Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Scotland needs to pack up its poo poo and leave now before you suicidal bastards find a new way to ruin everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Hollismason posted:

I think it'd gently caress up the British Army as well aren't there a good number of Scots in the British Army?

Also, they have Nuclear Weapons.

I'm fairly sure our subs alternate between being stationed in Scotland and Plymouth when they're not at sea.

FinalGamer posted:

All I know is that Scotland didn't get to have a recount so neither do the Vote Leave. It doesn't matter how many you petition, you hosed up, the pound dropped, gave the world trade a heart attack, and the EU have seen the clear ignorance and hatred that unearthed itself, and there's no backsies.

Also I'm pretty sure we have that rule still in effect you can only have another referendum once every so many number of years. That's solid, that's why Sturgeon didn't automatically say "yes another referendum", she has to look through the laws and legals of it to see if we're entitled to another referendum due to the sudden shift in policies from Westminster.

This entire campaign is a loving travesty, lies and ignorance founded in racism won out in England and Wales and now the people have to pay for their egregious mistake. The Remain voters I feel sorry for the most because they knew this was coming.

Parliament is under no obligation to follow the results of the referendum, though. You may want to see the UK collapse for whatever reason, but if those in power decide to ignore the referendum then they can. All the referendum told the government is that roughly a quarter of the population want to leave and an unknown percentage of those voters came to regret the decision immediately upon the consequences coming into effect.

jabby posted:

This is it guys. Night of the long knives for Corbyn is officially a go, and Benn is the instigator.

Benn made a complete fool of himself throughout the referendum campaign and if he becomes the next Labour leader than their party is officially dead. They should have taken the hint when Miliband faceplanted, but I guess they want to see the Tories with a majority again because...?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/06/24/british_voters_regretting_their_decisions_a_roundup.html

The tears are the only thing consoling me.

^^
When the oust attempt fails do you think they'll finally accept his mandate or do you think they'll blame him for his non-demise, in classic style?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

The longer the Brexit/Independence process takes, the more chance there is for this feeling of injustice to fade and for economic reality to erode nationalist fervour.

Y'know, all the myriads of economic advantages of staying attached to a country headed straight for an economic depression, as opposed to maintaining free trade with a much more stable market.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

jabby posted:

This is it guys. Night of the long knives for Corbyn is officially a go, and Benn is the instigator.

the graun as an institution is publicly masturbating, which should be an offence

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Chuck Tingle has the hottest of Brexit takes.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Pissflaps posted:

I think for Scotland to get independence the SNP has to make it happen now, while emotions are high.

Because, pragmatically, it doesn't make sense for Scotland to leave one economic and political union for the sake of another one with which it has less in common and relies on less economically. I also can't see Scotland receiving the same kind of fiscal transfers it enjoys while remaining in the UK.

The longer the Brexit/Independence process takes, the more chance there is for this feeling of injustice to fade and for economic reality to erode nationalist fervour.
The timeframes we're talking about mean it's almost certainly going to happen. Feels like anything within 5 years and Scotland are out, no matter what. And everything will be happening in more like 2 or 3, not 5.

The young No voters who were also young Remain voters will feel the most hurt by this because the horizon of their personal identity is so much wider. I think they'll give up being British for being European.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ddraig posted:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/06/24/british_voters_regretting_their_decisions_a_roundup.html

The tears are the only thing consoling me.

^^
When the oust attempt fails do you think they'll finally accept his mandate or do you think they'll blame him for his non-demise, in classic style?

It sounds like Benn & co. will resign if Corbyn refuses to step down, and nobody would miss them.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Well Corbyn wanted to shuffle Benn out, I guess now he gets his wish.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Fans posted:

Well Corbyn wanted to shuffle Benn out, I guess now he gets his wish.

be a hell of a garbage day after the membership just votes corbyn right back in

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Joda posted:

Y'know, all the myriads of economic advantages of staying attached to a country headed straight for an economic depression, as opposed to maintaining free trade with a much more stable market.

This. I thought Scotland leaving before was a bad idea but why should they commit economic suicide along with us instead of becoming basically another Finland within the EU? The economic argument has changed hugely and that was what stopped Yes last time, as it should have stopped Leave but didnt because English and Welsh people are idiots.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

SUNKOS posted:

Parliament is under no obligation to follow the results of the referendum, though.

As long as Cameron still walks, great!

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

be a hell of a garbage day after the membership just votes corbyn right back in

Your Labour party has something to learn from our Social Democrats. Latest leader change was literally an appointment by the previous leader. No need to worry about that pesky, ideologically fueled membership.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

feedmegin posted:

This. I thought Scotland leaving before was a bad idea but why should they commit economic suicide along with us instead of becoming basically another Finland within the EU? The economic argument has changed hugely and that was what stopped Yes last time, as it should have stopped Leave but didnt because English and Welsh people are idiots.

please dont be mean to leave voters they might get offended and torpedo the country again to make sure

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SUNKOS posted:

Benn made a complete fool of himself throughout the referendum campaign and if he becomes the next Labour leader than their party is officially dead. They should have taken the hint when Miliband faceplanted, but I guess they want to see the Tories with a majority again because...?

Because they have no conception of the level of support Corbyn enjoys from his party, and they think (wrongly) that they have a better chance of winning their way.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I don't care about Corbyn's suits or anything about what he does with his cabinet, and I certainly don't give a gently caress about PMQs, but the Labour leadership dodged this whole referendum when they should have been convincing their base of the positives of the EU.

Ironically though, as a pragmatist, whether Corbyn wanted to stay in or not doesn't matter any more, because the vote is over. So all that's left is to decide whether he's the right person to run the left-wing party of the UK we have now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

Because they have no conception of the level of support Corbyn enjoys from his party, and they think (wrongly) that they have a better chance of winning their way.

Yep. Corbyn needs to step down for this to work.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwK0jeJ8wxg

Mark Blyth likes brexit but says it was done for the wrong reasons, also feels we should take the hamptons over by force.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hoops posted:

I don't care about Corbyn's suits or anything about what he does with his cabinet, and I certainly don't give a gently caress about PMQs, but the Labour leadership dodged this whole referendum when they should have been convincing their base of the positives of the EU.

Ironically though, as a pragmatist, whether Corbyn wanted to stay in or not doesn't matter any more, because the vote is over. So all that's left is to decide whether he's the right person to run the left-wing party of the UK we have now.
He campaigned loads. Just because the press didn't cover it because he's not exciting doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Pissflaps posted:

Don't really agree with you here.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Joda posted:

Your Labour party has something to learn from our Social Democrats. Latest leader change was literally an appointment by the previous leader. No need to worry about that pesky, ideologically fueled membership.

Fun fact, the only reason that Corbyn managed to get in is because they changed the rules on how leaders are decided. Originally it was thought of as a way to get the public to choose a right wing candidate and then they were shocked to find that people who wanted to vote Labour wanted left wing politics. They've been making GBS threads the bed ever since.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

jabby posted:

This is getting tiresome.

I'm surprised he just hasn't snapped and forced a purge or something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Didn't his party vote the highest to remain?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

For what to work, flaps?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

thespaceinvader posted:

For what to work, flaps?

His penis.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hollismason posted:

Liberals were higher but I'm not sure if they count as a party at this point, and about the only belief they have that they didn't compromise in government is being pro-Europe.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hollismason posted:

No, the Greens voted higher, as did the Lib Dems.

But of the two largest parties in the UK, one voted along the lines its leader set out, and the other voted against its leader.

No prizes for guessing which leader is being knifed by his own parliamentary party as a result. Both, of course

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 25, 2016

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

How does the coup actually work though? Like if they pass a no confidence vote, does it go to the same system as last time and if so, do all the candidates need to get a certain number of MPs to back them again? Because in that scenario, the PLP will just make sure to not nominate any token lefties.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

For what to work, flaps?

For a new Labour leader to be chosen.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pissflaps posted:

I'd agree if there was anyone to replace him with, as there isn't If Labour coups Corbyn now they're done for good.

The tories are in total loving shambles moreso than I've ever seen in my life and we have a leader who is anti-establishment and is the only one who isn't making GBS threads himself at the Brexit result.

I won't even enjoy it when they oust him then find out nobody loving wants to vote for Danczuk or Benn and go up in smoke because I already got a reluctant schadenfreude overdose on Thursday. Corbs is a bit crap but with a united Labour party behind him and a decent message he would have a good chance of winning.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

UrbicaMortis posted:

How does the coup actually work though? Like if they pass a no confidence vote, does it go to the same system as last time and if so, do all the candidates need to get a certain number of MPs to back them again?

The Blairites say yes, apparently this would not stand up to a legal challenge (and indeed would certainly cause the party to self-destruct - Corbyn remains very popular within Labour party members)

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

He campaigned loads. Just because the press didn't cover it because he's not exciting doesn't mean it didn't happen.
But it does mean that it didn't work very well. A national campaign without the media is an oxymoron - if he can't get Labour voters to agree with things he says he believes, that's a problem. My concern is him becoming the Labour Michael Howard - the people who are with him see exactly what he stands for and consider him a man of incredible substance, the people who are either neutral or against him write him off as a complete non-entity.

(disclaimer because I know how the UKMT works - this is a conversation about the Labour party and their voters, it goes without saying that the Leave campaign take far far more of the blame than anyone on the Remain side, but I already know full well whether or not they should be leading anything)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

UrbicaMortis posted:

How does the coup actually work though? Like if they pass a no confidence vote, does it go to the same system as last time and if so, do all the candidates need to get a certain number of MPs to back them again? Because in that scenario, the PLP will just make sure to not nominate any token lefties.

It doesn't. Either it loving fails, in which case they face little consequence until the next GE, or it succeeds and either a leftie is nominated and wins in a landslide, or they block the leftie candidate and murder their own party as a result. They are morons.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/hazmatt72/status/746711783713415169

lmao kendall's campaign had something more cringeworthy than kendall herself

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

knickers with a twist?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So I guess the Labour Party is looking at the Conservatives completely imploding and is thinking "hey, we want in on that fun"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/hazmatt72/status/746711783713415169

lmao kendall's campaign had something more cringeworthy than kendall herself

Don't dox me.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Hoops posted:

He succeeded. The failure was from the Tory party, which is unsurprising given that the referendum was basically a leadership contest for the Conservatives. Just as the Tory party tore themselves apart publicly and split into two camps, so did their supporters who split roughly 50/50 between voting to leave and remain. Corbyn managed to get the majority of Labour supporters to vote remain, as did the SNP/LibDems/Greens.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

JT Jag posted:

So I guess the Labour Party is looking at the Conservatives completely imploding and is thinking "hey, we want in on that fun"

I swear the SNP is the only political party not falling into complete dysfunction.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I thought that Corbyn was something close to the only loving rational political player you had left in the country or sth.

Is there a chance that this "coup" works? What instigated it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dante80 posted:

Is there a chance that this "coup" works? What instigated it?

Corbyn being poo poo.

• Locked thread