Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
A once-over with a swiffer or other type of effective dusting cloth immediately before you take your pictures helps a lot with that, I've found. For what little you miss, well, that's why god gave us photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
E

goodness fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 23, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SRM posted:

Too many posts about semantics, not enough about rad models

Okay, you start.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

SRM posted:

Too many posts about semantics, not enough about rad models

Agreed, and those are absolutely cool Smurfs!

Meanwhile, our mancave ended up moving a bit last month which meant I got to pack and move everything. I took the chance to snap pictures:

Imgur Gallery

Note that a) this is just what I had mostly painted at the time, and b) the blue-green and red-black Marines and tanks aren't mine.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

stabbington posted:

A once-over with a swiffer or other type of effective dusting cloth immediately before you take your pictures helps a lot with that, I've found. For what little you miss, well, that's why god gave us photoshop.
I was looking for my can of compressed air to get rid of any excess snow flock but I think I'd packed it away somewhere. It's kind of the problem with snow flock, unfortunately.

Drake_263 posted:

Agreed, and those are absolutely cool Smurfs!

Meanwhile, our mancave ended up moving a bit last month which meant I got to pack and move everything. I took the chance to snap pictures:
Dang that's a lot of spacemen! I've seen it before but I seriously love the bigass dozer blade that you uparmored on that Typhon.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It's one of my favorites, too! I'd love to field it more but people don't want to play against it after it plowed over my friend's Terminator deathstar the first time I played it..

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
X-posting from the 30k thread:

1. Marine eyes suck to paint. Marine eyes in those tiny slits from the Forge World heads is nightmarish.
2. I'm thinking I could give a slight edge highlight in a mid-tone silver but I'm worried it might overwhelm the models, yay or nay?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Classy guns.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Mango Polo posted:

1. Marine eyes suck to paint. Marine eyes in those tiny slits from the Forge World heads is nightmarish.
2. I'm thinking I could give a slight edge highlight in a mid-tone silver but I'm worried it might overwhelm the models, yay or nay?

Edging silver would look fine on any gold parts, though use it sparingly--mostly on the higher points. It'll add a slight bit of 'pop' without overwhelming things.

Also: what camera are you using? Currently I've been trying to take better photos and I think my main problem is just not having that great of a camera. My lighting is pretty good--three daylight bulbs with diffusion paper--so that's definitely not the issue.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Edging silver would look fine on any gold parts, though use it sparingly--mostly on the higher points. It'll add a slight bit of 'pop' without overwhelming things.

Also: what camera are you using? Currently I've been trying to take better photos and I think my main problem is just not having that great of a camera. My lighting is pretty good--three daylight bulbs with diffusion paper--so that's definitely not the issue.

Photos: I'm just using a plain iPhone 6S and this amazing lightbox:

Yes, it's a shoe box with the sides cut out and a curtain clumsily wrapped around it to diffuse the lights with a pot of leadbelcher holding it in place and the whole thing is tilting heavily to one side.

For the edging, this is the reference I had in mind:

I know for the vehicle and larger stuff I'll do some sponge chipping, but I'm not sure edging the red on smaller infantry will just look cartoony/create a whole bunch of random focus points. I'll at least do some on the gold though, good call.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 23, 2016

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Photos: I'm just using a plain iPhone 6S and this amazing lightbox:

Yes, it's a shoe box with the sides cut out and a curtain clumsily wrapped around it to diffuse the lights with a pot of leadbelcher holding it in place and the whole thing is tilting heavily to one side.

Somehow that set-up is getting better photos than I am.

I dunno, I feel like I'm doing something wrong lately. Or going about it in the wrong manner. I might be over-analyzing poo poo and there's something really simple I can do to make my photos better but it's escaping me.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

Somehow that set-up is getting better photos than I am.

I dunno, I feel like I'm doing something wrong lately. Or going about it in the wrong manner. I might be over-analyzing poo poo and there's something really simple I can do to make my photos better but it's escaping me.

I think you're suffering the same problem I had with white backdrops. Your camera's metering is getting confused and underexposing your model. Somehow, firing in macro mode exacerbates this. Try a grey or black backdrop rather than pure white. Or even a blue gradient for that true oldschool styling.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Mango Polo posted:

The Vallejo liquid gold paint line is great for this kinda thing. It's super thin and takes many layers when applied by brush to really see the base color come through. It just kinda adds a nice metallic glint when you apply a couple layers. You can do really subtle highlights to gold and bronze with the silver.

What red metallic paint is that? It looks real nice.

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 24, 2016

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

I think you're suffering the same problem I had with white backdrops. Your camera's metering is getting confused and underexposing your model. Somehow, firing in macro mode exacerbates this. Try a grey or black backdrop rather than pure white. Or even a blue gradient for that true oldschool styling.

I tried using a black backdrop and I got an overexposure effect, making it look like total rear end. A grey or blue gradient might be the ticket though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

I tried using a black backdrop and I got an overexposure effect, making it look like total rear end. A grey or blue gradient might be the ticket though.

I think it's much more of a camera problem than a backdrop problem. I have no problems with my phone, old Fuji compact or Canon DSLR but my new Sony bridge camera exhibits the exact behaviour you describe.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You also don't need to be zoomed in as much, nothing will look good up that close

Have a look at the zoom of everyone else you'd consider good photography

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

I think it's much more of a camera problem than a backdrop problem. I have no problems with my phone, old Fuji compact or Canon DSLR but my new Sony bridge camera exhibits the exact behaviour you describe.

Yeah, up until I get a different camera I have to make do with what I have.

Skarsnik posted:

You also don't need to be zoomed in as much, nothing will look good up that close

Have a look at the zoom of everyone else you'd consider good photography

I actually keep the camera back by about a foot or so and just hit the macro button. I might move it back a bit more, or just not hit the macro button and slide it in different positions to see what I get.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up 2 Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes for the first time. Up until now I've just been using cheap ones bought from the local gaming store.

How much of a world of difference am I getting in to? Any tips or tricks to them, will i need to pick up new painting techniques, etc? I know people hail them as top tier quality.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

CommissarRed posted:

I just picked up 2 Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes for the first time. Up until now I've just been using cheap ones bought from the local gaming store.

How much of a world of difference am I getting in to? Any tips or tricks to them, will i need to pick up new painting techniques, etc? I know people hail them as top tier quality.

It's still a brush, it's a better brush, but it's still a brush.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I gotta get into some actual sable brushes as well as this happened to my synthetic after maybe five hours of use.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mugaaz posted:

It's still a brush, it's a better brush, but it's still a brush.

Yep. Your skill isn't going to magically increase. As long as your brush has a point it's fine - W&N7 just happen to have good points. I bought some a year or two ago and have been using my cheaper W&N watercolor sables and other cheap/mid cost brushes this whole time instead because I'm afraid of ruining the 7s lol.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The main advantage is compared to cheap and mid-tier brushes they come to and hold a much nicer point which really shines doing detail work. I rarely need to use my W&N Size 0 because the 1 is so versatile whereas before with a cheap set I'd be down to using 3/0 and 2/0 just to get tight paint control. With the finer tip from a larger brush you can hold more paint and not have it dry on the brush as fast.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

I gotta get into some actual sable brushes as well as this happened to my synthetic after maybe five hours of use.

I picked up a synthetic Testors brush locally while waiting for a Sable Reaper brush I ordered to come in and it did that almost immediately.

I figured the Sable Reaper brush would be good enough until I got around to ordering a new Series 7. I haven't really used it much since I found my old Series 7.

BTW, is there an online shop that sells Series 7s alongside model paint or minis or other supplies? I like having a backup in case I do something dumb with my good brush. I either want to add it on to something else I want or wrangle together a couple of friends who also want one and go in on an order together.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Does Amazon count? That's where I get all my W&N brushes.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

This is why I bought them. All the models I've been painting have been with brushes that look like this.

I wasn't expecting to suddenly be a golden demon winner, but i'm glad to hear they keep a point better. I've found the majority of sloppiness on my models comes from stray points and hairs going where I don't want them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GoodBee posted:

I picked up a synthetic Testors brush locally while waiting for a Sable Reaper brush I ordered to come in and it did that almost immediately.

I figured the Sable Reaper brush would be good enough until I got around to ordering a new Series 7. I haven't really used it much since I found my old Series 7.

BTW, is there an online shop that sells Series 7s alongside model paint or minis or other supplies? I like having a backup in case I do something dumb with my good brush. I either want to add it on to something else I want or wrangle together a couple of friends who also want one and go in on an order together.

If you're in the US, Dick Blick sells them too.

CommissarRed posted:

I wasn't expecting to suddenly be a golden demon winner, but i'm glad to hear they keep a point better. I've found the majority of sloppiness on my models comes from stray points and hairs going where I don't want them.
Just make sure you rinse them well and occasionally use some brush soap on them to condition the bristles. Take care of your tools!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I've got some W&NS7s and they're super nice, definetly improved my work over the GW standard brushes I was using before. I tend to be negligent in caring for my brushes though so I recently bought a whole bunch of different brush types from Dick Blick in an attempt to find something that performed well but was cheap enough to not worry about maintaining. Some of them were pretty good. If i have time tonight I'll take some pics and write up some reviews.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The best part about the "W&N7 is the best for minis painting" meme is that you'll have people who are completely new to painting but have lots of disposable income recommend it to other newcomers. Then they proceed to use it for drybrushing and thin your paints jobs. :evilbuddy:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

If you're in the US, Dick Blick sells them too.

That's where I got mine last time. I went in with some friends and we got a handful of them.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Does Amazon count? That's where I get all my W&N brushes.

I think I browsed there a bit but they had a lot of poorly tagged crap from 3rd party sellers show up and I gave up. I can probably figure out how to buy the correct brush there. And I can add it onto any other random crap I want, not just hobby stuff. Thanks for the reminder.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

CommissarRed posted:

This is why I bought them. All the models I've been painting have been with brushes that look like this.

Yeah, I've got another synthetic that got the tip curl after maybe an hour. Getting good brushes is not about being an amazing painter but making my hack jobs be less of a frustrating experience.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

GoodBee posted:

I think I browsed there a bit but they had a lot of poorly tagged crap from 3rd party sellers show up and I gave up. I can probably figure out how to buy the correct brush there. And I can add it onto any other random crap I want, not just hobby stuff. Thanks for the reminder.

This is the listing I've used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013E68SU

Pretty much the whole range available, with Prime. I dunno if they have the Miniature line, though.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

You want to turn the brightness down on dark backdrops and up on white backdrops if you're not doing that already. I just take pictures on my phone, and most smart phones from last few years will let you do this somewhere in the camera settings.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

This is the listing I've used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013E68SU

Pretty much the whole range available, with Prime. I dunno if they have the Miniature line, though.

You don't want the Miniature line - the brush doesn't have enough body to hold a decent amount of paint.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Slimnoid posted:

Don't know what camera you're using, but check the settings for light measurement points. It's probably sampling multiple points by default. You want it to sample on a single point in the center. If everything else is set to automatic and you put the mini in the center of the frame, it'll adjust exposure time so that it's not under- or overexposed. Check it out, even old point and shoot usually have this option somewhere.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah, I've got another synthetic that got the tip curl after maybe an hour. Getting good brushes is not about being an amazing painter but making my hack jobs be less of a frustrating experience.

Are you washing your brushes with hot water? That'll melt the glue that holds the bristles in place and ruin a brush after one use.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
A good sable brush and some Masters brush soap is a one time investment.

Both in your tools and your sanity.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've never had any luck with sable brushes but everyone should have some of those soap pucks. I don't think I've ruined a brush since getting one.

Sleepyjacked
Sep 21, 2010

I have my first real game of Infinity coming up this weekend, and with my Nomad Starter being more-or-less finished, I'm getting real pumped to play. I figured I'd share my minis with all the inspiring talent here and see what you think.
Some of the bases aren't painted yet, and the Grenzer has some nicks that need touching up... AND the pictures may not be the best quality, but I would really appreciate any feedback any of you may have.
I'm always trying to find the balance between quality and speed, though I feel I could do better with both.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

They are all really great but I really love your skin work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Is there a recommended putty for gap filling? I see Green Stuff being named all the time, but that almost seems like a catch-all for modeling putty. Is there any real difference between that stuff and any other 2-part epoxy?