and was wondering what games y'all would recommend.

So far I've gotten darknet and lands end, and liked them a lot. I'm pretty much down for whatever, I've just had trouble finding good lists of Gear games (it seems like there isn't quite enough overlap with the oculus library to just look at that).

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Edit: never mind.

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 26, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

foutre posted:

So far I've gotten darknet and lands end, and liked them a lot. I'm pretty much down for whatever, I've just had trouble finding good lists of Gear games (it seems like there isn't quite enough overlap with the oculus library to just look at that).

I really enjoyed Dead Secret, and I think that's a port from GearVR. It's a pretty cool adventure murder/mystery type game.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

foutre posted:

I liked esper 2 for the rift, and i believe it and esper 1 are on the gearVR. It was a fun little puzzle game, and on the gearVR with the touchpad controls on the unit, it has the added benefit of you tapping and holding on your temple to use your telekenetic powers like some cheap psychic :v:. Another game, anshar 2, has a neat deal from the devs where if you buy the game for PC, or gearVR, you get both versions. I'm not sure if it's any good though. The adventure time game was really need, but painfully short. It needed at least 3 more levels, but I think its free on gearVR anyways. Oh, and if you have friends 'keep talking and nobody explodes' is fun, and with gearVR is fantastically easy to just pass around the room.

Those are really the only gearVR games I even know about though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, Esper 2 is really cool. I forgot about that one. Very "Portal-ish" type humour, with some interesting puzzles.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This has probably been asked, BUT:

I've had a preorder for a few months now, but I just checked Best Buy on a whim and was able to order a Rift. Sweet! Have they said anything about how cancelling a preorder will affect your "place in line" or whatever for Touch?

e: eh, all signs point to yes, but I didn't preorder mine until like April anyway so I'd probably be waiting a while either way.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 26, 2016

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

When you cancel your order, there should be an option when it asks you why to indicate that it's because you got one at retail. Using that should keep your place in line for Touch and give you a key for Eve Valkyrie if you were eligible for that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, protip, if you want to protect your CV1 from scratches, I tried just putting Premium Saran Wrap on the lenses. It clings very well, and even though it'll leave a ton of bubbles and seems like it would look like poo poo, it's just so close to your eyes that you can't tell any difference.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
guys, holy poo poo, get Battle Dome!
I know, I knoooow it looks so lovely. It took me a week of considering. Been having so much fun, it really shows the fun of a solid gameplay. "Jumping" down from above a ledge and slice people with an energysword, or a shotgun blast is loving great.
Especially since you can 'wave' to them in their death cam.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Poetic Justice posted:

I really enjoyed Dead Secret, and I think that's a port from GearVR. It's a pretty cool adventure murder/mystery type game.

Tom Guycot posted:

Lots of games

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'll put them all on the to-play list! Looking through the store pages, those look really good.

I was actually thinking about getting 'keep talking and nobody explodes' for pc but doing it in vr sounds incredible. And silly. Which is great.

I got the gear to try and convince myself to wait to get a more intense system till another generation comes out but it might be doing the opposite...

Context
Sep 11, 2006

AndrewP posted:

This has probably been asked, BUT:

I've had a preorder for a few months now, but I just checked Best Buy on a whim and was able to order a Rift. Sweet! Have they said anything about how cancelling a preorder will affect your "place in line" or whatever for Touch?

e: eh, all signs point to yes, but I didn't preorder mine until like April anyway so I'd probably be waiting a while either way.

Like Helter Skelter said, it's supposed to give you your EVE code and reserve your spot for Touch, but I never received my EVE code until I contacted support last week (I waited over a month). Support was quick and responsive, but it doesn't give me a ton of confidence that I'll see the Touch particularly early.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Also, wow, I need some tips to clean foam. I've been fairly good at managing sweat, but Battle Dome made it look like I was running a marathon

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Context posted:

Like Helter Skelter said, it's supposed to give you your EVE code and reserve your spot for Touch, but I never received my EVE code until I contacted support last week (I waited over a month). Support was quick and responsive, but it doesn't give me a ton of confidence that I'll see the Touch particularly early.

I don't think I ever got the EVE code - it was a preorder bonus, but I ordered mid-April and the Oculus site specifically states that pre-ordering ended like March 28th (which is kind of hilarious, as if there's any difference). But it makes me wonder about them honoring my place in the Touch queue. I'm going to email support and see what I can get, but also not particularly hopeful.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

any better options yet for streaming the steamvr mirror to a tv using chromecast (i guess just besides the desktop experimental)? What about streaming to another computer (surface), or a raspberry pi maybe?

Tweak fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 26, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You can use OBS to stream to an RTTP server on a Raspberry Pi, then view the local stream using VLC.

e: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-set-up-your-own-private-rtmp-server-using-nginx.50/

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Zsinjeh posted:

guys, holy poo poo, get Battle Dome!
I know, I knoooow it looks so lovely. It took me a week of considering. Been having so much fun, it really shows the fun of a solid gameplay. "Jumping" down from above a ledge and slice people with an energysword, or a shotgun blast is loving great.
Especially since you can 'wave' to them in their death cam.

Seconding this. I had my doubts, but I played a match earlier today and it was just a blast.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zsinjeh posted:

Also, wow, I need some tips to clean foam. I've been fairly good at managing sweat, but Battle Dome made it look like I was running a marathon

I use some sort of simple soap (glycerin or castile unscented) and wash it lightly under running water. Seemed to do just fine till I got some VR covers, now I can sweat all I want and wipe off the covers with alcohol wipes!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Battle dome does own

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
As a dude who got a free Gear VR a while ago, I'm tempted to pull the trigger on Darknet but two things discourage me: time limits (That Which Has No Place In Gaming, Ever) and a higher difficulty seems to be an issue based on some of the videos I've watched. Bought Lands End last night on a whim and got a bit urpy stomach-wise by the end.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've had an awesome experience in Tabletop Simulator for the last few hours. Once I figured out the controls I lucked into a friendly Texas Hold 'Em game and had a blast playing. Being able to physically walk around the table or lean in to see stuff better is great. I worked in a poker room for years and it brought back a lot of fun memories gambling and poo poo talking. You are even able to make the table huge and flush with the floor so you can sit down and play while still seeing the flop easily.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

MisterBibs posted:

As a dude who got a free Gear VR a while ago, I'm tempted to pull the trigger on Darknet but two things discourage me: time limits (That Which Has No Place In Gaming, Ever) and a higher difficulty seems to be an issue based on some of the videos I've watched. Bought Lands End last night on a whim and got a bit urpy stomach-wise by the end.

The time limits are like "You have an hour to crack this server." It's very low stress.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I've only played this a bit but the time limit for the ones I did were like 30 minutes and I finished them within about 7 or 8.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I've had an awesome experience in Tabletop Simulator for the last few hours. Once I figured out the controls I lucked into a friendly Texas Hold 'Em game and had a blast playing. Being able to physically walk around the table or lean in to see stuff better is great. I worked in a poker room for years and it brought back a lot of fun memories gambling and poo poo talking. You are even able to make the table huge and flush with the floor so you can sit down and play while still seeing the flop easily.

Are you able to lean around and see other people's cards?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I've only played this a bit but the time limit for the ones I did were like 30 minutes and I finished them within about 7 or 8.

Are you able to lean around and see other people's cards?

The game makes it so that the fronts are question marks until released by the player. You can lean under and see the backs, though. I've had people exclaim because they thought I was looking at their hand, haha. They see your headset and controllers moving around in real time. I just played a few rounds of "Superfight" in the simulator and mimed petting a cat/Marlon Brando gestures when I played a Mafia Don for the villian. It definitely helps with getting those votes! Very immersive experience and reminds me of just sitting down and playing dumb card games with my friends - probably the most helpful and nice gaming community I've played with (at least based off the last few days).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to reset one's progress completely in Darknet and start over? I chose the wrong node on the first timed hack, and owing to That Which Has No Place In Gaming, Ever, there's no way I'll be able to get to the data node in time.

e: oh, duh, I could just uninstall and reinstall. That'll prolly do it. :downs:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 27, 2016

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You could probably find the save file and delete it, but failing a hack doesn't actually matter in the long run.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Deviant posted:

The time limits are like "You have an hour to crack this server." It's very low stress.

I'll go as far as to say time-limits are good and ought to be in more games, but not necessarily all of the time. See Fallout and Majora's Mask, examples of good time-limits.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
They should make a charades game for VR.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mordaedil posted:

I'll go as far as to say time-limits are good and ought to be in more games, but not necessarily all of the time. See Fallout and Majora's Mask, examples of good time-limits.

I think the time limit is necessary in Darknet, too, because there's no other way to lose. Just blowing a single node hack has no consequences other than you wasted time. I'd much rather have this really lenient time limit than some sort of penalty whenever you back out of a node or trip the ice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4pzab1/oculus_tracking_is_not_stable_beyond_5_feet/d4p9vm0

quote:

A group of us from the meetup ran a stack of tests with one and two tracking cameras (tried 3 and 4, but the Oculus software currently refuses to allow more than 2). There is detectable positional swim starting at about 6 feet, but it's subtle. It becomes increasingly obvious as you get out toward 11 feet, at which point there is a software-enforced hard tracking cut-off. It's not something that's noticeable to most people just walking around in VR, but if you try to, say, sit still on the ground at the back of the tracking volume and read small text on a static surface near your face, you'll find that the text's position will swim significantly.
A second tracking camera positioned in parallel with the first fully eliminates positional swim all the way out to the 11' cut-off, but the cut-off is still enforced. Positioning the second tracking camera at the back, with cameras on opposite corners of the tracking volume also eliminates positional swim so long at the distance between the cameras is no more than 11'.
Between 11' and 22' apart (on the diagonal), there will be an increasing area in the middle of the tracking volume in which swim is present. You will also, typically, see a slight positional "hiccup" when one camera takes over as 'primary' from the other. Which camera is primary appears to be determined by which can see more tracking LEDs on the HMD-- practically speaking, which camera has a better view of the front of the HMD.
If cameras are placed beyond 22' apart, the cameras will refuse to cooperate with one another-- the software will pick the nearest camera, orient the play space relative to that camera and ignore the 2nd camera entirely.

I just found this on reddit and it seems pretty interesting. Seems like the rift cameras get the best tracking when placed on an 11 foot diagonal. This means your play area can be about 7.74 feet on each side which is about small to medium in SteamVR. Sucks that there has to be a tradeoff with each tracking style and there can't just be one easy to setup and good system. It shouldn't be too big of a deal with anyone besides someone trying to play a game in a warehouse. Many people have barely enough room for the smallest SteamVR roomscale. Chances are Oculus will be doubling down on constellation with their next generation so hopefully someone will make an HMD with as good a quality as the rift that works with lighthouse.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
If going past an 11' diagonal means you lose accuracy in the centre, wouldn't that mean that even below an 11' diagonal you'd still lose accuracy in the corners without cameras, because that's again more than 6 feet from either camera? By that logic the largest square you could get with solid tracking everywhere would be 6'x6'.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He says the max distance for a single camera is 11 feet. But past about 6 feet you might start to get some wobbling. Two cameras eliminates wobble up to the 11 foot max. So if you have to cameras on a diagonal of 11 feet, the headset and controllers (ignoring occlusion) would be tracked by both cameras and eliminating the wobble. Moving the cameras farther apart means they are both at their limit in the middle and possibly the two corners without cameras would have no tracking at all. This might be why Oculus doesn't want to acknowledge room scale since they can't support as big of areas as a device using Lighthouse can.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
They're not really clear on how they handled height in the two-camera tests; hopefully they tested at ground level so the actual distances are really more than 6', but if not then with head-height cameras you're going to get position inaccuracy at ground level in *any* size of tracking area.

Of course hopefully as they say the position swim won't be noticeable in normal use; we'll have to wait and see until there are more users.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I recently set up my stuff where I'm living now and the camera was originally sitting on my computer about 8-9 feet away from my sim rig. There was some pretty bad swim at that distance in the Home screen. Not nausea inducing, but noticeable enough that I quickly moved the camera to the window sill next to my rig.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I use some sort of simple soap (glycerin or castile unscented) and wash it lightly under running water. Seemed to do just fine till I got some VR covers, now I can sweat all I want and wipe off the covers with alcohol wipes!

Where did you get vr covers. I have a big group over every week and id love to get a cover for Friday Vive Sweat fest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Nosthula posted:

Where did you get vr covers. I have a big group over every week and id love to get a cover for Friday Vive Sweat fest.
https://vrcover.com/
Specifically check out the water-proof ones for large events or extra-sweaty moments